Looking for a few tips for my shadow gear please

Hello mmo-champion priests, I would like to know what I can do gem-wise, enchant-wise, or gear-wise to improve my shadow priest. I stopped playing a month after 3.1 release and recently came back. My current pve target is ToC 10-man.

Armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...rider&n=Ritzen

All comments are welcome... thanks in advance.

Re: Looking for a few tips for my shadow gear please

Just some basic things that can slightly increase your dps.

Gems
    +12SP/+10 spirit in chest to +23 spellpower
    +12SP/+10 haste in chest to +23 spellpower
    +12SP/+10 spirit in weapon to +23 spellpower
    +12SP/+10 haste in gloves to +23 spellpower
    +12SP/+10 haste in boots to +23 spellpower
    ^^ in regards to gems good work using the epic gems rather than the blue ones.

Enchants
    +10 stats to chest > 250 mana
    +63 spellpower when you get a better wep

Gear
    - Change both trinkets for sure, theres plenty out there like Eye of the Broodmother, Sundial of the Exiled, llustration of the Dragon Soul etc.
    - Maybe aim for a bit more hit, maybe at least 10% and hope you have a draenei.

Talents
    - Spec out of Inner Focus and Psychic Horror and get 2/2 Veiled Shadows

To be honest your pretty good the way you are atm but what i said will help that little extra bit
    Priest - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Weenalol
    Druid - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Weenah
    DK - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Jubei%27Thos&n=Weenalol

15+ Year Old Account

Hit cap for shadow without a draenei present is 290. One more +hit item should put you at cap.

You are SEVERELY over the haste cap. Soft haste cap for priests is 350 (11%). Lower haste, get more crit.

If you are able, I suggest getting rid of the 4-pc T8 bonus and getting the 2-pc T9. That with the 2-pc for T8 makes for a good one-two punch.

That and the above should be useful.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Isn't that only for healers? He is shadow you know..

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by dextermorgan
    Isn't that only for healers? He is shadow you know..
    Haste caps don't go by spec, they go by class. Soft caps are identical for all priest specs. Haste caps are identical for all mage specs, warlock specs, ect. It's the design of the entire class, not the design of one aspect of it.

Shadow is my dualspec. At one point I was over 450 haste, and it was only giving me about 14%, as opposed to the 11% from 100 less haste. When you do the math, you see the diminishing returns are identical.

350/11 = 31.8 haste rating per percentage haste
    100/3 = 33.3 haste rating per percentage haste above the soft cap

Plus it really won't show any difference to your cast times being that high.

The best raid gear thread at www.shadowpriest.com, follow the gem advice at the top of the thread. Basically you gem for the best possible PP, normally that will always be Runed Cardinal Rubies but you will need to use 2 Purified Dreadstones to active your meta and when the socket bonus is +5sp or more you can use Potent Ametrines. In any case, just follow the advice.

Create a spreadsheet and select the highest possible PP set you have access to that gets you hit capped. That shouldn't be an issue with the amount of hit currently on gear, if anything you'll struggle to stay below the hit cap. If you get an item that is an upgrade but puts you way over the hit cap, don't get worried about it. There are items available that are better than Uld gear even if the 90 or so hit on the item didnt exist. Being over the cap isn't ideal but it's preferable when the non hit dps stats on it are superior to what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown
    Haste caps don't go by spec, they go by class. Soft caps are identical for all priest specs. Haste caps are identical for all mage specs, warlock specs, ect. It's the design of the entire class, not the design of one aspect of it.
    No, they aren't. That was wrong. Compare the haste softcap for Disc, which is 11%, to the minimum haste recommended for Holy, which is 12%. For Shadow there are haste 'plateau' points, which serve as soft caps. Those are expressed as the number of GCDs you can activate during a MB cooldown. With no haste you can 3 GCDs. With 9.1% haste you can fit 4 GCDs. With 36.37% haste you can fit in 5 GCDs. Then you also need to consider Mind Flay and how many ticks you can get due to haste. 15% haste means 4.55 GCDs per MB cooldown and a MF tick every .81 seconds. This means you're off by ~.2 seconds. That means you could actually get decent DPS gains up to around 18%.

TL;DR: Haste caps are based on what spells you cast, not what class you are.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    No, they aren't. That was wrong. Compare the haste softcap for Disc, which is 11%, to the minimum haste recommended for Holy, which is 12%. For Shadow there are haste 'plateau' points, which serve as soft caps. Those are expressed as the number of GCDs you can activate during a MB cooldown. With no haste you can 3 GCDs. With 9.1% haste you can fit 4 GCDs. With 36.37% haste you can fit in 5 GCDs. Then you also need to consider Mind Flay and how many ticks you can get due to haste. 15% haste means 4.55 GCDs per MB cooldown and a MF tick every .81 seconds. This means you're off by ~.2 seconds. That means you could actually get decent DPS gains up to around 18%.

TL;DR: Haste caps are based on what spells you cast, not what class you are.
    Oh, sweet, thanks!

I have learned something new today. It was explained to me a bit too vague I suppose.

Just follow the basic rule of,

Spell Power is my GOD (This includes spirit increases)
    Crit is my Best Friend
    Haste is my neighbour, which I'm forced to be nice to and invite to the BBQ each year.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow