Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Miss when hit capped

Most likely resisted and not missed.

Base resist is unaffected by the hit table. It's a completely different rolls than can lead to the full damage, a partial hit or a completely negated attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Deleted

I think It's funny how people come and say "probably not hit capped" or "probably a resist" you know you're not the only ones in the world with eyes but I guess you're the only ones without a brain

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by stubot
    I am very sure that unless changed in 3.1 judgements are spells. and as such are subject to eh 17% hit rating cap.

check elitist jerks. I'm pretty sure they'll confirm that.
    quoting from the MMO champ STICKIED page about expertise and hit for paladins:

Quote Originally Posted by tlitd
    physical hit cap affects :
    • autoattacks
    • seals*
    • judgements
    • strikes (CS/DS)
    • prot-specific abilities (AS, ShoR, HotR)
    • hammer of wrath
    a quote from a bit further in the same post:

Quote Originally Posted by tlitd
    note on judgements (for the giggles) : they are heavily modded melee abilities that...
    A. have non-physical damage components
    B. work as ranged physical abilities (they have an effective range greater than 5 yds, they cannot be parried or dodged)
    C. work as spell abilities (they cannot be cast while being silenced)
    ]http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=58805.0[/url]

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by arel00
    Most likely resisted and not missed.

Base resist is unaffected by the hit table. It's a completely different rolls than can lead to the full damage, a partial hit or a completely negated attack.
    it could have been that, but i remember reading a patch note somewhere in 3.0.2 about resists and misses now showing up as different things on the combat log/on screen damage text. so if the guy saw a miss, it will probably not have been a resist.

Resists show as misses now, not 'resist'.

15+ Year Old Account

Isn't there always a base 1% miss?

No, there isn't always a base 1% miss. No there isn't a base 0.0001% miss. People just forget buffs or swap gear or have broken gear and end up under hit cap. The dead draenei in your party will no longer provide you with +1% hit.

It's funny that these sort fo threads never include a screenshot.

If you're so damn eager to go to MMO and make posts about it I'd say it would have been worth it to take the screenshot. Because now people are just pulling data from their asses and the flame wars begin.

From what I know there isn't a 0.0000xx% chance to miss, hitcaps can be reached and you shouldn't miss when capped. The truth would prolly say something like it resisted, the hitcap wasn't reached, pushed the wrong spell etc, but we'll never know, the truth is out there.

i haven't seen so many people spreading so much missinformation in one thread

there is no chance to miss if you are hitcapped. judgement is a melee ability and never had that hidden 1% misschance like spells had before 3.0.

and since when could a melee ability ever been resisted? never. and even if the judgement would be considered holy dmg, there is no holy resistance ...

sorry op that i can't help you, because if you say you are hitcaped and had no debuf on you then there is no way your judgment could have missed other then some already mentioned reasons like equip that turned red without you noticing it.

My guess is that you saw a SCT error.

I've seen SCT incorrectly report miss or dodge on abilities, but reviewing the combat log or recount will show that it was only a mistake.

So far from updating to MSBT I have yet to notice one of these. (SCT was abandoned by it's author months ago, it really is very out of date)

Hit cap is hit cap, there is no 1 in a million chances to miss. There are 9 million+ people playing this game and never a proven case of it. These made up small numbers would show up in masses from the insane amount of attacks that happen in the game.

ZOMG NO I MISSED ONE ATTACK OH THE DRAMA
    ^makes sigz k?

Quote Originally Posted by Astorth
    judgement uses the ranged hit table?
    correct

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos
    Its a spell, no?
    no

Quote Originally Posted by airmikee
    Spell hit cap is 17%.
    correct

Quote Originally Posted by Handsylton
    As with any attack, there is ALWAYS a chance to miss, even if you're hitcapped.
    this very statement has a notable potential of inducing smiles

Quote Originally Posted by Astorth
    there was that thing in tbc for spells, never melee or ranged. but I think they removed it for spells in wrath
    correct x2; simply put, spells used to have a hit hardcap at 99%

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftz
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystus
    Was your space squid melee? If not, you aren't in range of him if he's at max range and thus not hit capped.
    ...red gear?
    both observations are very solid; especially the first one, with Hodir encounter being non-static

Quote Originally Posted by Caelic
    The Draenei's Heroic Presence only affects party members, not the whole raid.
    not true

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamless
    Quote Originally Posted by Mraksup
    i got 269 hit in pvp and about 350 hit rating in pve gear and i am 100% sure that it is not possible to reach 100,00% chance to hit, in 1000 hits with abilities at least 1 or 2 miss, in pvp AND in pve on dummy or somewhat
    The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'...
    as Dreamless has pointed out, the difference between an unsubstantiated claim/hypothesis and an irrefutable one lies in... exactly, relevant data sets

Quote Originally Posted by Blasfomy
    You can remove misses, but you cannot remove the 1% resist.
    the existence of the so-called "1% resist" is yet to be proven

correct, all along; however, as far as i'm aware, it still isn't known/proven the effect of excessive hit rating/chance (i.e. post-hitcap) on strictly binary spells cast at targets that do have a 'base resistance' (via level difference, innate resistances a.s.o.)

Quote Originally Posted by Anobix
    Resists show as misses now, not 'resist'.
    they shouldn't, as per 3.0.2 PN

Quote Originally Posted by path411
    My guess is that you saw a SCT error.
    another very good observation; SCT-like addons (CL parsers also) are not fail-proof

Quote Originally Posted by Nighty
    i haven't seen so many people spreading so much missinformation in one thread
    it's all for the greater good :]
    this thread was quite funny, seen through the eyes of a rogue

15+ Year Old Account

and since when could a melee ability ever been resisted? never. and even if the judgement would be considered holy dmg, there is no holy resistance ...
    Just pointing one thing out. The resist check is based upon the damage type, not the attack table. Frost Strike and Scourge Strike as well can lead to partial damage due to the mob's base resistance. Seal damage can be partially resisted too. They are all melee attacks.
    No, they don't show up as misses. They'll show in the combat log as a partial resist though.
    Yes, there is a holy resistance. The fact that is cannot be improved for players by regular means, doesn't mean that the mob aren't subjected to this kind of mechanic. Truth is, there is a level-based and mob-type-based resist chance for all kind of damage. Such resistance are usually equal, in some cases, even common ones (demons and shadow spells, e.g.) one resistance tends to be incredibly higher (I'm not talking about immunity).
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

OMG, there is ALWAYS chance to miss EVEN if you are hit capped.

since when could a melee ability ever been resisted?
    The resist check is based upon the damage type, not the attack table. Frost Strike and Scourge Strike as well can lead to partial damage due to the mob's base resistance. Seal damage can be partially resisted too. They are all melee attacks.
    physical abilities with non-physical damage components (like the ones already mentioned, like many paladin abilities) are indeed subject to resists, as arel00 pointed out

however, many people refer to the said abilities as being resistible themselves - which is strictly an overstatement

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut
    OMG, there is ALWAYS chance to miss EVEN if you are hit capped.

That was true for spells only before WotLK... It is no longer true at all.

Get WWS or recount or some other addon that actually tracks damage sources, hits, misses, reflects, resists and everything else at once. If your detailed info shows an honest to goodness MISS on a judgement and you're over 8% hit rating, post a screenshot of the detailed report, your buffs and gear at the time (broken gear does funny things) and we'll probably be able to find out why. Until then, it didn't happen.

4 pages over 1 miss with no actual proof?

I Surf on Exodus Tears

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut
    OMG, there is ALWAYS chance for me to be completely stupid if you are hit capped.

FIFY

just becuz you get hit crapped dosen't mean you will hit every hit. since when a game program like this is work on live server, and you the player can have changed stats in a game like this. the server can sometime have a wrong feedback. time to time, but you will just have to live with this. its probley hard to understand but if you make programs and understand that sometimes your program does other stuff that you designed it too, or if 2 ip's feedback to the server get mixed up by a number or two(programs is build in numbers) its very likely that something not normal gonna happen.
    tbh you shouldn't make a thread just becuz you missed 1 single spell, its not a bug then, its just a normal unreaded program feedback. its a bug if it keeps doning under a small amount of time.