Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Auction House Guide - Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by rambaral
    There Boub, that's your next guide. "How to get stuff cheap or free without making these humps rich"
    Lol, well for that guide instead of buying gems on the AH buy them with honor and get friends to cut them. Same thing with enchanting, i gather all my greens from my bank get a friend to DE and enchant my stuff. For meta gems get the raw gem(its cheaper uncut most of the time) and get another friend to cut it. If you dont have any friends then LF JC and Enchanter on trade and pay them 20g and you still save alot of money. AS for flask well i have an alt that does herbs and again i get a friend to make me the flasks and dont have to pay 50g per flasks in AH
    "Remember, There's no such thing as a stupid question until you ask it"

* Run Minor Inscription Research and Northrend Inscription Research daily. (24 Hours Cooldown)
    20 Hours actually, yes I'm nitpicky

Also:
    Note: DO NOT sell any of the glyph you will craft during your leveling, just keep them for later
    Any specific reason for this?

Very nice guide Boub =)

Quote Originally Posted by Xacez
    Note: DO NOT sell any of the glyph you will craft during your leveling, just keep them for later
    Also:Any specific reason for this?
    Probably because its easier to fix with bank alts and addons if you don't have anything on the ah.

While im not sure about the inscription stuff, the enchanting/leatherworking guides posted the other day would make very little money on my server, since borean leather goes for like 2-3 times as much as Boub sais it does on his. My server is pretty small But I would assume these guides work great on larger servers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Lots of market for this.
    And yeah, there's people selling stuff for 30s, or 25g, the prices vary a lot, and there are a LOT of different glyphs out there.

The bulk mail you receive back is a real problem.

I wish glyphs sold for this much on my server. One or two sell for 15g, but about 90% sell for 3g max.

And yet, lichbloom is about 20-30g a stack.

I'm going to have to check the other guides, but even on what I think is still a relatively large server, the raw mats are nearly always costlier than the crafted item.

And I just checked out the other guide.

Yeah...

Borean leather sells for about 10g on my server.

Quote Originally Posted by VonGimli
    While im not sure about the inscription stuff, the enchanting/leatherworking guides posted the other day would make very little money on my server, since borean leather goes for like 2-3 times as much as Boub sais it does on his. My server is pretty small But I would assume these guides work great on larger servers.
    Actually on a small server where competition is limited you could make a killing on inscription. As long as you server has a few large herb farmers you are in good shape. Figure out the approximate worth of ink of the sea and snowfall ink on your server and establish a threshold price for herbs (formulas here). If you can consistently find herbs below those threshold prices then you can make money with inscription.
    Fierydemise-ShaowCraft Engine Guy
    Rogue Chat-Blogging about Rogue PvE and Theorycrafting (Twitter)
    Rogue IRC: #Ravenholdt on Quakenet

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Let's say that you buy a stack of Adder's Tongue / Lichbloom / Icethorn for 15 gold,
    For all 3 or just 15 for one stack? Be precise here Boubouille
    I wanna go back to my trainer and learn a new spell in the next expansion! And we all need to be able to fly from day 1 ! (And fly over the Exodar and Silvermoon on our own mounts!)

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Pumps
    For all 3 or just 15 for one stack? Be precise here Boubouille
    / generally means "or", so 15g for a stack of one of those.

Don't only post 3 at a time - if you do that you'll have to restock like crazy. Post at least 10 if you don't want to be refilling your auctions every hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorque
    You won't get as many inks out of it, but if mats on your server are high priced (as they are on mine) you can usually nab Goldclover, Tiger Lily and Deadnettle fairly cheap.
    I never use the higher priced herbs on my server. The increased amount of pigment isn't really worth the greatly increased price since things like Icethorn are pretty high demand for raiding consumables. I use mainly Tiger Lilies, since they're cheap and usually well-stocked on the AH. I also pick up Deadnettle and Fire Leaf when I can (they aren't really useful for alchemy, but tend to be more uncommon) but I tend to avoid Goldclover.

From milling Tiger Lily, I earn back almost exactly what I spent on them just from selling the Snowfall Ink, so the Ink of the Sea I get is pure profit. I could be earning tons of gold just changing Tiger Lilies into inks, but I'm greedy so I go the extra step to make the glyphs too! ;D

Nice guide, but let's discuss the competition you will find on most servers and why the prices are in the toilet on most servers. Carpet bombing will work when I want to eliminate anyone applying this guide, because to be a glyph seller you have to have a strong will. If you're getting into inscription because you read about it here, then good luck to you. The majority of Inscription pros have been doing it since patch 3.0, and if we're still here that should tell you that we aren't going anywhere and have the bankrolls to bankrupt any newbie sellers that think there's a gold mine here.

90%-99% of the glyphs you post will be undercut by others within 1-2 hours of posting. That's a fact. You will need to repost and watch your competition at all hours on high pop servers. There are no-lifers and AH campers out there that are going to have you on their friend's lists and once they see you log off, you'll be getting 100% of those glyphs back in the mail. It's a constant game of leap-frog and will probably drive 95% of you out of it within the first week. Additionally, you won't be competitive with glyphs until you have learned almost every single discoverable glyph. This takes 3 months of daily research to complete and you're going to have heavy competition on every single one you get.

Undercutting by 10s or more makes no sense. Undercut by 1c. That's it. Never any more than 1c or you're going to destroy the pricing for everyone. Of course, that's if you're interested in good profits. Morons that undercut in larger increments for no reason are people I like to make squirm. I'll gladly take all glyph prices to 50s when I see people doing this repeatedly, and I'll keep it there for a month. Been there, done that, got the in-game hate mails. I don't need the money, I just like the action. It's not real world money and ultimately there's nothing that says this is against the rules to do so.

With the addition of this guide, I also see Snowfall inks plummeting in value because there will be a glut on the market. Can I ask all of you that choose to do this to please post ALL snowfalls at one time? Don't onesy, twosy them, get them all up there and remember to cancel and repost when they get undercut. I need about 500 of them for a project I'm working on so chop-chop.

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille

Let's make some Glyphs!
    Selling Glyphs is really hard and will require you to do a lot of research to find the most valua.... No, just kidding, you just sell all of them. Trying to figure out what glyph is worth crafting or not is just a waste of time because the glyph market is always moving and ALL glyphs will sell, no matter how bad they are.
    Haha thanks for the laugh

Hehe I feel bad about all the hate you're going to get from these guides but whatever. You're doing a good thing here. Thanks for all your time and investment Bou.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettj
    Don't only post 3 at a time - if you do that you'll have to restock like crazy. Post at least 10 if you don't want to be refilling your auctions every hour.
    They just don't sell that fast on my server, unfortunately... and there's always someone waiting to undercut you. I get better value from posting small amounts every time and saving on my auction fees - and my time retrieving each glyph and reposting.

I don't see how you can actually suggest people to use QA2 at all. It's buggy as hell and requires you to disable auctioneer or else the scan will take an eternity and in worst case you'll get a DC. It also takes stupid amounts of time to post (last time I tried it took about 15 minutes and by that point all of my glyphs were undercut again). It's a lot easier using the auctioneer batch post and undercut by 1% instead. In addition to that you are giving people advice on how to work a dying market. People will only get glyphs 2 or 3 times then they'll stick with them unless there's a huge change in a patch and this affects the prices a lot. Most glyphs are way bellow 10g and are barely worth the time spent crafting them and posting as you will only sell a few every day.

I can't belive you're actually telling people to get into a market in such a state as this one.

To my surprise, i can be of some help here.
    The addon you want (i have a big smile when i imagine you thinking "how can i lived without this one ?") to buy massive amount of items is BuyEmAll.

Why is it so profitable to sell Glyphs? It's easy, on most servers it won't cost you anything to craft them ... Let's say that you buy a stack of Adder's Tongue / Lichbloom / Icethorn for 15 gold, you will get an average of 12 Azure Pigment and 4 Icy Pigment out of each stack. That's 2 x Snowfall Ink and 6 x Ink of the Sea ...
    How do you figure in the 2x Snowfall Ink? 50% chance of Icy Pigment per mill x 4 mills = 2 Icy Pigment, or 1 Snowfall Ink. That's significantly different from what you stated.
    Mill data on Inscription blogs has shown that the "1-4x" on Icy Pigment vastly favors the 1x Icy Pigment end of the spectrum. I forget where I originally saw the data, but it was quite conclusive that one should expect nowhere near 2 Snowfall Ink per stack.

For people complaining about the herb pricings;
    General rule of thumb for any type of marketing that uses resources is the fact that if the raw mats increase in price, so will the result.

So it doesn't matter if on server x a stack of herb x goes for 10,20 or 30g since the glyphs should in general scale up to the same lvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte
    For people complaining about the herb pricings;
    General rule of thumb for any type of marketing that uses resources is the fact that if the raw mats increase in price, so will the result.

So it doesn't matter if on server x a stack of herb x goes for 10,20 or 30g since the glyphs should in general scale up to the same lvl.
    Well that is assuming certain goblins on your server aren't reading this same information and stockpiling all the mats on the ah to push mat prices up while they push product prices down. I do know of many goblins on certain servers that could do this type of tactic for a month or more

Needless to say good luck to those just starting out. The status quo are not going to make your life easy for a long time.