Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Are priests naturally this slow in lvling ?

Currently level 13, I bought this guy every single heirloom, chest, shoulders, aurastone hammer, two sp trinkets, best possible chants for the level and its going pretty slow right now, is this normal ? At what level will I start to catch a break ?

Re: Are priests naturally this slow in lvling ?

Its not normally slow....

Im guessing your opening with MB, then just doting and wanding.....

Leveled my priest this way and it was faster then leveling my hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Somerandomhobo
    Its not normally slow....

Im guessing your opening with MB, then just doting and wanding.....

Leveled my priest this way and it was faster then leveling my hunter
    You had to be really bad at hunter lol.

Well, all the characters are tiresome to lvl until 20, but yeah, priests are one of the most difficult class to lvl, or so they say.

What I did as far as I could remember, and when I was the right level, was just stack spirit gear, spec into lifetap, MB, SW:P, Mindflayx2 and wand, and I rarely went oom, with having Arcane Torrent and stuff. Again, this was a long time ago, so I could be wrong and stuff.

Overall it was faster than my warrior, and easier I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by trainwreck
    If they do incorporate Worgen and Goblins as playable races it will be the last straw. I've let my children play this (somewhat evil) game in my Christian household for long enough. These changes will bring a whole new level of evil and Satanism that I can't stand by and let my kids experience. I will be cancelling.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

This spec should be what you are aiming for at level 20. It reduces downtime by a lot.

Stat priority should be:
    Spell Power > Spirit > Intellect > Stamina

So basicly you'd want items "of the Owl" enchanted with Spell Power.

Edit: Typos

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Thanks all

I honestly cannot attest to the slowness of leveling a priest at lvl13... since the last time I did it was back at launch.

What I can tell you is the 1st 3 points should be in Spirit Tap. Period.

Now... depending on your persuasion... you can easily level as a Disco/Holy hybrid... or you can level as Shadow. Its up to you.

If you go shadow... your next points should be:

5/5 Darkness
    2/2 Imp SW:P
    1/1 Mind Flay

The rest should be self explanatory. Get to Shadow Form at all cost.

If you go Disco/Holy... your next points should be:

5/5 Holy Specialization
    5/5 Spell Warding
    2/2 Searing Light
    1/1 Desperate Prayer
    5/5 Spiritual Guidance
    2/2 Surge of Light

The rest of your points should go into Disco.. which, again, should be self explanatory.

Spirit should be a coveted stat.. as it makes your down time slower with Spirit Tap in either spec.

I recently started a priest (ie: a couple weeks ago) and have found that it really isn't that slow at leveling like I remembered.

Yes I have the Heirloom shoulders and Aurastone, but even leveling mainly Holy I'm still getting around 2 levels a session (3-4 hours) mostly by just doing quests and killing mobs in my way and I just dinged 36.

I have Glyph of Smite and Shield, carry approx 40 waters on me and use a general rotation of Shield, wait about 5 seconds, Holy Fire,MB, Smite until Holy Fire is off CD or Shield fails, repeat.

There is a little downtime to drink if I Multipull, but generally goes quickly.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-
    ]
    What I can tell you is the 1st 3 points should be in Spirit Tap. Period.
    this. After that, pic a specc (it really does not matter what, i prefer disc) and stay in it.

yea priest is one of the easiest and fastest after level 20, till 20 as you noticed is pretty slow, but after that it will become an endless mob killing without ever going oom, especially with heirlooms (i pretty much kill mobs with just MB + 1/2 MF, they dont even hit me).

priests are horribly slow to lvl but i found it great after lvl 40
    when you can get shadowform just dot a target and move on
    to another one.

Deleted

Priests are indeed quite slow on the fiest 30 or so levels.
    After that, it normalizes more.

Most classes level slowly, or at least that's the perception of a player with multiple lvl80's.
    Try doing a Warlock in the first 15. You'll corpse-walk 24/7

I strongly recommend you go 3/3 in spirit tap then spec into holy dps, much much faster then shadow or disc until lvl 40 with shadowform, and with the BoA like I had on my priest you will be owning left and right.

They nerfed wanding this patch...

Now, after you finish casting a spell, there is a 1.5 second cooldown on your wand before you can start using it. It is like an extra 1.5 second GCD, only on your wand, after any spell finished casting.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Cool thing is your can hit your wand button during a Mindflay channel and it will immediately start casting once it is finished to polish off the mob.

True, although I am levelling a new priest at the moment, and I have gotten to level 26, the time that is traditionally known as "Annoying your friends until they run you through SM Cathedral until you are level 40". Then you spec Shadowform, and you can start killing again.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Why!?!?! Why would you put yourself through the agony!!!!!

Deleted

...first of all, thanks god blizz modified the pushback system in 3.2, nothing was worse than two rogue type mobs hitting you while casting a smite at lvl 14 or so, or any other spell

priest is slow to lvl:
    at low lvl very slow until you get mind flay
    after that you will pray for shadowform
    after you get shadowform the situation is easy as a pie

don't get me wrong easy doesn't mean fast, you will need time to even put dots on target

things to note:
    -gear for spirit and spellpower those stats are the main stats you need especially at low lvl(you will not find to much sp gear at low lvl so keep the spirit at least)
    -you can beat mobs higher lvl than yours because after you spec into proper talents you have a high chance to hit
    -at higher lvl don't use all your dots on mobs, your dmg has a slow start up, so you will be tempted to throw more dots. Useless because even 2 dots can kill a mob especially if you also use some nukes
    don't play a paladin in the same time and don't party with paladins, they have such a high kill rate you will abandon your priest/delete him. You can pvp them maybe even kill them but try not to notice the kill rate they have at low lvl ... btw don't start a flame i play a pala and i know how is easy to lvl it is.

very important: if you don't have some suicidal ideas play shadow, else you may suffer from some weird traumas

Priests are one of the easiest/fastest classes to level once you're around 40.

You don't run out of mana. If you have to drink, you're doing something wrong. I just got my priest to 76 last night, and I'm pretty sure the only time I drank since the 40s was when I fought an elite, an ally, or simply pulled too many mobs.

You don't take any damage. When you do take damage, you heal it right back up by dpsing.

You don't have to worry about things melee do (dodge, parry, block, miss).

I'd say the only classes quicker are hunters and DKs. I don't even think locks are faster. Sure, they can solo more stuff, but that doesn't make them faster.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik
    You don't run out of mana. If you have to drink, you're doing something wrong. I just got my priest to 76 last night, and I'm pretty sure the only time I drank since the 40s was when I fought an elite, an ally, or simply pulled too many mobs.
    AFAIK that changed, and changed hard, with the Spirit nerf - which affected priests the most of all classes. Now you'll have to drink rather often as a Shadowpriest while leveling, at least until you get Shadowfiend at level 66.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!