Page 1 of 3
LastLast

resto druid gemming intelect?

Hello, had a little argument with a resto druid who's 50% of the gems were intellect and 50% spirit.

that just didn't make any sence for me why to prefer it over 23 spell power or sp/spirit gems..

that druid is uldy25/toc10/toc25 geared and doing a very good 25 raid healing.

Am i missing something and it is actually good or its just a wrong gem choice?

will be glad if that will be a deep explained answer, thank you.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: resto druid gemming intelect?

Intellect increases the amount of MP5 spirit gets, so the more intellect, the more MP5, but it is still not as high as the MP5 you get with spirit. http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-dr...ration-druids/ might tell more.

The bigger your mana pool the more mana you can regenerate SIMPLES

and you regenate alot of mana in 25 man's

Gemming int when having the said gear is maybe not the perfect solution but I myself also had pure int gems some time ago:

When I started raiding again in WotLK and my gear was quite bad, I had a hybrid specc for healing pve.

First starting with 28/0/43 and later on as the gear improved a little bit I went on to 23/0/48. I gemmed for pure int. It was great as with this specc you do not have any mana problems even if the gear is bad.
    - mana pool
    - spirit based regen
    - replenishment
    - mana tide totem
    - lunar guidance
    - dreamstate

The drawback is that you do not have Wild Growth but back then this was the main reason why I choose this specc. I just did not like the idea of not having to click in grid like crazy to hot every single player.

28/0/43:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...YgB5T9X,,10482

23/0/48:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...6pCJWB_,,10482
    Quote Originally Posted by Upptagen
    In TBC Casual's had their raids, and Hardcores had thiers.
    Casuals could progress in Kara, Mag, Gruul and some might have gotten to SCC and TK.
    The hardcores had BT and Sunwell. But don't forget! Alot of hardcores claims Kara to be the best raid instance in the game ever made, so why you wanna go BT?
    "Casuals had their raids, Hardcores had thiers, just because they are harder, it must not mean they are more fun.

if you're not having major oom issues gem for spell power
    more problems you're having more mana you need (therefor gem for intel, and than spirit)
    i'd prefer intel over spirit if it makes any difference to your question

A lot of players get sucked into Intellect as they see a lot of benefits from it (increased mana pool, more mana from Replenishment, more spirit-based mana regen, etc.) however if you sit down and do the actual numbers you'll find it's still not as good as spirit (and in fact, spirit isn't even as good as MP5 in terms of regen per itemization point).

No resto druid should ever be gemming for Intellect. The case you see of this druid doing end game instances is just another case showing that you don't have to have the best players to clear content.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

If you need to gem for mana regen at that level, you're doing something wrong. Make sure you have the IED meta and such before even considering socketing a single other gem that does not have SP on it. Going for any kind of hybrid spec to heal is also quite silly, since a bit of extra SP isn't worth the raw healing power that you lose by not speccing WG.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Deleted

Short answer = No.
    Long answer = Noooooooooooooooooooooo,

The only time straight SP should not be gem'd for is when you need the blues to meet the meta. Or for example it's a 7SP or a 5SP socket bonus then you could throw in another gem , if it's yellow I prefer SP + haste (as I friggin love haste). If it's blue the usual SP + Spirit will do , druids should not have other gems in use as they are not optimising their stats.

I'm just lucky I'm the druid officer and I had to tell the druid in my guild (he was gem'ing full haste , full spirit and full int) that if he kept his gems like that he would politly be removed from raids.

Deleted

Pure spirit gems should not even be used to activate a meta seeing as the stronger meta for resto druids tends to be Ember Skyflare Diamond (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41333) which activates on the number of red gems.

So gem away at that spell power.

Now, I'm a sucker for getting the bonus from sockets - I think it looks neater so when presented with a blue socket, a lovely little purified dreadstone finds itself a new home. As nice as haste is, when the 4T9 bonus is acquired its actually better to gear to around 364 haste and then stack crit. Something I am finding a real pain to do as previously I had geared fully to haste.

*Grumbles*

I like to gem the Spirit SP.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...zhul&n=Moodada

(I don't raid anymore so please excuse my shitty blue gems.)

Quote Originally Posted by Degrador

No resto druid should ever be gemming for Intellect. The case you see of this druid doing end game instances is just another case showing that you don't have to have the best players to clear content.
    Actually, it shows that skill>gear. A player can be skilled, but not know how to optimize their toon. They can also gear/gem/spec perfectly and still do their job terribly.

At that level, you shouldn't gear for int. If you are in ToC (raids) and you need more intellect, then you might not be ready for ToC...or your dps suck.

"We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft
    Actually, it shows that skill>gear. A player can be skilled, but not know how to optimize their toon. They can also gear/gem/spec perfectly and still do their job terribly.

At that level, you shouldn't gear for int. If you are in ToC (raids) and you need more intellect, then you might not be ready for ToC...or your dps suck.

I disagree here. Normally people who are skilled have an inkling of how to gear properly. Maybe not to min-max standards such as being stringent to haste soft caps and the like but at least they know which stats are most useful to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatela
    Pure spirit gems should not even be used to activate a meta seeing as the stronger meta for resto druids tends to be Ember Skyflare Diamond (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41333) which activates on the number of red gems.
    You'll find that highly debateable. A lot of people would suggest IED is a better meta gem to get (me included). I see a lot of people using ESD with a regen trinket where they could instead be using IED and a SP one (note that ESD gives 25 SP where a SP trinket is 100+).

I disagree here. Normally people who are skilled have an inkling of how to gear properly. Maybe not to min-max standards such as being stringent to haste soft caps and the like but at least they know which stats are most useful to them.
    Exactly. Even if you're not sure yourself, a good player would do the research to find out the best stats for their class & spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

Yes. Most skilled players understand how to gear/gem, and can figure it out, but knowing how to gem/gear has nothing to do with how skilled you are. Anyone can go to ej and read up on their class but that doesn't mean they will perform well in raids.

unskilled players with little knowledge perform badly
    unskilled players that are knowledgeable will perform decently on tank n' spanks but die in fires
    skilled players that don't know all of the finer points will perform well, and won't hold you back until you are attempting hard modes
    skilled players that know their stuff perform optimally
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Stay clear of the "int > all" myth, while it held (holds? not sure now) merit while gemming for a holy paladin, spirit will give more regen point for point than int, and spirit adds to class specific bonuses, i.e. spellpower in tree form.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Zechs
    Stay clear of the "int > all" myth, while it held (holds? not sure now) merit while gemming for a holy paladin, spirit will give more regen point for point than int, and spirit adds to class specific bonuses, i.e. spellpower in tree form.
    That's prolly why I still love the spirit dragon figurene trinket (or whatever you call it).
    I Don't agree with the SP meta gem either btw, I know that point for point it is potentially giving a higer boost to healing itself but the mana back meta gem (I'm useless at remembering names) procs so much I love having it it also gives a good reason to use purified gems to get socket bonuses for 7sp or 5sp ; http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...land&n=Poldara
    That's how my resto gems are working atm (Sorry if I'm in DPS gear wont be able to change till I get home from work)

So gem away at that spell power.

Now, I'm a sucker for getting the bonus from sockets - I think it looks neater so when presented with a blue socket, a lovely little purified dreadstone finds itself a new home. As nice as haste is, when the 4T9 bonus is acquired its actually better to gear to around 364 haste and then stack crit. Something I am finding a real pain to do as previously I had geared fully to haste.

*Grumbles*
    359 is the haste cap, and I also am going for crit now. Skipping the lousy t9 shoulders and getting more ToC gear should do the job. Only thing I lack is a good necklace, as ToC doesnt have those ???

Quote Originally Posted by Degrador
    A lot of players get sucked into Intellect as they see a lot of benefits from it (increased mana pool, more mana from Replenishment, more spirit-based mana regen, etc.) however if you sit down and do the actual numbers you'll find it's still not as good as spirit (and in fact, spirit isn't even as good as MP5 in terms of regen per itemization point).
    When you do these calculations, how long does it take for Spirit's better mana regeneration to make up for Intellect's increased mana pool?

Mana is mana, Intellect provides more mana in short fights (where "short" is an unknown duration until someone does a little math).

I think the majority of the responses in this thread a little overly negative against Intellect.

My gems:

Red/Yellow Sockets = Spellpower/Int
    Blue Sockets = Spellpower/Spirit

I'm running 2600sp in caster form, so 3000sp in Tree Form with idol procced, then there's Mark/Wrath/Kings/Spirit/Flask, etc. Healing output isn't an issue.

The druids I see stacking spellpower gems in every socket are the same ones I see using terrible trinkets like Binding Stone. They read it somewhere and take it as gospel. Try intellect out for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by japes
    I think the majority of the responses in this thread a little overly negative against Intellect.

My gems:

Red/Yellow Sockets = Spellpower/Int
    Blue Sockets = Spellpower/Spirit

I'm running 2600sp in caster form, so 3000sp in Tree Form with idol procced, then there's Mark/Wrath/Kings/Spirit/Flask, etc. Healing output isn't an issue.

The druids I see stacking spellpower gems in every socket are the same ones I see using terrible trinkets like Binding Stone. They read it somewhere and take it as gospel. Try intellect out for yourself.
    most of the responses in this thread are overly negative toward gemming pure int. Your gem choices are correct in that you chose spell power first and then int/spi to match the socket color (assuming the socket bonus is worth having eg. 6+ SP). If you are putting int/spi gems in your red sockets then you are probably going a little overboard in the regen department. With all the regen on our tier gear you shouldn't be all that worried about it, unless your raid is incapable of avoiding damage or your other healers suck.