might reroll holy pally over disc priest.

Well i am a decent but not great healer and im not really geared or anything but i can hold my own healing tanks and such in most of ulduar and toc. my friend has a new 80 holy pally and i am very interested in the play style as i like disc healing. i have been doing a little research about holy pallies to make him heal better and i have come to the conclusion that i may be very interested in rerolling a holly paladin. i have a few things i may need clarified and i would be very happy if anyone could help me out.

1. i keep seeing something about a fol hot, but i am confused about it. i must be missing some spell or tallent to allow a hot on a fol and will most likely feel dumb when you tell me, but please for god's sake help me out on this one.

2. in a raid situation, on my priest, i can really only constantly keep up 1 tank and only add a few shields out in conjuction with my prayer of mending to help out the rest of the group. now i see that the beacon in conjunction with the glyph of holy light seems to be a huge help to not only being able to keep up 2 tanks, but to be able to give 10% of those heals to help out the raid healers. my question really is am i not seeing how hard it is to heal as a paldin and should just reroll, or am i completely wrong.

im sure in my tired state of laying down with my computer on my stomach and my new kitty by my side with dried out contacts that I have forgot something but any help you have on your (yes YOUR) suggestion of reroll/l2p disc better would be much appreciated.

Re: might reroll holy pally over disc priest.

Quote Originally Posted by paxilpwns
    my question really is am i not seeing how hard it is to heal as a paldin and should just reroll, or am i completely wrong.
    paladin healing is not hard in particular. however - keep in mind, that you as a paladin are doing the most critical and important part of the healing crew - you keep tanks alive, so that the rest can focus on raidhealing. with that beeing said, the moment you let Beacon or even JotP fall off your tanks are done for

its not a hard task. but if you fail you'll wipe - its a non fault-tolerant system

1. i keep seeing something about a fol hot, but i am confused about it. i must be missing some spell or tallent to allow a hot on a fol and will most likely feel dumb when you tell me, but please for god's sake help me out on this one.
    FoL hots if on a SS'ed target, and holy shock Hots if 2T8 and crits :

•Flash of Light HoT on Sacred Shielded targets (even Ret/Prot SS's) improves FoL healing by 100% if the HoT doesn't overheal.
    •Item - Paladin T8 Holy 2P Bonus - Your Holy Shock critical heals now also place a periodic healing effect on the target, healing for 15% of the Holy Shock's heal amount over 9 sec.

2. in a raid situation, on my priest, ....
    Not sure here. Beacon enables you to heal two target, and glyphed, HL splashes. It is a VERY high HPS setup. But spamming it == OOM fast.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...fknight/simple
    Can Heal, Tank, DPS, and go AFK like no other.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat
    Can solo heal two tanks equally.
    depends where. A 30k heal doesnt save from a 40k hit

Point is, if you think paladin is OP, you'll be disappointed. If you like few skills and powerful heals, you'll like it. Utility is good, but utility is better as priest.

The paladin shields (SS and Dsac) aren't reaching the disc's shields by a FAR margin. It is more like a holy priest, without AOE

Paladins have an Inadequate toolbox. IMHO, stay with your priest unless you're healing skills are sub par.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopzz
    Paladins have an Inadequate toolbox.
    This. If you aren't good as a priest, you will be worse as a holy pally.
    Personal site: http://fuh-q.com
    My Kitteh's personal site: http://kitteh.in

10+ Year Old Account

Don't reroll because you think paladins are more powerful. Reroll if you think you'll enjoy the style more.

Paladin heals bring a lot to the table. But don't forget what Disc brings also:

*Static 3% damage reduction to the whole raid that stacks with BoSanc.
    *Powerful shielding, stopping damage before it starts, essentially increasing the effective health of raid members.
    *Divine Aegis absorption
    *High single target HPS
    *Reasonably good raid healing. Amazing if you take pre-shielding raid damage into account.
    *Prayer of Mending
    *Inspiration
    *Mass Dispel
    *High Mana Efficiency
    *A strong external tanking cooldown
    *A miniature single target castable bloodlust on a 1.6 minute cooldown

It's easy to see how green the grass is on the other side, but make sure you look at your own grass before leaving.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kentukyfried
    This. If you aren't good as a priest, you will be worse as a holy pally.
    not entirely true.. but anyway
    for me it will always be Holy/disc Priest > holy paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve
    Don't reroll because you think paladins are more powerful. Reroll if you think you'll enjoy the style more.

Paladin heals bring a lot to the table. But don't forget what Disc brings also:

*Static 3% damage reduction to the whole raid that stacks with BoSanc.
    1*Powerful shielding, stopping damage before it starts, essentially increasing the effective health of raid members.
    2*Divine Aegis absorption
    3*High single target HPS
    *Reasonably good raid healing. Amazing if you take pre-shielding raid damage into account.
    *Prayer of Mending
    *Inspiration
    *Mass Dispel
    *High Mana Efficiency
    4*A strong external tanking cooldown
    *A miniature single target castable bloodlust on a 1.6 minute cooldown

1 Most just consider absorbs as heal since you don't have as much of a healing output, and for all intents preventing the damage for mana is the same as healing it with mana.

2 Again, just more shields to count as healing

3 Paladin can definately out HPS anything single target.

4 Pallies bring a raid-wide 30% damage reduction cooldown, as well as a strong external tank cooldown.

Edit: Typefail

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kairu
    1 Most just consider absorbs as heal since you don't have as much of a healing output, and for all intents preventing the damage for mana is the same as healing it with mana.

2 Again, just more shields to count as healing

3 Paladin can definately out HPS anything single target.

4 Pallies bring a raid-wide 20% damage reduction, as well as a strong external tank cooldown.

Edit: Typefail
    I wasn't trying to compare Disc Priest single target HPS to a paladin's. I know who wins that fight. Nonetheless, it's still very good.

Also no question pallies have a strong external cooldown. What's the 20% static raid damage reduction though? Forgive my ignorance.

I wasn't trying to say those things Disc priests have are better than what pallies have. I know pallies bring a lot to the table. I'm just saying that a lot of people tend to forget some of the things Disc priests bring because they aren't as visble (Renewed Hope, Absorption, etc.), so I thought I'd point them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve
    I wasn't trying to compare Disc Priest single target HPS to a paladin's. I know who wins that fight. Nonetheless, it's still very good.

Also no question pallies have a strong external cooldown. What's the 20% static raid damage reduction though? Forgive my ignorance.

I wasn't trying to say those things Disc priests have are better than what pallies have. I know pallies bring a lot to the table. I'm just saying that a lot of people tend to forget some of the things Disc priests bring because they aren't as visble (Renewed Hope, Absorption, etc.), so I thought I'd point them out.
    Meant 30% on a cooldown, my mistake, i'll edit that in.

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=64205

Apparently its 30... huh...

In conjunction with bubble you don't lose health and it lasts the full duration, for 30% less damage done to the raid for that period of time. It works WONDERS.

Aura mastery as well can be used as a sort of cooldown on resist fights (Heat wave on mimi hard, or frozen blows, etc)

To the OP:

Don't forget that it's not always about HPS (as a disc priest you know this of course) but a big part of disc priests' 'heals' are performed by stopping incoming damage which gives your other healers more breathing room.

Don't always look at how much you can heal for and how quickly, but rather at what healing combinations you can establish... there is synergy with healers just like there is with dps. Sure a holy paladin can simply power through continuous spiky tank damage but there's more or less nothing he/she can do to control the damage that actually comes in - hence why a pally making one or two GCD mistakes in a row can mean a wipe.

It's gonna be a totally different play style - pallies are MUCH more proactive in their healing than disc priests - and I wouldn't make the switch because you hope that you'll be a 'better' healer as a pally. Both are MT healers and both do their job remarkably.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairu
    In conjunction with bubble you don't lose health and it lasts the full duration, for 30% less damage done to the raid for that period of time. It works WONDERS.
    no longer true, it was fixed in 3.2. There is a threshold where it fails, although it depends on the timing and when it comes in. Check EJ, I don't have the exact info.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat
    Pally healing is relitivily simple, 'keep the tanks alive' with tools like beacon, sacred shield and holy light its quite trivial.
    Hardest part will be managing your mana.. and thats also quite easy once you learn specific boss encounters.

To answer your question about FoL. (from the 3.2 patch notes)

• Sacred Shield: When a paladin casts Flash of Light on a target with this buff, they also now place a heal-over-time effect on the target, healing that target for 100% of the Flash of Light amount over 12 seconds.

Also theres currently two ways to build a Holy Paladin:

INT>HASTE>MP5<>CRIT which focuses mostly on solo tank healing and mana regeneration. Sustaining successive holy light casts for 5-6min+. Strongest main tank healer in the game. Can solo heal two tanks equally.

SP>CRIT>HASTE>MP5 which focus mainly on strong flash of light/holy shock casts due to spell power. Also very mana efficient, so not much need for regeneration.
    More of a support healer, can heal spike raid damage quickly while supporting a tank healer such as a disc priest for example, or second FoL paladin.
    Crit sucks in FoL Build, really, dont stack it

Well i am a decent but not great healer and im not really geared or anything but i can hold my own healing tanks and such in most of ulduar and toc. my friend has a new 80 holy pally and i am very interested in the play style as i like disc healing. i have been doing a little research about holy pallies to make him heal better and i have come to the conclusion that i may be very interested in rerolling a holly paladin. i have a few things i may need clarified and i would be very happy if anyone could help me out.

2. in a raid situation, on my priest, i can really only constantly keep up 1 tank and only add a few shields out in conjuction with my prayer of mending to help out the rest of the group. now i see that the beacon in conjunction with the glyph of holy light seems to be a huge help to not only being able to keep up 2 tanks, but to be able to give 10% of those heals to help out the raid healers. my question really is am i not seeing how hard it is to heal as a paldin and should just reroll, or am i completely wrong.

im sure in my tired state of laying down with my computer on my stomach and my new kitty by my side with dried out contacts that I have forgot something but any help you have on your (yes YOUR) suggestion of reroll/l2p disc better would be much appreciated.
    Generally, paxilpwns, I would have to say that maybe you should look at changing your playstyle a little bit as Discipline. The Paladin playstyle seems interesting, but it's not. Really.

And Discipline Priests are stepping down off the pedestal of the "trying to be ultimate tank healers" and acting as support/burst. In 10's, they can hold a tank up through almost anything. Toss out a couple bubbles. But those same bubbles can be an instant "heal" with no cooldown, on people who are about to take burst damage, or those who already have and are in danger of dying.
    8k "heal". Instant. No cooldown.

It's the only support healer that exists, and its role is a little less defined than others, obviously. But there's no flexibility with a Holy Paladin, other than deciding if your target gets a Flash or needs a full on Holy Light, or if you're moving blast out a Holy Shock. : Awesome.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I'd really think twice about rerollingif u know how a priest operates. Coz whatever a pally can do, priests can match it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopzz
    no longer true, it was fixed in 3.2. There is a threshold where it fails, although it depends on the timing and when it comes in. Check EJ, I don't have the exact info.
    I am totally disappointed in DS. Everytime i use it, logs suggest it sucks.
    I thought that 150% of 30k Hp would shield about 45k damage from raid, but it looks about 15k :/

perhaps talented it works better (40%). dunno.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Generally, paxilpwns, I would have to say that maybe you should look at changing your playstyle a little bit as Discipline. The Paladin playstyle seems interesting, but it's not. Really.

And Discipline Priests are stepping down off the pedestal of the "trying to be ultimate tank healers" and acting as support/burst. In 10's, they can hold a tank up through almost anything. Toss out a couple bubbles. But those same bubbles can be an instant "heal" with no cooldown, on people who are about to take burst damage, or those who already have and are in danger of dying.
    8k "heal". Instant. No cooldown.

It's the only support healer that exists, and its role is a little less defined than others, obviously. But there's no flexibility with a Holy Paladin, other than deciding if your target gets a Flash or needs a full on Holy Light, or if you're moving blast out a Holy Shock. : Awesome.
    This. It's always surprising to me how people make Disc out to be a main tank healing spec only, and discount its uses in raid healing. I love pre-shielding the raid before flame jets and watching no damage happen, or the same on oblivion with Kologarn. As a Main tank most of the time, I'm used to anticipating damage, which is a good skill to have on a Disc priest, who needs to try to get bubbles on people who are likely to take damage. When damage becomes too much on a single target, Penance will bring them back up fast.

Basically, Disc isn't a hardcore AoE healer like a resto shaman, or a HoT monster, like a druid, or a Fire Hose, like a Paladin. We are support healers that make the other healers' jobs vastly easier. We can fulfill the roles of main healers, but the way we really shine is in preventing damage, thus increasing survivability and making the healing of bursts that much easier.

Don't do it, its a trick!
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Hohenhe%C3%ADm
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Caim
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottK15
    skill>penis/vag