Maybe they should change Mind Control

Mind control is currently pretty useless.

In PVP it just takes you and the person you're fighting out of the fight for a few seconds. You don't gain their abilities so you can't really do anything.

In PVE its very situational. If for some reason mobs are too tough to AoE they are of course immune to MC. Even if something can be MC'd its never safe because MC breaks as soon as you take aoe damage and then it comes after you. And don't forget the MC'd mob always does lower dps than you anyway so you're all around better off using any other classes CC. Then there's also the aggro bug. If a tank pulls a group but doesn't actually do damage to all of them and then I start casting MC I gain aggro of all the mobs the tank didn't actually hit. This doesn't happen when I finish casting MC, it happens when I START casting it. Many people don't even know about this very frequent bug because, frankly, no one uses MC enough to notice it.

Possible changes?

1. MC works like madness. You cast it and the mob/player acts as if they're under the insanity debuff on yogg. They cast random stuff at random allies. This would allow you to retain control of your character and not have MC break on damage all the time. Lasts 10 seconds. 30 second CD.

2. MC doesn't break on damage. This would at least make it no longer be horribly reckless and unreliable.

Part of the problem with buffing MC is that disc priests dont need any buffs in pvp and I'm approaching this from a shadow pve perspective. Maybe insanity should just be a new ability in the shadow tree? Shadow needs pve and pvp buffs doesn't it?

Drunk toddlers in a dryer

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Maybe they should change Mind Control

Quote Originally Posted by draticus
    Maybe insanity should just be a new ability in the shadow tree?
    I like this part. I love using MC, on my priest and it would be good to have this, but it is always fun to be able to control your opponent.

Useless? What do you mean?

Mindcontrolling Overlord Saurfang in Orgrimmar is the hottest PvP action!

And MC'ing orcs in BWL to get a fire-resistance buff for your Molten Core raid is a awesome asset to the raid. And not to mention, I heard you get to use it in Naxxramas!

... oh wait, that was 2½ year ago.

Yeah, it's pretty fucking useless, and have a waaaaaaaaaay to long cast-time for it to be funny.

I agree that it is mostly useless in its current setup, and the idea of changing it into a madness-like debuff is probably the best I've heard for making it useful. Still, I do enjoy throwing people off of cliffs from time to time (and grabbing people from the cannon ledges on the outer gate of WG to bring them to the middle of my raid and then release).

Psychic Horror is insanity to some extent.
    I would rather see a talent reduce the cast time and be used as a mediocre CC.

Would be great for shadow PvP, being able to MC a healer around a corner while your team kills theirs.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

Mind control is currently pretty useless.

In PVP it just takes you and the person you're fighting out of the fight for a few seconds. You don't gain their abilities so you can't really do anything.

In PVE its very situational. If for some reason mobs are too tough to AoE they are of course immune to MC. Even if something can be MC'd its never safe because MC breaks as soon as you take aoe damage and then it comes after you. And don't forget the MC'd mob always does lower dps than you anyway so you're all around better off using any other classes CC. Then there's also the aggro bug. If a tank pulls a group but doesn't actually do damage to all of them and then I start casting MC I gain aggro of all the mobs the tank didn't actually hit. This doesn't happen when I finish casting MC, it happens when I START casting it. Many people don't even know about this very frequent bug because, frankly, no one uses MC enough to notice it.

Possible changes?

1. MC works like madness. You cast it and the mob/player acts as if they're under the insanity debuff on yogg. They cast random stuff at random allies. This would allow you to retain control of your character and not have MC break on damage all the time. Lasts 10 seconds. 30 second CD.

2. MC doesn't break on damage. This would at least make it no longer be horribly reckless and unreliable.

Part of the problem with buffing MC is that disc priests dont need any buffs in pvp and I'm approaching this from a shadow pve perspective. Maybe insanity should just be a new ability in the shadow tree? Shadow needs pve and pvp buffs doesn't it?

too OP. Really? if it happens it should not be allowed in arena and MC is not Useless. Insanity>Trinket>30 seconds later>Insanity GG you get an i win button becuase if you insanity the healer the Dps are fucked.

i agree with the above a reduce talent would be better and be balanced.

A priest MC'd me while I was questing, so I seduced him and used Chaos bolt and ended up killing him with out him using any other move besides SW:P once and MC.

I was level 68 at the time, he was 72 or something low 70s in shadow form. So I say just make it a little CC or something.
    In the depths of a mind insane,
    fantasy and reality are the same

Could atleast make Faction Champion's not immune to it.

Mind control is far from a reliable cc, far to even be counted on.

I doubt it will ever get some change to make it more usefull. I am not asking for something overpower, but a 10 sec (pvp)/40 sec (pve) cc would be nice.

used mc in TBC pretty much on arena but not wotlk

Quote Originally Posted by Aniria22
    too OP. Really? if it happens it should not be allowed in arena and MC is not Useless. Insanity>Trinket>30 seconds later>Insanity GG you get an i win button becuase if you insanity the healer the Dps are fucked.

i agree with the above a reduce talent would be better and be balanced.
    What? You could say the exact same thing about any CC. "Sheep>Trinket>0 seconds later sheep again GG you get an iwin button because if you sheep the healer the dps are fucked"

A 6 second CC(everything is 6 seconds in arena) has never been an iwin button so far and everyone has them. The random damage done by the healer in 6 seconds does not make this OP on a 30 second CD. Sheep>Fireball>Sheep gives you more CC and more damage done to the other team. If the dps are completely screwed because their healer got CC'd for 6 seconds then something is wrong.
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

15+ Year Old Account

Maybe they should change Mind Control
    Or maybe they shouldn't.

Atleast let others use attacks from the spec of the MC'd one though.

Fun spell for me.
    Use it if you can, because it brings a lot of fun. And nice dps btw.
    But you can`t really rely on that spell. Don`t count it in a strategy.

What? You could say the exact same thing about any CC. "Sheep>Trinket>0 seconds later sheep again GG you get an iwin button because if you sheep the healer the dps are fucked"

A 6 second CC(everything is 6 seconds in arena) has never been an iwin button so far and everyone has them. The random damage done by the healer in 6 seconds does not make this OP on a 30 second CD. Sheep>Fireball>Sheep gives you more CC and more damage done to the other team. If the dps are completely screwed because their healer got CC'd for 6 seconds then something is wrong.
    There is a slight caveat in using sheep. Applying the same logic, your sugestion could be half balanced if instead of casting random spells agains random party members, the player would cast random spells against the opposite team.

Anyway, the problem of MC as it stands is that it has to be unreliable, otherwise is bound to be too powerful. Nice to buff opposite faction players though.

No, its completely different, a CC in a 3 vs 3 turns it into a 3 vs 2, but a insanity debuff turns it into a 4 vs 2, the whole concept is cool, but having an enemy stand still and having it help you are two different things. Not to mention that you used sheep in the example, sheeps heals the target, so it has a big handicap.

I always disliked the "you lose control of your character" part of mindcontrol. Mindcontrol could be much more fun.
    How about something like this:

Mind Control:
    30s-1 min cooldown
    4s casttime (up from 3s, maybe 1s reduction for shadows)
    Clears all negative Debuffs from your enemy target, heals him to up to 50% of his max HP and makes him fight for you for 10s. The priests and the controlled persons damage and healing is reduced by 50% for the duration of the spell.
    Damaging the controlled target for more than 10% of his max HP can break the spell.
    The priest can use 2-3 skills of the controlled target with the pet bar, depending on his class. (nothing too powerful)
    Example:
    Warrior: Harmstring, Heroic Strike,
    Rogue: Kick, Sinister Strike
    Mage: Frostbolt, Cone of Cold
    Druid: Rejuvenation, Moonfire,
    etc

Probably way too complicated for them to make but it would be fun ^^

Re-design MC to make the target your pet. You will get a little action bar with the five first thing's your target got on the main action bar to use.

Or make you become the target. I.E: MC on a mage and you get to play as that char with your own keybinds on his action bars
    I registered on MMO-Champion and all I got was this lousy signature.

I'm a cynic. Deal with it!

MC is useful for throwing people off of LM, and other cliffs in BGs.

I have used it in arenas to get my shadow school locked instead of holy...

but as far as any real application (ie insanity, 6sec pet, etc), the devs have pretty much said they can't "buff" it w/o screwing w/ w/e balance they are trying to accomplish in PvP.
    IMO... let me have shackle as a root on all mobs, including other players. It would be nice to have something repeatable to keep the melee at bay.

I use Mindcontroll in 2's allot as a form of CC and walking healers out of LOS. Also I MC warrior who baldestorm and move them into their healers.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".