Profession Help.

Hello,

Currently I've been playing a DK but am getting fairly bored of the class and don't have any friends IRL to arena with, So i have decided to roll a priest, mainly for arena but also for raiding.

I'm not too fussed about min/max'ing so i was just hoping some people could put some insight about what professions i should pick up.
    I was thinking Engi / Enchanting but not too sure.

Thanks!

Re: Profession Help.

Tailoring is always nice.

You can craft some gear/bags/cheaper enchants / unique cloak enchants that are pretty good.

Enchanting is a pretty good combination with tailoring as you can disenchant alot of the items you craft to skill tailoring, enchanting has ring enchants that are being buffed in the next patch.

I can also recommend JC.

But for a clothie I would go tail/ench.

I'd say that if you want to pvp, then go for engineering, and if you wanna go raiding, then tailoring. Engineering has some very nice enchants/items for pvp, like the nitro rockets boots, (or something like that), for quick escapes, etc. Tailoring is nice for raiding since a) you get a '3rd trinket proc' from your cloak enchant, which can either give you +mana or +Spell power for x seconds, (can't remember the numbers for patch 3.2). Also, you can craft cheaper leg enchants, which are invaluable in my opinion for raiding, as you will change your pants from time to time because of new loot, etc.

For your second profession, take mining with engineering since you need the ores, and take enchanting/skinning/herbalism/mining with tailoring. Enchanting is good since you can disenchant the items you create, and skinning/herbalism/mining are just good for your gold supplies.

You could also take engineering/tailoring, but I don't recommend it, as you need a bunch of gold for the required ores for engineering. So unless you got a main to help you, it'd be best if you chose between engineering or tailoring.

-credit to Rayde

10+ Year Old Account

don't have any friends IRL
    Stop playing WoW and start exploring that thing called "outside"!!! I know, its scary at first but bare with it. Its fun!!
    ;D
    For the Emperor.

Quote Originally Posted by Soyuz
    Stop playing WoW and start exploring that thing called "outside"!!! I know, its scary at first but bare with it. Its fun!!
    ;D
    Grats on taking it out of context.

Get alchemy. Although it may be expensive without herb on some servers, its worth it.

2x duration of buff pots
    20-50% increase effect on these pots
    Flask of the north next patch (although not better then current flasks, its a free flask to use while you farm/quest/5 man)
    Crazy alch potion. You get both health/mana pot in one, and you have a chance to proc extra mana from either runic mana pot or rejuv pot. And if all else fails, you get a random pot.
    FLASK MASTA! Seriously, so many times ive went to create 2 pots for that nights raids and gotten x5 that.

Next patch, they are increase the amount of health and mana you gain from Endless Mana Potion and Endless Health Potion. For sheer convenience, these will be quite nice.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Alchemy all the way through!

Quote Originally Posted by Soyuz
    ;D
    Clearly off topic, but not having friends has nothing to do with going outside or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by yor7
    Clearly off topic, but not having friends has nothing to do with going outside or not.
    "nothing" might be a bit strong. If you leave your house, do group activities, then you are more likely to meet people who share your interests.
    As opposed to sitting inside. Alone.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Aei
    I'm not too fussed about min/max'ing so i was just hoping some people could put some insight about what professions i should pick up.
    I was thinking Engi / Enchanting but not too sure.

Thanks!
    It doesn't really matter at all what you pick. All professions suck equally much, and are all worth about 38 Spellpower if you theorycraft it. You should go with some profession you think is cool

Tailoring
    Real Benefits:
    * Occasionally find more cloth on humanoid mobs in northrend.
    * You get a better than average back enchant, worth about 38 spellpower. Or you can get the only regen-backenchant in the game, which is good for healers.
    Useless benefits:
    * Nets. Never seen one be used since Lady Vashj.
    * You can craft early epics, arguably the main reason for going tailor. Problem: These are repulsively expensive compared to the effort required to join a naxx pug which yields vastly superior loot. Noone wants tailoring produce, including yourself. Same problem with leatherworking and blacksmithing.
    * You can also make bags, which are more costly in mats and probably worse in storage than the 22-slotters sold by haris pilton in shattrath. As a result, the bag market is pretty dead apart from the odd guildie rolling a herbalist alt and needing a herb bag.
    * Leg enchants. Nice to be able to make them yourself, but they are not BoP and can be traded freely.
    Cost:
    * At least 5k-7k gold to get to 450. No reason to pass 415 if you only want the back enchants.

Enchanting
    Real Benefits:
    * Disenchanting. Stops being profitable/useful after you run out of quests yielding greens, but still works in conjunction with tailoring, leatherworking, jewelcrafting or blacksmiting as a feeder profession.
    * Ring enchants, worth 38 spellpower.
    Useless benefits:
    * Enchant items. Sure, it's nice to be able to do so yourself instead of relying on others, but there is no benefit in doing it yourself apart from getting faster service.
    Note:
    * 5-10k gold to level, depending on whether you are a blood elf or not. Insanely expensive to level nowadays. Ring enchants available at 425.

Alchemy
    Real Benefits:
    * Double elixir/flask duration, awesome for raiding. Pretty useless if you don't raid.
    * Increased benefits from elixir/flasks. Worth about 38 spellpower or equivalent in other fields.
    * Alchemy stone, decent trinket but expensive to make and quickly falls behind other raiddrops.
    * Procs on creations and random discoveries, these often yield a LOT of money or savings, but are very unreliable.
    Useless benefits:
    * Various transmutes. Shrug.
    Note:
    * Way easier to level if you can pick the flowers yourself.

Herbalism
    Real Benefits:
    * Pick flowers, sell for excellent money. Boring though.
    Useless benefits:
    * The free heal. Sure it's decent for a non-healer class, but for a priest, it's just redundant.

Mining
    Real Benefits:
    * Mine nodes, sell for money. Boring.
    * Extra stamina is always good. Maybe not as notable as 38 spellpower though...
    Note:
    * Mining isn't really advanced, but at least it's a good moneymaker instead of a moneysink.

Skinning
    Real Benefits:
    * Extra crit rating is always nice
    Useless benefits:
    * Skin dead animals, sell for a few coppers to a vendor. Noone wants skins because noone wants leatherworking goods.
    Note:
    * Priests don't have a fast killspeed, making skinning a bad choice for us, and we can't wear leather anyway.

Blacksmiting
    Real Benefits:
    * Socket bracers and gloves, worth about 38 spellpower.
    Useless benefits:
    * Craft useless plate items and metal weapons, none of which you can wear and none of which anyone wants.
    * Craft eternal belt buckles, can be sold for minimal profit on the AH.
    Note:
    * No need to take it beyond 400 which is when you learn the socketing.
    * Easy to level if you have mining.

Leatherworking
    Real Benefits:
    * Better than average bracer enchants, worth about 38 spellpower.
    Useless benefits:
    * Craft useless leather items, none of which you can wear and none of which anyone wants.
    Note:
    * No need to take it beyond 415 which is when you learn the lining.
    * Easy to level if you have skinning
    * It is my personal opinion that Leatherworking is the worst profession in the game, currently.

Engineering
    Real Benefits:
    * Gadgets. Seriously. Engineering is all about fun toys with questionable value.
    * Some unique enchants of questionable value. Used to be good in PVP, now not so much.
    Useless benefits:
    * Pretty much everything in engineering is useless. But it's quite fun.
    * On-demand vendors, repair bots etc.
    Note
    * Easy to level if you have mining
    * Check out the main page for some 3.2 news on engineering, I didn't pay much attention, it's changing a lot.

Jewelcrafting
    Real Benefits:
    * Superior quality gems, making JC superior to any other profession, but will be nerfed in 3.2.
    * Good moneymaking skills through prospecting
    Useless benefits:
    * Crafted trinkets. They aren't really good.
    * Crafted necks. They aren't really good.
    * Crafted gems. They can just as well be bought on the AH.
    Note
    * Easy to level if you have mining

* Better than average shoulder enchants, worth about 38 spellpower. You can skip sons of hodir repgrind.
    * Good moneymaking skills by selling cards
    Useless benefits:
    * Crafted scrolls, vellum and glyphs. Can also be bought.
    * Scrolls of recall.
    Note
    * Easy to level if you have herbalism
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Nice summary, but you forgot http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40077 (crazy alchemist potion) which makes alchemy one of the best raiding professions a healing priest can have

Quote Originally Posted by Danner
    Enchanting
    Real Benefits:
    * Disenchanting. Stops being profitable/useful after you run out of quests yielding greens, but still works in conjunction with tailoring, leatherworking, jewelcrafting or blacksmiting as a feeder profession.
    Actually this is still a hugely valuable ability even when all the quests are done, as every time you upgrade from one epic to the next (in the never-ending grind) you get a free abyss crystal.

Alchemy
    Real Benefits:
    * Double elixir/flask duration, awesome for raiding. Pretty useless if you don't raid.
    * Increased benefits from elixir/flasks. Worth about 38 spellpower or equivalent in other fields.
    * Alchemy stone, decent trinket but expensive to make and quickly falls behind other raiddrops.
    * Procs on creations and random discoveries, these often yield a LOT of money or savings, but are very unreliable.
    Also, the new "Flask of the North" in 3.2 will be a reusable (albeit weaker than other northrend) flask, and usable in arena. Depending on the strength of this, alchemy may be a new 'go-to' profession for hardcore arena enthusiasts. I expect, though, that the SP version of the flask will be right around 38 SP, making it so that alchemists enjoy the same continuous stat contribution (since they can keep that flask up all the time if they don't choose to use a better one) as other professions offer 'passively' -- this is currently a weakness of alchemy compared to other professions when questing / in arena, etc where you wouldn't or cannot normally flask/elixir.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Tailoring
    Useless benefits:
    * Nets. Never seen one be used since Lady Vashj.
    Nets are useful at Thorim encounter when you Mind Control the adds for 20% haste. Eventually, MC breaks and the net gives you just those 3 seconds you need to recast it without taking damage

But however, your post does summarize it all properly, good work on that one.

As i'm more into PvE i can tell u the 2 best proffesions for it :

1. Tailoring : +250 spell power ench for 15 sec's with 1min internal CD which starts from when it proccs , so u got the buff every 45 sec's and it get's buffed in 3.2 .

2. Jewelcrafting : 3x +32 spell power gems which means that u get 3 gems that give u 13 more spell power than the common ones = +39 spell power and are prismatic which means that they make u have the requirements for all Meta gems and u get gem bonuses from items. Though in 3.2 the prismatic "effect" is gonna be drawn away though they are going to have a stats boost to +39 i think.

Cheers
    Zoulis
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    We're driving lemon VWs while everyone else is driving Cadillacs. Warlocks are riding in a limo.
    Zoulr of Hexagon
    formerly Zoulis of Uknown Entity

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Enchanting
    Real Benefits:
    Minor correction: DEing is still profitable if you solo older content, DE all greens/blues/epics, and AH the enchanting mats.

Back on topic... Alchemy is awesome for arena, but can get expensive if you don't have Herbalism (same char or an alt). Jewelcrafting has some obvious benefits as well, but can get very expensive. If cost is an issue, Tailoring (if you're willing to go farm cloth) is pretty cheap.