prot pally meta gem question

I visit mmo every break i can from work. love all the info.

which meta gem for a pally MT?i never see any tank with the effulgent skyflare diamond(+32sta +2%spell reduction dmg).that meta + plus my spec gives me 5% spell dmg reduction.

but every tank i know wheres the austrere earthsiege diamond(+32 sta =2% armor value from items)

I am the MT of my guild. We raid uld and toc 10/25 not heroic toc .Just curious as to why the +2% armor meta is preferred compared to the +2%spell dmg reduction when i have talents that stack that up to 5%.

thanks for any info.

Re: prot pally meta gem question

most of the incoming damage in most of the fight is phisical

The +2% armor is preferred because most bosses merely hit you with physical damage and the 2% armor provides more mitigation.

For a Tankadin I know I'd be more conflicted between the 32stam, +2% armor vs the 21defense, 5% block value gem myself.
    Hopefully "at least" means "sometimes three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number flame shock shall tick, and the number of ticking shall be three. Four shalt thou not tick, nor either tick thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou holy lava burst of antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall suffer at least two more ticks of flame shock. Amen."
    :3 -Whowherewhat

thank your for the speedy responses.

i have 26575 unbuffed armor.thought the spell reduction would be more beneficial . thx for the advice will switch the gem.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZZDEMEANOR
    thank your for the speedy responses.

i have 26575 unbuffed armor.thought the spell reduction would be more beneficial . thx for the advice will switch the gem.
    Armour is boss right up until the cap to be honest. Don't skimp on it!

alot of Hard modes also have increased physical damage. for example the Northrend Beasts in ToGC. Gormok the Impaler's impale hits ALOT harder and the extra armor could mean life or death towards the end of the fight when his damage stacks are higher.

that's just 1 example but you get the idea. I would personally prefer the 2% spell reduction as well since that is what we lack as a paladin but then again the overall percentage of damage in current raids is mainly physical.

who knows, that could change in Icecrown.

When in doubt, get multiple helms with mutliple gem sets ups so when you do hit caster-based damage being king on a fight, you have a helm for it too. *shrugs* At least when feasible to swap over like that -- but as others said, purely spell damage isn't a huge thing out there, not without the boss also stacking some nasty melee hits. Shade of Aran style caster fights aren't that high in frequency, and are easily dealt with anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    alot of Hard modes also have increased physical damage. for example the Northrend Beasts in ToGC. Gormok the Impaler's impale hits ALOT harder and the extra armor could mean life or death towards the end of the fight when his damage stacks are higher.

that's just 1 example but you get the idea. I would personally prefer the 2% spell reduction as well since that is what we lack as a paladin but then again the overall percentage of damage in current raids is mainly physical.

who knows, that could change in Icecrown.
    This is completely inaccurate, armor does not affect bleeds, magic damage and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by waitwut
    This is completely inaccurate, armor does not affect bleeds, magic damage and the like.
    i was refering to the initial Impale damage not the DOT

GREAT INFO AND TIPS.

anything else? feel free to bang me up

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rhood&n=Grumph

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by MIZZDEMEANOR
    GREAT INFO AND TIPS.

anything else? feel free to bang me up

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rhood&n=Grumph
    Take 5 points out of Divinity, 1 point out of Spiritual Attunement, 5 points out of Benediction. All are currently being wasted.

Definitely put 1 point in Improved Judgements (essential for the 969 rotation, which is optimal for TPS) and 3 in Heart of the Crusader. Put one point in Benediction, Improved Judgements (for 2/2) or Improved Blessing of Might. Put 2 points in Vindication.

With the remaining four, you might as well go for 1 point in Conviction and 3/3 in Crusade.

Dude, I don't know where you are getting this measly 5% spell damage reduction WITH the meta from, but paladins have way more spell damage reduction than that WITHOUT the meta you mentioned.

To recap, we have:
    -3% from divine plea (glyphed)
    -3% from blessing of sanct
    -3% from shield of the templar
    -6% from guraded by the light
    -6% from improved righteous fury

Adding it all up to a whopping 18% spell damage reduction.

edit:
    Btw, your spec and glyph choices aren't ideal for a pally main tank.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

10+ Year Old Account

As was said earlier, your spec isn't for a Paladin MAIN Tank. It is solid for Off Tanking (Except for improved hammer of Justice) due to the Divine Sacrifice and Divine Guardian. If you're main tanking, taking even more damage due to that ability won't work effectively, and if you're thinking of using sacred shield then things will end up even worst due to you losing complete aggro. If in fact you are main tanking you should review your spec. Also, the meta gem has always been a no brainer for me on taking the 32 stam +2% Armor. You should review your spec a bit and you'll be getting more threat generation.

Hope it helps, Good luck

-Parhadox

Quote Originally Posted by Parhadox
    As was said earlier, your spec isn't for a Paladin MAIN Tank. It is solid for Off Tanking (Except for improved hammer of Justice) due to the Divine Sacrifice and Divine Guardian. If you're main tanking, taking even more damage due to that ability won't work effectively, and if you're thinking of using sacred shield then things will end up even worst due to you losing complete aggro. If in fact you are main tanking you should review your spec. Also, the meta gem has always been a no brainer for me on taking the 32 stam +2% Armor. You should review your spec a bit and you'll be getting more threat generation.

Hope it helps, Good luck

-Parhadox
    Not completely true. First off, 1 extra global cooldown every 30-60 seconds to cast SS on yourself isn't going to cause anyone to completely lose aggro. If you don't have a consistent hol ypally in your raids casting it on you, you SHOULD have it up. It's mitigation, your job is to not die.

Improved Hammer of Justice is a perfectly acceptable use of points. You currently have 3 "filler" points in the prot tree which can be put in any of Divinity, Reckoning, Imp HoJ, DS and DG. DS ought to be taken, it is an amazing ability. Tank swaps occur, eg on Gormok, and in that time Bubble+DS is a strong tool to use. Imp. HoJ is less useful, but helps on such fights as Iron Council, any trash anywhere, heroics, and last ditch interrupts on Jaraxxus and similar.

One of the foremost theory crafters for pala tanks (Theck) currently uses DS and Imp.Hoj for those 3 filler points. It's a bit of utility, not something to be looked down on.

EDIT: To the OP, you need to not only put a point into Imp. Judgements, but to swap Glyph of Consecrate for Glyph of Seal of Vengance, and Glyph of Spiritual Attunement for the taunt glyph or something. You're already sustaining your mana pool with 1/2 SA, let alone 2/2 + glyphed. The points in judgement, and removing the Consecration glyph, allows you to use the optimal 96969 rotation, which those 2 points are currently preventing you from touching.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardolan
    Take 5 points out of Divinity, 1 point out of Spiritual Attunement, 5 points out of Benediction. All are currently being wasted.

Definitely put 1 point in Improved Judgements (essential for the 969 rotation, which is optimal for TPS) and 3 in Heart of the Crusader. Put one point in Benediction, Improved Judgements (for 2/2) or Improved Blessing of Might. Put 2 points in Vindication.

With the remaining four, you might as well go for 1 point in Conviction and 3/3 in Crusade.
    Divinity is actually a good talent. You give up a bit of threat for it, obviously, but as long as you know what you're doing, threat isn't an issue. It is quite the useful talent for a guild progressing in raids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

Quote Originally Posted by Copain
    Divinity is actually a good talent. You give up a bit of threat for it, obviously, but as long as you know what you're doing, threat isn't an issue. It is quite the useful talent for a guild progressing in raids.
    Unless your healers are never healing you to full health at any point in the fight then yes it is good. Otherwise it equates to 5% extra overhealing. 5 points are better spent elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Doddilus
    Unless your healers are never healing you to full health at any point in the fight then yes it is good. Otherwise it equates to 5% extra overhealing. 5 points are better spent elsewhere
    Not many guilds that are PROGRESSING will have their tanks at max HP.

Personally, when it comes to Tanking, I have two specs (My Duel spec is also a tank spec). One is for more Survival, taking talents such as Divinity, the other is for more threat.

Considering I almost never have threat issues, I typically just stay in my Survival spec, making it easier on healers, which is part of the Tank's job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

Just run around with various meta's in your bags for easy switching, they aren't too expensive

That being said, there isn't much use for the 2% SD redu one at all (at the moment), I just run around with BV ones for threat and stam/armour ones for regular tanking
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Outland&n=enbee
    -> I might be logged out in protpvpgear

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by nwo
    Dude, I don't know where you are getting this measly 5% spell damage reduction WITH the meta from, but paladins have way more spell damage reduction than that WITHOUT the meta you mentioned.

To recap, we have:
    -3% from divine plea (glyphed)
    -3% from blessing of sanct
    -3% from shield of the templar
    -6% from guraded by the light
    -6% from improved righteous fury

Adding it all up to a whopping 18% spell damage reduction.

edit:
    Btw, your spec and glyph choices aren't ideal for a pally main tank.
    They're multiplied factors, not added up.

It's 0.97(DP)*0.97(BoS)*0.97(SotT)*0.94(GbtL)*0.94(IRF) = 0.806, making it an effective 19.4% damage reduction

Ontopic: as far as I know, the spell-reducing meta was used for Sartharion 3D, but at the moment there isn't such a magical heavy fight where it's good to get it. AED is by far the best, and EED comes second for TPS/high avoidance sets (like for Anub adds).
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Needonboots
    Not completely true. First off, 1 extra global cooldown every 30-60 seconds to cast SS on yourself isn't going to cause anyone to completely lose aggro. If you don't have a consistent hol ypally in your raids casting it on you, you SHOULD have it up. It's mitigation, your job is to not die.

Improved Hammer of Justice is a perfectly acceptable use of points. You currently have 3 "filler" points in the prot tree which can be put in any of Divinity, Reckoning, Imp HoJ, DS and DG. DS ought to be taken, it is an amazing ability. Tank swaps occur, eg on Gormok, and in that time Bubble+DS is a strong tool to use. Imp. HoJ is less useful, but helps on such fights as Iron Council, any trash anywhere, heroics, and last ditch interrupts on Jaraxxus and similar.

One of the foremost theory crafters for pala tanks (Theck) currently uses DS and Imp.Hoj for those 3 filler points. It's a bit of utility, not something to be looked down on.

I meant to say Divine Shield which makes you lose complete threat.. Sorry about that. Keeping up sacred shield even if you have a holy paladin is a must due to yours being a longer duration. Valid points Needonboots, I was talking from my opinions point of view. As you said it's filler talents one puts to where personal preference wants it. On Gormok I usually save the bubble to remove the 3 stacks before tanking dreadscale / acidmaw. At the current content though, HoJ shines in Lord Jar, sure you could use Divine Guardian + Divine Shield in NR Beasts, but you could also do without it. Which is why my preference is in my talent spec.. even though I have to re-spec as soon as I have no ret pallies in my raid...