Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The new mastery system...?

So with the removal of a lot of the lame talents(+crit/hit/whatever) and making them depend on how many points you put into that tree... Does that now mean that some of our current baseline skills will no longer be baseline?

Back to the good'ol days of spec in consecrate and whatnot??

My first thoughts on this were, aww fuck, this could suck... But then i thought about it a little more and i think i would really enjoy this change.If most of our now baseline skills were talented instead it would add A LOT of uniqueness to everyone's characters. Dont like and/or never use X ability??? Simple don't get it.

Character uniqueness is one of the major things that lack the most in WoW IMHO, its really something i miss a lot from games like D2 or Ragnarok, where your character really felt different and tailored to you.

Re: The new mastery system...?

I agree that there needs to be more variety in your own personal character, but I don't think Mastery will give it to you. :-\

I don't think there is enough info on mastery yet to make a call.
    What are the three things a wise man fears?

The deep of the sea, a moonless night, and the wrath of a patient man.

Deleted

http://www.michaelaulia.com/blogs/wp.../vampirism.jpg
    (screenshot is from Titan Quest, which is inspired by Diablo)

Something like this perhaps?

15+ Year Old Account

I'm really impressed with blizz right now so I think they can pull off some great things with the new expansion..

Off topic: I JUST FIGURED OUT WHERE THE ART TEAM HAS BEEN! lol.. sorry it just came to me.. WotLK has massive amounts of recycling because the art teams a little busy reamking the entire world of Azeroth :P

Quote Originally Posted by Marest
    http://www.michaelaulia.com/blogs/wp.../vampirism.jpg
    (screenshot is from Titan Quest, which is inspired by Diablo)

Something like this perhaps?
    More just like our talent tree as it is right now except almost every talent is a skill that was baseline before. Making different spec's much more well.... different, and applying much needed customization to our characters.

Hopefully, they remove Weapon Skill in 4.0, and replace it with the Mastery system, which is more or less like a reverse system. However, instead of taxing you for using new weapons, the more you use them, or the more benefit you will gain to using that type of weapon.

For example, using a One-Handed sword throughout most of the game will wield improved Critical Strike chance with all one-handed swords, or using a Shield often increases your chance to block, or the total value of damage blocked-per-hit.

This does two things: It lets Blizzard go back and re-improve the Racial Weapon bonuses back to pre-nerfs to become useful again, and it also eliminates one of the most annoying mechanics in the game, outside of daze: Weapon Skill. It's a pain in the ass to receive a weapon upgrade in an instance as a Melee or tank class, only to be unable to use it in the raid because your weapon skill for that specific weapon class is 100 levels down.
    Real life is so hard, we hide in the stars...

That's where our heads are -- My head and your heart

Deleted

just thought it might be useful to link this screenshot (from the front page) here...
    http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...ystems_017.jpg

I simply hope they make it so that there's less of the 'I need exactly this number, no more, no less' mentality with the Mastery system.

For example: Expertise.

All melee DPS need 26 expertise. It's a strange number, but if you're under it, your most important task is raising it. If you're over it, your most important task is lowering it.

This is terrifically frustrating whenever a new dungeon comes out and expertise has been swapped around in where it's typically found, meaning you'll either have too much or too little expertise for most of the time gearing up in the new instance.

Casters and 2H-weapon users experise this with Hit rating, too, and that's even more annoying as it depends on what classes you have in a given raid. Some of the casters in my guild have seperate gear sets for when they're missing those buffs, which includes the Draenei racial, so some have 4 different gear sets for different circumstances to always be right on the Hit cap.

If they change weapon skill to be like that where you get +crit/expertise/hit depending on how long you use a skill, it will end up like the weapon system in Ultima Online. Trust me, it's no fun banging on something for hours before you can finally have the required skill to go do something. It'll be even worse than now(maybe.)

I honestly think they should just remove the weapon system altogether. It's too old fashioned and I really don't get the point of it. If you cani use a sword properly, then all of a sudden you switch to a mace... it's still the same thing, swing that at the enemy as hard and as fast as you can. So why the skill points? and to my knowledge, it's never deterred anyone from picking up an upgrade simply cause the toon doesn't have the required skill for that weapon.

In any case, i'm waiting anxiously for the new expansion. They seem to have finally gotten all their acts together and I think this 4th expansion will turn out to be the best one.

I really like the idea but I am afraid we will get back to the "best spec" anyway (same with the Path of the Titans), unless they change the combat system in a way that there will be no best spec. If Blizzard thinks they have balancing problems now, think what the problems will be in future...

I really like the idea behind the mastery system....and hopefully they find a way to make it work. They are trying to remove the boring passive talents like 5% to crit or hit, and instead reward you by just giving that at 31,41, and 51 points into one spec. Then you can have much more customization with your talents.

The only problem I see is that they might have to do a real big workup of the trees, and make many talents that used to cost 2 or 3 points cost 5 points instead to help fill in the leftover points.

The Path of Titans is a whole nother level though. Don't have a screenshot, but it's basically like stronger, more universal glyphs....and sometimes spells like increase damage of party by 10%, on 5 min cd's. Will be pretty hard to balance these along with all the other changes.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Pojodan
    Casters and 2H-weapon users experise this with Hit rating, too, and that's even more annoying as it depends on what classes you have in a given raid. Some of the casters in my guild have seperate gear sets for when they're missing those buffs, which includes the Draenei racial, so some have 4 different gear sets for different circumstances to always be right on the Hit cap.
    This is stupid, you don't need exactly the cap to do good DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Elementium
    I'm really impressed with blizz right now so I think they can pull off some great things with the new expansion..

Off topic: I JUST FIGURED OUT WHERE THE ART TEAM HAS BEEN! lol.. sorry it just came to me.. WotLK has massive amounts of recycling because the art teams a little busy reamking the entire world of Azeroth :P

One or two guys could spend a few hours a week during the entire time of Wotlk and patches and redo the world..

Hell, they could make it faster by just asking the community for help in skinning models..

I was reading on another post about the mastery system, and they thought it would work so that druids would get both feral mastery bonus and resto mastery bonus (if they specced that way). I cant find that same post, so i have to show it here..
    http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...ystems_019.jpg this.. you will only get the mastery bonus from the tree with most talents in it.

Edit: After more carefull reading i saw that it says "the unique passive talent".. Ops

10+ Year Old Account

Gotta say im liking how this works, I mean did you see the % boost to Melee he got for having 51pnts in Combat? vveerryy nice

thing is I can see how this works very very well for Dps, and I can see how it could work for healers (boosted Spirit, Int and maybe Crit) but how would it work for Tanks? with the removal of defense I can see it basically just ending up being +crazy amounts of Stamina, which seems fairly...lame, as stamina has a habit of turning up when you gear for tanking. Hopefully it'll be things like Damage reduction, Avoidance, Resistance etc.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...ystems_020.jpg
    if u take last talent in any tree, u got special bonus - mastery, look on screenshots
    its easy i think

Quote Originally Posted by qsubt05
    http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...ystems_020.jpg
    if u take last talent in any tree, u got special bonus - mastery, look on screenshots
    its easy i think
    Can you pick one of those 3?

"Melee dmg +72%" wut??
    Sha of *Gay* Pride!

sounds fun

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd
    Gotta say im liking how this works, I mean did you see the % boost to Melee he got for having 51pnts in Combat? vveerryy nice

thing is I can see how this works very very well for Dps, and I can see how it could work for healers (boosted Spirit, Int and maybe Crit) but how would it work for Tanks? with the removal of defense I can see it basically just ending up being +crazy amounts of Stamina, which seems fairly...lame, as stamina has a habit of turning up when you gear for tanking. Hopefully it'll be things like Damage reduction, Avoidance, Resistance etc.
    I think the tanks having just lots of stamina sounds more fun for the healers.. I mean the tanks will have alot of hp, so they wont get that "OH SHIT, he just dropped from 100% to 5% in one hit". From a pala`s wiev it`l be more like " my flash heals wont keep him up right now, so ill need to bring in some of the POWER heals, BOYA"..

Thats what im hoping for!

Same goes for druids, "my hots wont be enugh, bring on the bigstuff"