Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: HL spam Vs. FL spam

Quote Originally Posted by Masterpd85
    there's more to it than just that. Any hardcore healer will tell you that healing is really a 6th sense when it comes to knowing what and when to heal. Yes paladins dont really have a set spell to buff up (now we do...kinda) or the ability to cast single and multi-target heals but we do have some basic, straight forward GC spells.

Personally I have always loved FoL and with the right set up it is very effective. I usually do 45% FoL, 38% HL, 15% HS, and 2% HoTs. On paper (recount) I am the only holy pally in my guild who does this (there is another now but he varries from time to time) and the results show that my approach is most effective in healing done, HPS, least overhealing, and most mana gained.

Before the nerf I can recall gaining over 60k mana w/o ever using DP and 80k with DP
    the new changes to beacon are fun. in hard mode fights, it is hard to top me in effective heals, but if you are a pally healer worried about effective healing, hps, least overhealing, and most mana gained, then you are a pally that has dead tanks unless the other healers in guild cover for you.

as a pally healer, you should always be top in activity, always. if tank is 100%, but in combat, u are casting some kind of heal that will him him (usually a beacon and flash on raid, or hl if raid is taking big damage.) if u run 4 pallies in a 25 man, then maybe you can raid heal and act like a raid healer casting after damage. but pallies r best tank healers because they can overheal and not go oom.

HL spam when needed, FL when not.

Or just look at the comment from Ghostcrawler on tank balance and encounter design:

"Since we like boss fights to last around say 5 min, because that just feels good, and the boss misses you more often, that means when he does hit he has to hit really, really hard or you'll never really be in danger and the fight will be trivial. This however makes the fights feel really RNG and places the risk of dying on every boss hit (or at least every second hit)."

FoL is working for you because you're running with 7 healers. Try running with 5 and you'll have a slightly more interesting experience.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by darthceltic
    the new changes to beacon are fun. in hard mode fights, it is hard to top me in effective heals, but if you are a pally healer worried about effective healing, hps, least overhealing, and most mana gained, then you are a pally that has dead tanks unless the other healers in guild cover for you.
    oh I agree 100%. I personally never look at recount unless its a wipe and the first thing I do is check the death chart and see which tank did not receive healing (and for how long) then I check the healers assigned to tanks and see who and what they were healing and for how much. If I see a tank healer doing less than 50% on their target I will start questioning.

for me, I was just explaining what my choice of healing looks like on paper to give a more concrete view for anyone who preaches HL spamming

Quote Originally Posted by Namuel
    I am a holy paladin currently pushing end game content
    If you aren't, don't say you are.

Gear/gem for HL spam. Anyone who tells you differently is 1) in Ensidia and doing some really weird shit anyhow 2) is getting carried by other healers / not playing the class to its full potential or 3) isn't in a raiding guild and can get by with doing anything they want.

Apokteino
    Uprising

as a pally healer, you should always be top in activity, always. if tank is 100%, but in combat, u are casting some kind of heal that will him him (usually a beacon and flash on raid, or hl if raid is taking big damage.) if u run 4 pallies in a 25 man, then maybe you can raid heal and act like a raid healer casting after damage. but pallies r best tank healers because they can overheal and not go oom.
    According World of Logs, our druid has always 110-120% activity, cant get over that myself. Im bad?

what ive been doing for the last little bit is carrying multiple librams and have them on my bars. so mid fight i anticipate damage ( it is a scripted fight after all) and adjust librams according to maximize hps/mana consumption. heres what i use.

1: i always start with the deadly ( working on relentless one atm ) libram, gives something like 360 more sp to your flash heals, its MUST.
    2: i have the old emblem of heroism libram the reduce mana cost of holy light one, think its like 136 or something. this libram is soooo handy. fights like the new voa boss suits this libram perfect, i my self am getting over 7k hps while maintaining mana pool with this libram, just time your divine pleas carefull.
    3: final one i carry is the increase spellpower to holy light, i actually cant remeber where i got this one, but its needed in fights where mana isnt going to be an issue (short fights with burst but lots of regen time) i find myself using this one in the PvP fight in TotC.

Switching librams wastes a GCD and people can die. When you're not overhealing content (i.e. more than 5 healers for many encounters), you will find more reason to use HL. Generally having fewer holy paladins in a raid will allow you to improve your output as well. While you are not generally required to spam HL, you should build your gear set (as many others have recommended) to be able to do so. Encounters like heroic Anub'arak (in 10-man, with 2 healers) or I Chose You Steelbreaker (25-man) both require HL spam in their final phase, and you need to be able to do so or your tank will die. For most fights, it's not a question of what to spam, but which spell will suffice to heal through the damage that you can expect to come in.

yup, in 10 man heroic anub last night i flashed all the way till he was 30%, then i spammed hl, ended with 8.2k hps effective. u need to be able to spam hl when u have too.

It's all about situation and the overall "feeling" of the boss.

In some fights I just spam FoL, then in others HL for some seconds and then regen mana by popping cooldowns and spamming FoL. I'll use Libram of Renewal, because it is best for many encounters. Using FoL Libram in certain bosses/heroics, but that small extra SP to FoL isn't that much of extra when raid takes continously damage.

The way to get most HPS comes just by playing and trying new tricks (using cooldowns differently) on farm bosses. As stated, HL spam is (sadly) the way to go.

Obviously HL spam isnt mana efficent but can be good for the end phases of a boss when the tank takes an assload of dmg. On the other hand FL spam cost almost no mana and when u have crit rating out the ass it's not bad!!!........so a good thing to try just spam FL and throw in a holy shock or holy light when needed. This is what I usally do in totc and uld......Holy shock is great with t8set bonus and when it crits like 10 k!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps

why would people still have t8 after all this time?

i think you need to re-read my post its not hard wasting a gcd on a scripted fight. xt- oh no tantrum soon, swap to holy light libram, 10 holy lights later 1300 mana saved.

Or just gear/gem properly and use HL all the way through XT

Because we aren't all GMs of a guild with "loot council" so we can directly loot every upgrade to ourselves, with members that are stupid enough to stick around and endure it?

you can have your i232 T9. i'll save my emblems for something worthwhile

i''m full t9 245. majority of my guild is, and we can only kill first boss in heroic 25. if u clear all of 25 toc every week reg, since it came out, and all of 10, and u do heroics every day, u should have enough tokens and badges to have at least 3 tier now, maybe 2 if unlucky. it's so easy to gear up with the way they did the tokens where u choose what tier piece u want. not to mention free loot from voa.

we use epgp, not loot council.

now, if you are in a guild that cant clear 10 and 25 regular toc each week.... i am sorry cuz regular modes are so, so easy.

i''m full t9 245. majority of my guild is, and we can only kill first boss in heroic 25. if u clear all of 25 toc every week reg, since it came out, and all of 10, and u do heroics every day, u should have enough tokens and badges to have at least 3 tier now, maybe 2 if unlucky. it's so easy to gear up with the way they did the tokens where u choose what tier piece u want. not to mention free loot from voa.

we use epgp, not loot council.

now, if you are in a guild that cant clear 10 and 25 regular toc each week.... i am sorry cuz regular modes are so, so easy.
    So basically what you're saying is anything that your guild can clear is so, so easy. I'm sure people in guilds that clear heroic 25 every week think it's easy too and are sorry that you're in such a bad guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinshiva
    The fact remains that you FUCKING FAIL.

It is interesting, Darthceltic, that upon inspection you only have 3 pieces of T9, and most of the officers in your guild have 1-3 pieces as well. Please explain where all the missing ilvl245 tier gear is.