Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Re: Disc toping the meters? - Allways.

/sigh

Interesting thread (if not controversial) turned epeen flamefest ftl.

Seriously, nothing is gained by being haughty. If you think a strategy has flaws, point it out. I still am unconvinced that this is effective over longer/harder fights in guilds that have more attentive raiders.

Was that so hard?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritusVex
    /sigh

Interesting thread (if not controversial) turned epeen flamefest ftl.

Seriously, nothing is gained by being haughty. If you think a strategy has flaws, point it out. I still am unconvinced that this is effective over longer/harder fights in guilds that have more attentive raiders.

Was that so hard?
    i dont know about harder fights (but i hope to find out) but if u reffering to how long i can keep it up before crying for some mana then i would say alot, on 12 min fights i usualy go oom 2 times, with my current set up u use owl twice fiend twice the crazy alch pot and hymn once all that give back alot of mana, and if all fails after 12 min i can always hope for some mana tide or innervate.

if by harder fights you mean more frequent same amounts of dmg then my hps will still be through the roof, if by harder u mean same timing on hits but much more dmg then i might rething the gear set up into bigger stronger shields with more spell pwoer...

atm prioritizing targets and mainly spaming shileds does the job cant speak about later and stuff i dont know.
    Paranoid Tank: "Always be prepared for something to eat the healer..."

First, this isn't exactly anything new. Shield spamming started the instant shield had no cd. Second, in every fight that you've done, and most hard modes for that matter, there is virtually no time when someone can't get healed fast enough after taking dmg to the point that the extra absorb from a shield would save them EXCEPT in the case where that raider is retarded and takes more dmg than they should. But saving them doesn't make your strategy better, it just means that person sucked and needs to shape up lol You use kologarn as an example. I say: who cares if you mitigate all that dmg? It's not like it's gonna kill anyone unless they're just retarded and get hit by a tick or two of eyebeam, or stand next to rubble, or whatnot. On ignis: who cares if you mitigate a lot of the aoe dmg? It's not like the pitiful amount of dmg he does is gonna kill anyone. Now that being said: I'm not discounting the value of a well-timed, well-used shield. It's great, it can and does save people on occasion, especially during hardmodes. (thorim chain lightning + sif frostbolt comes to mind, or stormbolt(or whatever the instant cast one is) + earth tremor on freya, but even that can be prevented by a well-timed stun, and a bit of frost resist alleviates a lot of instagibs on thorim as well) Basically, this is my point: a resto druid rejuv spamming is going to be more effective at healing everyone than you can be shielding everyone. They can get to more people because of the 1s gcd, and each cast has the potential to heal for more than your shield, even tho it will rarely get the full effect (just as a shield sometimes doesn't get eaten) Oh, and a druid can spam rejuv a hell of a lot longer than you can spam shield, even with your crazy amounts of int. I can't remember the last time I went oom (oh, yes i can: vezax hardmode :-D ) and I don't even use spark of hope except on vezax. With that equipped, ooming a rejuv spamming druid is nearly impossible. SOO, all that to say this: stop mindlessly spamming shield. Use it of course, but use it in a more productive, thoughtful manner. Spamming it on everyone is not needed in any way whatsoever and is simply a waste of discs awesome tank healing abilities. Keep an eye on people that are being stupid and standing in the wrong spot and shield them, or shield that person with the debuff or in the pot, or picked up by kolo or w/e it is, but afterwards, go back to penancing the tank and do what a disc priest is designed to do and does best: healing the tank. Let the druids and holy priests (and shammies after the patch) who are better suited for raid healing do the raid healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Leynal
    First, this isn't exactly anything new. Shield spamming started the instant shield had no cd. Second, in every fight that you've done, and most hard modes for that matter, there is virtually no time when someone can't get healed fast enough after taking dmg to the point that the extra absorb from a shield would save them EXCEPT in the case where that raider is retarded and takes more dmg than they should. But saving them doesn't make your strategy better, it just means that person sucked and needs to shape up lol You use kologarn as an example. I say: who cares if you mitigate all that dmg? It's not like it's gonna kill anyone unless they're just retarded and get hit by a tick or two of eyebeam, or stand next to rubble, or whatnot. On ignis: who cares if you mitigate a lot of the aoe dmg? It's not like the pitiful amount of dmg he does is gonna kill anyone. Now that being said: I'm not discounting the value of a well-timed, well-used shield. It's great, it can and does save people on occasion, especially during hardmodes. (thorim chain lightning + sif frostbolt comes to mind, or stormbolt(or whatever the instant cast one is) + earth tremor on freya, but even that can be prevented by a well-timed stun, and a bit of frost resist alleviates a lot of instagibs on thorim as well) Basically, this is my point: a resto druid rejuv spamming is going to be more effective at healing everyone than you can be shielding everyone. They can get to more people because of the 1s gcd, and each cast has the potential to heal for more than your shield, even tho it will rarely get the full effect (just as a shield sometimes doesn't get eaten) Oh, and a druid can spam rejuv a hell of a lot longer than you can spam shield, even with your crazy amounts of int. I can't remember the last time I went oom (oh, yes i can: vezax hardmode :-D ) and I don't even use spark of hope except on vezax. With that equipped, ooming a rejuv spamming druid is nearly impossible. SOO, all that to say this: stop mindlessly spamming shield. Use it of course, but use it in a more productive, thoughtful manner. Spamming it on everyone is not needed in any way whatsoever and is simply a waste of discs awesome tank healing abilities. Keep an eye on people that are being stupid and standing in the wrong spot and shield them, or shield that person with the debuff or in the pot, or picked up by kolo or w/e it is, but afterwards, go back to penancing the tank and do what a disc priest is designed to do and does best: healing the tank. Let the druids and holy priests (and shammies after the patch) who are better suited for raid healing do the raid healing.
    Very nice post I agree with it all (:

I think the word that u used most is "Retarded".... hmmm is that how u call non hardcore ppl this days? nice.

I thought i made it clear few times that we do have alot of accidental damge that you might not. so for us yes kolo still killsppl and yes some ppl dont look up on the sky to move away from razor for not geting the blue fire on them...

oh and here is our difference my friend, its coz of ppl like you disc priest dont get raid spots... coz ppl like you think that "do what a disc priest is designed to do and does best: healing the tank." shame...

im just showing that ure worng and we can do raid healer role as good as any other healer.

and again some HPS logs to back up your statments would be nice.

p.s.
    every encounter can be done fine without disc, all im saying every encounter can become abit less stressfull for healers with a spammer disc.

kolo left hands aoes once every 30 seconds or so? Right hand picks up ppl which can still be healed. 2 beams surround the target and then close together to form one, no need to look up. Only person that could die really is the tank taking the debuff.

This is not about 'hardcore' 'casual' or whatever word you want to use. The amount of time you spend on the game has absolutely no bearing whatsoever and does not give you an excuse to stand in the wrong place, or to do the wrong thing. When people do the wrong thing, as everyone does, including so called 'hardcores' they need to learn from it and not do it again. Deaths happening over and over to stupid things like that is NOT a function of how 'casual' or 'hardcore' your guild is. It is a simple matter of people being temporarily stupid and not doing the right thing. Hence, they need to shape up and do the right thing regardless of how much time they were logged in that week.

Now, I would NEVER deny a disc priest a raid spot. Why would I? I think a disc priest is great, and I'm leveling one myself right now. I'm not saying anything bad about disc priests, or debating their usefulness. I'm simply making a point that spamming shield constantly and ignoring (for the most part) the amazing tank healing talents a disc priest has is just not a very good idea. That's all. I'm not even saying it can't be 'effective'. In fact, it's very effective at what it does: mitigating damage. However, my argument is that that mitigation is not needed and the other, overall more effective role of the disc priest is going to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Screecher
    kolo left hands aoes once every 30 seconds or so? Right hand picks up ppl which can still be healed. 2 beams surround the target and then close together to form one, no need to look up. Only person that could die really is the tank taking the debuff.
    screech if you would like to continue different bosses encounters with "pros" vs. "cons" then we should make diff thread.
    you will bring 10 places when it does not that effective like razor 2nd phase and ill bring 10 good places like ignis, where my random casted bubble gives the healers one more tick time to target the person in pot.

if you want to compare your greatness to others fine, do it in other place if you wish to comment on the strategy and point out it flaws or strong sides then be my guest.

You brought up the kolo fight and said yourself still have deaths, I'm very curious how on such an easy fight or are you going to argue against the world saying its difficult? Do you not have vent/dbm for the ignis fight to call out the pot? Ignis healing is a joke druids/priest will bring everyone back up withint 3 secs.

I am not a healer at all so nothing to compare but you keep swaying away from big points.

This is not about 'hardcore' 'casual' or whatever word you want to use. The amount of time you spend on the game has absolutely no bearing whatsoever and does not give you an excuse to stand in the wrong place, or to do the wrong thing. When people do the wrong thing, as everyone does, including so called 'hardcores' they need to learn from it and not do it again. Deaths happening over and over to stupid things like that is NOT a function of how 'casual' or 'hardcore' your guild is. It is a simple matter of people being temporarily stupid and not doing the right thing. Hence, they need to shape up and do the right thing regardless of how much time they were logged in that week.

Now, I would NEVER deny a disc priest a raid spot. Why would I? I think a disc priest is great, and I'm leveling one myself right now. I'm not saying anything bad about disc priests, or debating their usefulness. I'm simply making a point that spamming shield constantly and ignoring (for the most part) the amazing tank healing talents a disc priest has is just not a very good idea. That's all. I'm not even saying it can't be 'effective'. In fact, it's very effective at what it does: mitigating damage. However, my argument is that that mitigation is not needed and the other, overall more effective role of the disc priest is going to waste.
    well i think time spent in raiding does affect you coz after all you learn you practice and basicaly train... to notice things faster to react better etc... dint say ure wow holic 24/7 or somthing by hardcore i meant a grp of highly lets say skilled players that allrdy past the normal boot camp...

as for the amazing disc tank healing if you ask me disc is amazing in any thing
    you might say that as tank healer ill do better job than others and for most of times i will probably will, yet i was trying to show that we can do the raid roll as good as we do the tank roll.
    After all its about keeping the raid alive.

and tbh does it realy matter if u have disc who prevented 40k raid wide dmg? or a druid who picked it up with his hots?

You brought up the kolo fight and said yourself still have deaths, I'm very curious how on such an easy fight or are you going to argue against the world saying its difficult? Do you not have vent/dbm for the ignis fight to call out the pot? Ignis healing is a joke druids/priest will bring everyone back up withint 3 secs.

I am not a healer at all so nothing to compare but you keep swaying away from big points.
    lets see, les geared ppl, take more dmg, do less damge, every boss fight significaly longer, and we do not have robot like relfexes hmmm... sounds abit harder to mee dunno.

but as u said i will argue against the world, coz im not living in "world" of warcraft and those fights are still hard period... or u cleared all uld untill hard modes in a walk in a park with your t7.5? prolly forgot how it was a progression for you.

oh and u again say that other healers can pick up the raid dmg? omg other healers can actualy heal? i dont believe you :P
    i was trying in 50 posts say that you cant do anything without disc priests... and now you ruin it saying that other healers can heal... uh im in bad shape.
    hope u got the irony here as im showing the benefits of raid wide dmg mitigation that doesnt needs to be picked up, and you saying that other ppl can pick it up nice argument.

I wasn't really trying to say that time spent didn't affect skill or whatever, I guess I'm just pointing out that time spent doesn't give you an excuse to do something stupid, because wow is really really easy and everyone SHOULD know their class inside and out even by the time they hit 80 cause afterall, they've played that character for weeks just to get to that point, they oughta know how it works by then. then you just have to learn the boss fights, which should take like 2 to 3 attempts at most unless it's a hard mode, and even then, it's just the little details that need to be worked out that take awhile.

And I'll agree that disc can be very effective at 'healing' the raid. I'd be retarded myself to not agree with that. My argument is that: in the same way a resto druid doesn't tank heal even tho we can put a huge amount of hps on a tank by keeping up hots and spamming nourish + swiftmend + ns if needed, a disc priest shouldn't raid heal. You CAN do it, and you can be pretty good at it, but given the pros and cons of the other classes I would simply argue you'd be much better off staying in more of a tank healing position with bubbles cast on the raid when needed rather than sort of stepping on the raid healers' shoes in a sense. BUT, you're right: as long as the big mean internet dragons die, then whatever you did worked and if you're fine with that, go with it.

First thing is your a bad priest for stacking that much int, i do the same thing with 27.3 k mana raid buffed and they absorb more cuz i stack more spell power and never run oom. and your numbers would be lower if you didnt run with 8 healers in uld.... are you serious 5 or 6 is plenty. anyways as disc i prioritize keeping shields on all tanks and pom on one. if that is done then look at tanks health is one then pennance that tank. if tanks are good then spam shield on raid. pretty easy you should learn the role of disc with having the most reactive heal in the game(pennance) to help save tanks or spike raid dmg.

Well yeah, in a perfect situation your points are somewhat valid, not totally valid because it would require quite the calculation to rule out the effectiveness of shield spamming versus other classes picking up the extra damage.

In a not so perfect guild not doing hard modes, you don't always have the skilled players using the class/spec combinations that are desired. A disc priest as raid healing does a pretty good job in such a/this situation.

I'm still under the impression that this topic simply states the play style of one individual?
    why are they getting shitted on?

Christ its like talking to a child that all he wants to do his smash his shield all day, go ahead do that makes you a great healer depending on other healers while you just shield raid and maybe if theirs an aoe absorb 5k dmg. Do what you want but as I said I gurantee you will change your strategy. By the look of your logs youy might as well be trying to top the over healing charts. Apparantly geared dps take alot less dmg...

Quote Originally Posted by Shibba
    if other healers cant keep up after i mitigated whole raid, aint my fault. i did my part in absorbing, its theyr turn to heal the rest.
    as i said if ure not MT healer u mitigate dmg not retro active heal it , u want to heal go holy.
    Such a good team player

Goodnight and goodluck.

I wasn't really trying to say that time spent didn't affect skill or whatever, I guess I'm just pointing out that time spent doesn't give you an excuse to do something stupid, because wow is really really easy and everyone SHOULD know their class inside and out even by the time they hit 80 cause afterall, they've played that character for weeks just to get to that point, they oughta know how it works by then. then you just have to learn the boss fights, which should take like 2 to 3 attempts at most unless it's a hard mode, and even then, it's just the little details that need to be worked out that take awhile.

And I'll agree that disc can be very effective at 'healing' the raid. I'd be retarded myself to not agree with that. My argument is that: in the same way a resto druid doesn't tank heal even tho we can put a huge amount of hps on a tank by keeping up hots and spamming nourish + swiftmend + ns if needed, a disc priest shouldn't raid heal. You CAN do it, and you can be pretty good at it, but given the pros and cons of the other classes I would simply argue you'd be much better off staying in more of a tank healing position with bubbles cast on the raid when needed rather than sort of stepping on the raid healers' shoes in a sense. BUT, you're right: as long as the big mean internet dragons die, then whatever you did worked and if you're fine with that, go with it.

well thanks for the non flamable reply, and back to topic i would realy like to see some end game hard modes logs if you could provide some, as you know healing is not only healing done its also burst healing and hps over time and ofc verstility and ofc the overhealing and mana losses etc... disc might not be great or easy to use for raid, yet i find 666 mana bubble that insta give 6k and heals target for like 1200 is very nice.

Here is my opinion on disc raid healing.

Firstly I agree that spamming shields to mitigate incoming damage is quite effective and relieves the stress of other healers.

However, I think this is all quite situational. After all shielding the targets is still considered as single target healing. As a raid healer you are still healing (or shielding) the targets 1 at a time. Surely you can counter this by saying that by the time raid damage hits, 5 or 10 people, (or even 20 people if you have fast fingers) might have that damage prevented, but in the end it has still taken you at least 5 or 10 or even 20 GCDs to build all that up. For a raid healer, all he needs is 3 seconds of casting time or even an instant cast CoH and he could do the same as what you just did. In other words, there are times where healing 5 targets at a time is required in under 5 GCDs. Say for example during Hodir Frozen Blows, shielding is definitely not the way to go during that encounter. It deals roughly 2.5k every 2 seconds to the raid, assuming you are spamming those shields you can only prevent at max around 6k per second from shields. This is clearly not enough even if you use other spells like PoM. Even if you have the whole raid shielded up during the Frozen Blows CD, I'd think its better off for you doing something else like Mass Dispels during that time.

However I did say it is situational because there are encounters where shielding is really effective. Kologarn Left Arm Shockwave is a good example. It is a one-off damage with maybe a 20 sec cooldown, giving you the chance to absorb 70% of the damage taken for about 70% of the raid. That is assuming you spent the entire 20 second CD duration purely building all those shields up. If that is the case then on Kologarn you'd be an excellent raid healer. Also shielding the gripped guy on the right arm is effective as well.

Also I forgot to mention that shielding targets is really effective on trash. No sarcasm intended there.

Goodnight and goodluck.
    Finally, thanks for your wonderful constructive posts. Good luck to you as well, I doubt you'll need it though.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjenk
    First thing is your a bad priest for stacking that much int, i do the same thing with 27.3 k mana raid buffed and they absorb more cuz i stack more spell power and never run oom. and your numbers would be lower if you didnt run with 8 healers in uld.... are you serious 5 or 6 is plenty. anyways as disc i prioritize keeping shields on all tanks and pom on one. if that is done then look at tanks health is one then pennance that tank. if tanks are good then spam shield on raid. pretty easy you should learn the role of disc with having the most reactive heal in the game(pennance) to help save tanks or spike raid dmg.
    Got any calculations to back that up maybe? And did you check the same log as I did, because there's 6 healers.

I'm still kinda lost on this topic and what the OP's intent really is. If we go by the title, sure, in pugs I can usually top the meters as disc from pure healing alone (no shield absorb estimates counting towards my total heals). Not exactly what I'd consider an amazing feat, just tells you the quality of the other healers.

If we're talking about disc being a viable raid healer over MT healer.... sure, you can do it, it's just a bit harder and only performs really well when you know the amount of damage the raid will take and on what targets. The spamming PW:Shield on the raid does have its place, when you know everyone shielded will take enough damage to simultaneously pop all those bubbles at once so you get mana back. Beyond that, it starts to get hairy if you have 2-3 bubbles out of 20 actually pop burst.

Here's my playstyle: I'm usually doing both MT healing and healing the raid if possible. I'm a haste junky, and if I can get away with it, I will bubble someone in raid that is not the MT (if the MT cannot be shielded still, so perhaps an OT is shieldless) just so I can pump out a faster cast on a heal while preventing damage on a target. Great for when you need to use those long casts for big incoming spikes you know are coming. I'll bubble-haste purposefully almost any spell that has longer than a 1.5 second base cast time or channel length, so long as I have the mana to spare or I'm sure the target will have the shield broken. I'll throw out PW:shields to knock off time on my rez cast time. The point is that you may be assigned to MT healer or heal the raid, but a good disc priest knows how to multitask to help others while boosting your own performance at the same time. Never known another healer in raid complaining that, God forbid, I threw a shield on their target to help them out in healing.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville