Onyxia Whelp AOE Damage

So in my 25 man run of Onyxia today I verified something that I had noticed previously. I'm a shadow priest, and I started mind searing one group of the whelps before both were brough together, and it was hitting for the usual around 1400. When they were brought together and there were twice as many mobs, it started hitting them for around 800. Recount confirmed this. My highest mind sear hit was 1471 and my average was 798. My highest crit was 2206 and my average crit was 1212. This also happened to a rogue in our group, whose fan of knives averaged 400 and had a max of 800. These numbers are all coming from recount.

Even more confusing, a mage who was casting Blizzard, a warlock casting Rain of Fire, and a druid casting Hurricane did not have the same effect, at least according to recount. Is this some sort of stealth nerf done to priest/rogue aoe since it was so strong at one point? Or is it just a random bug?

Post your thoughts. If I figure out how to take/upload screenshots of the recount page I will try to.

Re: Onyxia Whelp AOE Damage

You can only do so much damage at once, this amount is limited.

Like zal said, theres an AoE damage cap to prevent players from killing large groups too quickly.

Since when has the amount of damage you can do at once been limited? I had never heard that before. I guess I would find it odd that a priests AOE does do more damage than that of most other casters, at least enough for the damage to decrease because of the number of mobs. But then the question is why did the rogues go down from 800 to 400, when at 800 it was already near a lot of other aoe dps?

10+ Year Old Account

yes, the amount of dmg you can do with aoe is limited for example lets say your aoe spells hit for 100 each but the max amount of dmg you can do with it is 1000 then after you pass 10 mobs the amount each gets hit for is reduced for example in a group of 20 mobs each mob would be getting hit for 50 instead of 100 which ends up with a total of 1000 dmg regardless of there being more mobs.
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Alright, I looked it up a little bit and discovered this, but my question then is are the aoe caps on fan of knives and mind sear lower than rain of fire, hurricane, and blizzard? Because, for example, from past experience mind sear versus almost every other aoe will deal more damage on 3 mobs (not including the one its channeled on that doesn't take damage). Why then would other aoes such as blizzard, hurricane, and rain of fire be able to do more damage from the aoe cap? that seems to not make sense to me that Mind Sear is superior to other aoes with a few mobs and inferior with many.
    Also for fan of knives, it already does the least amount of damage of any aoe, I guess maybe because it applies poisons (I think) it can be a lot lower? Just curious here.

...Fan of Knives is still one of the best AOE abilities in the game, when properly stacked with cooldowns and good weapon selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Joarrak
    Since when has the amount of damage you can do at once been limited? I had never heard that before. I guess I would find it odd that a priests AOE does do more damage than that of most other casters, at least enough for the damage to decrease because of the number of mobs. But then the question is why did the rogues go down from 800 to 400, when at 800 it was already near a lot of other aoe dps?

Umm it has always been around

the only wotlk examples i can think of the cap being reatched would be on freya trash, plague wing before hiegan, 3rd room of cobstruct wing

not many trash groups have more than 10

and there are 40 whelps

10+ Year Old Account

Its not really an AoE damage cap, but the spells imiting themselves. Rogue and priest AoE went from nonexistent to the most powerful in the game and this brings them back to where they should be. For example say Mind Sear deals 2000dmg to all targets in range over 8 seconds and Rain of Fire deals 4500dmg to all targets in range over 8 seconds. The warlock will deal more AoE damage as the spell itself is more powerful.
    Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Joarrak
    Even more confusing, a mage who was casting Blizzard, a warlock casting Rain of Fire, and a druid casting Hurricane did not have the same effect, at least according to recount. Is this some sort of stealth nerf done to priest/rogue aoe since it was so strong at one point? Or is it just a random bug?
    Just a quick question: Does mind sear take up about 10% of your MAXIMUM mana? If not, your AOE should be weaker.
    Blizzard:http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=42940

That's around 2200-2400 *I forget. im not online atm*. As arcane, I have a MAXIMUM mana *fully 25 man raid buffed* of about 29k. Not to mention as arcane, it's weak as hell anyways.

and as others earlier have said, AOE has a damage cap. Soon it won't have a cap anymore, but when you aoe on more than 10 targets, it's damage will be split and divided. Read the PTRs for more info on that.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Retlol strikes again!

Topping meters since I was active the entire time. No damage cap lately for Seal of Command and Whirlwind procs.

Rogue topping meters this time, died early due to overboard on aggro. WTB Vigilance!

But yes, most classes suffer from the damage cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshy
    Im under the assumption that they forgot shamans existed so they just need to find a few minutes to draw up a few lines but just keep putting it off since they are too busy pretending to nerf paladins.

In any group of mobs, if there's more than XY mobs in the group your aoe damage is diminished.
    This has been in place since before Black Temple iirc.

You're just bad

Quote Originally Posted by Tèmpést
    Retlol strikes again!

Topping meters since I was active the entire time. No damage cap lately for Seal of Command and Whirlwind procs.

ummm... you know that seal of command strikes up to 3 targets, right?

sigh

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/28/2012...ge-is-bad.html

Area-of-Effect Damage Caps: We’ve redesigned the way area damage is capped when hitting many targets. Instead of a hard cap on total damage done, the game now caps the total damage done at a value equal to the damage the spell would do if it hit 10 targets. In other words, if a spell does 1000 damage to each target, it would hit up to 10 targets for 1000 each, but with more than 10 targets, each target would take 1000 damage divided by the number of targets. 20 targets would be hit for 500 damage each in that example.
    I think you're misunderstanding the change (which could certainly be our patch note). What we're doing is making sure that your AE damage will always go up if you increase gear. If you do a fight where you AE a lot (cough Onyxia) you could very well be at the cap already which makes additional gear feel lame. With this change, the cap itself will scale with your damage.

I guess it's a moderate nerf to solo farming but AEs still rock for blasting apart raptors in Stranglethorn.