Beacon of Light Idea

I haven't healed since BC, and I don't plan on healing for a long while because of how much I've grown to hate it.

He is currently 75 and leveling as prot/ret.
    That being said, I randomly crapped out a Beacon of Light Idea in my guild, and all the guys seemed to like it. We have four pally healers (not all at the same time of course they rotate from offspeccs) and and the guild has downed yog10 and 25, so that was quite the compliment because they thought it was awesome.

Anyways, heres the idea that people seemed to think were cool. Discuss or flame it or whatever. If someone semi- renowned likes it, they can tweak it and put it on the Wow forums. I'm not going there, fuck that backwards place.
    Food for thought.

Beacon of Light - Mana Cost Undefined...
    Five Second Cooldown, lasts on the target for 10 seconds. When the buff is dispelled or wears off, the target receives healing equal to 10% of all the healing done by the Paladin while the buff was active (on that target or on others, no overheals) over the course of 8 seconds.
    Other ideas, perhaps if the target drops below half health while the buff is active, the hot activates immediately and maybe works faster, over a course of 4 seconds?
    Should this also count heals from SoL and Holy Light Glyph?

If the Paladin places the Beacon of Light on himself, his Holy Light heals for 50% the normal amount, but heals both the target and the lowest health target within 15 yards (20 yards?) in addition to the normal effect.
    Holy Light Glyph would work the same way, healing the 5 lowest people, but those 5 people would be chosen from the range of both recipients of the Holy Light.

Gogo gadget forums

Re: Beacon of Light Idea

I suppose it's a good idea, but I'd rather keep the BoL as it is now and maybe just add that as a different spell completely.

Since I haven't actually raided with Beacon and only done 5mans since wotlk (minus Kara Beta which was a joke)
    I certainly can respect that. From that I understand though Beacon just seems to crap out a ton of overheals and make for lousy tank healing while trying to be a lousy raid healer. Or it just forces the pally to tank heal and Beacon is truly just an overheal bot.

Correct me if Im wrong, the main idea is to try and turn the pally into something that can heal a raid in a more stable and exciting way, without adding a button.

Quite a well thought idea, anyway, Bacon of Light sounds better imo :

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

"If the Paladin places the Beacon of Light on himself, his Holy Light heals for 50% the normal amount, but heals both the target and the lowest health target within 15 yards (20 yards?) in addition to the normal effect."

That was stupid idea, like our 22k crits would need to crit 31k?
    Zenlyth
    Blue Poster
    "freedom of speech", unfortunately, does not belong in the World of Warcraft environment.

It heals for half as much, not 50% more.

Or make it something like Improved Beacon of Light : When it gets dispelled the target gets X amount of health,this effect can occure once every Z seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

I don't think that would do very much for pve, which is the focus of the thread.

A neat little idea, It would definetly mix things up a bit and hopefully lower our overhealing.
    We dont stop playing because we grow old,
    We grow old because we stop playing

did someone say bacon? *sniff sniff*

Great feedback so far...

I'll bump this just once for a chance at *gasp* intelligent criticism before I let it die.

Just wish it didn't have to be killed by the other groundbreaking threads being made on these boards.

Groundbreaking.

thats actually an interesting idea but op in pvp [= i liked it though
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    No, Vanish isn’t working properly and breaks when you breathe on the rogue funny.

I read your idea, and then I went back and re-read it... I am not in favor of it, sorry.

Your change from being a 60 second buff to a 10 second buff sextuples the time it needs to be cast per minute. As it stands now, unglyphed and untalented, you have sacred shield last 30 seconds and beacon lasts 60. You have to use 1 GCD each minute to refresh Beacon and 2 to keep up SS. Given standard 1.5 sec GCD, in 60 seconds you have 40 spells you can cast as long as they are equal to GCD. With haste gear you get a bit more, but for now we'll stick with standard numbers for easier math.

40 GCD available per minute - 3(2 SS and 1 beacon)= 37 GCD avalilable for healing/hand of salv/hand of sacrifice/etc

Your system:
    40GCD available per minute - 8(6 beacon and 2 SS)= 32 GCD available for healing/etc

In order to keep your beacon up, you lose 5 additional heals you could have cast. Depending if those are FoL or HL, that can make a big difference.

The other problem I have with this is it does the same as the new beacon does, take away from thinking. You don't have to worry about who has the lowest health and monitor the raid, you just cast the heal and the beacon target gets it, overheal and all. With your system, you just beacon yourself and throw HLs on the tank, and it heals the lowest people around him without you having to target them. It is a "smart heal', with the effect done serverside like the other healing classes have(chain heal, prayer of healing, etc).

As a change to beacon of light, I have to say no. As a new ability, I would be all for it. It would give us a new healing ability to monitor, could have one doing it in raid and another holy paladin doing the normal SS beacon to give a reason to have more than 1 holy paladin in a raid, it would give us a smartheal/hot that some people seem to be screaming over and over for with paladins assigned to healing the tank not having to use it and sticking with SS+beacon as we do now...

It could be very good, but it should stand on its own, and NOT be a change to beacon of light.

I see where you're coming from there, but have you taken into consideration tweaking it further to make it more like the regular Beacon of Light?
    The two heals I'm wanting it to emulate slightly are Binding Heal and a mix of Rejuv/Earth Shield. One option could be to have the Beacon last 30 seconds on its own, or more, and having the Hot activate at intervals during the duration. Maybe...
    Beacon lasts 30 seconds, cooldown 20 seconds. Have the Hot activate and last after 10 seconds, for 10 seconds. During each that 10 seconds it saves up the heals done for the following Hot after.
    Of course the healing from the Hot itself couldn't be counted or it would stack up very high by the end of each fight, or be exploited.

You're completely right about one thing though, with a 5-10 second cooldown this would be really hard to handle, especially since Paladins already don't have enough emergency buttons for healing in pve. If it was on such a low cooldown, it would have to be taken off the GCD like Nature's Swiftness.

If we did make it an entire new ability, would we be forced to put it into the holy tree? Likely not, I can't see it breaking anything for Prot and Ret anywhere. However, having both that and Beacon could be too much, which would force and nerfs.

15+ Year Old Account

I always liked the Idea that paladins use that AoE attack they have (Cant remember its name anymore) to heal instead of doing damage (Holy pala talent to make it heal).

Seems like a very interesting AoE heal if Blizz did that, seeying the paladin has to move towards the spot where he/she wants to heal. Or use it like the Green Sludge in General Vezax fight (Low on hp, run to me!)

Beacon of Light seems fine how it is, its an interesting little "buff" that adds something special to the paladins.
    Dawwwwwww

the way i thot they where going to do beacon of light when i 1st herd of the spell was turning the paladin into the beacon when cast and doing some sort of aoe heal over time to people around the paladin or a aura of safety ruducing damage by some %

the way i imagined it was paladin cast beacon of light and raid could see a light round the paladin and people ran to the caster

Quote Originally Posted by Kalm
    I see where you're coming from there, but have you taken into consideration tweaking it further to make it more like the regular Beacon of Light?
    The two heals I'm wanting it to emulate slightly are Binding Heal and a mix of Rejuv/Earth Shield. One option could be to have the Beacon last 30 seconds on its own, or more, and having the Hot activate at intervals during the duration. Maybe...
    Beacon lasts 30 seconds, cooldown 20 seconds. Have the Hot activate and last after 10 seconds, for 10 seconds. During each that 10 seconds it saves up the heals done for the following Hot after.
    Of course the healing from the Hot itself couldn't be counted or it would stack up very high by the end of each fight, or be exploited.

You're completely right about one thing though, with a 5-10 second cooldown this would be really hard to handle, especially since Paladins already don't have enough emergency buttons for healing in pve. If it was on such a low cooldown, it would have to be taken off the GCD like Nature's Swiftness.

If we did make it an entire new ability, would we be forced to put it into the holy tree? Likely not, I can't see it breaking anything for Prot and Ret anywhere. However, having both that and Beacon could be too much, which would force and nerfs.
    Having both it and beacon could be overpowered, but thats something for the devs to work with. Longer cooldown? Lessened effect? I'm sure something could be worked out. However, I still am not in favor of giving up the current beacon for it. Before it becomes OP in 3.2 and uses overheals as well, right now I keep it on my MT for most fights, and when he is full, or a DPS is really low, say 10-15k, I throw a holy light on them. It gets to them in the same time it would have gotten to the tank, and heals them both, making a 10k heal a 20k heal, for the same price. I am of course assuming that the tank has taken some damage by the time the heal is cast and is now recieving the same heal the dps got.

Used effectivly, beacon as it is works great. I've done JUST shy of 5k HPS the entire ignis fight in 25 man. With your beacon, I would lose this and my raid would lose a powerful tank healer who can keep the tank up and also save the guy in the pot/melee after a flame jet, etc.