15+ Year Old Account

Discipline Priest Needs Advices and Help in PvP

Hello, i know that disc priests are well represented in arena, mainly on 2v2. im not here to flame or be flamed, i just want some help cuz i like my priest and being disc, but im doing something wrong and i would love to improve my performance. Me and my rogue are sitting at 1600 atm, its low i know, but thats why i need help . I have 930 resi and around 20k health e 2k spellpower, heres my armory link http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Enfermidades

Now, warriors are a pain to deal with, and MM are insane. too much pressure from rogues and i get manaburned without being able to fight back. When this not happens, i run oom all the time, because otherwise my partner dies . ive been reading around and all i see is "disc has almost infinite mana" or "disc takes years to go oom". Well, i concluded that it was me. I know my build is extremely defensive atm, but its because i wanted to survive more =/ like i said i realize that is me and im here to get some advices. my current setup is a mut/prep rogue. Any advices for a low bracket priest who wants to improve?

thanks for your time, and sorry, english is not my first language, so forgive me for grammal erros.

Facemelting people since 2005.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Discipline Priest Needs Advices and Help in PvP

bumping for aswers =/

Hey Frizer, first, I'm assuming your rogue uses the standard mut/prep spec. I noticed he has a fair bit of pvp gear, but rogue survivability really helped my 2s (priest rogue), rogue I played with started in full pve gear ... I just started to play priest rogue recently. You can check me out, my spec and gem/chant scheme is pretty offensive, with a lot of crit and big heals, not as much toward survivability bc rogues can be really good with peels. One thing I see that could help you is getting 4 pc healing set bonus, your shield is huge, especially since everyone and their bro has a ms debuff. Spell pen can be really nice also, although I've seen a couple really high rated d priests with little to no sp (a resisted fear can be game breaking). Other than that, I dont see anything all that off with your choices. Maybe a few tweaks here and there at most.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...aiders&n=Monkk

I think the real issue is play style. Priest rogue can be a strong comp obviously, but it takes a lot of communication, and your rogue has to keep ppl off of you, especially melee, which rogues can do really well versus most classes. Watch for trinkets, then you should be licking your chops! Be really offensive, especially as a belf (I'd give my left nut for arcane torrent as an offensive interrupt/silence), get a sap off every time, and open on the other guy (get into combat via offensive dispel if there is an enemy rogue around), cycle cc's, and watch for trinkets. Once that trinket is blown, keep them cc'd (dont forget about mind control), and burst/mana burn. Shadowfiend can even help with burst, just dont waste it. The key is keeping one of them locked down and the dmg high enough to force his partner to go defensive.

Toughest thing for us atm is pillar humpin' druids with melee (mainly dk's and warr's), or prot pally healer and melee. If anyone else has insight here, I'm all ears.

Hope that helps, throw up a post and let me know if that works for ya.

Cheers.

15+ Year Old Account

Hey, thanks a lot for your post ? may i ask a few questions? here i go

1) for mana issues, absolution its not a good thing? (i see you dont have it)
    2) you say to play on offense, very, so divine fury sounds good (for me, but idk really) why use crit instead?
    3) should i replace my jc resi gems with sp ones? my resi will drop 75 points but ill get almost 100sp what do you think? ill be at 800 resi with set bonus and sp gems, im at 930 right now
    4) that 6% haste of enlightenment, its important at all? i use it cuz i found 6% good, but mostly top priests dont use it
    5) any advice to mana management? i go oom too fast...

thanks for your feedback =)

Hey, np.

1) It can be, I go back and forth on it, but I dont tend to spam dispel. It's just not as effective as it once was, although I'm sure some ppl would argue with me on that.
    2) This is the talent I go back and forth on most, tbh. My burst atm consists of holy fire, mb, swd, which bc of my spell pen and hit, almost always land. The extra crit is nice on my rogue versus warr's or dk's when they catch him out. I dont use gheal, and with divine aegis holy spec is just sexy for bomb heals. But yeah, I go back and forth on this a lot.
    3) I did, but it just depends. You are not yet in full pvp gear, if you end up dying a lot you might not be able to sack the resil. Have your rogue keep the peels up and feel it out.
    4) I tend to be limited by my cd's, and interrupts, and if someone is gonna interrupt you 6% haste isnt really gonna help much. Better spent elsewhere imo.
    5) Shield is your best friend. Keep it up on whoever is being focused EVERY time weak soul wears off. That will give you mana. Also, penance is amazingly efficient, renew is also if its not being dispelled. POM beats all if you are both taking dmg, stay within its range and los. Its tough, but try to get off a full hymn of hope. And get drinks in whenever possible. Again, ppl will probably argue this point, but spam dispel can be a mana sink.

Also, btw, be sure your rogue stays in range and los if you are being spam cycloned, if you button mash you can always get off a shield or pom between cyclones.

15+ Year Old Account

man, really really thanks ill try my best with the advices u gave me. tyvm!

Just a few quick thoughts....

While the extra +50 resilience you can gain by getting 2 2-pc set bonuses is nice at lower resilience levels, it diminishes in relative value as you get to an 'acceptable' level of resilience. You'll find that the ability to reapply PWS 2 seconds faster makes the 4pc bonus offer a lot more towards survival (esp against MS teams) at functional resilience levels. You're sitting at over 900 now, so this would be a good time to make that switch.

Also, it looks like you're opting for a priority towards dps gearing (satin/dominance/subjugation). I'd encourage you to start looking at getting the mooncloth/salvation pieces - in higher ratings your inherent regen will be more critical unless you and your partner are able to reliably create opportunities for you to drink.

For glyphs, the penance and PS glyphs are no-brainers, but I'd consider dropping the PWS for Inner Fire glyph. That's a huge amount of armor to pick up, and a relatively modest heal lost every 13-15 seconds.

For talents, there's a lot of different opinions that all have merit based on playstyle/comp as to different sets... The only choice you've made which I would say absolutely warrants a change is the absence of Imp. Fort. Even if the additional stamina it provides in the buff to your team is lost from dispel, you still maintain the extra 4% stamina from the talent.

Best of luck!

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Your resilience is pretty much where it needs to be. There are disc priests in the 2000s who are in the 900s in resilience.

As for spec, I would say to take pts out of renew. I see renew as more of a waste of mana since penance, PoM is usually enough. I also wouldn't put pts into Absolution. I am a believer in dispelling as much as you can (it helps your partner a lot and can force certain classes to change strategy) assuming it's not taking away from anything else, but you shouldn't really need to reduce the mana cost.

Put the 2nd point in Renewed Hope, and I would suggest putting pts in Divine Fury and maybe Searing Light. It helps a lot if you can help dps and Divine Fury + Searing Light + Power Infusion = 2k+ dps. Not a lot but it will win you quite a few matches.

Do NOT put any pts in Enlightenment unless you've stacked haste, which you have not. Unless I've gone crazy it's a % increase to your haste rating, so if you have a low haste rating it's practically nothing. I got that talent thinking it would increase casting speed by 2/4/6%, but that's not the case. The spi bonus is nice, but you can get that from gems.

Also, for mana problems make sure you bust shadowfiend early. There's no reason not to use it if you're below 80% mana. You definitely don't want to be at 20% mana and try to use it then. Also, a fear/shield/hymn is good when you really need it although i prefer to dps after a fear.

15+ Year Old Account

thanks guys, it will really help. ive made some ajusts to my tree, now it should work better, sadly i dont have enough points to imp:f atm, since i use reflective shield to help dps.... i saw most high ends priests dont use it, the top1 2v2 priest/rogue of my battlegroup, which is nightfall, use imp:f instead of reflective in the last few days, but back in time a little and hes using RS. so i dont know, maybe i should get more gear first =/. and yes, ill replace the set with mooncloth, the dps itens came from voa, i mean, the robe actually... but 13 seconds pw:s should help. thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Frizer
    sadly i dont have enough points to imp:f atm, since i use reflective shield to help dps....
    Doesn't have to be an either/or :-)

Both are stellar in 2's. Pull a couple of points from Absolution perhaps.

Also, I'm in agreement with Blee re: moving 3 pts from Imp. Renew to Holy Spec. Renew is lackluster for disc in any scenario, and giving it an extra 15% just makes very little difference. You could argue the same on Holy Spec, but if you're using a Div. Aeg. build it's a better investment.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

I disagree with renew being lackluster, it is one of the most efficient heals, and for steady dmg over time when it is not being dispelled, pro imo. Difft styles maybe, /shrug.

15+ Year Old Account

so, move the 3 points of absolution to 2/2 imp fort and 2/2 renewed hope?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkk
    I disagree with renew being lackluster, it is one of the most efficient heals, and for steady dmg over time when it is not being dispelled, pro imo. Difft styles maybe, /shrug.
    "Lackluster": lacking in vitality, force, or conviction; uninspired or uninspiring

I was not inferring that it should not be used, merely that an investment of 3 talent points there generates very little impact given the resulting difference of healing done, particularly in pvp gear and lacking consumable/raid buffs to strengthen overall SP. Of course it should still be used in a PVP environment.

As to PVE, it's a pretty poor investment of a GCD in raids as its effective healing will generally be sniped and converted to overheal.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

so, move the 3 points of absolution to 2/2 imp fort and 2/2 renewed hope?
    No. 2 or 3 points in Absolution are neccessary. Dispelling is one of your most powerful tools and mana cost reduction helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkk
    Just need to clarify that I didn't mean that it's bad and should never be used. If I'm running around and penance, PoM are on CD I usually cast it (better than nothing).

But as Bigslick mentioned, 15% on a small amount isn't really worth the talent points when there are better talents available.

Still don't agree on putting points in Absolution but I think that's b/c of differing arena strategies. My 2v2 team is based more on burst and most of our fights end relatively quickly so mana isn't a huge issue. Also, keep in mind that dispel-spamming usually only happens in the first 15-20 seconds or so. After that the only thing you're gonna be dispelling are abilities like innervate or that pally-mana thing. It is always great to save mana cost, so just think about your style of play and what fits best.

i dont have enough points to imp:f atm, since i use reflective shield to help dps.... i saw most high ends priests dont use it, the top1 2v2 priest/rogue of my battlegroup, which is nightfall, use imp:f instead of reflective in the last few days, but back in time a little and hes using RS.
    I tend to think of things in terms of +/- when possible. My shield is about 5k, glyph heals 1k, and reflect shield dmgs 2k, so in my head I'm thinking that's a 5+1+2 = 8K +/- for a single instant-cast spell that you use every 13 seconds with the set bonus. If you're casting it on your partner too, it's a 16K +/- (versus 12K without reflect shield) which is pretty huge for 2 GCDs. Pretty sweet IMO.

However, higher-end players know that it's better to cc a disc priest than try to kill one. In those cases reflect shield becomes kinda useless.

In the end, I keep it just so I can keep watching people die on shield while I stand there and /hug. That's the best =)

If I could add another question onto this one. As far as partners in arenas, what should we aim for? Pure DPS or something more sturdy?

Quote Originally Posted by Aetas
    If I could add another question onto this one. As far as partners in arenas, what should we aim for? Pure DPS or something more sturdy?
    Disc pairs up with lots of options for 2's. Rogues, DK's, and Ret Pallies are easiest imo, followed by Lock, Feral Druid, and Warrior.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic