Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast

Re: The direction of the shadow priest

No, that's not the point at all. If we ARE supposed to be great at dpsing 3 targets, why is it he's still below the other casters? So our best output is supposedly 3 mobs, and as such he is still coming in behind, it just further shows how lacking our dps is.

We're not good at single, and the ONLY way we can keep up requires us to dps off-targets, that's the problem and it's not even keeping up. If your optimum still brings you in behind people, there's a problem, that's the issue.

Generally someone in their optimum situation will come out ahead of those in their average situation, shadow priests unfortunately do not.

For example, most ranged, give them a fight to stand still, optimum performance = beating those that are better on the move (melee). Shadow priest optimum, standing still with 3 targets = Still behind the other ranged, and they require an extra variable to be at optimum. The more variables it takes you to be your Max dps, the more you should do in that particular situation if WoW ever presents you with such an occasion.

In my opinion put in this 3 mob situation, we should come right up behind rogues and warriors, not still be outdone by single target while barely keeping up, OR we should get a single buff and a nerf to multi-dotting, not sit in "Multi-dotting is powerful enough to keep up" that just leaves us behind over-all.

Edit: TBH, how much would it hurt if we topped charts when there were 3 mobs to kill, it's not every fight, it would somewhat be our niche. Not my goal, just a thought.

but you assume he was multi dotting on this fight, which may not have been the case.

and seriously, the shadow priest is minimally behind the other casters for that fight. i'd be far more worried for the ele shaman/hunter

And no, i agree it would be nice to see a shadow topping charts where there's a multi target situation. Or in any situation for that matter ;p. It does seem there isnt really any bosses where we 'shine'.

Lol, the assumption is why I said in the original post I made against that meter, that it was unreliable.

But yeah, I don't necessarily want to be the top of the charts, but I think where we shine shouldn't be where we can keep up... Leaves the other fights to us lacking.

Edit: Forgot to say, Ele shams are in a bad situation too from what I've heard, as for the hunter... I'd have to assume died... (Assumptions based on meters are unreliable however, I just have to assume that due to my guild's top dps being a hunter 1/3 the time, warrior the other 2/3, and my hunter is geared/gemmed ArP like that hunter.)

Edit 2: Also, where is the feral druid on their meter, was he tanking?

Quote Originally Posted by Strykzor
    Multidot.
    You didn't read my post, multi dot is a fair way to balance our class. If you don't think it is then your dps ideaology doesn't match blizzards in which case you'll never be happy. The fact is encounters contain multiple targets,they aren't single target dummies that don't move or do anything. A real encounter has a myriad of aspects and classes are balanced on real encounters.

I suggest you try again.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    You didn't read my post, multi dot is a fair way to balance our class. If you don't think it is then your dps ideaology doesn't match blizzards in which case you'll never be happy. The fact is encounters contain multiple targets,they aren't single target dummies that don't move or do anything. A real encounter has a myriad of aspects and classes are balanced on real encounters.

I suggest you try again.
    What is this multidot/multitarget ideology for spriests blizzard has? I think you are over analyzing things. Probably they haven't even given multidotting much thought before they noticed ppl doing it. It's just a result of the spell mechanics that multitargets fights suit spriest best. And it's not like every other dps spec is pure single target, there is alot of cleave and aoe going on.

But we are talking scaling here, I don't think they intentionally designed bad scaling to balance for the ability to multidot. Spriests are low on multidot encounters now, single target fights are even worse. We used to be great on multidotting fights, can you see the trend?

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Priest
    Shadow

* Twisted Faith now increases your spell power by 4/6/8/12/16/20%. (Up from 2/4/6/8/10%)
    * Improved Spirit Tap effect changed to : Your Mind Blast and Shadow Word: Death critical strikes have a 100% chance and your Mind Flay critical strikes have a 50% chance to increase your total Spirit by 10%. Mana regeneration effect remains unchanged.
    discuss

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by fabian
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Priest
    Shadow

* Twisted Faith now increases your spell power by 4/6/8/12/16/20%. (Up from 2/4/6/8/10%)
    * Improved Spirit Tap effect changed to : Your Mind Blast and Shadow Word: Death critical strikes have a 100% chance and your Mind Flay critical strikes have a 50% chance to increase your total Spirit by 10%. Mana regeneration effect remains unchanged.
    discuss
    Yay 2% spell power increase when Imp ST is on!

Quote Originally Posted by Sersick
    Yay 2% spell power increase when Imp ST is on!
    How? All it does is add an opportunity for Mind Flay to also proc the buff, unless I'm missing something. If so, I'm terribly sorry, I'm awfully tired.

Yay for 10% more static Spellpower anyways

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb
    How? All it does is add an opportunity for Mind Flay to also proc the buff, unless I'm missing something. If som terribly sorry, I'm awfully tired.

Yay for 10% more static Spellpower anyways
    Twisted Faith is based off of spirit i believe?

So with some simple numbers

say you have 1000 spirit

20% of that is given to your spell power, which is 200. Then you proc Imp. ST, and gain 10% more spirit = 100 more spirit = 20 more spell power

20/1000 = 0.02 = 2%

Also, now that i think about it, with Glyph of Shadow, it will be 3%.

Oh of course... I totally forgot that Twisted Faith was based on spirit. I think I'm just going to chuff off to bed, then... :

True fixes to Shadowpriests.
    Thank you blizzard, you have answered our calls.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

Deleted

Good buffs on spirit. I hope they'll buff the DPS stats scaling next.

we still have to glyph for the remaining 10% and spend 2 more talent points into spirit -> sp to bring it to the same level as moonkins.

and the will still not do anything about ramp up tiime which is sad

Quote Originally Posted by Berner
    What is this multidot/multitarget ideology for spriests blizzard has? I think you are over analyzing things. Probably they haven't even given multidotting much thought before they noticed ppl doing it. It's just a result of the spell mechanics that multitargets fights suit spriest best. And it's not like every other dps spec is pure single target, there is alot of cleave and aoe going on.

But we are talking scaling here, I don't think they intentionally designed bad scaling to balance for the ability to multidot. Spriests are low on multidot encounters now, single target fights are even worse. We used to be great on multidotting fights, can you see the trend?
    We are talking about the total amount of damage that's possible in a 'real' encounter. Blizzard in numerous blue posts have stipulated that they balance classes around 'real' encounters while wearing gear typical of a progression raid. That means that once you achieve BiS they aren't really concerned of where you fit, this is one of the reasons why classes are tweaked at the start of new content.

Multi target damage is an aspect to a real encounter, so while we might suffer a bit on pure single target dps, that isn't the only encounter style. We don't actually fall that far behind the other casters in single target dps, we just fall behind melee substantially. However an encounter that requires melee to move and use defensive abilities instead of just being able to stand there and hit something without thought we aren't that far behind either. We are within a reasonable margin in those circumstances even if it's towards the bottom of the pack.

Point is people think DPS meters are a measure of skill and if they don't play a class that can structually top dps meters the class must be broken. I'm usually around the Top 5 in my guild for progression type raids, when everyone gets geared I usually fall behind but when content is on farm i'm not really concerned where I am on the DPS meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Raunyc
    It's early, so here's the warning, wall o' text inc.

Pre-BC we were a joke, I'm fine with that there were a lot of issues handled in progress to the current day spriest.

BC, we found ourselves being somewhat viable, at least during tier 4 where we scaled the best, then beyond that we fell behind as a dps class.

Now as we're about halfway through WotLK, things are looking bleak once more... We started out topping the charts in naxx (lol aoe). Moved on to Ulduar, topped the charts upon entry, then slowly fell off (excluding a few fights Hodir, Vezax, Yoggy). Now in general my guild isn't running the "perfect" scenario for a spriest, and I'm fine with that, no 13% spell damage debuff, no 3% crit etc (even when we do have them, people in less gear easily out dps me, and I've spent hours on end working on increasing my dps at a dummy)... But we're starting the same decline that we found ourselves in during BC. I'm finding that even though my priest is moving up in gear, my dps in general stays about the same, maybe move about 100 or so dps up where other classes move 500 or more dps.

This post is more than likely just going to be pushed down as QQ, my class needs buffzorz, etc. but really I've put alot of time into working as hard as possible, yet in fights like Iron Council, even with the Rune of Power, I get smoked by melee. Yeah several people are going to say L2P your class, but when if ever, excluding the aforementioned fights, does a spriest even show up on any meter? Generally I stay away from forums, hell even my guild forums I avoid, but I've been looking around and shadow as a whole is falling into the same pattern as BC. I'd love to spew ideas of how or what to fix us, but in general we're the class that's being left behind patch after patch.

As for why spriests make it into raids still, generally to me it seems as though it's a long time friend, or a MC is needed, or even a disperse (Algalon anyone?). Taking us right down into bringing the class, not the player.

Does anyone have a decent suggestion as to how or what we try and ask for?

Cryssa - <Booterang> - US Nathrezim
    Really m8 dont expect things get better.Blizz wants to balance dps between Hybrid and Pure dps classes.Its not logical a pure dps to be overdpsed by a hybrid dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Planetarium
    Really m8 dont expect things get better.Blizz wants to balance dps between Hybrid and Pure dps classes.Its not logical a pure dps to be overdpsed by a hybrid dps.
    But if hybrids are supposed to follow the steps of the paladins, we need some serious buffs!
    According to blizzard:

Paladins : Lovedolls

Priests : Swineflu

The Shadow priest buff is coming, they are beginning to do it for 3.3 and you will see some vast improvements. Just check the new notes already, they are at least making a crack at it anyways.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Hmm I don't know how this change is actually a buff for me with my 383 spirit since 3/4ths of my gear is without spirit :s http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...rest&n=Mattinu

And about our damage on the bosses in hc trial here is a log of our guild's first kills on the first 2 bosses http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/0...um/damageDone/

I don't see myself low so I don't know really know what to say. All I do is dot snobolds and focus on Gormok. Phase 2 I make sure I keep VT and SW:P on the add we're not nuking and in phase 3 I make sure I have my shadowfiend up when he's stunned + heroism.

For all the people saying that multi-dotting is cheating the meters I don't see it like that. We are not meant to be a single target dpser that's why not all of our dots have a 'This spell can only be active on a single enemy target at a time'. Granted we fall behind when we have nothing else to dot but in multi-add encounters you can do some good overall damage if played well.

if you want to dps then roll a dps class and now heal!

Quote Originally Posted by dddmaster
    if you want to dps then roll a dps class and now heal!
    That is what dual spec is for lmao. I have 5 80's now, Shaman, Paladin, Druid, Death Knight, and Priest. Priest took the longest to level. there is clearly a problem somewhere in there. Imo Mindflay should be able to be channeled while moving, would make the class more unique and versatile, not to mention it would be a huge pvp buff , there are many more things they could do aswell.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal