Thread: Block Rating

Block Rating

Now, this isn't a mitigation versus avoidance thread...I just have to ask a question.

What the hell happened to Block Rating?

I really haven't seen it on any gear in my upgrade list...and, well...how the hell am I supposed to be unhittable if I can't get any block rating? =/

I realize Unhittable isn't as important as it once was, because it certainly isn't - but it's still a nice thing to have.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

Re: Block Rating

Partly because block as a mechanic is in a weird place balance wise. They cant make it scale as well as we would like, cause it would make Pallys, and to a lesser extent Warriors much better tanks than druids and DKs. So I think the devs pushed more of the higher end gear towards stats that can be easier balanced between the 4 tanks.

Also, its not that hard to stay unhittable, especially after raid buffs. 50% combined dodge/parry is pretty easy to hit, especially with the Libram of Valiance.

You're complaining about block rating not being on paladin gearz?
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Hohenhe%C3%ADm
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Caim
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottK15
    skill>penis/vag

Quote Originally Posted by Horn
    You're complaining about block rating not being on paladin gearz?
    Yes, I am. I'm assuming you're not into ToC yet.

Quote Originally Posted by iootnega
    Partly because block as a mechanic is in a weird place balance wise. They cant make it scale as well as we would like, cause it would make Pallys, and to a lesser extent Warriors much better tanks than druids and DKs. So I think the devs pushed more of the higher end gear towards stats that can be easier balanced between the 4 tanks.

Also, its not that hard to stay unhittable, especially after raid buffs. 50% combined dodge/parry is pretty easy to hit, especially with the Libram of Valiance.
    It's not incredibly hard, but much harder than just grabbing a piece of block rating gear. I just don't get why not put any of it on =P

You get 30% from holy shield and another 30% from redoubt procs. If you have basic 540 defence and 5% extra parry and dodge from talents you have:

10% miss.
    10% parry.
    10% dodge.
    10% block.
    30-60% extra block at all times.

You will be blocking almost every attack already and that is at the worst possible gear level with no extra avoidance on anything.

The reason you don't see block rating on most gear is that it is a pretty terrible stat for anything other than trash tanking. Once your gear is anyway decent, i.e. low level epic block rating on gear would be totally wasted for a paladin. It does provide some benefit for a warrior but the benefit is pretty marginal.

So to sum up, the reason you don't see it on good gear is because by the time you get to wearing good gear no plate tank wants it.

If you do however want it here is a link to all the WotLK gear with block rating on it that is usable by paladins:
    http://www.wowhead.com/?items=4&filt...rs=1:1;crv=0:0

huh according to your list there absolutely no gear since ulduar has block rating...didnt know that
    Have an iPhone? Want to keep up to date with the latest iPhone news? Check out theiphonespot.net

Quote Originally Posted by Megamoney
    huh according to your list there absolutely no gear since ulduar has block rating...didnt know that
    Wowhead doesn't seem to be fully updated for the ToC gear. It is possible there is some that isn't listed there. On the other hand I am pretty sure none of the T9 sets have any and other than that it makes little sense to put any on anything other than shields or the poor DK tanks get left out.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Skulver
    You get 30% from holy shield and another 30% from redoubt procs. If you have basic 540 defence and 5% extra parry and dodge from talents you have:

10% miss.
    10% parry.
    10% dodge.
    10% block.
    30-60% extra block at all times.
    Actually no. Not really anyway, you're a bit off on your calculations. It would be 15% dodge and roughly 0.4% more on all your chances.
    But I'll give you an idea based on my character's stats, so we can look at a fully configured situation.

Def R: 733
    Dodge R: 652 (with Libram)
    Parry R: 438
    Agility: 343 (with SoE and Kings)

You have, unmodified by Diminishing Returns, 30% Block from HS, 5% dodge from Anticipation, 5% Parry from Deflection. You do *not* add Redoubt, since it procs only from direct hits. If you're block capped, you will never receive such a hit, and so Redoubt will never proc (saved stunned situations, but that's a different thing).
    You also add your base chance to Dodge and what comes from base agility, both are class based and untouched by DRs. To make it simple, we'll assume the sum of these 2 is 5% (it's slightly more, but not much).

We get (mind it, *after* diminishing returns):
    9.49% miss
    31.36% dodge
    17.14% parry

Which configures a 57.98% avoidance situation. Do my chance seem low? Check the Diminishing Returns to discover yours!
    I'm not kidding on this last point, my avoidance looks a LOT higher if you just look at the character sheet (totaling 10% more). But you must consider how DRs cut into your ratings.

Add to that the Block chance. It's 5% base block, plus 5.96 from defense, which (this is important) is *not* subjected to DRs, plus 30% from HS. Makes a 40.95% chance. Add to that my 43 block rating (T8 head) and you get a total of 43.58%.

The grand total becomes 101.56%. Yes, I'm below the Block cap. I have a serious bet that most people are and don't realize it until they get their hands on the DR formula. I'm not worried in my case because Mongoose alone is enough to push me over the Block cap, but I suggest everyone to check out their effective values post-DR, especially since the ratings changed dramatically after 3.2, Dodge and Agility on top of them.

To answer directly the OP question: Block Rating is a waste of item points. You can, and you will while you progress on TotC gear, get Block Capped without needing it. On this side, Defense is your best friends. Keeping some defense enchants (namely chest and shield, which are the best itempoints-wise) and some def/sta gems will help you stay at the cap once you've dropped your last points of Block Rating.
    As you've seen in my case, I would be, changing T8 head, something around 3% under the block cap. However that gets greatly compensated by defense (which also affects Block) and TotC gear has LOADS of it. As last thing, if you find yourself at like, 101% avoidance versus a 102.4% cap... don't get scared. Crushing Blows aren't in the game anymore (for raids), and a direct hit is basically 2k extra damage when compared to a blocked it. So don't forsake the block cap, but don't cry over it either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Also, if you're a paladin (as opposed to a warrior) there is a chance taking that minor 2k extra damage will end up proccing redoubt and making sure you are definitely block capped anyways.

You do spec into that for a reason.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry
    Also, if you're a paladin (as opposed to a warrior) there is a chance taking that minor 2k extra damage will end up proccing redoubt and making sure you are definitely block capped anyways.

WTT Redoubt for warriors' 5% more block chance :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arel
    WTT Redoubt for warriors' 5% more block chance :P
    Don't need 5% block.

I'd rather Holy Shield + Redoubt do something like critical block :>

I lol at your avoidance worries.

Simmer down.

Be happy, don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry

Because the 30% extra SBV isn't very good by itself without the proc?? [Redoubt]

Quote Originally Posted by Adamson
    I lol at your avoidance worries.

Simmer down.

Be happy, don't worry.
    Adam, come on. Get your quote straight.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Arel
    Actually no. Not really anyway, you're a bit off on your calculations. It would be 15% dodge and roughly 0.4% more on all your chances.
    But I'll give you an idea based on my character's stats, so we can look at a fully configured situation.

Def R: 733
    Dodge R: 652 (with Libram)
    Parry R: 438
    Agility: 343 (with SoE and Kings)

You have, unmodified by Diminishing Returns, 30% Block from HS, 5% dodge from Anticipation, 5% Parry from Deflection. You do *not* add Redoubt, since it procs only from direct hits. If you're block capped, you will never receive such a hit, and so Redoubt will never proc (saved stunned situations, but that's a different thing).
    You also add your base chance to Dodge and what comes from base agility, both are class based and untouched by DRs. To make it simple, we'll assume the sum of these 2 is 5% (it's slightly more, but not much).

We get (mind it, *after* diminishing returns):
    9.49% miss
    31.36% dodge
    17.14% parry

Which configures a 57.98% avoidance situation. Do my chance seem low? Check the Diminishing Returns to discover yours!
    I'm not kidding on this last point, my avoidance looks a LOT higher if you just look at the character sheet (totaling 10% more). But you must consider how DRs cut into your ratings.

Add to that the Block chance. It's 5% base block, plus 5.96 from defense, which (this is important) is *not* subjected to DRs, plus 30% from HS. Makes a 40.95% chance. Add to that my 43 block rating (T8 head) and you get a total of 43.58%.

The grand total becomes 101.56%. Yes, I'm below the Block cap. I have a serious bet that most people are and don't realize it until they get their hands on the DR formula. I'm not worried in my case because Mongoose alone is enough to push me over the Block cap, but I suggest everyone to check out their effective values post-DR, especially since the ratings changed dramatically after 3.2, Dodge and Agility on top of them.

To answer directly the OP question: Block Rating is a waste of item points. You can, and you will while you progress on TotC gear, get Block Capped without needing it. On this side, Defense is your best friends. Keeping some defense enchants (namely chest and shield, which are the best itempoints-wise) and some def/sta gems will help you stay at the cap once you've dropped your last points of Block Rating.
    As you've seen in my case, I would be, changing T8 head, something around 3% under the block cap. However that gets greatly compensated by defense (which also affects Block) and TotC gear has LOADS of it. As last thing, if you find yourself at like, 101% avoidance versus a 102.4% cap... don't get scared. Crushing Blows aren't in the game anymore (for raids), and a direct hit is basically 2k extra damage when compared to a blocked it. So don't forsake the block cap, but don't cry over it either.
    I'm not crying over it, but I like to be block capped when soloing things =P

I'm not saying many pieces, or even a few should have had it on it. But one piece wouldn't have hurt, eh?

(and admittedly I don't have much ToC gear yet...I have pretty crappy luck =P So we'll see how it plays out.)

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice
    Because the 30% extra SBV isn't very good by itself without the proc?? [Redoubt]

Adam, come on. Get your quote straight.
    "Ooooh ooh oohh ooh ooh oooOoOoOoOoOOoh"

I have 0 items without block rating and I'm at 101.4% total avoidance + block. This is without kings and stuff like horn of winter, which all increase my dodge rating pushing me easily above the block cap - every point of block rating beyond this point is a wasted stat on gear.

Again, this is with 0 items giving me block rating.