Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Shadow: Tier 9 2PC

How important is getting an extra 6 seconds on Devouring Plague so you can save mana on casting it less and use less GCD's over the fact that you will be getting less Improved Devouring Plague hits?

Anyone have the math on if it would be better to land 5 more IMP DP over casting 5 less?

I think I would rather have Vampiric Touch last 6 seconds longer. We will still end up saving mana and global cooldowns but won't have to waste the change of getting extra damage from imp. DP hits.

Re: Shadow: Tier 9 2PC

Quote Originally Posted by Tablemaker
    How important is getting an extra 6 seconds on Devouring Plague so you can save mana on casting it less and use less GCD's over the fact that you will be getting less Improved Devouring Plague hits?
    I think I would rather have Vampiric Touch last 6 seconds longer. We will still end up saving mana and global cooldowns but won't have to waste the change of getting extra damage from imp. DP hits.
    Wow. I didn't even think about Improved Devouring Plague. Thats really ............
    So we save ~2k Mana and 2 gcds and loose 2 improved DP procs on a 5 minute fight, assuming it's 6 sec duration added.

VT would've been the better choice.

Yeah, it's not making much sense to increase the duration on it. I think it'll be changed before PTR is over.

The US priests here should put some effort into making it visible in the PTR forums, as EU gets zero attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Yeah, it's not making much sense to increase the duration on it. I think it'll be changed before PTR is over.
    It makes as much sense as increasing the critical strike chance of Shadow Word: Death. And that never got changed.
    But i hope that this one will be replaced at least.
    The US priests here should put some effort into making it visible in the PTR forums, as EU gets zero attention.
    I hope they do. Since EU really gets zero attention on their boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen
    It makes as much sense as increasing the critical strike chance of Shadow Word: Death. And that never got changed.
    But i hope that this one will be replaced at least.I hope they do. Since EU really gets zero attention on their boards.

True, the American Shadowpriests got a response from Ghostcrawler, they are much more likely to have someone actually see this than we are.

Ok, so the response was "Stop making posts asking for blues." but still, it is the most activity that Shadowpriests have seen from a blue post in ages.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

With the 6 extra seconds, IDP hits for harder, so how much will the 2pc set increase IDP? Will it be enough in the long run that the damage will cancel out or even be higher with it?

For simplicity we will assume that Devouring Plague direct damage does not crit.
    If the direct damage from Devouring Plague hits for an average of 1000 damage non-crit, then refreshing it at the end of the 36 second duration instead of immediately means that you will go from an average of 2000 damage per minute (non-crit) to 1666 damage per minute.

Of course, this is only if you cancel your cast and instantly reapply Devouring Plague the second it is off cooldown. Usually, if you finish your cast or Mind Flay, then you would be gaining an extra tick or two (unlikely, since this would mean 6 seconds without reapplying it) of DP instead of having a gap in your DoT uptime.

I guess this change is to give us some flexibility in reapplying other DoTs or using Mind Blast before having to reapply DP, without losing the damage from the DoT ticks of it. We will have to see if the damage gained from this makes much of a difference, though.

Fabian is right as well, the extra 2 ticks of Devouring Plague will mean the direct damage will be higher, because it is 15% of the total damage if the DoT runs its entire duration.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen
    No, that was a logical thing to do.

In case of this one, I think they forgot the Imp. DP talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon
    the extra 2 ticks of Devouring Plague will mean the direct damage will be higher, because it is 15% of the total damage if the DoT runs its entire duration.
    this
    *French guy inside*
    *please forgive my poor english*

even with higher initial damage (which btw equals out casting it less times) we lose 15% spellpower when giving up the t8 2pc (which also increases the initial damage btw...)

Definately needs PTR testing but hear me out.
    Increases the duration of your Devouring Plague spell by 6 sec.
    There's nothing here about the cooldown being increased - so if you want the damage procs sounds like we can cut the last 6 seconds anyway.

P.S. If it were to increase the cooldown i would expect it to read:
    Increases the duration and cooldown of your Devouring Plague spell by 6 sec.

Quote Originally Posted by qae
    this
    Then they could just have made the bonus like:
    "Increases the damage of your Improved Devouring Plague ability by 25%".
    Would have been more understandable, no changes from current mechanic.
    With 6 extra seconds we still would want to cast plague every CD to get the full damage of improved plague. (And then we don't even know if the 6 seconds affect improved plague at all.)

It could help quite a bit if we have any multi-target boss encounters as the duration would be increased but not the cooldown. As such DP could be overlapped on two targets. Granted this is quite situational, and it's still not a very good set bonus overall. At least not worth losing 4piece T8 for. I'd probably go straight from 4Piece T8 to 4piece T9

4pc t8 is quite crappy, if you look at shadowpriest.com, the 4pc bonus itself is only about 2.2 pp per setpiece

2 pc ~ 70 pp
    2pc + 4pc = ~80 pp

Quote Originally Posted by plspirit
    Insert Quote
    4pc t8 is quite crappy, if you look at shadowpriest.com, the 4pc bonus itself is only about 2.2 pp per setpiece

2 pc ~ 70 pp
    2pc + 4pc = ~80 pp
    Nope. The 4pc itself is ~80 pp (~120 dps), that isn't included 2 pc bonus yet. So it's actually ((80 + 70) / 4) pp per set piece =)
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

well, considering the tooltip of imp dp

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=63627

that 6 sec ( mean 2x tick ) will indeed apply on imp dp ( cause it talk about the total periodic effect damage....and this 2 additional tick are ofc part of the "periodic damage" of the spell )...at least, this reading without testing...

casting it before it finish?
    you can end up "eating" one tick, or better, delaying a tick cause you casted it too late.....i don't see this "strat" alot different that casting a VT before it's finished..or refreshing a swp ( and normaly this end with dps lost....ofc no imp dp dynamic are implemented with that dot...so need some math to figure out if i'm correct or not )

add also the gcd u are going to gain due to this delay on reapplying dot...gcd that can obviosuly be used to deal additional damage.

I think that this "bonus" will give us only major flexibility on our rotation, similar as the 4x bonus of actual T8...
    a quite nice bonus, but doubt it will be a must ( unlike the 2x t8 now in our case )

Also, nice the thing about the possibility to "overlap" dp on 2 target....

BTW, where is the post where they tell that 4x bonus ( t8 ) is crap on sp.com ?

Unless ImpP gets changed the T9 2p set bonus COULD still be a DPS increase as casting DP deals 15% of it's total periodic effect. It also gives us a little more flexibility in refreshing it as we won't need to cut other casts short or sometimes wait that 1/2 second until it's off CD.

"Increases the periodic damage done by your Devouring Plague by 15%, and when you cast Devouring Plague you instantly deal damage equal to 15% of its total periodic effect."
    Taps foot impatiently while waiting for PTR copy...

Did some math and it looks like to get the most out of DP and IDP, you recast it whenever it is off CD.

Assuming DP hits 8000 total before IDP(used 8000 because of the 8 normal ticks)

Total of DP+IDP w/o set
    8000 x 1.15 = 9200

Total of DP+IDP w/ set, w/o overwriting
    8000 x 1.25 = 10,000 x 1.15 = 11,500

Total of DP+IDP w/ set, w/ overwriting after 24 sec
    10,000 x 1.15 = 1500 + 8000 = 9500

Total of DP+IDP w/ set, w/ overwriting after 27 sec
    10,000 x 1.15 = 1500 + 9000 = 10,500

18 minute fight(Yea, I know unrealistic, but couldn't find a lower time that can easily fit all recasting, but did lower the final result to damage/minute)

Total of DP+IDP w/o set
    18 minutes x 60 seconds / 24 seconds = recast 45 times x 9200 = 414,000 / 18 minutes = 23,000 damage/minute

Total of DP+IDP w/ set, w/o overwriting
    18 minutes x 60 seconds / 30 seconds = recast 36 times x 11,500 = 414,000 / 18 minutes = 23,000 damage/minute

Total of DP+IDP w/ set, w/ overwriting after 24 sec
    18 minutes x 60 seconds / 24 seconds = recast 45 times x 9500 = 427,500 / 18 minutes = 23,750 damage/minute

Total of DP+IDP w/ set, w/ overwriting after 27 sec

If anyone wants to confirm or add to this, go ahead
    18 minutes x 60 seconds / 27 seconds = recast 40 times x 10,500 = 420,00 / 18 minutes = 23,333 and 1/3 damage/minute

I think you are missing the point of the set bonus.

With the duration now 6 seconds longer than the cooldown, that means we have 6 extra seconds of regular DPS rotation before we have to reapply it. Enough time for two Mind Flays at the very least. The damage you gain from keeping up your regular rotation and not interrupting it to recase Devouring Plague as soon as the cooldown is finished may result in a much bigger DPS increase than the extra direct damage on Improved Devouring Plague alone.

We should aim for get this set bonus changed entirely. It's not okay.