Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Vanillalike Specs, what would you choose?

Hi there, long time no see *insert random long and most likely boring greating sequence*,

let me state a hypothetic (or fast hyphotetic, cause i already startet to play it out) Situation:

some of your friends and you, want to play Vanilla parts of WoW again, using only Vanilla-Gear (no BC/WoTLK/Heirloom-Items, Enchants and most likely without Glyphs [not clear bout this one, a pure WoW-Account allows you to learn scribe and use Glyphs], talents are free to choose) und with Level capped at 60. More to it, you may even use a new fresh WoW-Account (without addons even being installed). Well most of your friends are actually already started (DDs of course and mostly "pures") and thus you and one other slowpoke are to play Priest and Warrior as... well Healer and Tank. Showing your will to sacrifice, you choose to play the Priest. Being slow but not stupid you use RAF to catch up.

Now comes the big catch-point - actually... there is no way to play real vanilla, as very many things are already changed to much, especially the good old talent-tree. thus, the question (who wouldn't know). How to specc properly to heal decent at 60? We're talking 'bout very beginning now, so green/blue gear, nothing much.
    And to make things at least a bit more faire and interesting - shadow-spec will be appreciated too, i mean, you already have another accout or just a bunch of 80s to sponsor yourself a dual-specc.

p.s.: sorry 'bout bad english, hope it is still understandable.
    somehow i'm still here... stalking around since... well 2006 or something.

Re: Vanillalike Specs, what would you choose?

Well, the old, old PVE healing priest spec was 21/30 so that you could get Diving Spirit and avoid Lightwell.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

i like the idea :d

i've only played since very late tbc so i have no clue about vanilla time,
    but i would sugest to go up to meditation (no-brainer) and then up to spiritual healing / surge of light
    this is assuming you cant go over the 41 talent points (otherwise i would go deep disc)

good luck with your role playing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamless
    Heh, ahh the internet. Where the 'glass is half full' and 'glass is half empty' people are both shouted down by the heaving masses of "WAAAAH! I WANT A FULL GLASS! WAAAAAAAH!'

Quote Originally Posted by Rtwo
    i like the idea :d

i've only played since very late tbc so i have no clue about vanilla time,
    but i would sugest to go up to meditation (no-brainer) and then up to spiritual healing / surge of light
    this is assuming you cant go over the 41 talent points (otherwise i would go deep disc)

good luck with your role playing!
    Surge of Light only worked on Smite in vanilla and TBC.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

If you asking what would be the most "traditional" vanilla spec... its the 21/30... however the trees have been completely changed since then.

Now, without trying to keep true to old playstyle, what would be the best "endgame" lvl 60 spec?

51/0/0 Deep Disco is my vote. PI, PS, Aegis, Shields off CD. Only tools you don't have are BT and Penance.

Meditation is "required" which chews up a minimum of 13 points in Disco.

If your looking for a "close to original" lvl60 play-style: 13/38/0 would be your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon
    Well, the old, old PVE healing priest spec was 21/30 so that you could get Diving Spirit and avoid Lightwell.
    Excepting the people that took 5 points of Mental Strength over spiritual healing - but i always thought those were idiots anyway

fun hypothetical, but there are glaring problems that ill only touch on. yeah the talent tree changes really mess things up a lot, especially in the shadow spec.

If you want to get VT at 60, you have to sacrifice getting meditation in disc, I have no idea if this is even an option and replenishment is an insane buff at 60 comparatively so it might be worth it. its a fun idea and lots of people talk about nostalgic ideas for 60guilds nowadays, but the reality is that this will never truely be the same. I bet it could be cool running a 40man raid of all people who know enough about the game to want to only be level 60 (most of the people who would consider this are probably decent/arrogant players if they are so disgusted with blizzard's evolution ideas) but it will never be the same.

i personally dont even know if there was such a thing as a shadow priest at lvl 60....at least not frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Greid
    i personally dont even know if there was such a thing as a shadow priest at lvl 60....at least not frequently.
    There was. For PvP. They generally were forced into healing in raids though. Funny story, before Vampiric Touch, on TBC beta, there was a Shadow Flash or something, which replicated Flash Heal, but used shadow spell damage and shadow crit.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    There was. For PvP. They generally were forced into healing in raids though. Funny story, before Vampiric Touch, on TBC beta, there was a Shadow Flash or something, which replicated Flash Heal, but used shadow spell damage and shadow crit.
    I believe it was Dark Mending. a 1.5 sec heal that could be cast in shadowform (possibly only in shadowform). It is the same as the mobs around Andorhol in Western Plaguelands have (the acolytes). I think it was deemed too powerful for a Spriest to be able to heal themselves without switching forms.

And to me, it would sorta defeat the purpose of Shadowform making you unable to cast holy spells.

Hahaha... silly peon. Don't you know its no fun to be locked out of a school because of a form? What was that? You actual LIKE flavor and diversity in your game? No, you don't know whats best for your character. Spriests should be able to heal as well as a Ret Paladin in shadowform.

All hail Comrade GC. High Czar of Lead System Designers.

Here is a link to the talent trees of patch 1.8, with the most common healing build.
    http://www.hilde-leoma.com/images/healingaddict.jpg

Some priests went with 5 pts in mental strength instead of spiritual healing.

Frankly, back in those days the talent trees of the priest were HORRIBLE. Blizzard thought that Holy Nova made an awesome talent (at 1k mana / cast back in the days of 3k manapools), Holy Fire was talentable (and did less damage than smite), Lightwell was the end talent in holy, Improved death didn't give +5% spirit and meditation gave a measly 10% in combat regen.

I say the game has gotten better :P
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Shadowmend, apparently our DPS tree was supposed to heal too :P
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Greid
    I personally dont even know if there was such a thing as a shadow priest at lvl 60....at least not frequently.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raaLqFelbCk

Good times.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Firegod1385
    I believe it was Dark Mending. a 1.5 sec heal that could be cast in shadowform (possibly only in shadowform). It is the same as the mobs around Andorhol in Western Plaguelands have (the acolytes). I think it was deemed too powerful for a Spriest to be able to heal themselves without switching forms.

And to me, it would sorta defeat the purpose of Shadowform making you unable to cast holy spells.
    I remember the reason being that Shadow Priests hated the idea of the spell. But could just be me remembering wrong.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    But we're worried that logic might not lead to the best game.

I think the main reason they replaced it was so that there would be a real reason to bring a Shadowpriest to raids, and being able to heal in Shadowform really wouldn't have helped in PVE at all.

And I remember we told our priests to not get Spirit of Redemption, so we could combat resurrect them faster. Since iirc, you couldn't cancel it back then.

Personally I enjoyed doing deep discipline and getting Power Infusion, and then making a secret pact with the mages

In the spirit of the OP, I've put together most of a spec of talents that are relatively unchanged--Meditation being the only real offender, but it's required either way. It leaves a few points free since, well, I'm not really sure how to handle Divine Spirit and Holy Nova being baseline abilities now. Also, there has to be at least one point free since humans or dwarves would have to pick up Desperate Prayer. As for the other points, I think IIF is safe since the SP component doesn't get added until 71, so it would still be much like in classic; Mental Agility is an option, but I'd think Mental Strength has changed a little too much and really wasn't very good anyway. In Holy, Holy Reach and Healing Prayers are both options, but were both also useless in classic; SoR is an option, but I don't remember when the 5% was added.

Anyway, here's what I came up with for most of the points: 17/32/0

15+ Year Old Account

IMO:

Holy: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVhdu0hZfxtcc0si:mGZ0z

Disc: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVhbuhhVRIcfbot:mAZ0z

Shadow: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bZZGxfcofzcfqczA:haZ0z

IMO holy is the only tree that warrants going into two trees for just to get the meditation bonus. it's more of a spot-heal spec as opposed to disc which IMO would be pretty OP at 60 as a tank healer. looking at it, shadow would probably contend pretty well with other dps dealers also but im not sure
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

thanks alot.

well... as you may think all plans are good, wenn it works out, but it actually mostly fails.
    thanks to RaF i was to fast on my way to 60 *g* and must wait a week or two (maybe more) for other to come.
    my server being one of the best RP-Server in EU still does not provide much PUGs in old content, so i mostly quest around and twink abit.
    as far as quaustig goes i'm totally fine with my own smite specc:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ldor&n=Filimon

and i do think about changing to disc, as far as i get enough crit and a bit more willpower.

thinking bout disc, i'm wonderin' 'bout "borrowing time" and "penance" are this two really so good in old content? 40% spellpower will be around 80 with my current equip and most likely go to 150 or bit more with some mayor emprowements... but it is barely even 10% of my current pw:s absorbtion...
    somehow i'm still here... stalking around since... well 2006 or something.

The bosses hp's were nerfed by 30%. Its not the same at all.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".