(Disc pve) Should I be first on the log rankings?

Just found the logs for this past week's raiding and on all of them my discipline priest is on top (world of logs counting absorbs as effective heal), one night by a 10% gap. Is this normal, considering we have 1-2 resto druids, 1-3 pals and sometimes a shaman? Is WoL buggy? What have you guys found (with either your disc priest or others in your guild)?

Cheers

Re: (Disc pve) Should I be first on the log rankings?

no, you shouldn't

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

If a disc priest is ever at the top of the charts, that's generally a bad sign. Disc priests are to me, half healers, half damage mitigation toons to play. Your heals are generally smaller, unlike the others whom aoe heal... a lot. If you are honestly above resto druids and holy paladins, then you need to talk with them, they aren't trying at all.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I'm not sure if this is particularly significant, but that +10% gap I mentioned was on 25 man faction champions normal mode. Tonight on normal 25 anub'arak I got 4% ahead just by shielding the penetrating cold guys :|

Quote Originally Posted by gash46
    Just found the logs for this past week's raiding and on all of them my discipline priest is on top (world of logs counting absorbs as effective heal), one night by a 10% gap. Is this normal, considering we have 1-2 resto druids, 1-3 pals and sometimes a shaman? Is WoL buggy? What have you guys found (with either your disc priest or others in your guild)?

Cheers
    Counting absorbs you should be #1 by a large margin.
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

It's quite normal if you pre-shield the raid.

It doesn't count for anything. World of Logs treats ALL absorption effects as 100% effective,r egardless of whether the effect was used or not.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

If you spam shields and throw in PoM / Penance / Poh whenever you can then you can win the top of the meter at log parse. If all you do is heal the tank, help out here and there then you won't be at the top.
    If a disc priest is ever at the top of the charts, that's generally a bad sign. Disc priests are to me, half healers, half damage mitigation toons to play. Your heals are generally smaller, unlike the others whom aoe heal... a lot. If you are honestly above resto druids and holy paladins, then you need to talk with them, they aren't trying at all.
    You should probably read the post before replying, there was a reason why OP said log parse and not Recount stats.
    And yes, discipline priests can be at the top of the meters at log parse. Saying they should be way down or way up without any significant proof is making the readers rely on your word, which for all we know - can mean nothing.

Discipline priests have aoe heal(s) and can very well help with aoe healing when necessary. PoH / PoM / shield spam / occasional renew and so on - it's dumb to lock a healer down to 4 spells when there's multitude of them, adjust to the situation and encounter, turn your logging off and be happy if you killed the encounter.
    If you want to be #1 at encounters, use Penance whenever it's off cd, PoM too, spam shields, when you got Weakened Soul and can't shield spam PoH. That'll bring you #1 guaranteed, however if you do this at Patchwerk-like encounter, you can see how useless it can be to do such things.

At twins, if you don't shield people and stick only to tank healing, then you fail again. Shielding the raid helps immensely there.

Yes, this is 100% normal. No, you shouldn't put much stock into it on most fights. Valks is probably the biggest fight where it's close to true. Most others the absorbs will be off anywhere from 20% to 80% easily. On a chart assuming 100% effectiveness on shields no one can touch Disc on a meter. It's just not going to happen. You can roll shields through a raid for 7k+ absorbs per second for an entire fight and there isn't much anyone can do about it. It's also worthless to do so in most fights. :P

15+ Year Old Account

the only fight i'm ever close to the top of meters is anub-arak, otherwise im about 1/2 - 2/3 the healing of the highest healer (usually bottom 1-2 healer, right above spriests, assuming no healers die)
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    It doesn't count for anything. World of Logs treats ALL absorption effects as 100% effective,r egardless of whether the effect was used or not.
    Sorry mate you are wrong.

World of logs don't count for the absorption regardless of the "used" part of the shield.

Look at this report

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/k...Zm/details/21/

It counts 939 glyph of power word shield. With my more or less 3200 spell power raid buffed I heal with glyph for something more then 1500 hp (you can check it on the "healing breakdown" page of the glyph) that means the shield is more then 7500 (1500 is 20% of the total value of the shield so 1500x5). So 939x7500=7042000 quite far from the 5100000 that world of logs give me for shields.

But is it true that sometimes (for example valkyr fight) the absorption mechanic of WOW crete big problems in counting the effective demage avoided with shields.

In general all this data and in particular the ones on shield absorption must be double cheked and used to give an idea of what happening, they are not 100% accurate. But they can give you an idea of what happening. And of course you can be first on the meter if you are not assigned to focus on tank/s. If you have to keep alive tanks and you are always very high in the meter something is not working.

If you're looking at a World of Logs report then yes, this is completely normal. If anything you are probably higher on the list than WOL says because it only counts half of your total POSSIBLE absorbs as healing (half of both DA and PW:S). It indicates the estimated numbers in red or yellow.

If you are literally healing only one to three targets ever (i.e. tanks) and absolutely no one else (not even an occasional shield on a careless dps who is standing too long in a fire), then you should be lower, but when does any healer ever only heal that few people?

Personally I would say you're not doing your job as a disc priest if you aren't at least in the top 3 on WOL. Shields are meant to be on multiple targets at all times, otherwise the disc tree wouldn't have a cd reduction on PW:S.

Quote Originally Posted by karabosca
    Sorry mate you are wrong.

World of logs don't count for the absorption regardless of the "used" part of the shield.

Look at this report

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/k...Zm/details/21/

It counts 939 glyph of power word shield. With my more or less 3200 spell power raid buffed I heal with glyph for something more then 1500 hp (you can check it on the "healing breakdown" page of the glyph) that means the shield is more then 7500 (1500 is 20% of the total value of the shield so 1500x5). So 939x7500=7042000 quite far from the 5100000 that world of logs give me for shields.

But is it true that sometimes (for example valkyr fight) the absorption mechanic of WOW crete big problems in counting the effective demage avoided with shields.

In general all this data and in particular the ones on shield absorption must be double cheked and used to give an idea of what happening, they are not 100% accurate. But they can give you an idea of what happening. And of course you can be first on the meter if you are not assigned to focus on tank/s. If you have to keep alive tanks and you are always very high in the meter something is not working.
    Last month, I had a WoL parse that was telling me 20% of my effective healing was Divine Aegis. Which was funny, because it was competing with Circle of Healing on the same fights. Last I checked, you can't be spec'd for both. Since then, I've been excruciatingly wary of logs dictating how "awesome" Disc Priests are. I know their strengths, but giving an absolute number to utility and usefulness is playing the DPS game; we're not DPS.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~