Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Defense capped throughout leveling?

in 3.2 it might be an option for tanks to use some pvp gear. since resilience will lower the amount of all dmg you take.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by iktankniet
    in 3.2 it might be an option for tanks to use some pvp gear. since resilience will lower the amount of all dmg you take.
    Nope, resilience will still be a lackluster stat since it's damage reduction only affects damage dealt by players, not mobs.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

just to add up, as Prot pala. u dont need Def cap even in naxx 25, but close to it.
    reason is Holyshield which is must active all the time, with this ability used always the crit will drop out of the combat roll and not crits will land ( wow combat/damage mechanic). basically when u add up dodge+parry+miss+block and u end up above 100% that means no crit will ever land ( watch that the char tab show the values regarding a similar lvl mob as your lvl) so against a boss (lvl + 3) you need a bit more to cover it.
    also def is important for other tank classes ( exclude druids) is rather secondary for lvling for Prot pala to get uncritable even at max lvl as i mentioned before.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac
    Nope, resilience will still be a lackluster stat since it's damage reduction only affects damage dealt by players, not mobs.
    kk, tnx for the info.

Get defense gear, but don't focus massively on it. While leveling (if you have at least a clue about tanking) a big health pool is usually more than enough, it gives plenty of time for your healer to heal you (expecially if he's learning how to heal, as you're learning how to tank).
    "Seeping crest of turbidity, arrogant vessel of lunacy.
    Boil forth and deny, grow numb and flicker, disrupting sleep.
    Crawling queen of iron, eternally self-destructing doll of mud.
    Unite, repulse. Fill with soil and know your own powerlessness."

Primera - Elemental Shaman - <Vedo La Gente Morta> - Pozzo dell'Eternità IT

In the time it takes to worry about gear you've pretty much out leveled it.

As others have stated its not really important to hit uncrittable, however its pretty easy to get crafted tank gear that is loaded with defense. For pallies and warriors especially defense is a really good stat for tanking while leveling, especially pre-cap but even after the cap. Don't worry about the numbers or stacking certain stats.

You don't really have a ton of different tank gear available while leveling or many choices to make. As long as you use gear with tanking stats that is relatively close to your level then you shouldn't have any problem tanking things less than 4 levels above you.

I had it throughout, but I was levelling in 4 days with 2 other peeps after release..

.. It just made more sense at the time, and there are plenty of items to maintain it without crafted gear.. loot at rep stuff and whatnot.

You actually dont need any Def untill you do the level 78+ instances, and at lvl 78 you can wear the main crafted Def gear.

You also dont need to be capped for the 78 instances only for the 80 and the heroic instances.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

15+ Year Old Account

No need to be def "capped" while leveling. I've tanked most starting LK instances in DPS gear (T4-T6 mix) + Illidan shield equipped, in prot spec. I've done obscene DPS and it was fast and fun Probably green geared players should not do this, but green _tanking_ gear without being uncrittable is pretty much acceptable in leveling dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedPower
    You actually dont need any Def untill you do the level 78+ instances, and at lvl 78 you can wear the main crafted Def gear.

You also dont need to be capped for the 78 instances only for the 80 and the heroic instances.
    While not needed, in a PuG i'd still wear some def.

Leveling healers are not that good usually. You might be lucky and find the fourth alt of a raiding lv80, with dual spec, dual set, some enchants and well put talents (as i'm doing now with my lv72 druid). But you might find a first character, with little exp on healing in an instance, with random talents, or a moonkin/shadowpriest pretending to heal... you got my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Shornaal
    While not needed, in a PuG i'd still wear some def.

Leveling healers are not that good usually. You might be lucky and find the fourth alt of a raiding lv80, with dual spec, dual set, some enchants and well put talents (as i'm doing now with my lv72 druid). But you might find a first character, with little exp on healing in an instance, with random talents, or a moonkin/shadowpriest pretending to heal... you got my point.
    I'm not saying not to wear it if you have it, I'm just saying dont go out of your way to get it.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

You probably could tank with a 2H and without any pants, that doesn't make it a good thing.

The entire tanking set is really cheap to make, it's quite good too, and it will be a lot easier than it already is.

Crit is RNG, and when you see what range is in wow, a chain crit is always a possibility.

Instances at your level = get the crafted def gear, push stamina with kits/gems/enchants, thats it
    MassPulls or Instance above your level = get some ZA/SSC/TK/BT/MH/SW FunRunEpics at T5-T6 level

Cleared CoT4 with a complete lvl 75 guildgroup as tank. Its like walking through tons of bubblegum but we where proud of clearing it :].
    CritImmun is 5%+(MobLvl-YourLvl)*0,2, Means face Malganis at 6,4% critreduce in your charpanel if you are 75, but also Hit/Expertise would be needed, because you miss alot then...

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac
    Incorrect information is incorrect.

It gets you crit immune against mobs / bosses the same way as defense does.

However it does not add dodge/parry/block.

Quote Originally Posted by iglocska
    Incorrect information is incorrect.

It gets you crit immune against mobs / bosses the same way as defense does.

However it does not add dodge/parry/block.
    He's talking about the damage reduction that resilience will give in 3.2 in PvP. Resilience won't change PvE-wise with 3.2, it will continue to reduce crit % and no more. What Thallidomaniac said is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Shornaal
    He's talking about the damage reduction that resilience will give in 3.2 in PvP. Resilience won't change PvE-wise with 3.2, it will continue to reduce crit % and no more. What Thallidomaniac said is right.
    Oh right, missed that part, thought it was only about getting crit immune through resilience. My bad.

While leveling its not needed, but that does not mean theres no difference between tanking in dps-equip and tanking in def-equip.
    Being defcapped also raises the chance to block, parry, be missed and dodge by 5%.

Tanks should do the dungeon-quests for every dungeon, since most times some nice blue def item is available as a reward. Combine it with drops form dungeons and one or two crafted items and while not uncrittable, you have a much better survivability.

Raiding and Heroics below defcap is stupid and it doesnt get better just because some deathknights did it.
    Remember: You can cross the streets with your eyes closed and bananas in your ears and survive, but that doesnt mean we go and tell every kid "hey short one, you can may as well run over every street without watching for cars"

Be a good tank, be defcapped. Theres already enough dps-fail in the world, we dont need a generation of shit eqipped tanks, just because the cousin of a friends mother said ulduar is too easy.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

15+ Year Old Account

Get the Cobalt tank set at 70, which is piss cheap. Grab every tank quest reward you can get (and there are LOADS), then slowly switch to the Tempered Saronite tank set (piss cheap too) while you grow to meet the level requirements, granted it is an upgrade (some quest items are simply amazing).

Stack stamina in every possible way while you're levelling. Your job as a tank is to soak up more damage as possible, and I assure you that stacking health works like a charm *in leveling 5mens*. I used all the LW stam,ina kits I could get, and so on.

At 80 you'll worry about 540 defense and then to balance stamina, threat and avoidance cap. But while you level, get the tank crafted items/rewards to ease up your starting point, and stack stamina on top of them.
    I did 70-80 as prot and I had lots of fun (and now I MT Ulduar)
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.