Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Rolling a Spriest: Am I Making a Mistake?

My main has always been casters and I have a 70 mage, an 80 mage and an 80 Warlock and recently i decided to start an Spriest myself and he is level 73 at the moment. I have no concern about PvP and i dont really like it very much and am going to PvE with my priest. So far Spriests have been a lot of fun, and i cant wait till i get mind sear XD! In my opinion play one, but if its for PvP even i wouldn't recommend one. But for PvE, they are pretty fun, and its always fun seeing all the green, blue and yellow numbers on your screen XD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeningsky
    i personally would respec the paladin to dps and use the priest to heal. priests from what i noticed are way better healers then paladins, as when i am in a group with one of them i know at minimum 2 wipes are on the way, where as a priest i know i'm gonna stay alive. but if you need a little incentive then here:
    you must be rolling with some pretty bad paladins then...

to the OP if it's for pvp only, I'd go mage, or maybe warlock. Locks always seem to end up back on or near the top, but mage playstyle seems more fun to me tbh.

As someone else said before, you're not rolling a SP, you're rolling a priest. If you think that as a shadow priest you won't have to heal then you need to reconsider your choice. Go for some pure dps class. As a class with healing abilities I say it's dumb to not give a heal if needed just because you're dps specced. Sadly very little of hybrid heal/dps think this way.

Quote Originally Posted by v-ice
    As someone else said before, you're not rolling a SP, you're rolling a priest. If you think that as a shadow priest you won't have to heal then you need to reconsider your choice. Go for some pure dps class. As a class with healing abilities I say it's dumb to not give a heal if needed just because you're dps specced. Sadly very little of hybrid heal/dps think this way.
    While I agree with your sentiments, keep in mind that in the PvP setting you are lucky to have 15K mana and dropping shadowform is a massive cost. Firstly you drop your 15% damage reduction defense and secondly it costs you a GCD + 1100 mana to get back into shadowform. You have to be careful when deciding to heal, it's not something you can choose to do 4 or 5 times per arena match, you'll simply go oom.

I also refer to the OP's comment that he planned to play his priest as shadow for PvP and PvE... and again while I agree you are rolling the priest class the OP specifically mentioned he didn't want to heal because he could do that on his Paladin.

From an Arena POV, spriests are under powered, they are one of the most under-represented classes and when you look at the spec's of priests in arena they are overwhelmingly Disc.

My arena partner in 2 vs 2 is an affliction lock. All of the weaknesses that Spriests have Affliction Locks have as well. They both get owned by rogues and their stuns, neither have the ability to escape stuns or snares. If anything the Spriest is better off in this respect since they have Dispersion, AOE fear on lower cooldown and more damage mitigation with power word shield and inner fire and can sometimes escape a snare with fade, affliction locks have nothing. The only advantage that affliction locks have is they have spammable fear, but that has a casting time and isn't of much use when a rogue is on you. Everything is dependent on me, as a pally, to keep the warlock of alive, hand of protection, hand of freedom, hand of sacrifice, divine guadian, heals, cleanse, etc. If he stays alive he is able to do some good damage.

It seems like Spriests are nearly their, they are just hampered by a few weaknesses, like no dot protection and the overpoweredness or rogues.

By the time you reach 80, the whole OP/UP thing may have changed. There's no real predicting what will be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    By the time you reach 80, the whole OP/UP thing may have changed. There's no real predicting what will be the case.
    I admit that is possible but considering the drivel GC went on about with the informal spriest Q&A I wouldn't be betting any money on that actually happening.

A lot of Spriest criticisms seem to be one on one directed, but pvp is rarely one on one. Like I said in arena I do so many things to keep my affliction lock up and give him a chance to dps as a prot/holy paladin. If spriets play with a DK that can death grip rogues off of you while snaring them, plus boosting your spell damage, or a paladin that can give you 30 seconds of semi-immunity and stuns, or a rogue that can stunlock melees, etc., the class becomes much more viable.

The fact that few people are playing spriests in arena speaks more to the incredible strength of Disc right now, rather than to the weakness of Spriest. Spriest is a mediocre spec, not some horribly flawed one. A couple of buffs in the right direction and along with the resilience buff will make spriests decent.

So Shadowpriests are balanced around 2v1 PVP? Good to know. All of the examples you gave had us being saved by another player, while apparently the person we are fighting has no arena partner.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

I would roll a frost mage if I were you. It's pretty strong in bg/arena but still requires a fair amount of skill to play right. The sames goes with warlocks but that's just a personal preference.

Pve wise shadow priests are pretty solid at the moment. Pvp wise they are rather frustrating to play. But then again that can change in any patch but our hope in that is rather low because of how blizzard had treated us so far.

GM/Raid Leader of <Air>, Sargeras-US, Alliance
    13/13M Mythic Morning/Day-Time Raiding Guild

Now recruiting for Legion! Apply at air-guild.com

If there is nothing wrong with spriests in Arena (which seems to be the point some people are making) then why is it that only 9% of priests in the 2K+ bracket are shadow? Take a guess what the other 91% are.

THIS topic is MISTAKE
    Last edited by Endus; Today at 10:40 PM. Reason: Editing to change questionable phrasing to adorable puppies

Quote Originally Posted by xBreak View Post
    This post was almost as bad as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    The clueless commentary from the shortsighted peanut gallery is getting to me.
    My youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/Krystafal

i lol at the people that thinks sp's ain't top the charts,, i am ALWAYS in the top 3 or 4 on boss fights in my guild, either shadow is fine as it is or my whole guild fails
    when it comes to pvp i can't say shadow have been any good at that point since i was lvl 60 xD not that i have tried after WLK, but from what i hear we are still shit still disc is supposed to be played offensive, so you won't miss the dmg part anyways

Well my Shadow Priest, a male Draenei named Eclypze, is approaching level 20 and he has a heirloom staff enchanted with 29 spellpower. I'm learning the keybindings and practising kiting, fearing things and dotting things really fast. If you keep the same keybindings throughout leveling it will make casting spells very fast, like second nature. For example Shadow Word: Pain is Q, Psychic Scream is R, Power Word Shield is F etc. This is something I didn't do with my Paladin since I was always changing specs and trying different things with him and consequently always relied on clicking abilties.. With my Priest I'm staying Shadow all the way so I'll be most skilled at that one spec rather than mediocre at several specs.

Congrats on Shadow Priests getting a lot of buffs next patch, hopefully they will be a strong pvp class in the future.

To determine whether you're making a mistake you need to ask yourself a few questions.

Do you want to be able to take somebody from 100 to 0 in a few seconds?

Do you want to go 5vs1 in BGs?

Do you want to faceroll to Glad?

And most importantly, do you want to have an easy time playing the class?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then you're making a huge mistake.

However if you're interested because the playstyle attracts you (like it did with me) regardless of how strong the spec is. Then by all means go for it, be warned though it can be incredibly frustrating to play and you'll die very quickly up until you get nearer 1K resil. Even then you still drop pretty fast.

I've done all of that with my Paladin before. I had my Paladin twinked at levels 49, 59 and 69 when WOTLK was just being released and ret paladins were gods. I didn't have much skill or even the best twinking gear yet I steamrolled the bgs, often leading in head kills, and damage with only one or two deaths. I had Lightning Generating Capacitor when it did 5k damage, enough to one shot people at lower levels, and I would bubble and proceed to kill 3 people at once doing full damage while I was untouchable. Sometimes I would respec to protection for fun and be an invincible flag carrier.

Now all my Paladin does is heal in both pve and pvp. I don't really like retribution nor do I have the gear for it. I want to do ranged dps, a fun class that is challenging and I think Spriest is a good pick. I don't know why people have to pigeonhole priests into healing if all they want to be is a Spriest. A lot of Paladins don't like being pigeon holed into tanking or healing when they only want to play ret. Its better to be the master at one spec rather than a jack of all trades. I'm leveling up this Priest to be the best Shadow Priest I can make him.

PS: The one class that really owned me when I was a godlike Ret Pally in those lvl 50 and 60 BGs were Spriests.

Quote Originally Posted by baele
    My main is a holy pally and I've grown bored of healing all the time. I want to roll a ranged dps class for a change of pace from my pally, a class that is enjoyable and decent in pvp, both arena and bgs. I decided to start a Spriest, and I have no intention to heal with this character since that is what my holy pally does. I realize Spriests are fairly weak in arena right now but as long as they aren't massively underpowered (a la fire mages or enhancement shamans) I don't mind. My main concern is that the class is fun to play and requires a certain skill level to master (one of the reasons I don't like playing ret pally).

Yes.

Deleted

i personally would respec the paladin to dps and use the priest to heal. priests from what i noticed are way better healers then paladins, as when i am in a group with one of them i know at minimum 2 wipes are on the way, where as a priest i know i'm gonna stay alive. but if you need a little incentive then here:

shadowpriest vs warrior= warrior wins
    shadowpriest vs paladin= paladin wins
    shadowpriest vs druid= druid wins
    shadowpriest vs mage= mage wins
    the list goes on, but out of curtesy, i'll stop with mage
    hope i helped
    all the best
    The most lol post of all.If u say it as an 1 v1...there's no way a warrior can beat a well played shadowpriest.
    Druid what spec?cat has burst but its 50-50 due to rng.Moonkins dies in silence-horror...lol.Resto can be beated but needs the right specing . Mage is the real deal.Any mistake counts for both.And about pala...okie bro...go get some resi and don t announce us all rng classes that make numbers on u.

About the post question now.
    Okie...do u really want to try hard to do things...but if u do them there are respectable?
    ARe u ready to think about ur own "home made" solution to deal with things ?
    Do u want something beyond hardmode class?....
    Okie nice pick about the Shadowpriest.Also as a hybrid u could have a healer spec with hell diffrent mechanics from ur pala 1key spammer :P.Also atm its very hard to play arena...but if u do try 3v3.At least u will avoid 2v2 FOTMers and u will see the good thing of being Sp.Also bgs with Sp are HELL GOOOOOOD at least if u can top charts in 2 battlegroups with it anytime u wanna bg (that's personal experiance,and if i can=u can ).

And about ppl QQing around go see some rated priests videos...they can do it meens u can.THe thing is is it so hard to admit some ppl play better than u?

shadowpriest vs warrior= warrior wins
    shadowpriest vs paladin= paladin wins
    shadowpriest vs druid= druid wins
    shadowpriest vs mage= mage wins
    the list goes on, but out of curtesy, i'll stop with mage
    hope i helped
    all the best
    ROFL ROFL ROFL YOU JUST FAILED so hard here!
    and you just showed you dont know anything about shadowpriest or pvp as shadowpriest!

I don't think you are making a mistake - your bigger concern is if you think that SPriests fits your playstyle. If you aren't addicted to big crits, and is comfortable with slowly killing your opponent, then a SPriests is your way to go. If you need to see big numbers, then head for destruction warlock or mage, 'cause you won't find much bigger crits than 7k, (give or take). In regards to pvp, right now SPriests are a bit underpowered, but it will change in 3.2 for numerous reasons.

1) since SPriest damage was largely dealt through DoTs, SPriests took a pretty hard hit when resilience would also decrease the damage done by Damage over Time attacks. However, in 3.2, resilience will now apply the same amount of decreasing damage to all types of attacks. While this is a small nerf, (a la Mind Blast and SW: D), it's an even bigger nerf to all the other classes.

2) SPriests are quite good at keeping their mana up - provided you are willing to use dispersion while not under attack. While this currently would be a stupid thing to do, as we need dispersion to lasts through bursts/stuns, coming patch, the cooldown is decreased to 2 minute, from 3, (which can be decreased further with the new dispersion glyph). This allows you to manage your mana better, while not fearing that you will be bursted down in seconds because Dispersion is off cooldown.

3) If we get our rotation started, it can be quite hard to kill us off. This is partly because of Shadowform, partly because the opponent is probably almost dead, but mostly because of vampiric embrace. If you invest in vampiric embrace, you gain 25% of all damage done as health, (no it doesn't reduce your damage by 25% though, [just that many people thinks that].

EDIT fixed some errors

-credit to Rayde