Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Shadowmourne, Cataclysm Beta, Blue posts

Blizzard employees are already back to work and there are already a handful of blue posts related to the expansion.

Shadowmourne is not for hunters!
    Turns out that Shadowmourne for hunters was another misinterpreted joke from Blizzard. (Don't blame it on me, it even was in the official recap of the panel!)
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler (Blue Tracker)
    Anyone capable of using a two-handed axe can use Shadowmourne.

The stat allocation may not benefit hunters or shamans as much as warriors, DKs or paladins.

There is NO Cataclysm Beta for the moment
    The first Cataclysm beta scam reached my mail today, time for a small warning.
    [blizzquote="Nethaera;http://blue.mmo-champion.com/1/19381854481-there-is-no-cataclysm-beta-currently.html]As always, when there is a beta, we will announce it. Please be wary of any and all claims of a beta or alpha for the new expansion being held. [/blizzquote"]

Blue posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Stats simplification
    What we were finding is that in many cases things had just become so complicated that players were not making intelligent decisions based on their knowledge of how various stats benefited them. That sounds like what you wanted to have happened, but it really wasn't. Instead players would pull up a BiS list, or plug the item into a spreadsheet. If the answer was "upgrade" they equipped the item. We could pretty much just give the items a name and art and make all the stats not displayed.

If you were one of those players who picked up a piece and understood how armor pen vs. attack power benefited you or whether defense was still worth collecting after you had hit crit immunity, then you were in the minority. Hopefully we can get back to a system where eyeballing an item's stats has some chance of being right. (Source)

Guild Leveling System
    Guild advancement is based on the performance of the top 20 producers within the guild. If you have a small guild of 20 (or less), then every person's contributions will count.

[...] If you have some down days, it's not going to affect the guild progress adversely. If you have great days, you'll be up at the top. Keep in mind, this is a great way to not penalize large guilds for having a lot of members and it's also a great way for small guilds to not feel as if they need to mass recruit to keep up with the larger guilds both. (Source)

No new classes for Draeneis
    We didn't set out to slight the draenei. As I said on the first panel, we just didn't think any of the missing classes fit them.

[...] While we picked some race/class combinations that were on the edgier side of things, that does not give credence to all potential race/class combinations. Draenei have a very well-rounded complement of class selections as it is, and none of the remaining classes are where we want to take the story at this time. (Source)

Terrain changes in old zones
    The terrain is not guaranteed to change in every zone, many zones are likely going to stay the same terrain-wise but the questing will get the clean up. (Source)

Reforging
    It's too early to go into a lot of detail on the new features, but the basic idea here was to make an undesirable drop possibly more desirable. It still shouldn't compete with gear that is actually itemized for you.

As an example, letting someone turn stamina into a dps stat is something we'd be unlikely to do (or at least impose a lot of restrictions) since that lets you turn an undesirable stat for most characters into something good.

Think of reforging more as a consolation prize or as a way to work around things like hit caps, and not the kind of thing that clever players are going to be able to use to vastly min max their character power. (Source)

Leveling easier in low level zones after the revamp
    Yes, there are technically fewer brand new zones and fewer levels to level up through - but - in return for this there is a much cleaner leveling experience from start to finish and many other things. Think of it like this, would you rather have this cleaner leveling system, the guild leveling system, and the new path of the titans max-level progression system or more zones/dungeons to level up through?

We want to hear your thoughts on things especially since we are doing something very different this expansion, but if things don't become constructive the thread will be locked.

Cleaner leveling system? Are you referring to how the zones are being redone (i.e. Lordaeron zone level revamp)?
    Yes. The new system will avoid requiring you to run back and forth between continents to find the right quests to do. Instead there will be a natural flow all the way through.

Also, are you guys going to increase the speed of leveling again, or is that remaining constant?
    Hard to say, just making the system flow better will probably speed it up, but I am not sure that the actual number of experience points needed will change.

And with that in mind, lets say I roll an undead. What incentive do we have to explore say, Kalimdor? If I am a newbie starting out, and I can do everything by skipping along zone to zone in sight of the Undercity, doesn't that kinda kill the whole "big world" feel?
    This goes into the "your choice" category. Would you prefer to hit all the zones in Eastern Kingdoms like Arathi Highlands and both of the Plaguelands or swing over to see what has happened in Stonetalon Mountains and Desolace? You can enjoy one area with one character and then hit the others on another too. We like the idea of giving players more options.

Druid
    Treants
    Treants do fine damage, but it's not terribly exciting. It's nothing that couldn't be accomplished by a spell that just did damage instead. The water elemental (less so the other elementals) and the shaman wolves are more interesting temp pets. (Source)

Paladin
    Tauren Paladin Mount
    Tauren would certainly look strange on an armored charger, wouldn't they? We're keeping this in mind. You'll see. (Source)

Draeinei Paladin Mount
    We're thinking about this, too. (Source)

Rogue
    Daggers
    We drop daggers in raids. The only people who are super interested in them are Assassination rogues, but they have fallen behind Combat. We might boost Assassination without buffing its burst. Probably not through a new talent. (Source)

Re: Shadowmourne, Cataclysm Beta, Blue posts

nice! I get a legendary on my DK ;D
    specs

Intel Core i5-760@4.0GHz
    CM Hyper 212 cpu cooler
    GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
    Nvidia GTX 460
    4GB DDR3 1600 ram
    CM Storm Scout case

Looking forward to playing a rogue as assassination instead of combat.

**Edit - Kodo and Elekk chargers in holy plate looking gear sounds sick hah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliekcookies View Post
    WoW is like heroine among MMORPGs. Once you're hooked, it's an addiction. You can't go back to anything weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by treston323
    nice! I get a legendary on my DK ;D
    You mean, You get a legendary for your retribution paladin?

clearly this is a ret weapon.

I knew it wasn't for hunters, Ghostcrawler tends to joke about such things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

Yes. The new system will avoid requiring you to run back and forth between continents to find the right quests to do. Instead there will be a natural flow all the way through.
    Yes please!

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Caradinist
    You mean, You get a legendary for your retribution paladin?

clearly this is a ret weapon.
    I hope you aren't serious... Paladin and death knights need the same stats so it will fit them both very good.

NOOO. MY LEGENDARY STATSTICK. T_T /wrist
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash
    I want to put Beastslaying on Val'Anyr and AFK in Dalaran.

Tauradin!

That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Worgens for Alliance, Goblins for Horde.

I'll run naked in the streets of Paris and post the video on the front page if I'm wrong.

they better be careful about pvp when they change assassination >.> just make a viable dagger combat build.

Damn this nonsense about legendary weapons and paladin mounts!
    I WANT INFO ABOUT FACTION CHANGE!
    I have planned to slay my Human mage and raise it from the dead for YEARS! >

Quote Originally Posted by Nixia

Yes please!

Edit:I hope you aren't serious... Paladin and death knights need the same stats so it will fit them both very good.
    That Weapon is going in my inventory hold, THAT'S what's going to happen next.

That newbie Orc with the level 70 cobalt armor doesn't need it! I mean look at him! it's a Titan's grip warrior, but with an invisible offhand, he's holding it like a one hander! What a disgrace!
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

15+ Year Old Account

Stats simplification
    What we were finding is that in many cases things had just become so complicated that players were not making intelligent decisions based on their knowledge of how various stats benefited them. That sounds like what you wanted to have happened, but it really wasn't. Instead players would pull up a BiS list, or plug the item into a spreadsheet. If the answer was "upgrade" they equipped the item. We could pretty much just give the items a name and art and make all the stats not displayed.

If you were one of those players who picked up a piece and understood how armor pen vs. attack power benefited you or whether defense was still worth collecting after you had hit crit immunity, then you were in the minority. Hopefully we can get back to a system where eyeballing an item's stats has some chance of being right. (Source)
    I liked theocrafting

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account

DPS Casters: wtf where's our legendary?
    Melee: LOL @ YOU FOR NOT BEING THE 0.01% THAT WAS ABLE TO GET ATEISH /hugs 5 available legendaries
    DPS Casters:
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

It's totally a hunter weapon

Or so blizzard said.
    Sarcasm is pretty hard to grasp for some people :x

Why people are either happy, or cry, for a legendary item?.

You won't have it, get it in your head, unless you are the leader of a big guild, or an officer if the leader can't equip it. Unless you suck VERY well irl.

Mmm, as a fury warrior I am happy.

Still say Shadowmourne should be a sword.. but still excited its not just a DK / Hunter weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Zenarius
    Why people are either happy, or cry, for a legendary item?.

You won't have it, get it in your head, unless you are the leader of a big guild, or an officer if the leader can't equip it. Unless you suck VERY well irl.
    I'm not in a crappy guild where the leader ninjas everything. Any raider that is pulling their weight should have a chance at this
    specs

Intel Core i5-760@4.0GHz
    CM Hyper 212 cpu cooler
    GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
    Nvidia GTX 460
    4GB DDR3 1600 ram
    CM Storm Scout case

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille

Paladin
    Tauren Paladin Mount
    Tauren would certainly look strange on an armored charger, wouldn't they? We're keeping this in mind. You'll see. (Source)

WTB golden kodo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post
    1st south park garots... now happy garots... next one must be overdramatic seinen manga garots...
    Best of 5 years!

Quote Originally Posted by treston323
    I'm not in a crappy guild where the leader ninjas everything. Any raider that is pulling their weight should have a chance at this
    Never saw it happen.

Deleted

About not giving new classes to the spacecows is kinda lame, they dont want other classes to fit in with them but they give DK to all and even new races...lets not even speak about paladin fitting Taurens.

Either they leave the story and lore of classes combined to races at it is or all races have same chances...this is kinda unfair to some races.