Thread: Warlock UIs

Page 28 of 99 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted

Re: Warlock UIs

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis
    forte - sucks, typical useless noob addon
    msbt - for noobs aswell who need to see all that crap, powerauras do the needed ones better
    powerauras - best addon ever
    showing useless keys - you're a noob, hide all that u can
    screen spammed with addon text - noooooob
    showing damage done instead of threat in recount/skada - you're a noob obviously
    using omen - you're a noob since skada/recount can do it
    showing nameplates for friendly players, pets, totems - you're a noob
    that aimed at me?

If so:

Forte - perfectly good dot timer, not sure what your beef is. Did use quartz for both castbars and dots, but it stopped working properly back in november and i got so pissed off tweaking it every time i logged in that i gave up and took forte and az
    msbt - purely a personal thing, i kinda like the stream of text, i never read it, just gives me vague idea of inc heal rates which can occasionally be useful, in the ss it had just been dowloaded and i hadn't finished configuring it so it was unthrottled
    powerauras - i think it's ugly and it has little functionality i don't have covered
    showing useless keys - don't know where my useless keys are, the 4 i have are for cds, forte's cd timer doesn't suit me and has been removed. Pet bar is useful, this and the cd keys are hidden out of combat.
    screen spammed with addon text - see msbt comments. Other than msbt I don't see any other spam text from addons.
    damage done - threat is already shown with omen. I like information.
    using omen - omen works
    nameplates - not normally shown, not sure why they are here, default show settings of caelNamePlates is normally the only name plate info on screen

Generally - didn't build my UI for you, I built it for me, we clearly differ in our aesthetic appreciations. Your 'hide all that you can' philosophy is fine, but personally I'm more interested in controlled display of information - the more easily i can find out anything I want to know the better. I'm not entirely sure why minimalist UIs are so popular, but I'd guess that a lot of it has to do with wanting to enjoy the game graphics, I'm not an incredibly receptive person when it comes to this kind of thing, so I guess that pushes it down my priority list. By the way, out of combat, when information is not important the only things visible are the map, chat frames and unitframes.

I've no objection to people critiquing if they are self aware enough to appreciate the distinction between the subjective and objective content of their observations, indeed that's why I post at all. I'm not so impressed by being called a noob by someone with no access to any justifying evidence or any apparent interest in obtaining any. I am thinking more now about whether or not I want to keep msbt, so that much I thank you for, the rest of your criticism is largely useless to me, and should be hidden during combat.

Edit: Coming back through the forums and found this. /shame at my hissy fit

Deleted

@Bakis
    Had a look at your UI do see if I could find something bitchy to say, but I quite like it. Not a huge fan of the icons on quartz, or the buffs overlapping unitframes, and I wouldn't have the big red bar on recount, but other than that it's pretty good. You can turn off the red bar in 'colors' by changing its colour opacity, you can do the same for the title text, and you can ofc disable the title bar icons - in case you're still thinking on how to remove it.

Decided to scrap most of msbt except loot, rep and similar. Helps keep my chat frames spam free.

Edit: Thinking about threat/damage meters again too, so I guess you're more helpful than I gave you credit for, still pissed off that you called me a noob tho

I used to have skada handle damage and threat, but it lacked the more detailed info that recount offered. I know recount has a threat meter bolt-on, but it lacks skada's mode switching, so far as i could find, and I was forever forgetting to switch back to threat before combat.

15+ Year Old Account

Ultimately UI's are 'to each their own' and what you need to do is find what works best for you. Like many of you, my UI has transformed over the years and likely will continue to do so as new, cool addons are released.

Some people are not as good at offering constructive criticism as others, all I can recommend is people keep posting their UI's. The more you have to see, the more easily you can say "hey, that looks nice, I'm going to try that out".

It wasn't until I saw other UI's that I realized what I was missing. I look back from time to time at my UI from a few years ago and want to throw up. The main advice I can give is get a big monitor, max your resolution, keep your memory usage as low as you can and don't clutter your screen and use redundant addons. Other than that, continue tweaking and looking at other UI's for ideas.

I'll try and get a screenshot of mine on here tonight as I've made a few recent changes.

I'm looking for suggestion on dot timers, seriously. I'm using omniCC currently and its numbers are too big sometime confusing what is about to expire specially on fights where you gotta move. any suggestion?

Deleted

in terms of judging timing i much prefer bars. fortexorcist is good, dotimer is too but requires a bit more cofiguration to make it effective imo. not that that's a bad thing.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Damax
    I'm looking for suggestion on dot timers, seriously. I'm using omniCC currently and its numbers are too big sometime confusing what is about to expire specially on fights where you gotta move. any suggestion?
    Scrolling Combat Text also works - MSBT or Parrot for example. Text pop up when its ready to go.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Damax
    A lot of people like fortexorcist. I personally don't like it at all, I find ClassTimers a lot easier to set up and manage and it did exactly what I wanted right out of the box.

I could persuade myself to play around with my UI this evening and that's what it eventually looked like.

Annotations:

I erased the Quartz Debuffs after the screenshot but didn't want to do another one.
    Quartz Cast Bar is right on top of the "spikes" and reaches to the edge of the Quartz debuffs (the cast bar is horizontally centered so you can imagine how wide it actually is).
    Grid would be in the lower right corner, with omen/recount (omen in fight, recount out of fight) directly to its left.

I will probably make another one the next time I raid so you can see what it actually looks like in a raid situation.

[img width=300]http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/6007/wowscrnshot121609210911.jpg[/img]

kgpanels, pitbull4, bartender, forte, elk's buff bars, grid, msbt and all that jazz.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Merckx
    A lot of people like fortexorcist. I personally don't like it at all, I find ClassTimers a lot easier to set up and manage and it did exactly what I wanted right out of the box.
    I found class timers did exactly what I did NOT want it to, right out of the box, for my alts. It worked OK for my warlock, but things I was interested in watching were hard to configure.

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account

Bartender 4
    Quartz
    Grid
    ForteWarlock
    Pitbull
    Buffalo
    CowTip
    FuBar and a bunch of its pluggins
    SexyMap
    PowerAuras
    Chatter
    MiksScrollingBattleText
    Omen eventhough you can't see it
    Recount
    [/CENTER]

forte exorcist was a pain. I'M still looking. I hated the scrolling combat text just ''too much'' for me. I'm looking for simple things yet people that does add-on try to make it possible that you can start your tv and put your lunch in the microwave while clicking buttons.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by BartolGdH
    That's a nice looking UI. Is the skin yours, or is it readily available?

dis be my UI! and yeh the minimap sucks .. trying to get rid of low fps and i had to sacrfice sexymap :| still dunno what the hell that squere around it is thou

THIS ABOUT DRUID! druid is most fast in the yellow cat. how catch yellow cat when so fast? i try BUT NO VERY SPEEDY! i need the help against druid. please blizzard mans make not more power on druid :*(
    wise words

Quote Originally Posted by ratskinmahoney
    That's a nice looking UI. Is the skin yours, or is it readily available?
    The artwork addon (if that's what you mean) is SunnArt, I think it was the art package no. 6.
    Googled it: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info11174.html

See also the other packages, there are some nice things there, too.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by BartolGdH
    The artwork addon (if that's what you mean) is SunnArt, I think it was the art package no. 6.
    Googled it: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info11174.html

See also the other packages, there are some nice things there, too.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Slotter
    Ultimately UI's are 'to each their own' and what you need to do is find what works best for you.
    To some extent, that's true. But at the same time, there are a lot of things that you can do with your UI that will make you a better player and there are things that you can do with your UI that will make your worse.

I actually have one of my favorite "holy shit, what were you thinking" UIs saved as bookmark for just this example: http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/653...2609194353.jpg. I am sure that dude likes his UI and he thinks that it works well for him and he might argue that its a 'to each his own' scenario, but anyone who has played this game a high level will realize that a UI like that is probably making him a worse player.

For any class, knowing and executing your priority list is going to make the biggest difference in whether or not you are a good player. Following that will be knowing the encounter you are currently engaging. Your UI can make a big difference in whether or not relevant information is easily accessible so that you can execute your priority list and be aware of encounter mechanics.

(...)
    I actually have one of my favorite "holy shit, what were you thinking" UIs saved as bookmark for just this example: http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/653...2609194353.jpg. I am sure that dude likes his UI and he thinks that it works well for him and he might argue that its a 'to each his own' scenario, but anyone who has played this game a high level will realize that a UI like that is probably making him a worse player.
    (...)
    lol
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/world-of-warcraft-lore-by-richard-knaak-(spoilers)/

15+ Year Old Account

I will propably make some minor changes to my user interface (iLive user interface), and make it more DPS friendly. This will conclude removing text box from right lower cornor and add Grid (or dps meter) and threatmeter into that box. Increasing the size of cast bar and center it and have debuff tracker/cooldown tracker above it. I think it'll be cool, but there's alot of work since I haven't updated this UI for patch 3.3 either yet and can't before I get my PC back from repair. :[

As a gnome lock, I've found PalyPower very useful. When you're not on your pala alt (because everyone has a pala alt) all that is visible from the addon is the red dot (or small circle more like it). And when you place that dot over your character's model and zoom out to the max (even with /console cameradistancemaxfactor 4) you can keep track of your tiny model on the battlefield. You're taking damage? Are you standing in fire? Where is your gnome in the whole mess of players, mobs, aoe and spell effects? Well look no further, it's the red dot!
    Here's how it looks like: clicky