ArP good for Ret Pally in PvP?

quick question should i be getting ArP peices for my pvp off set gear, i.e -neck,ring or just crit off sets

Re: ArP good for Ret Pally in PvP?

No. Get hit off pieces, you'll need them once you pick up full resil gear. Armor pen is terrible for ret paladins, because it only affects white swings, Crusader strike and Divine Storm. Judgements, Exorcism, and all seal procs are holy damage and thus unaffected by armor pen.

k thx

Quote Originally Posted by tjanson
    No. Get hit off pieces, you'll need them once you pick up full resil gear. Armor pen is terrible for ret paladins, because it only affects white swings, Crusader strike and Divine Storm. Judgements, Exorcism, and all seal procs are holy damage and thus unaffected by armor pen.
    Don't forget consecration.

All in all, ArPen affects roughly 40% of our damage. Its terribad. Avoid it at all costs.

I wish they had some kinda penetration for us. Just flat out dmg. Just get the 5% hit and gem STR or whatever to match your meta.

I agree there, spell pen would be useless too i assume, considering holy has no resistance currently?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Denomicon
    I agree there, spell pen would be useless too i assume, considering holy has no resistance currently?
    There IS Holy Resistance, but it only comes in the forum of spells cast by enemy NPCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    There IS Holy Resistance, but it only comes in the forum of spells cast by enemy NPCs.
    there are pots that absorb holy damage too, but yeah, even if they rolled it all in one, it would still be just as bad.

They should make one of our more bland talents, maybe Swift Retribution, also have something else on it that converts a % of armor pen to an actual useful stat for ret paladins. Obviously it couldn't be too much or it would be imbalanced, but maybe 10/20/30% of armor pen could be turned into crit as well with the talent. That way you get the armor pen that only affects around 40% of our DPS, but you also get a little extra crit as well.

So for example something with 50 armor pen would give us the armor reduction, and also another 15 crit rating. That should almost balance out the fact we benefit so much less from armor pen than other classes like warriors or rogues who use it on almost every attack. Really armor pen and haste are horrible for ret paladins and that is one reason I think it's hard to balance their DPs as well, you have two melee stats which suck for ret paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathleech
    They should make one of our more bland talents, maybe Swift Retribution, also have something else on it that converts a % of armor pen to an actual useful stat for ret paladins.
    Or, they could just not do dumb sh!t like put a ton of it on the t9 chest piece... >.>
    I quit the game, and this happens:
    "You can now mount while under the skeleton effect of the Noggenfogger Elixir!"
    Are you effing kidding me?!?!
    Remember 3.0.......

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonen
    Or, they could just not do dumb sh!t like put a ton of it on the t9 chest piece... >.>
    who the hell use that.. even if it look great
    the new reforge system is kinda needed now..
    not when they are gonna remove ArP

BTW ArP + Hotfix = suck even more then before (if thats even possible)

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora
    who the hell use that.. even if it look great
    the new reforge system is kinda needed now..
    not when they are gonna remove ArP

BTW ArP + Hotfix = suck even more then before (if thats even possible)
    It will either be tied with Haste or drop under it again.

arp = bad
    str = good

if u want it go feral drood mm hunter or arms warr

besides its gonna be removed in cataclysm so /care

What also pisses me off is that ArPen is on almost every non set drop from ToC. If it's not ArPen, it's littered with hit, or both. I have an insane amount of hit these days because it's on everything.