Page 1 of 40
... LastLast

The NEW Face of Azeroth...

With the imminent announcement of World of Warcraft - Catacylsm, it only seems fitting that some attention is paid to the 'clues' already placed in the game. Perhaps the most glaring example of what Azeroth will look like can be found in HoL and Ulduar.

This is the Eastern Kingdoms. This area of the world does not seem to be affected very much by the events to come.

This is Kalimdor. Notice how the entire central area of the continent has been devastated, presumably by the Cataclysm. You can pick out Azshara fairly easily, as well as Winterspring, Teldrassil and the Azure/Bloodmyst Isles. What is missing, however, seems to be The Barrens, Stonetalon Peaks, and PARTS of Dustwallow Marsh. The big island on the right seems to be located approximately where Theramore is now, so perhaps Jania is safe...for now...

Of course, none of this is probably new to most of you guys, but in Ulduar, there is a 'hidden' easter egg/treat:

This is Azeroth. No really, it is! Take a look. Its in the hallway leading to Algalon's room. You can see Azshara, Dun Morogh, Lake Lordamere and other important land marks. Want a better view?

Once again you can clearly see 'northern' Azeroth. Winterspring and Azshara are clearly visible from Kalimdor, Quel'Danas and Eversong Woods can also be seen, and Lake Lordamere is clearly visible. In Northrend, you can clearly see Icecrown Glacier, and careful examination reveals the Caldera and Grizzly Hills. Now from the other side...

You can easily see Ungoro, Tanaris, 1k Needles, and the Isle of Dread. You can also barely make out the last portion of Durotar, and across the ocean you can see the edge of Dun Morogh and Stranglethorn Vale.

Now yes, I know the world is on its 'side', but perhaps that is simply part of the story line. Conspicuously absent is the Maelstrom...perhaps its 'vanishing' is a direct cause of the Cataclysm. We will find out next week, hopefully! In the meantime, I present to you the 'corrected' new world of Azeroth from WoW-Cataclysm:

/discuss

Re: The NEW Face of Azeroth...

Well done!!!!!!1

By the way, sorry to be a bother, but did you mean Winterspring, rather than Wintergrasp?

Ah yeah, sorry for the typo!!

whoa....now that is some of the first rel solid evidence i've seen....great job!!
    If the Burning Legion is such a problem, why not just throw water on them? Then they'll just be a Legion
    Quote Originally Posted by Vongimi View Post
    What is wrong with having a character show up again? Some people are so dumb and will hate on anything blizzard does. Seriously, if you hate it so much that you cant see straight when they show a character a 2nd time, then you should just quit. Also, never read a book. Ever. You will be mad.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

hmmm... this is interesting...

I'm not sure about the sideways one as much as I am about the other. and also is it possible there is annother continent somewhere on Azeroth we don't know about yet that could be shown there?

First picture.. there is a Southrend!

That is really observant of you, Hothgor...

Interesting stuffs.
    Lolinternet.

15+ Year Old Account

Anyone else noticed that Azeroth either gains or loses a moon between the two places?

HoL: Two moons.
    Ulduar: One moon.
    Looking for Raid: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Come - we must be cautious.

I tried explaining this to my fellow guild members a few weeks back via Vent. No one saw what I was seeing at the time :P

Quote Originally Posted by Travio
    Anyone else noticed that Azeroth either gains or loses a moon between the two places?

That's because the moon is rotating around the world.

Edit: I thought you were referring to the moon in my screenshots. Now that you mention it we do seem to lose the other moon... :P

Championship find.

Great post. I like how things are building up already.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Hothgor
    I tried explaining this to my fellow guild members a few weeks back via Vent. No one saw what I was seeing at the time :P

That's because the moon is rotating around the world.
    Still, shouldn't you be able to see the second one in one of the three pictures you took of the Ulduar one?
    Looking for Raid: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Come - we must be cautious.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

props to noticing this Hothgor!
    i never really took the time to stare at those globes
    Look at me! I have a signature!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

oh, also, look at this sitehttp://mapwow.com/
    definately related.
    they took all current WoW maps and put them into google maps' interface.

I THOUGHT I saw something off about that on one of my runs in there, but propts to you for pointing it out! This is extremely interesting...

And as of now, Azeroth has only one visible moon.
    It had two, The White Lady, and the Blue Child, but at the time of the Burning Crusade release, the Blue Child has since been missing.

This is an epic find. I applaud you OP

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Lionhearte0
    I THOUGHT I saw something off about that on one of my runs in there, but propts to you for pointing it out! This is extremely interesting...
    And as of now, Azeroth has only one visible moon.
    It had two, The White Lady, and the Blue Child, but at the time of the Burning Crusade release, the Blue Child has since been missing.
    This is true, yes. But wouldn't both Titan globes of the world show them both - unless it's simply a graphical oversight.

Also from the pictures: the one moon that's the same on both globes follows a different orbital pattern on the two globes. The HoL one orbits on a plane perpendicular to Azeroth's axis. It follows the same pattern on the second globe, orbiting on a perpendicular plane... but the axis of Azeroth seems to have changed so that it orbits along what is now southwest/northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by Travio
    This is true, yes. But wouldn't both Titan globes of the world show them both - unless it's simply a graphical oversight.

Also from the pictures: the one moon that's the same on both globes follows a different orbital pattern on the two globes. The HoL one orbits on a plane perpendicular to Azeroth's axis. It follows the same pattern on the second globe, orbiting on a perpendicular plane... but the axis of Azeroth seems to have changed so that it orbits along what is now southwest/northeast.
    I mention that in my post, also the Maelstrom is missing from the globe, so I wouldn't be surprised if the story goes along the lines of 'Queen Azshara tries to summon the moon to vanquish the Night Elves but instead hits her city, 'plugging' the Maelstrom and devastating Azeroth' or some such.

summon.. the moon?!

im pretty sure that would make the world go kaboom o.O

Think along the lines of FF7 and meteor :P