Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Leveling a paladin. Ret or Prot?

As the topic states, i'm leveling a paladin and i want to know which of the speccs is best to level as, planning on going prot at 80.

As prot i'm getting dungeon groups much easier, problem is; How importnant is this, exept for the q's? And, is a prot paladin viable to soloquest in a working speed?

As ret i will have a harder time getting dungeon groups, but i will slaughter through groups of mobs easily while i quest.

Thanks alot
    "It's alive!" - Viktor Frankenstein
    derp.

Re: Leveling a paladin. Ret or Prot?

Quote Originally Posted by Limefire
    As the topic states, i'm leveling a paladin and i want to know which of the speccs is best to level as, planning on going prot at 80.

As prot i'm getting dungeon groups much easier, problem is; How importnant is this, exept for the q's? And, is a prot paladin viable to soloquest in a working speed?

As ret i will have a harder time getting dungeon groups, but i will slaughter through groups of mobs easily while i quest.

Thanks alot
    u lvl Ret then go Prot ....... Ret is faster lvling wise
    "I have been to a place where Love and Pain are one.... Where dancers Glide and Masks hide...."

10+ Year Old Account

Alright, how about talents then? Where should i put them in the ret tree?
    derp.

My pally is 71 and prot spec.
    Even using just the crafted tank gear.

Pull 10 mobs DPS them down pretty quickly.

Come out almost full mana quick heal
    move on to next group.

I was ret before prot and I didn't like it anymore.
    Switched to prot and it's really fun for me.

Single mobs are alittle slower. The more mobs the quicker.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ger&n=Retaddin
    That's my pally btw

15+ Year Old Account

ret is best for leveling.

as far as your spec, most of your dmg dealing talents are in the ret tree, dont put any points in any other tree til you get divine storm. divine storm is OP when lvling. you'll destroy stuff.

wait on other talents like divine strength or any prot tree talents. my armory is linked below, you can check out my ret spec if you like.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

Prot ftw.

Nothing like having 10 mobs on you and AoEing them down.. a kill quest done in 1 minute.. lol ;D
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

10+ Year Old Account

Alright, i'll go ret untill about 70, so i'll get some practice before dinging 80, i'll check Eurytos specc and move a bit along with that.

Thanks alot everyone for the quick response.
    derp.

Ret with account bound items is incredible. Well, maybe less since the burst nerf.

You are aware that Blizzard introduced a really cool, very revolutionary concept called "dual spec"?

So the answer to your question is: YES!

Go Prot. And go Ret!

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by phayze
    You are aware that Blizzard introduced a really cool, very revolutionary concept called "dual spec"?

So the answer to your question is: YES!

Go Prot. And go Ret!
    First of all, i have to be level 40.
    Second, i have to spend 1000 gold.
    Third, i have to gather gear for both prot and ret.

So.. No.
    derp.

Alright, i'll go ret untill about 70, so i'll get some practice before dinging 80, i'll check Eurytos specc and move a bit along with that.

Thanks alot everyone for the quick response.
    Actually best time to go Prot is around 50-60. At 50 you get Avenger's shield, lets you pull a crapload of mobs, and hammer of righteousness at 60 is really cheap and awesome at bringing them down. You might want to wait until 65 to pick up Benediction in Ret tho.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0xAMughoIufzV

a good prot leveling spec. I want to warn you that this is a terrible raiding spec.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0xAMughsIufdE

is a good place to be around 75.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by gnomergon
    Actually best time to go Prot is around 50-60. At 50 you get Avenger's shield, lets you pull a crapload of mobs, and hammer of righteousness at 60 is really cheap and awesome at bringing them down. You might want to wait until 65 to pick up Benediction in Ret tho.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0xAMughoIufzV

a good prot leveling spec. I want to warn you that this is a terrible raiding spec.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0xAMughsIufdE

is a good place to be around 75.

Alright, i'll turn prot after getting the basic prot gear from the first quest rewards in outland then, awesome. I'll keep those trees for use later
    derp.

I was ret until I hit 30. At 30, I respecc'd Prot and started working on AoE-ing. By the time I hit 40, I was going strong and just focused on quests that would allow me to AoE. I saw no reason to do it any other way. It took as long to kill 2 solo as it did 10 AoE.

I enjoyed Prot until mid 50s and then switched to Ret and did that until 80. I think it'd probably be easier to level through that stuff as Ret, but I never tried Prot, so.

I'd say go with what you enjoy more.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by vidae
    I enjoyed Prot until mid 50s and then switched to Ret and did that until 80. I think it'd probably be easier to level through that stuff as Ret, but I never tried Prot, so.

I'd say go with what you enjoy more.
    Once you can grab JotW as Ret, you'll never OOM.

And once you get Divine Storm, you'll kill things very quickly so you won't have to worry about going OOM.

First of all, i have to be level 40.
    Second, i have to spend 1000 gold.
    Third, i have to gather gear for both prot and ret.

So.. No.
    Because [leveling/getting gear/aquiring gold] is so hard? Don't be a wuss, you're gonna have to get dual spec eventually, why not get it now and make your leveling easier?

After what i've heard, prot is faster if you're ok with grinding your way up. Ret is way more fun though and more "quest friendly". I'd say it depends on what you're planning to do at 80, if you want to be a tank, level as prot etc, that's what i did on my warrior back in tbc, turned out to be a good idea at the end.
    Proud to be a stoner.

Tempis7

if you're an instance guy, prot is the way to go - MUCH more likely to get an invite as a tank.

personally I had gone ret until 40, once I had holy shield Prot was so easy to exp with. I used prot til 60 then switched to ret again because of the leet damage from divine storm as well as no downtime with JotW.

I currently have 2 level 80 paladins and have to say that Ret is the best leveling spec hands down.

Why? First when soloing its about killing faster, prot's talents don't give you that, they give you survivalbility. As for AoE grinding, surprisingly all 3 specs of paladins can aoe grind very well. In fact, once you get divine storm I believe its actually easier AoE grinding as ret. As a ret paladin if I put on seal of light I can gather up 15-25 mobs and aoe them down, that's just as good as a prot paladin.

Ret paladins also can tank just as good as a prot paladin while leveling. During the instances the first 60 levels or so of the game, simply having plate is enough to tank most instances. What makes a good tank at these levels is being able to hold threat. Ret Paladins simply can put out more threat that a prot paladins until prot gets its 51 pointer.

Overall, I have leveled in all 3 specs. You won't have problems with any of them. But you will level the fastest as Ret.

first time i leveled pally was in vanilla human , went holy, was a very bad idea, don't do that,

second time was b'elf,

if you want to go prot, and "AoE grind" up, you will take longer than just going ret and questing,

if you have to go prot (for some unknown reason), wait until 35-36 till you can get reckoning, the AoE grind is a lot harder without that talent, even though you will dump that talent when you get to 80.