Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Aura ideas in 4.0

Being bored in between class is usually when I conjure up most of my ability/talent designs. I was thinking of Auras and Aura mastery, and thought of this.

Empower Aura: Learned at level 15. Envokes the power of the Light to sanction your current aura. Refer to individual Auras for Empowerment effect. 1 min cooldown.

Devotion Aura: Increased Armor by X. When Empowered, you absorb up to Y
    Physical damage equal for 10 seconds.

The idea here is that you can negate Physical damage (not based on your Armor type), without it becoming too powerful to be used as a Tanking cooldown.

Retribution Aura: Causes X damage every 4 seconds to all nearby enemies within 5 yards
    while in combat. When Empowered, instantly deals damage equal to 20
    seconds of Retribution Aura to all enemies in 10 yards.

Instead of being based off of being hit, it now pulses like the Shaman’s totem- The empowerment works like an “all target” Holy Wrath without the stun component. This would be subject to the AE target cap in 4.0. Should also note that the aura itself will NOT generate aggro, but when Empowered, it WILL generate aggro.

Concentration Aura: Lose 35% less casting or channeling time when damaged. When
    Empowered, your next spell cast within 10 seconds has its cast time reduced
    by 50%.

This one was tricky, because I still want Aura Mastery to be useful; Thus, making it reduce the cast time instead of granting silence/interrupt was the way to go. If not cast time, maybe Mana cost instead (although that doesn't really fit)?

Resistance Auras: Increases Magical resistance of aura by X. When Empowered, you
    absorb up to Y Magical damage for 10 seconds.

Functions the same as Empowered Devotion, except with Magical damage based on your current aura.

Crusader Aura: Increases Mounted movement speed by 20%. When Empowered, you
    move 20% faster for 15 seconds.

Useful for PvP, or getting back to your target quickly. If too powerful, maybe make it non-cumulative with Hand of Freedom. It should stack with PoJ, though.

Now, this is just a rough idea. Maybe each tree can have a talent that improve certain empowerments (i.e. a talent in Ret that allows Empower Aura's cooldown to be reduced by 30 seconds if used to empower Crusader Aura, etc).

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Aura ideas in 4.0

I feel this is unnecessary as long as we have Aura Mastery. I am however, all for adding some of the effects you suggested onto the already excisting Aura Mastery though.

But as long as we actually have Aura Mastery available I don't think there's place for two cooldowns that modifies our active aura.

Well i like ur idea but it would be a uber-imba buff for any pala, and i'm afraid blizz is not willing to buff pala any+ for sometime xD.
    Anyway, i think they should definetly fuse devotion with retribution aura or with concentration aura, because it's an aura i fell it's really unfitting for any spec atm, unless maybe a prot that would like the little armor and bonus healing from talents, but it's either way it's not that good. Anyway, i'd like to have sanctity aura back, but i guess that's not quite a option atm

Realy well thought out Ronark /clap

but:

1.) i feel that this is too similar to aura mastery.
    2.) i really like your Retribution Aura idea but imagine the rogue/feral QQ. and they'd be right to QQ. if this change were to make it life, it would have to exclude stealthed targets or just don't kick them out of stealth.

edit:
    3.) having all these utility features tied to specific auras could make them very hard to reach. you'd have to spend 2 gcds to get the desired effect. auras should have their own gcd.
    And Christ said to his disciples, "I shall grant you eternal Salvation!"
    The disciples fell to their knees and replied, "Give us kings n00b!".

/signed

I like it.

I like the idea, right now the paladin auras are too boring >

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ascal
    Realy well thought out Ronark /clap

but:

1.) i feel that this is too similar to aura mastery.
    2.) i really like your Retribution Aura idea but imagine the rogue/feral QQ. and they'd be right to QQ. if this change were to make it life, it would have to exclude stealthed targets or just don't kick them out of stealth.

edit:
    3.) having all these utility features tied to specific auras could make them very hard to reach. you'd have to spend 2 gcds to get the desired effect. auras should have their own gcd.
    Yes to 2 and 3.

also: (empowered) ret aura is a bit lackluster.

let's go with 9000 ap for a full buffed level 85 ret paladin(and that's a stretch)

9000*0.3= 2700 sp

assuming the coefficient stays the same: ret aura gains an additional 1 damage per 40.6 spell power. (edit: according to ej: 6.6% of sp)

2700/40.6=~66 (2700*0.066=~178)

let's go with a base damage of 162 for ret aura, that's 228(340) dmg. * 1.5(talent)
    so 342(510) dmg. every 4 seconds.
    the empowered effect would do 1710(2550) dmg. and that's on a 1 minute cooldown.

i hope my math is correct... it's really late here.

edit: coefficient seems to be wrong... somebody got the real one for me?
    edit2: edited values are in brackets. hope those are the right ones.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ascal
    also: (empowered) ret aura is a bit lackluster.

let's go with 9000 ap for a full buffed level 85 ret paladin(and that's a stretch)

9000*0.3= 2700 sp

assuming the coefficent stays the same: ret aura gains an additional 1 damage per 40.6 spell power.

2700/40.6=~66

let's go with a base damage of 162 for ret aura, that's 228 dmg. * 1.5(talent)
    so 342 dmg. every 4 seconds.
    the empowered effect would do 1710 dmg. and that's on a 1 minute cooldown.

i hope my math is correct... it's really late here.
    Its like that way on purpose, because of 1 change:

Sanctified Retribution
    Requires 20 points in Retribution Talents
    Increases the damage caused by and the reduces the time between Retribution Aura ticks by 50%, and all damage caused by friendly targets affected by any of your Auras is increased by 3%.

So 1710*2= 3420, which is almost an instant Consecration (a normal unglyphed Consecration would deal 4648 total damage), except that this burst can also crit. Like all "made up" talents, you can't really do number tweaking.

give mages brilliance aura

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    Its like that way on purpose, because of 1 change:

Sanctified Retribution
    Requires 20 points in Retribution Talents
    Increases the damage caused by and the reduces the time between Retribution Aura ticks by 50%, and all damage caused by friendly targets affected by any of your Auras is increased by 3%.

So 1710*2= 3420, which is almost an instant Consecration (a normal unglyphed Consecration would deal 4648 total damage), except that this burst can also crit. Like all "made up" talents, you can't really do number tweaking.
    ah. that's better. of course i won't start theorycrafting here, just wanted to show the general direction without that, i'd have never known that you plan on changing sanctified retribution

I would honestly like to have auras that have a greater combat effectiveness than what we currently have, rather than temporarily making them have an additional effect as Ronark suggested. (Don't hate me )

Devotion Aura- Increases threat generated by the paladin by 90%, and increases armor to all raid members within 30 yards by X amount.

Concentration Aura- Decreases spell pushback suffered by the paladin by 35%, and increases healing done by the paladin to all raid members within 30 yards by Y%.

Improved Retribution Aura 1/1- Enemy targets within 5 yards of the paladin take X% holy damage every 5 seconds, and increases damage done by all raid members within 30 yards by 3%.

Prismatic Aura- Reduces all spell damage taken by the paladin by 15% and increases spell resistance to all raid members within 30 yards by 130.

Crusader Aura- All raid members within 30 yards of the paladin have their movement speed increased by 15%. In addition, whenever the paladin critically strikes with a melee attack, his attack speed is increased by 20% for X seconds.

That would be my approach anyway, there would be talents/glyphs to further improve them. Keep in mind I would diminish the reliance and damage done by seals when you're looking at this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cetlysm
    wat about lolaura
    deal 10k damage to everyone in the screen, you move 100% faster, cannot be interrupted, absorb all the damage you can think of and magical damage is redirected to your target times 100x
    paladins ish nao op
    Pfft, it would take all that just to make us balanced.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Hohenhe%C3%ADm
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Caim
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottK15
    skill>penis/vag

I am probably never really going to play my paladin again because Mages are hands-down the best (just kidding, I believe in the inherent truth that all classes are created equal), but this is certainly a great idea for paladins. Maybe a bit overpowered, but then again, with all the racial updates, I can see every class getting a major buff just for the sake of major buffs (possibly because pulls will be more realistic, for example: when I pull the leader of the twilight hammer camp, maybe 1 or 2 guards will come to his aid, so I NEED more pewpew?).

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
    -Voltaire

Auras are meant to be passive, but I think they've been overlooked quite a bit as a place where Paladins could game some improvement without becoming overpowered. For one, I think there should be a way to remove Auras from the GCD, but have a limit built in to prevent it.

Switching auras would apply a 6 second debuff to the paladin that would add a 2 second cooldown to Auras the next time they're switched. So you can switch once (off the GCD), then switch again, but switching a third time would require waiting 6 seconds. So you can flip auras quickly, but not repeatedly.

I think the magic resistance auras need to be rolled into one; they are far too situational at the moment. Though that's kind of the point with passive effects, I think it would be nice to see them combined down to one aura that does the work of all three (Shadow, Frost, and Fire).

I'd like to see Paladins gain an extra effect depending on which tree they enter. Similar to Sanctified Retribution (3% damage increase to raid), a Prot talent could allow Devotion Aura to provide health regen, while a Holy talent allows Concentration to provide mana regen. The effect would be based on the player's current numbers ("Increases health regeneration by x%"), rather than a flat amount to keep it fair, and to interplay with any talents or abilities that increase regen already.

Not sure what else.
    - Renowned expert in the field of Paladinery -
    - & Author of -
    The Highly Acclaimed "Reinvention" Threads
    North Lordaeron - Stratholme
    - Angor Coast-

Quote Originally Posted by bluestaff
    give mages brilliance aura
    ^ THIS^

and for the love of god bring the DK aura's back

I really hope they do something with auras in general. They are lackluster atm. In pvp with all the spell pen I havent seen it help me at all.

Wanna make a class defensive..psssh ..Not really helping imo except pve. Maybe Im just that unlucky bastard paladin. (I think I am..losing rolls, Ss aint absorbing....) blah blah

But overall I wanna see actual work done with the class as a whole. I will relearn as I have done since 2.4.

Make the move off the GCD so we can macro it into our auras and you have a deal!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by BDF
    Make the move off the GCD so we can macro it into our auras and you have a deal!
    Auras would have a separate 2 second GCD.

Quote Originally Posted by blu
    ^ THIS^

and for the love of god bring the DK aura's back
    I'd be nice to have buffs like AB, Fort, etc. be Auras as well: At least in Cata they are Immune to dispells.

It's a good, well though out idea. But..

It would make paladins so mandatory for raids, and require them to be stacked (to an extent) for difficult encounters. It would also defeat the purpose of Aura mastery, since this is superior in every way (except the concentration buff it brings. But just roll than in, problem solved).

I'd love it, as a Holy/Ret who has EVERYTHING keybound and loves to squeeze everything he can from his class. I just don't see it happening..

I hate to be the guy that says no, i like the ideas and they're all useful and good for pve IF the game was balanced around pve id be all for it but since blizz trys to balance pvp your basically asking to give pallys Icebound Fortitude, Anti magic shield, Magma totem (you said it yourself) Swiftmend or pretty close, and sprint, a lackluster sprint but the same general idea.

Maybe a long cooldown like 3-5 minutes would make it viable, but there will still be class homogenization bitching.