Help with my holy gear please!

To anyone that bothered to stop in here, thanks a ton, and even more if you have some helpful suggestion.

So, OT now. I've started playing my holy priest a bit more, and I love playing as a healer I'm discovering. My problem is, my healing numbers are pretty low. I've followed play style suggestions by people, and talked to some of the best holy priests on my server.

So I'm here now, hoping it's my gear holding me back. So, if anyone can offer some suggestions on what I can change to help me heal better, please tell me!

BTW: I have terrible luck on gear, so what I have is the best I've been able to get so far. I don't get a lot of time to play on him, so my badge numbers are going up slowly.

Here's the armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ldaman&n=Ergan

Re: Help with my holy gear please!

Your gear is subpar but you seem to have an idea of your stats. I'd suggest getting rid of your spell crit gem and putting spell int/spir. Remember a large mana pool is nice for replenishment.
    Your spec is a little strange. For optimal performance I'd go cookie cutter 14/51 for the most bang for your buck. Gaurdian spirit is very nice for raids. If mana isn't an issue spellpower on weapon would help with your throughput. Didn't have much time to look but overall it's all right. Obv try to get some new badge gear :P

Thanks for the tip. Changed those things around and did a quick heroic before sleeping. Def. healing for more. Thanks a ton!

There is nothing too bad with your spec for what your running. When you get to Ulduar, however, you may wish to modify your spec to drop some points out of GH.

As far as your gear, I've noticed your gemming a lot of Spirit. If your looking for a gem that'll give you both throughput&regen... may I suggest SP/INT. SPI just isn't as awesome with the nerf to OSFSR regen post 3.1. If you aren't having mana issues, may I suggest you first change your staff enchant to SP. If your still not running oom... start moving those SPI gems to SP.

Also, it would help to see a WWS/WoL parse from a Naxx raid. It'll help some of us to better help you with spell selection/playstyle if you need it.

Alright, I'll try to grab a WOL of something tommorow if it will help. And thanks for the tip with intel \ spirit, i didn't realize spirit had been nerfed so badly.

Try to get into 10 man naxx. Alot of easy gear from there, if you have luck with drops.

I used to use X-Perl and noticed my healing was pretty crap. Someone told me about using Grid with Clique so decided to try it and my helaing shot up. When using Grid, I have shift left click for CoH and shift right click for PoH and right click for shield. You can set it up as you want, maybe renew as left click for example. I highly recommend you try it. I also use Decursive as I find it suits me best for dispelling.

Clique - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...ls/clique.aspx

Grid - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...ails/grid.aspx

Once in game, make sure in the Clique settings you only have Clique applicable to the Grid icons and not the standard wow ones.

Edit: Also with regards to gear I'd prefer Spirit. This gives you mana regen' and spell power. If you regen is ok, go for intellect increasing your crit and mana pool giving some mana regen (I think).

http://armory.wow-europe.com/charact...on&n=Acquiesce

I love Spirit myself, but even I think you've gone a little overboard with some of your gemming and enchanting. If you're having mana problems, you'll generally see better results with a balanced approach of Spirit and Intellect. Also, unless you're really desperate for mana, I would second the opinion that you should consider replacing your Staff enchant with SP. Other than that, you seem to have a decent balance of stats in your gear, it just looks like the overall gear level is perhaps a bit low. If you're running heroics to gear up, I'd certainly start saving up to buy some upgrades, where perhaps the T8.5 Chest that you can get for 58 Emblems would probably be one of the largest immediate upgrades you can get and shouldn't be too terribly difficult to obtain either.

As the poster above me mentioned as well, are you using any sort of healing UI? If not, look into getting one; you'll see a noticeable difference.

I'd say...

Gem for throughput for the most part. Your gear level should be enough to allow you to heal heroics / naxx easily without any mana issues. Get SP on your staff, replace all your Spirit gems with Spell Power (reds), SP / INT (yellow) and SP / SPI (blue). I'd try to get some more Intellect (I'm very a very spammy healer).

A good healing UI will certainly help you be a better healer, but it won't make you heal "for more."

Hope it helped =].

Gem for throughput for the most part. Your gear level should be enough to allow you to heal heroics / naxx easily without any mana issues. Get SP on your staff, replace all your Spirit gems with Spell Power (reds), SP / INT (yellow) and SP / SPI (blue). I'd try to get some more Intellect (I'm very a very spammy healer).
    Sure. If you want to stay in Heroics/Naxx 10 forever, or at least have two druids that can innervate you on any fight longer than 7 minutes.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Roll Hunter......

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ss-Time-Warden

Let's all put this link in our sig, and pray that the 4th expansion of WoW includes THIS Hero Class! =D

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Sure. If you want to stay in Heroics/Naxx 10 forever, or at least have two druids that can innervate you on any fight longer than 7 minutes.
    I based my advise on:

Quote Originally Posted by Iliar
    My problem is, my healing numbers are pretty low.
    His gear level is crafted / heroics / naxx10. He wont be jumping to Ulduar hardmodes (where the fights are 7 mins+) any time soon. He needs gearing up, and if his mana isn't an issue (which doesn't seem to be), then my recommendation would be to gem for throughput.

And again, it was an advise, not an order.

GEAR

afaik the aim for ulduar piests are to be at around 25% crit and 2800 spellpower and 12-14% haste fully buffed in a 25-man ulduar raid. and i think 400 Mp5 or something according to elitistjekrs

When you are in a raid there's a lot of crit buffs such as 5% from boomkin, a lot of int and spirit buffs (int buffs increasing crit more) and spellpower buffs (aslo through more spirit). It's really only haste which doesn't get buffed except a small neglective bit from a totem.

So i think on your gear you should go for haste over crit to get to 12% as you'll have to provide the haste yourself. Also i personally prefer haste because haste you can control. Crit you don't know if it lands at overheal or what and you can't use it to plan with. And getting a heal off 0.3 seconds earlier can sometimes be all it takes.

mana management i think i saw somewhere that you want to team hymn of hope with Shadowfiend. Reason is that hymn of hope increases your int with 20% i think it was for 6 secs and the shadowfiend gives mana back based on percentages. So manafiend gives your more mana with hymn active in addition to the mana you get from hymn of hope alone.

In addition in a raid with replenishment the mana gain from that is based on max mana which int grants. So the more int you have the more benefit you get fgrom replenishment. You should probably want int and spirit both. They are both important to a holy priest. However due to blizzard changes to spirit based regen int is more important than spirit and if you choose between int and spirit on gems you should go for int. But you should want both.

SPEC
    Spec is a bit preference style to some extent. Personally i never use renew though i know some good holy priests do. So i didn’t spec for it.

Holy priests are raid healers more than tank healers due to their mana and design now. If i were you’d i’d spec into Heal Prayers simply due to the mana saving costs. PoM and PoH are really AWESOME raid healing spells and they should be used quite a lot. In a raid healing intensive fight having that specced can save you a lot of important mana.

I would also take holy reach just to be able to hit more with PoH and CoH in case people are spread out. And more range also gives you a lot more mobility and imo makes healing easier and fraught with less moevemtns and range issues.

Healing Focus is also not a bad thing dependant on the fight. If it is like ignis it is completely immaterial. If it is Mimiron phase 2 with a ton of raid pushback and damage that talent is amazing to make your healing qucker ans easier and safer.

But it depends a bit on preference and what spells you see as really important. If you don’t use renew at all or almost never i’d probably talent out of empowered renew and improved renew and fill up the other 3 talents i mentioned. If you use renew a lot i personally think Test of Faith is less beneficialthan healing range and the mana saving PoH when specced into it. But i also use CoH and POH and PoM a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Malectrius
    Reason is that hymn of hope increases your int with 20%
    Only the mana pool sadly, otherwise it would be quite a bite stronger than it is.
    In addition in a raid with replenishment[...]
    In addition in a raid witout replenishment you are dead.
    If you don’t use renew at all or almost never i’d probably talent out of empowered renew and improved renew[...]
    If you don't use renew at all you are doing something wrong. It is one of the two heals you put up before the dmg comes in (the other being PoM, shielding really does not cut it as a holy).
    1 point empowered renew to allow it to crit and fully talented improved renew is therefore very highly recommended. (It is not as if there really was somewhere else to put the points...)
    What can be done is ditching Greater Heal talents since it is not very useful in its current incarnation, the primary case being when you are forced to do mt duty (and yes, it DOES happen... unless you do your 10 mens with four healers that is) and have to dish out maximum hps on your tank.

Healing Focus is also not a bad thing dependant on the fight. If it is like ignis it is completely immaterial. If it is Mimiron phase 2 with a ton of raid pushback and damage that talent is amazing to make your healing qucker ans easier and safer
    I run with healing focus myself & not to downplay the talent but the specific example you cited (p2 mimiron) no longer causes spell pushback

Quote Originally Posted by dionadar
    Only the mana pool sadly, otherwise it would be quite a bite stronger than it is.
    ok didn't know that. Though the increased mana pool still means that the mana returned from shadowfiend is greater than without the hymn, meaning my point still stands.
    In addition in a raid witout replenishment you are dead.
    what exactly was the point of this comment? it doesn't really affect anything i said about replenishment. it just comes across as worthless QQ.
    If you don't use renew at all you are doing something wrong. It is one of the two heals you put up before the dmg comes in (the other being PoM, shielding really does not cut it as a holy).
    1 point empowered renew to allow it to crit and fully talented improved renew is therefore very highly recommended. (It is not as if there really was somewhere else to put the points...)
    What can be done is ditching Greater Heal talents since it is not very useful in its current incarnation, the primary case being when you are forced to do mt duty (and yes, it DOES happen... unless you do your 10 mens with four healers that is) and have to dish out maximum hps on your tank.
    There are different healing styles there are some people who uses renew a lot i personally healed a 10-man malygos with another holy priest who used it a lot but through phase 1 and 2 while he used it a lot and i didn’t use it at all (almost) we had almost identical amount of healing done, overhealing done, and even identical amount of heal and overheal on the tank. (we didn’t assign anything on that fight for some reason)

In all honesty why on earth are you making a post with the first quote not affecting my argument, the 2nd quote being absolutely pointless and the third quote remarking on a tiny fraction of the post that is immaterial and then write your own personal opinion about how a priest SHOULD heal and claim it as the truth by default?

Advices are always good but if you are going to claim something as being truth be default (which you are essentially doing with the comment on renew) then at the very least you can explain or argue very qualified as to why or it doesn’t really have any merit

Your comment about the greater heal talents i personally think is quite valid. If you never use greater heal then there’s no point in having it talented. Though personally i feel a bit naked without it. I sometimes use greater heal to catch up in certain situations like ignis if i have to both pfftank heal and raid heal and pot heal

I run with healing focus myself & not to downplay the talent but the specific example you cited (p2 mimiron) no longer causes spell pushback
    Ok Phase 2 on Malygos then. Last i checked that one gave spell pushback. Or Sarth 3D with the Lava Balls hitting you. I am quite sure that it had pushback when i healed mimiron but that is also 2 and a half months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Iliar
    To anyone that bothered to stop in here, thanks a ton, and even more if you have some helpful suggestion.

So, OT now. I've started playing my holy priest a bit more, and I love playing as a healer I'm discovering. My problem is, my healing numbers are pretty low. I've followed play style suggestions by people, and talked to some of the best holy priests on my server.

So I'm here now, hoping it's my gear holding me back. So, if anyone can offer some suggestions on what I can change to help me heal better, please tell me!

BTW: I have terrible luck on gear, so what I have is the best I've been able to get so far. I don't get a lot of time to play on him, so my badge numbers are going up slowly.

Here's the armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ldaman&n=Ergan
    There isn't really a lot wrong with your specc, gear or whatnot. The only real downside you have is that you are somewhat undergeared. It's a curse of the holypriest, we're never quite geared for anything, and even getting more gear doesn't really help a lot.

Aaanyway. I believe you are asking for healing tips rather than gear upgrades. Because I don't find much wrong with your gear per se beyond being a bit low-level. So here's some tidbits:

* Greater Heal should probably be avoided from use. It's a spell that's too slow to do much difference, too expensive to be used much, and the only real use-case is when you have 3 stacks of serendipity to waste on it.

* Use Divine Hymn with an Inner Focus. Divine Hymn will lower your potential healing output, but nets you 8 seconds of nice regen time.

* Use Hymn of Hope with Shadowfiend. Shadowfiend gets +20% manareturns as your manapool increase by 20%. You do not have to channel for the entire 8 seconds, only until you get the buff yourself.

* Prayer of Healing is a godsent if you want HPS, even after the nerf in 3.2. Pre-cast it and use it in conjunction with Serendipity to heal a lot of people really really fast. Throw a CoH just after landing a Prayer of Healing for really really sick healing on 11 targets at once. It rocks.

* Flash heal is an awesome spell in many ways. It's the cheapest spell in your repository (if glyphed), it's very fast, reliable and procs serendipity. I use it as my goto spell; if I have nothing better to cast.

* Renew is actually awesome too. But it's a completely different way of healing than flash heal. Renew works better if you cast it on 8-12 people at the same time, and is playing to the strength of your druid healing partners. The more druids in your party, the better this spell is. Just make sure to talent for it, you can safely drop talent points in talents improving greater heal. Deciding when to use flash heal and when to use renew as a goto heal is a very important choice. While you cannot be awesome at everything, you can be decently good with both of them.

* Don't be afraid to shout for innervates. Requiring those is in your job description, even if you don't really bring anything to warrant them. Just deal with it, train your druids to feed you. Alternatively, paladins using Lay on Hands also does the trick.

* Keep ProM and Renew on the maintank even if you are raidhealing. It will save lives.

* Use guardian spirit liberally. I heartilly recommend the glyph. This spell is where you as a holypriest can make the most difference in a raid environment. Your healing is worse than a druid, and only slightly better than a shaman, significantly worse at longevity than all other healers, you don't bring any raid benefits, and lightwell is crappy. But Guardian Spirit will make a major difference, and the better you can use it, the better you will be as a healer. Cast GS on anything dropping very low, make sure to add a macro telling your target how you just saved their life. The raiders will love you for it, pay you back with divine interventions and innervates, and you will prevent countless wipes in your career as you will regularly save the tank where no other healer can.

* Guardian spirit is a very buggy spell. It will only prevent death if the target is hit once within a 0.3 second timeslot. If your target is hit for 1 million damage, GS will save him. But if your target is also hit for 1 damage more within the same 0.3 second timeslot, the target will die. Also, you must apply the buff at least one timeslot earlier. Even if you put up the spell before the target died, and have a 0 ms ping, the target will die if it was not cast at least one timeslot earlier. Jedi reflexes is somewhat needed to make the most of the life-saving effect. All holypriest players need at least some form of jedi training. Barring that, you need to pay very clost attention to damage patterns.

* The most important part about GS is not the lifesaving ability. It's the healing booster. By casting the spell early, subsequent heals from other healers are increased by 40%. This is almost always enough to keep the tank alive, without proccing the save death ability. So use the spell liberally, cast it with the same mindset as you cast ProM, and don't worry if it did nothing.

* Don't stand in the fire. It's an amazingly effective trick that instantly transforms you into an awesome healer. By the end of the day, the healer alive is the one saving the day.

* Use fade liberally. Fade will save your life. Get some raidframes which shows you if you have aggro. Use fade if you get it. It doesn't matter if you're a squishy clothie, fade is better than plate armor in PVE.

* Shield yourself if you are about to take massive damage. Tantrum, malygos breath, poison on the jormungars in the coliseum - don't matter. Shield yourself. It's a weak spell, but increasing your own survivability is an amazing boon. Again, the healer alive is a good healer.

* Make sure to keep your Inner Fire up. I use powerauras to smear an inner fire icon over the entire screen (50% transluscent) if I enter combat and it's not up. Impossible to miss. Inner fire both increase your survivability as well as your spellpower. It's a must-have buff.

* Divine Hymn can be used to counter weird damage patterns. Sometimes it's like 8 people in 5 different groups getting hurt badly. Divine Hymn works wonders against stuff like that.

* Don't flash heal yourself. Use binding heal on another player. If you need to ensure that yourself and someone else syats alive, spamming binding heal is a very awesome way of doing that. Also, binding heal is a very low threat heal. If tanks are having issues, just switch to binding heal instead of flash heal. Some other healer will be turned into a bloody floor decoration, and you will spend a silly amount of mana spamming it, but you will be alive.

* Body and Soul is kind of awesome in PVE. The extra run speed is well worth the two talent points; helping you to run out of danger zones faster, helping others to run out of danger zones faster, helps wipe recovery and makes recipents happy. I recommend this talent to anyone raiding. In a perfect world it's not needed, but the world isn't perfect.

* Use mana-restorting cooldown all the time, not when you absolutely run oom. Abusing your cooldowns makes you last longer.

* When the raid takes periodic damage, make sure to have the Prayer of Mending out. Tantrum, Mimiron heat wave, thorim arena - it's a damned awesome heal that almost heals like a second healer alone.

* Holy nova is very nice in the thorim arena, if you get a full group to use it on. Pester your raidleaders to make it happen!

* If the DPSers need help, don't hesitate to pop SW: Pain, Devouring Plague and Shadowfiend. Combined they do pretty good damage, which helps a lot on tight DPS races like the heartbreaker. Related, Holy Fire and Smites are also useful in a tight spot. Be flexible; holy priests offer some of the best DPS while healing specced in the game. It's not good or even passable, but it's notable on the end result. Also, it's a good way to keep your activity up. Don't waste GCDs idling if you can spare the mana. As a holypriest you can't, but that's a problem for your raid druids to counter.

* Circle of Healing is actually pretty good. It's not healing for a lot per target, but usually enough to classify them as "saved" if it crits. Use this spell often, the smart healing looks good on the healing meter, actually makes a difference, and it's good efficient healing done to boot. The glyph tocks too!

* Lightwell is useless. Despite what Ghostcrawler thinks. Pick it anway. I use it as a raidmarker on Yogg Saron. It's not like there's a lot of other awesome talents about in the end of the tree anyway :P

* Try to keep Holy Concentration running. It's the only good regenerative talent in the holy tree. Even if you are spamming Prayer of Healing, throw in a Flash heal every now and then (not SoL-FHeal) to keep the buff up. Uptime should ideally match your critrate; if less you will run oom very fast.

* Coordinate hymns with your fellow priests. Two priests using Hymn of Hope is way better than one priest doing it. Three priests using Hymn of Hope is awesome. Four priests doing it means a full manabar to the entire raid. It's very good, so peer-pressure the raid shadowpriests to join the fun.

* For Vezax, if you really really really need more mana (and as holy, you do!), put GS on yourself, commit suicide by taking the 8th tick in the green goo, and enjoy your full manabar. Use a deathknight tank on that fight, so that the tank don't need that cooldown. On Vezax, the GS is yours if possible!

* Remember to have fun.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

I think another thing to consider is who you are healing. I find that I heal a lot less when I run heroics with say our top geared tanks. The less damage they take the less you are healing for. But, if I pug something and end up with a stam stacker he could have 100K HP and I have to heal like there is no tomorrow. Its hard to judge healing and if you are doing a "good job". I like to think if no one dies than I am doing a good job.
    Raid Leading - it's the next best thing to playing every class and spec, you just can't push the buttons or move the mouse. That's why they die.