Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Blood Mage; more "Mage" or "Warlock"?

Well, I've always tried to base my characters around WC2 or WC3 units (at least, my non-main, who I base more around racials). When it comes to the Blood Mage, though, I'm not quite sure.

Obviously, they've all got history as Mages, Flamestrike being a staple of the Blood Mage. However, there are also obvious ties with the Warlock's fel magic, not only in Banish, but the overall color schemes. All Blood Mages, no doubt, began their careers as Mages, but so did most Warlocks, so perhaps the Blood Mage is simply a Pet-less Destro Warlock?

Sure, it's not an overly important topic, but it's at least fun to talk about. Plus, as I said, I like to have characters that translate as pre-WoW units.

Re: Blood Mage; more "Mage" or "Warlock"?

I think the blood mage in warcraft 3 is in the middle of the transition from mage to warlock. They havent yet gotten to the point where they are admiting the source of their power, but they are using fel (or at least a more destructive and corruptive flavor of magic usually associated with fel) magic.
    Orloth SilverEye
    <Demon Hunter Moderator>
    "I am my scars."

Quote Originally Posted by Orloth
    I think the blood mage in warcraft 3 is in the middle of the transition from mage to warlock. They havent yet gotten to the point where they are admiting the source of their power, but they are using fel (or at least a more destructive and corruptive flavor of magic usually associated with fel) magic.
    Yeah, that's what I've always sorta figured, too. They're definitely a hybrid. But for arguments sake, which do you think is more fitting, in terms of game mechanics?

10+ Year Old Account

I would say Mage like in Blood-Mage... :-X

and everybody knows warlocks = Mages with pet... they're just evolutional superior...
    Furthermore, I consider Teldrassil must be destroyed.

I think they're more warlock than mage, but it's a tough call.

They are in between, but you can also say that they are Mages thirsting for blood or are just... Blood Elf Mages?

Quote Originally Posted by Ana
    I would say Mage like in Blood-Mage... :-X

and everybody knows warlocks = Mages with pet... they're just evolutional superior...
    Let me guess, you think Demon Hunters are the same as hunters?

15+ Year Old Account

they are blood elf mages.

Well, any other views on the topic? :P

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by velasius
    Let me guess, you think Demon Hunters are the same as hunters?
    Are demon hunters not hunters? of demons.

Mage has one meaning.. hunter is general.

Hunters hunt..stuff.
    Demon hunters hunt demons.. so yes all demon hunters are hunters but not all hunters are demon hunters.

Well... atleast gameplaywise I'd say that a Destro Warlock is closest to a Blood Mage. Lorewise they are somewhere inbetween.

I'd go with Mage. Sure they had a pet in WCIII, but it was temporary and not in WoW.

Major reason for this:
    • Major spell - Flamestrike
    • Look - The blood mage looked like a standard mage, no skulls, fel energies, demonic pets...
    • Casting animation - The WoW Mage fireball is the closest you will get to the Blood Mage casting animation.

More warlock than mage. Maybe like one of posters said it's between mages and walocks.
    Phoenix reminds pet - Warlock
    Flamestrike reminds Mage
    Banish reminds Warlock
    Drain mana - Warlock again.

its a mage that is between both those classes.
    You can't use this while stunned.

ok it`s not about spells

blood mage is basicaly an *evolved mage*

look at this pattren
    blood mage
    ^
    |
    |
    evolve into
    |
    |
    |
    mage----------changing----->warlock

is basicaly blood mages are mages who learned some *shadow* magic without getting corrputed

and the only blood mages are elfs

also the basic attack confirms it`s a mage => fire ball attack

and
    to the one who said phonix=pet = warlock omg srsly

Hmm, interesting theories going on here. I'm kind of leaning towards "Mage", but the Warlock traits are hard to ignore. I would have to say, though, that the Phoenix reminds me more of a Mage than a Warlock, though. Sure, it's a pet, but Warlock pets are demons, and if the Phoenix were truly demonic, it would probably be straight red-and-orange. But the Phoenix also has traces of purple, looking a bit too "happy and magical" for a Warlock.

But do continue ^_^

So, this is kind of an old topic, but with Warlocks having Verdant Spheres now, it felt like a relevant time to bring it back up!

I've recently been playing around with both Mage and Warlock classes, and even though Verdant Spheres going to Warlocks seems like the kind of thing that should be a final nail in the coffin, I'm actually less sold. Mages now have two Class-sets named explicitly after Blood Mages -- the Blood Mage Regalia, and the Sunstrider Regalia -- as well as the Mage's Sunwell-Set looking like the spitting image of a Blood Mage.

Meanwhile, Warlocks are using powers based on Twilight's Hammer, Illidan's Metamorphosis, and Ragnaros -- none of which seem particularly "Blood Mage-y". The upcoming quest for Green-Fire looks like it could be a lot of fun, but I wonder whether that's maybe just *too* much green for a Blood Mage? As well, Warlock-sets seem to be much more "grim", which are primarily black with deathly or demonic elements, which seems rather inconsistent with what I would expect of a Blood Mage. Then again, perhaps they were "closet Warlocks"?

Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    they are blood elf mages.
    So the gnome blood mage in Blasted Lands is actually a blood elf?

Blood Magic hasn't been discussed in detail in any canon sources, afaik. It seems like they use blood as a medium for magic and have capacity to heal and resurrect with it.

The phoenix is more like a sorcerer's familiar, unlike demons that are bound and enslaved though force by warlocks, something heavily echoed in the sound files of the demons. The bond isn't at the level of a hunter's pet (well, the real one-pet kind, not the 20-pet ingame kind) and sometimes a familiar is a purely magical entity, like the kind you can glyph for now.

Anyway, on topic, I'd say what we have in front of us is a mage if you consider his current presentation, magic, and other surface elements, but his studies, his priorities, his motives, what makes him tick, that will be warlock, and sure enough he'll be compromising everything he can for dark power by next Tuesday.

If anything, "blood mage" has the beginnings of an oxymoron. In context, "blood" refers to the sin'dorei lamenting their tragic blah blah whatever, but out of context someone that pays for power in blood is all warlock.

tldr it's both, quit making the world black and white, if you must it's currently mage
    Ever squish your face on a window?
    It looks funny. Ever got it stuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    Are demon hunters not hunters? of demons.

Mage has one meaning.. hunter is general.

Hunters hunt..stuff.
    Demon hunters hunt demons.. so yes all demon hunters are hunters but not all hunters are demon hunters.
    mage has one meaning, yes
    a mage uses magic, that describes every class in WoW.
    hunter and warrior do too, we all hunt things, and we all engage in war.