Retribution Pally Build

Now that retadins have to start using Seal of Vengeance/Righteousness, it would probably be wise to put some points in the Holy tree. I came up with this build, how's it look?

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...&version=10192

Depending on the seal of choice, you'd also have to choose between Glyph of Seal of Vengeance and Glyph of Seal of Righteousness.

Glyph of Consecration is still one of the most mana conserving glyphs, and Glyph of Judgement is an obvious choice.

I also got 5 points into Divine Intellect in the Holy tree since there was a surplus of points and it seemed like the best option.

Re: Retribution Pally Build

7/11/53 for pvp and 5/10/56 for pve.

I'm gonna miss the divine shield/divine sacrifice combo....

It took the edge off when there was massive damage, and seemed to help with very busy healers.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by rickastleyy
    Now that retadins have to start using Seal of Vengeance/Righteousness, it would probably be wise to put some points in the Holy tree. I came up with this build, how's it look?

Depending on the seal of choice, you'd also have to choose between Glyph of Seal of Vengeance and Glyph of Seal of Righteousness.

Glyph of Consecration is still one of the most mana conserving glyphs, and Glyph of Judgement is an obvious choice.

I also got 5 points into Divine Intellect in the Holy tree since there was a surplus of points and it seemed like the best option.
    As mentioned above, 5/10/56 will probably be the standard PvE spec and this is how it will look:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sVZEZ...uhdIfsu:0oGmc0

Divinity and Vindication are not "must have" talents which leaves you with about seven points to play around with. You can go further down the Protection Tree with those points and pick up PvP-oriented talents like Stoicism and Guardian's Favor. Divine Sacrifice can also be picked up but it no longer works as it did in 3.1 and absorbs significantly less damage making it an un-attractive choice for some people.

Never put points into Divine Intellect, ever.

I really don't see why people thing SoV, and especially SoR are the new "PvP seals." SoV seal damage is slow to build up, and SoR's seal damage is a total joke due to the lack of crits. Talented and glyphed for SoR, dps for it (from what I tested) was lower than SoC. Yes, you get a large crit, "ooo shiny," but Judgement damage is not the end all be all of ret PvP damage output, despite what you hear/think. Anyway, my ret PvP build would be as follows.

0/20/51
    Reason being is because I don't think the other Seals are good enough to miss out on Divine Sacrifice, Divine Guardian, and Imp. HoJ. Do you really want to give up a 40 second HoJ, a better/longer lasting Divine Shield, and Divine Sacrifice which is another get out of sheep/blind button, also bringing in more utility by helping slow some of the damage to your teammates? SoV is a long ramp time, and SoR only has decent judgements, which barely offset it's mediocre (if not terrible) seal damage. I mean, do what you want, but that PvP spec that is friendly to SoV, and SoR, is missing alot of good utility, thus really making the spec seem more like a tunnel-vision spec that has no depth other than just "Haha, my judgements are high, that means I'm doing lots of damage." Just my two cents.
    Here's my user friendly signature...enjoy.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by SunstrikefromSC
    I really don't see why people thing SoV, and especially SoR are the new "PvP seals." SoV seal damage is slow to build up, and SoR's seal damage is a total joke due to the lack of crits. Talented and glyphed for SoR, dps for it (from what I tested) was lower than SoC. Yes, you get a large crit, "ooo shiny," but Judgement damage is not the end all be all of ret PvP damage output, despite what you hear/think. Anyway, my ret PvP build would be as follows.

0/20/51
    Reason being is because I don't think the other Seals are good enough to miss out on Divine Sacrifice, Divine Guardian, and Imp. HoJ. Do you really want to give up a 40 second HoJ, a better/longer lasting Divine Shield, and Divine Sacrifice which is another get out of sheep/blind button, also bringing in more utility by helping slow some of the damage to your teammates? SoV is a long ramp time, and SoR only has decent judgements, which barely offset it's mediocre (if not terrible) seal damage. I mean, do what you want, but that PvP spec that is friendly to SoV, and SoR, is missing alot of good utility, thus really making the spec seem more like a tunnel-vision spec that has no depth other than just "Haha, my judgements are high, that means I'm doing lots of damage." Just my two cents.
    Explanation on the EfaE?

Mine

one less point in Divinity to get DS.

the question is if devine sacrifice still works with bubble - if this is not the case it might be more useful to spec into imp LoH

if ds got fixed you would trade a 40000dmg absorb for a 30000dmg absorb + 20% dmgreduce for 15sec on a 6min cd

when you use cooldowns to keep the tank alive my guess is hand of sacrifice + LoH will perform much better than ds alone, so 12/5/54 might be a viable option

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dwyn
    the question is if devine sacrifice still works with bubble - if this is not the case it might be more useful to spec into imp LoH

if ds got fixed you would trade a 40000dmg absorb for a 30000dmg absorb + 20% dmgreduce for 15sec on a 6min cd

when you use cooldowns to keep the tank alive my guess is hand of sacrifice + LoH will perform much better than ds alone, so 12/5/54 might be a viable option
    Divine Sacrifice is fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by SunstrikefromSC

0/20/51
    I completely agree with you. The improved SS from Divine Guardian is just a must. Ppl underestimate the power of SS. Some FotM rets don't even bother using it. That's why putting points in holy tree is out of question. And that makes SoC the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ile371
    I completely agree with you. The improved SS from Divine Guardian is just a must. Ppl underestimate the power of SS. Some FotM rets don't even bother using it. That's why putting points in holy tree is out of question. And that makes SoC the way to go.
    I second that. For arena, this spec is a must, especially with the change to SS/FoL.

Only thing I'd possibly change is taking the points from the increased crit on judgements and put it into RV. I'd have to do some testing into what does more damage, but JoC hits for Jack shit now. Besides, it seems better for the 100s of rogues you see in the arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopzz
    I second that. For arena, this spec is a must, especially with the change to SS/FoL.

Only thing I'd possibly change is taking the points from the increased crit on judgements and put it into RV. I'd have to do some testing into what does more damage, but JoC hits for Jack shit now. Besides, it seems better for the 100s of rogues you see in the arena.
    My style with that spec in the arenas has been to save divine storm until rogue vanishes. Instant vanish killer =)

Also in my 2s we had to switch targets a lot which didn't make RV good. It breaks blinds and repentances etc. It would be good for bg facerolling but in the arenas where you have to switch and CC, I wouldn't trust it. Same goes with SoV. Dots ftl.

SoC judge dmg sucks. That's a good reason not to take the points away from Fanactism because crits compensate the judge dmg loss a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ile371
    I third that! I'll go with SoCommand because my team needs my SS and my Divine Sacrifice and my imp HoJ! As far as I have played paladins, I have learned a long time ago that paladins are not a pure dps class like roges for example. We are in a arena team mostly to help others survive, dps is something we help out with. If I go with the dotting business in 3v3 I'll get lots of CC broken in my team :-\

i went 5/5/61

Yeah, throwing a few in divinity would be better than eye for an eye, but w/e. I like divine purpose over 2% more healing received. command seal seems decent enough to use on trash and on adds i wont be on long and worth the point so far.

Though, in all honesty, i didnt have much fun raiding last night. And i don't look forward to tonight (ulduar bugs aside).
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by rickastleyy

the DI in holy is giving you like 300 mana. That is a waste of points.
    and i swapped my Con glyph for vengance and had no mana problems all night (swaping to judging wis too over light). I mean, judgment was moved up in our "rotaion" over CS.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

My current PvE ret build w/glyphs is: 5/11/55

This spec looks like it covers everything I need and still offers a partial Demo Shout debuff. I raid with a feral druid and 3 warriors so this isn't a huge deal. Having DSac was critical even if its only the 30% version and not 40%.

Prior to 3.2, I had 25 Expertise. With the release of the patch and my opinion that Glyph of Consecration lost some of its value, I went with Glyph of Seal of Vengeance. This allowed me to change out of few pieces of gear and gems. In all with the glyph, gear, and replacement of Expertise gems and the addition of epic gems, I gained 270AP, .15% crit, and 62 haste yesterday. With no Expertise gems, I now have 27 Expertise with SoV active.

Since I didn't play at all on the PTR, I found that SoV is some very monstrous DPS. We did the new 25man Crusade boss last night. While it only took 2 attempts to kill him, I learned a couple of things.

- The third phase of the first boss encounter in there is abysmal for ret paladins. I lost my stack every time the boss charged a target.
    - Seal of Vengeance/Corruption does a hella lot of damage when you can keep the stack up there. My Recount was not working last night, but I saw several attacks last night over 11.5K that I believe were judgments.

I like to see if anyone has an issue with this spec in what they think I am missing. No need to say Seal of Command. If you do, you only prove that you haven't used the different seals yet.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice
    My current PvE ret build w/glyphs is: 5/11/55

This spec looks like it covers everything I need and still offers a partial Demo Shout debuff. I raid with a feral druid and 3 warriors so this isn't a huge deal. Having DSac was critical even if its only the 30% version and not 40%.

Prior to 3.2, I had 25 Expertise. With the release of the patch and my opinion that Glyph of Consecration lost some of its value, I went with Glyph of Seal of Vengeance. This allowed me to change out of few pieces of gear and gems. In all with the glyph, gear, and replacement of Expertise gems and the addition of epic gems, I gained 270AP, .15% crit, and 62 haste yesterday. With no Expertise gems, I now have 27 Expertise with SoV active.

Since I didn't play at all on the PTR, I found that SoV is some very monstrous DPS. We did the new 25man Crusade boss last night. While it only took 2 attempts to kill him, I learned a couple of things.

- The third phase of the first boss encounter in there is abysmal for ret paladins. I lost my stack every time the boss charged a target.
    - Seal of Vengeance/Corruption does a hella lot of damage when you can keep the stack up there. My Recount was not working last night, but I saw several attacks last night over 11.5K that I believe were judgments.

I like to see if anyone has an issue with this spec in what they think I am missing. No need to say Seal of Command. If you do, you only prove that you haven't used the different seals yet.
    This is what I run with, but with the point from Vindication in Command to see which I prefer better (Command or SoR)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    This is what I run with, but with the point from Vindication in Command to see which I prefer better (Command or SoR)
    I debated that single point for a few minutes last night, but then I realized.. Am I really thinking about taking Seal of Command?? The seal that I haven't even been spec'd into since I was leveling?? The moment I hit 80, I spec'd out of it and haven't had it since.

Needless to say, the lone point in Vindication was for my own personal satisfaction that I didn't buckle and spec into Seal of Command. Fight the establishment!! err something. w/e

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

wtf with the guy saying vidication is a must for pve...?

u should not hav pts in vind or command, and u should still have pts in prot for divine sac (not improved though) and 5 in holy.