Is there such thing as 'too' much dodge?

Im becoming aware thats it taking an awful lot of dodge you raise my chance to dodge (mouthful), i know this is due to diminishing returns. So at 26% dodge should i swap out some dodge and go for parry?

Night

Re: Is there such thing as 'too' much dodge?

No.

In 3.1, parry is not better than dodge until you have over 700 more dodge rating more than parry.

I don't know the figures for 3.2 yet.

Essentially the parry rating you get from the gear you pick up will throw the DR on parry skyhigh as it is, so parry is a really poor stat.

To put it in perspective, I have about 29% dodge or so unbuffed and dodge is still 0.02% better than defence and parry (they are at about the same for me right now) per +16 rating gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightstrike

I don't know the figures for 3.2 yet.
    For 3.2 Dodge and Parry are being normalized. They will provide the same amount of avoidance per rating.
    Looking for a great guild on Tichondrius?

Pre-3.2, in any sane situation, no. After 3.2, I would guess that def is best, followed by dodge/parry, but that will only hold until the DR on miss becomes too high, so I'm not entirely sure. In 3.2 though, you want to be looking for roughly equal dodge/parry I believe.

so basically socket dodge, leave parry until 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by Tyneside
    For 3.2 Dodge and Parry are being normalized. They will provide the same amount of avoidance per rating.
    Yes, except Parry will still have a more severe Diminishing Return curve.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormscale&n=Vexryn

I thought it was being normalized only for your base amounts. I believe the DR will still be much more sever as it is currently for parry. There's a blue post about it somewhere.

I thought that given that the DR curve is based off of the rating:stat ratio it would effect the dodge DR curve as well, since the rating:stat ratio is actually what's being effected. I could be wrong, though, I don't recall the blue post on it all that well.
    Looking for a great guild on Tichondrius?

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f63/4...avoidance.html

Dodge > Def R > Parry

the diminishing return curve still hit harder parry, dosnt matter if they normalize the amount of rating to get 1% of each
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlor
    Deleted half the thread and gave someone a well deserved ban.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this forum is NOT grammar school, this forum IS a gaming community. We ask everyone to post in their best-as-possible English.

We do NOT want to see people getting bashed for poor English writing skills. I read the OP's post and I understood him perfectly fine if I put some effort into it. If you are unwilling to put effort into reading a post, please don't put effort in writing your unwanted opinion about it's grammar/spelling/choice of words.

15+ Year Old Account

As for 3.1, Dodge DR cuts hard at slightly over 30%, while Parry DR cuts at 20%, so unless you're over 30% dodge, keep going for it.
    As for 3.2, the DRs are still different but the rating conversion has been slightly changed, so it would probably be better to consider some defense and/or even them out a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

I would imagine that with the changes to normalize parry and dodge rating conversion they will change the coefficient that effects where the DR curve start to cut in hard.

They keep mucking with these ratings becuase once again due to gearing the Blizzards devs are feeling like tanks aren't taking enough damage and they want to nerf that.

So I'd expect a DR cutover closer to where the Parry DR is than where the Dodge DR is. So (pulling a number out of my rear) I would guess somewhere around 25% percent in 3.2.

I thought that blizz said that they were lowering the dodge cap to be more in line with the parry cap to be fair, but maybe that was just me. Blizz are mucking about with them because, to put it simply, they put too much avoidance on gear - 50%+ pure avoidance in even gear from the first tier of raids is quite high and doesn't leave too much room for change, combined with dodge being best at any level, make me agree with them tbh.

Tyneside - the DR curve is based on the caps that blizz put in, 16%, ~48%, ~88% for miss, parry, dodge respectively iirc.

The severity of DR is based on the maximum attainable % you can get. Parry is lower, so suffers more DR as you get closer to it.

The extra rating required for parry over dodge was basically just kicking parry while it was down.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrise
    so basically socket dodge, leave parry until 3.2
    Wouldn't socket either actually. Go str, agi or def for mitigation/avoidance socketing. You'd be best off with str or agi from a tps/dps perspective or stam for effective health though.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by grymgroeth
    Wouldn't socket either actually. Go str, agi or def for mitigation/avoidance socketing. You'd be best off with str or agi from a tps/dps perspective or stam for effective health though.
    Actually, once your dodge gets that bad switching to agility will be just as strong.

Agility will be the best in the end, because of the armor and crit chance increases, esp with inspiration no longer being armor based you will be no longer hitting the armor cap. Or for some have the chance to.

The crit will also come in handy for threat when ShoR gets capped out.

10+ Year Old Account

Evereghalo is right about agility, once your dodge rating bonus is that high it is better to take agility because it will boost you dodge, parry, crit & armor bonus which equals out to more threat and less damage taken.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.