Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: unholy pure avoidence tanking brainstorming

Quote Originally Posted by Stieger23
    That isn't mitigation. It just isn't. That's avoidance.
    OP was talking about avoidance tanking with his unholy build.

Quote Originally Posted by Gape
    OP was talking about avoidance tanking with his unholy build.
    Calling Avoidance gear "mit(-igation) gear" is still wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Baabinator
    A tank with 50k health who takes 30k damage each hit is not preferred over a 40k health tank who takes 20k damage each hit.

Simply because healers have to heal the stamina tank 50% more then the migitation tank.

Ever thought of that?
    This has been gone over to death. In a world where you could gain 1% mitigation against all damage for a sacrifice of 1% of your max health the mitigation option would win out. However, we don't live in that world and in almost all circumstances you have to give up more than 1% of your max health to gain 1% extra mitigation. That is why the model breaks down. Not because mitigation isn't better in an abstract sense but because in the game as it exists you just get more stamina faster than you can get more mitigation.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Stieger23
    That isn't mitigation. It just isn't. That's avoidance.
    yeah, i was going over it quickly, it's wrong, i know. you know what i meant though.

Quote Originally Posted by Emcee
    ummm 35k hp raid buffed is much lower than you'd be getting in high end gear even stacking avoidance. I get to 50k hp as blood and there's no way i'd lose 15K with gems a few different gear choices...

Also, there is a 3.5sec hidden cd between losing counters on bone shield. So that 6.5% and 1.6% of the time you mentioned you could get hit twice in a row, you won't lose stacks. This increases the amount of time bone armor would stay up *shrug*
    i didn't choose "high end gear." i avoided 258+, most of it was 245, some was 226, i just chose the first not so uber item on rawrs list(s) i came across with defense, dodge and parry on. i know it's not a very good test but then again, it's a very good idea either. i, too, was surprised how little hp i had as well. one thing i forgot to mention was that the 35k gear didn't have Flask of Stoneblood, i used Might Defense and an Agility elixir, the 45k did. the stam trinkets weren't the best though, my rawr couldn't find the 192 stam none heroic version so the difference is still ~10k from gems and trinkets.

i know about the CD and i'm not gonna sit here and work out timings on boss swings etc, hence "on average," so you can increase BS uptime by a few seconds sometimes, it's still going to be down at least 30% of the time.

the only situation i see this being viable is against DW bosses which have an extra 20% chance to miss. in the not-so-end-game avoidance gear, we'd be at 94.42% avoidance, which is only 10% away from the magic number, though somehow i think they want to stop that happening again.