Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Leveling priest for disc arena

Hey guys. I'm not too experienced with priests in PvP but I'm going to focus on arenas a little more with the priest I'm leveling now. I'm 75 right now, and I plan on leveling through BGs so I should have a good amount of welfare gear by the time I hit 80. I also have the crafted blue set waiting, so those will be my leftover pieces for whatever epics I can't afford.

Now, my question. I'll be playing 2s as disc with a rogue, and 3s with probably a rogue and DK. What I really want to know is what is the priority order of stats for low gear levels?

I'm looking at resil, stam, SP, spirit, crit, haste, int (not in this order...). Also, what hit and spell pen do I need for fears/mana burns/etc?

Thanks!

Re: Leveling priest for disc arena

For hit you want somthing like 4% ish for mana burns and mass dispells, so i would sugest getting the hit ring and the hit backpiece and the hit neck. This gets you realy close if not more then 4%, (it depends on the rank of the item, you know if you neck and back are furious or hatefull and such).

You wont need any spell pen becuase you can dispell all buffs that matter, and if shadow aura is up on the pally then he cant protect vs your rogues kicks. You also realy dont have to worry about mages resists either, its not a problem.

Resilience and stamina Is your prioirty. The things you need to live vs are rogues, dk, ferrals, and warriors, more so then casters. Caster will be much easyer to avoid then mele. Allot of the time at lower levels your partner is either going to need to peel them off you, or kill the other person before you die. Giving yourself a bigger buffer with resilience damage reduction and the higher stam gives your partner more time to make his KB, or peel/CC.

As the gear comes in you will get the spellpower you need so besides the weapon enchants for armor get any stam, resilience, or haste you can get. Worrying about spell power is not worth it at all. For every yellow slot get res gem, every blue slot get a stam gem. For the red slots get a purple gem for spellpower+stam.

The spirit will also come with your gear, so you dont need any more spirit then whats aready on it.

The intelect you need will also come with your gear, so you dont need any more Int then whats aready on it.

Haste. Is somthing that you want to stack over crit. The faster that pennence pulses the more heals you get out. You also want to get your universal cooldown as close to 1 second as you can.

I dont know your race, but one of your trinket should be the resilience trinket with a use that gives haste. You get it from WG for 25 marks i belive. It has 95 resil which is huge and when you mana burning, or spamming heals on a bursted target it makes all the differnce. If you get the haste talent and pop the trinket with powerinfusion, you mana burn so fast there is no way you could lose in a burn war. Also your flash heal (you use it allot more in 3's becuase of burst) get so close to 1 second it far out-weighs getting the one that add a bit of spellpower. If Your a human priest, you may want 2 resil trinkets, in which case you can get more then one resil with a use on it, or you can just get the anvil though it has lower resil it procs that spellpower increase when you cast.

You might also want to think about using the glyph of innerfire untill you get more gear. If you have improved innerfire talents, the glyph adds 7% damage reduction through armor. So untill you get good stam and resil that is an extra 7% for the things that kill you fast (mele).

If your not human I would sugest the 111 spellpower pvp trinket from WG, which is also 25 marks. This is just to start out so you can get your spellpower up before you have good gear.

For the meta gem i would get stam + stun reduction becuase the things that most kill priests in arena (or puts them in a place to be killed) is a long stun when their painsupresion isnt on cooldown. So shorter stuns are always better, pluss the stam.

EDIT: As for gear, I would spend your arena points on the lower gear you can, (in this current season it is hatefull) get a full set and get all the furious pieces of non-set(so rings, bracers, ect) as soon as your raiting allows you to get them. You can then go straight for the weapons, which is important (getting the staff is probibly a good idea as it has more stam/res then one hander and weapon but that is a preference thing) Then you getting about 700 points a week, at least and you can skip the middle tier pvp armor (which is currently deadly) and go straight at furious. In the next seaons i would do the same thing, its a waste of arena points to get that middle armor. Getting all the pieces of hatefull and as many of furious as you can will allow you to hit the point where you can easily get 1850 with a 3's team. From their its all up hill.

This link is an example that it is totaly possible to skip the middle armor. While this link shows that the charicter is not on a 3's team, it was on a 3's team that was much higher raiting. The 3's team is where the raiting for all the gear was aquired as the 2's personal raiting has not caught up with the team raiting. And you cant get that staff it is wearing without 2350 raiting.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...mane&n=buzzman

Obviously this charicter with a full hatefullset and the furious nonset pieces was able to get 2350. Which, I belive, you can buy all of the pices.

Also note the 24,240 hp unbuffed. With the imp fort that like 26k+ hp. It also has 10% damage reduction from resilience.

The gems also were bought for cheapness but it comes to the same stats as if you had put a yellow gem in all yellow slots and blue gem in all blue slots. Since 1 yellow and 1 blue gem are = in stats to 2 hybrid gems with the same stats (stam+res in this case).

As for the talents, Those have recently been switched to match the teams that this charicter is currently facing at his rank. I would sugest you make your own talent choices and not copy it as it wont work that well without gear and vs certain teams in lower raiting. If you play 3's your talents will also be largly differnt becuase you will flash heal much more. a 3's spec is way differnt then a 2's spec.

Hope that helps, there is allot of info here maby I should make a guide. 2350 with only the hatefullset! or somthing.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

Jesus...what a helpful post. Thanks so much dude.

I just thought of another question not really priest related, but I'll ask here anyway. I haven't really been following arena seasons much.

When this season ends and 6 starts, will I be able to get the next tier of arena gear with honor? Basically, would it be worth waiting and holding on to marks?

Yes, the gear will shift, so you will be able to get deadly in the new season like you can get hatefull now, and so on. I would say its worth getting 100 marks and saving them for next seaon, but if you have the time, and you at 75k honor. Buy a piece of gear and get back up to 75k. You can get the hatefull set pieces through honor if you so wish also.

I would try to get an epic pvp piece in every slot before next seaon, the best for each slot that i can becuase that means next seaon when everybody's points reset you will have an easyer time of getting a better score. And more score means more arena ponits, and more points means getting gear faster. At some point you wont need honor (except for non-set) since the best set of arena pieces uses pure arena points and 0 honor.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

Makes sense to me.

Thanks again!!

I'm undead btw.

I dont agree with much that TwistedPower did say.

First you should get 5% hit, more doesnt hurt but not needed.

Spell pen is something u will need aswell for sure. there is no way in hell u can dispell the SR buff on all char or maybe even one char, depends on what setup they play and u play.
    You cant chose what buff u want to dispell u know ;P

and dont stack resi/ stam, stack resi/ SP after u got the 5% hit.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Doomhammer&n=Tixwi

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Doomhammer&n=Mnem%C3%AEc

I do not agree with neither rawzs or TwisterPower in the matters of hit. The question was which stats were important for low levels, and that's a pretty simple question. Now my two main setups during wotlk has been rogue/feral and disc/feral. As rogue/feral against a priest/whatever setup, the priest will die within a few seconds, no matter which stats he has stacked and how good his gear is. As priest/feral against let's say priest/rogue, it's a matter of me (the feral) killing their priest before my teammate dies, so again no need for any hit.

So, in order for the rogue to take a while to take away your health, you need first of all resilience, and then stamina. And to be able to heal yourself sufficient, you want spell power -> haste -> crit -> int -> mp5 -> spirit, but resilience and stamina should be prioritized before these. As a disc priest, I would never use any gems with anything other than resi, sta and sp.

When you get better gear and get to a higher rating, hit will be important, and one missed fear/dispel can mean a lost game, but at low level gear, I would definatly only think about your ability to keep yourself (and your teammate, should they attack him) alive. Priest is the easiest target to kill in the game, so be prepared for a ton of melee doing on you all the time.

First of all, Disc is failing hard at high skill levels with this new patch. If you plan on reaching a high rating, you're going to find yourself very frustrated. However, it does just fine if you're not going for Gladiator.

Regarding hit:
    It's your #1 priority. No matter what your gear level, make sure you are hit capped. It doesn't matter what level you're playing at, a missed fear will more than likely be the difference between a win and a loss. If you look at stats in terms of overall value, hit rating is worth a lot more than any other stat.

Regarding spell pen:
    It's nice to have, not required. You can get by fine without any spell pen what so ever.

Regarding resilience:
    You want resilience. Ignore everything else and get what has the most resilience.
    Stamina appears in high values on items with resilience, so you don't have to worry about it.
    Until you have roughly 900 resilience, just pile it on with disregard for other stats. Some people prefer as little as 800 resilience, I prefer 1000, but 900 is a good number to have.

Regarding spell power:
    This is the stat you want second most. Disc Priests are offensive healers, spell power is important, it makes your nukes hit harder. Unfortunately, the offensive part was diminished by the 3.2 resilience change, which is a large part of why Priests have dropped hard in the PvP healer rankings. Until everyone you play against is running with full Furious gear, though, having high spell power will allow you and your Rogue to gib someone in the opening CC chain.

tl;dr:
    Get 5% hit before anything else, it's not hard with enchants and a few off pieces.
    Spell penetration is not required, at all, it's just something to get when you have extra arena points to blow.
    Resilience is your #1 stat, once you're hit capped ignore everything but resilience when choosing gear. Get about 900 of it.
    Spell power is your #2 stat, once you have roughly 900 resilience, start grabbing pieces that give you the most spell power while maintaining 900 resilience.

p.s. a tip for new Priests. The Mooncloth (spirit) PvP set is for Disc Priests, the Satin (crit) PvP set is for Shadow Priests, right? Wrong. With the new state of PvP introduced in 3.2, a Disc Priest is at a massive disadvantage in regards to mana efficiency. You will absolutely not outlast any other healer's mana pool. A lot of high rated Priests are starting to come to the conclusion that they'd be better off swapping their Mooncloth for Satin, since their mana regen is already complete crap.
    When you start buying PvP gear, go for the Satin set, not the Mooncloth.

Ununoctium, he didnt ask for gear in BGs.. he did just say he lv by BGs now.

and to Elektrik, you got a nice post zsuper and a short from me ;P

no offence, but dont fo as Ununoctium says ><
    for exemple there is no way in hell u get hast instead of crit imo... and dont get resi/stam, stam kind sucks for us priest. just go for resi and nothing else to stay alive vs a rogue for exemple and then just do kind like zsuper says.

Wow, lot's to take in here. Ok, so one of the biggest things that stood out to me was that you said to get the satin set instead of mooncloth. You recommend this for starting out, too? Not just high end? Also, is the 4 piece very good or would going 2 mooncloth 2 satin be a good way to bump up my resil early?

I would have to disagree with zsuper about hit. If you do not have the resilience stamina, that fear is not going to matter.

Lets use a rogue + rogue, warrior + DK, Rogue + Ferral, Rogue + Warrior, teams as an example since these are the more common cleave teams at lower ranks of 2. Even if you fear actually gets off on most of these teams, odds are without the resilience and stamina you wont even get to cast fear and if you do the target will instantly remove it or will already be immune.

Cleave teams are going to be the teams that OWN you realy hard and realy fast and you need to live to be able to cast that fear.

Any rogue + mele team is going to have you stuned, silenced for most of your pain supresion if not all of it, and any warrior team is going to charge, enrage switch to furry stance pop recklessness and bladstorm. ANd that bladstorm is going to crit you EVERY swing, with a silience from a DK your just going to die without enough stam resilience becuase you wont be able to cast pain supresion. Or if you in a rogue stunlock (and probibly a vanish garrote silence lock.

Stam/res is the most important. While your waiting for the set pieces you also have the option to can get the PvP pieces from WG that have hit on it to make up for it before you get the ring,back,neck.

It would be preference for what you feel though realy. In the end you need all 3, the hit, the stam, and the resil.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedPower
    Stam/res is the most important.
    stamina isnt important at all, gem stamina is the last thing u should, well after str.
    if its feels like u go down to easy get more resi if that doesnt work. get new arena partners.

btw, would love to see your armory TwistedPower

Deleted

Here comes my prio, and I will also tell you why I choose the way I do.
    ( I play with a Survival Hunter )

Resi 1#: You need to get at least above 750 ressilience to be of any use against tunnel vision'ers. Though, with a hunter, the importance of this stat falls slightly. The setup allows you to kite for much of your time.

Mana 2#: This might sound odd to many, but a decently high mana pool will make a priest last way longer in a mana war. Seeing as most of our mana returns are based on % of mana pool, this would be my choice if we're entering matches where a nuke is impossible.

Hit 3#: When you're sorted on mana against the teams you're fighting at your current rating, you'll want to get hitcapped. Personally I use 4.78% hit. It is absolutely vital for a CC lockout of a toon, that your fear / Mindcontrol hits the first time. ( Plus you won't miss manaburns or dispells )

Stamina 4#: This is self explanatory. The higher stamina coped with ressilience, the higher your surviveability.

Haste 5#: This is not something you will be looking for on gear, as you will be looking for it on trinkets. Getting a useable trinket that provides haste, popped along with power infusion lets you either toss some rapid heals, or some wicked mana burns. Also, having some haste when needing a fast mind control to jump the bladestorming warrior down the bridge in BEM, can save your life.

Spelldmg 6#: It really is not a matter of high heals, and the minor damage it gives to your burst is almost obsolete.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by rarwzs
    stamina isnt important at all, gem stamina is the last thing u should, well after str.
    if its feels like u go down to easy get more resi if that doesnt work. get new arena partners.

btw, would love to see your armory TwistedPower

Sigh why does everybody go, omg your wrong let me see your armory QQ. Now let me see your armory noob, you should realy post first, I was 2400 on my 3's and my 2350 staff proves it.

My way does work, it may not work for you but obviously it is not wrong. My way might work for sombody else, get over it, there never is just one right answer to arena.

Edit: Flormelis says allot of good things.

Sigh why does everybody go, omg your wrong let me see your armory QQ. Now let me see your armory noob, you should realy post first, I was 2400 on my 3's and my 2350 staff proves it.

My way does work, it may not work for you but obviously it is not wrong. My way might work for sombody else, get over it, there never is just one right answer to arena.

Edit: Flormelis says allot of good things.
    u woudnder why everyone go so? coz u say noob shit maybe?
    and just coz its work for you the way u play like not many ppl do its not right wtf..so everyone who got 2350 have play priest perfect? and u dont even know where u got you wep rating from. it wasnt in s3 u got your wep, it was from s2 and the player who played with u had to be very good I guess with boosting your ass.

go and stack some more hast m8 since its so good.

Yea Flormelis says alot of good things, spell dmg the last thing to get? do u ppl play 1v1 arena or something, or is it only me that have arena m8s that I need to heal?
    like 70% of the times ppl never even go for me. then my resi doesnt help me a shit. SP always help and is for sure the best stats toghter with resi.

Quote Originally Posted by rarwzs
    u woudnder why everyone go so? coz u say noob shit maybe?
    and just coz its work for you the way u play like not many ppl do its not right wtf..so everyone who got 2350 have play priest perfect? and u dont even know where u got you wep rating from. it wasnt in s3 u got your wep, it was from s2 and the player who played with u had to be very good I guess with boosting your ass.

go and stack some more hast m8 since its so good.

Yea Flormelis says alot of good things, spell dmg the last thing to get? do u ppl play 1v1 arena or something, or is it only me that have arena m8s that I need to heal?
    like 70% of the times ppl never even go for me. then my resi doesnt help me a shit. SP always help and is for sure the best stats toghter with resi.
    I dont see any reason to listen to you, you dont back anything up, and I dont see you with any good raitings. Your team isnt even over 2300.

My team reached 2400 when i had less gear then you did, so obviously i could heal them just fine my way. You obviously cant handle it even with all that spellpower.

I dont see any reason to listen to you, you dont back anything up, and I dont see you with any good raitings. Your team isnt even over 2300.

My team reached 2400 when i had less gear then you did, so obviously i could heal them just fine my way. You obviously cant handle it even with all that spellpower.
    I got higer teams then u do, and u have NEVER been on 2400 rating. your higest 3v3 is 2229. my is 2375. your highest 2v2 is 2363 my is 2323 that I got when I boosted a friend for 1k gold..

and since when does your rating says how good you are? never. Your a good exemple, decent rating but dont know a shit abour priest for sure. Your rating says how good your team are, not how good u are.

you only got a decent rating in the unbalence 2v2 and really cant play priest for sure I can tell.

like "no need for spell pen" "hast is one of the best stats" "get 4% hit"...omg try to armory some good priest now and then coz u dont do that and dont know how armory work since u did think u have got higher rating then me. u see many priest that stack hast? or get hast gear? no, only trinket use.

your suck and I wount reply to u again coz u are so stupid tbh, cya! oh not..

Again you prove your ignorance that it can be done multiple ways. I'm wearing a 2350 weapon. Your not. I also did it with less gear, I never said to stack haste, I have the haste staff becuase i prefer it, and I never told anybody else to get it, I sugested the haste trinkets and talents you should learn to read.

But cool story Bro! /golfclap

okay I reply again, wtf has that u wear 2350 wep?!?!!?! so could I if I wanted to. could the same wep as u but I didnt care of my e-peen and took furi legs instead since it was a better upgrade for me.

but answer me? WHY does every high rated priest got spell pen? and with high I dont mean 2200 like your 3v3. why do they??! u say its not needed. and why does everyone stack SP instead of fucking stam that is so great if I ask you? you say u have bad gear? I had worst gear then u, I did ding lv 80 like 2 weeks before s6 and if u got so bad gear why do u have like 2000 more HP then every damn priest over 2600 rating +? maybe coz priest dont gem stamina except from you?

dont try to learn ppl how to gear a priest etc when u cant do it u self.