Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: Disc Priest without PI/PS?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfoot
    If you even bothered to look on my Armoury you would see the type of gear that I have.

Also if you had bothered to read my earlier posts you will see that I'm running 10 man Naxx with my guild, so my gear reflects that.

And to Spiritus, thank you being one of the very few people who obviously took the time to read my original question and actually answer it instead of putting your nerd rage helmet on and going to town on me.

I'll setup that PI macro for the top DPS and try using PS more, I'll just have to make sure I keep using it :P
    You can even download an addon called Powerauras and have it notify you when the CD is up (only during combat) on your UI. Im sure there are similar addons out there that do the same thing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos-
    Missed you <3
    die4lyf
    :-*

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

I've to add something to this whole thing, although Spiritus pretty much nailed it.
    It seems that general opinion is that discipline priest only and exclusively heals the tank, 99% of the time - which, naturally, is false. Tank isn't under constant pressure, especially not in naxx 10. There's a nice talent called Soul Warding and because of that you can shield anyone in the raid, limited by gcd / weakened soul.

So, if there's a huge aoe incoming or the raid is under constant aoe damage (Sapphiron for example) - shield everything. Discipline isn't crappy, nor is it exclusively main tank healer since 1 disco, especially in 10 man, can account for a lot, even at lower gear level.

Regarding the spec, there are a few choices and I won't go into it. Regarding PI - when I heal as disc, I usually use it on a dpser, sometimes on myself to haste up the bubbles / heals. It's really a matter of choice and it isn't ground breaking tho it CAN make a difference at certain encounters.

I suggest using a macro like /cast [target=focus] Power Infusion and put one of your buddies on focus, stick the macro to F1 and blow it every now and then. After a few weeks it'll become normal to do so and you'll get used to it.

As people have said, for your current raiding experience, there is not a high demand to min/max your gear or your talent spec. You could even make up some disc/holy hybrid and heal ok. It's akin to how you can heal leveling dungeons as shadow.

However, there is no reason for you not to learn how to maximize the spec that you've chosen. And to that end, your focus should be on maximizing your healing throughput without running out of mana. That would mean smart usage of shadowfiend and HoH, and appropriate spell choice/priority).

If you raid with replenishment, I strongly doubt you need mana conservation talents unless you sit back and spam GH/PoH. As a result, Imp Healing is entirely worthless, particularly when you have to sacrifice Focused Will, a definite throughput stat.

What you do with your first 2 tiers of Holy, aside from Holy Spec, doesn't matter a great deal, which just points to how worthless those tiers are to Disc. For the big damage encounters, Spell Warding may be better than Divine Fury, but what other non-tanking class takes 5 points into a pure damage mitigation talent for PvE because they have nothing better to get? sorry... tangent /fume

So I would really reinforce the fact that Focused Will >>>>>>>>>> Imp Healing and would urge you to switch.

The changes to knockback make it a moot point pretty much. Healing Focus is not as good as it used to be and I would say it's looked on as more of a filler to get to other talents at the moment.

PI is great as disc. As Disc you are about fast medium heals in rapid succession. PI only helps with that while making our awesome mana regen/pools work/last even longer. It's also great for AoE situations and can let you spam a bunch of PoH's on the raid without losing too much mana while doing it really fast.

I think people underestimate our AE healing ability when it comes to PI+PoH (Borrowed Time helps tons too). I'm not always just the tank healer. There are plenty of fights where PoH and shield spam really helps out the Druids and Holys keep everyone up.

So for those reasons I will never give up PI...not to mention it helps raid DPS out when you don't need it. It's also up so often that it's too good to pass up.

Pain Supp isn't 100% vital but it's very useful. It's almost like a shield wall and it's got a short ass CD. A shield and a PS can really save a life. In the end, even though it's not 100% needed all the time, it's definitely not worth dropping for Healing Focus.

Neither of them are worth dropped for Healing Focus really.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

Quote Originally Posted by G l o w y r m
    PI is great as disc. As Disc you are about fast medium heals in rapid succession. PI only helps with that while making our awesome mana regen/pools work/last even longer. It's also great for AoE situations and can let you spam a bunch of PoH's on the raid without losing too much mana while doing it really fast.
    ^^ This, i notice many ppl mistaken PI for a caster boost. But in fights like General Vexxan i use this on myself. And many other occasions where it will never be used on a caster. Imo Heroism is for that ;D
    For example: mimiron P2, i could use it on a caster to dps the turret down fast.
    But i generaly cast it on a holy priest or myself for the healing. For the simple reason that ppl alive is more DPS then 1 caster who gets a temp boost and maybe 1 person dies.

Casting PI on yourself at "Vexxan" (Vezax btw) is a mana loss. Sure, you'll heal faster and spells will cost less but during those few seconds you'll cast like 3-4 spells, nothing that justifies 550 mana waste. But on the other hand, PI has its uses at freya hard mode etc where it rocks to throw it at raid healer and such.

Besides getting the name wrong (i suck at ingame names ;D)
    I should have been more clear, i only use it when the need comes or some burst healing. We use a drood tank and rotate cooldowns (including PS).
    At certain point he will need alot of healing and i pop it then. Also when healers tend to drop everything as soon as they see a green area :.

That being said, its more an emergency cast for on myself then anything else.
    PI + the shield buff = instant topped tanks ;D

Did the OP really say that he was ditching Pain Suppression to better his tank heals, not raid heals?

>_>

I have just a question: does Power Infusion stack with Heroism?

sorry for OP

Quote Originally Posted by RexItaliae
    I have just a question: does Power Infusion stack with Heroism?

sorry for OP
    If you have Power Infusion on before Heroism goes out, you get to keep the mana cost reduction. However, the haste effects don't stack (and haste is the primary effect of PI) so if Heroism is out, and you try to cast PI (I believe that) it will just say "A more powerful spell is already active."

Even if it doesn't, they don't stack.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    If you have Power Infusion on before Heroism goes out, you get to keep the mana cost reduction. However, the haste effects don't stack (and haste is the primary effect of PI) so if Heroism is out, and you try to cast PI (I believe that) it will just say "A more powerful spell is already active."

Even if it doesn't, they don't stack.
    I always thougt it was odd that they didn't stack considering they're two different buffs. Lust/Hero increases your haste, PI directly increases your casting speed.

I always thougt it was odd that they didn't stack considering they're two different buffs. Lust/Hero increases your haste, PI directly increases your casting speed.
    Casting speed is "spell haste" they just worded it differently so somebody doesn't get the bright idea to PI a fury warrior.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Casting speed is "spell haste" they just worded it differently so somebody doesn't get the bright idea to PI a fury warrior.
    It doesnt affect your GCD, only casting speed. Referring to it as Haste at all is just deceptive.

It doesnt affect your GCD, only casting speed. Referring to it as Haste at all is just deceptive.
    Are you sure it doesn't affect the GCD? I always see people calculating that in when trying to calculate a 1.5s GCD.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by G l o w y r m
    Are you sure it doesn't affect the GCD? I always see people calculating that in when trying to calculate a 1.5s GCD.
    Unless they changed it when they changed the tooltip i'm still fairly certain it was just the casting speed. It's been a while though : /

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfoot
    This may just me being a bad Disc Priest
    /10chars

PS is also great for being able to pull off a channel spell such as Hymn of Hope or Divine Hymn.
    I pop it on my healing assignment and get to enjoy every tick of either spell.