Heroic Northrend Beasts

Heya,

My guild is 10man strict, and we cleared all content, and most ulduar hardmodes (working on freya+3). However, we got major problems with Northrend Beasts. The biggest problem is the timer: Gormok is at like 10-15% when the worms start attacking. Impale is also sometimes a problem but not major.

However, our dps seems quite fine, 3.7-4k. What are we doing wrong? Is it really a dps issue? We usually just burn down boss and all dps switches to Snobolds as soon as we can target them. We play with 3 healers 2 tanks, should we try 2? I dont think that will work since tanks get dangerously low as from impale already.

Thanks!
    Aldun

Re: Heroic Northrend Beasts

Quite simply, yes, it is a dps issue. It is possible to 2 heal it if you have a pally healer and a druid or priest, but it probably won't be easy if you don't have access to 25 man gear. 4k dps seems a bit low to me, but considering you are a 10 man only guild i'm not too sure how geared you are.

Step 1. Get guild online
    Step 2. Lead a pug of 25 ToC
    Step 3. Ninja everything you need
    Step 4. Profit
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    If someone could transform Satan's anus into a potent powder, I would totally snort it.

We run ToGC with 2 tanks and 2 heals...We do use a pally healer though which helps alot.

Anyway...it sounds like a major dps issue for the most part. I pull at least 5k on even the worst fights. Pulled 5.8k on Anoob GC10s... failpeen...
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliekcookies View Post
    WoW is like heroine among MMORPGs. Once you're hooked, it's an addiction. You can't go back to anything weaker.

One thing we do on 25man H is only kill the first 2 snobolds. Kill the other two as the worms are coming out.
    Also, people w/ snobolds (even range dps and healers) should get right up under the boss w/ the rest of your melee so that melee can cleave the boss while killing the snobolds.

4k dps seams low to me as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Guess my guild just fails then. Just did a normal ulduar run and on XT hm(quite steady dps), we had the following dps:

Hunter 5.5k (me /flex)
    DK 4.6k
    DK 4.2k
    Mage 4k
    Warlock 3.9k
    Pally 3.8k
    Warrior 3k (tank)
    Pally 3k (tank)
    Druid (healer)
    Shaman (healer)

Oh well.. Onto more gear then.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldun

Hunter 5.5k (me /flex)
    DK 4.6k
    DK 4.2k
    If your DK's are letting you beat them on XT, then it's their fault you're not downing Beasts.

I guess 5.5k dps for a hunter in not even full 226 gear isn't that bad, but thats on XT hardmode, the heart gives a dps increase still, that means your deathknights only do 4k dps or less on beasts with all the Target swaps and phases where dots are ticking and you can't do anything.

Personally, i think that the dps numbers you gave me are way to low, not just low but way to low, even for a guild that can't kill the things like Freya 3 on 10man and probably Firefighter too, you can just as easily get all the crap with tokens, and how long has ToC been out, just by farming the 10man normal mode and the 25man normal mode or the old content the badge gear alone should have given you the gear to easily walk over this encounter.

Beasts on 10man hardmode is just a joke, and even though we have great gear in my guild and did Anub'arak 25 heroic, (2% wipe on the realm first actually >_<) i think your dps'ers are just way to low, gear or not, and this is not pointed majorly at you because your dps seems alright i guess for your gear, but:

DK 4.6k
    DK 4.2k
    Mage 4k
    Warlock 3.9k
    Pally 3.8k
    Warrior 3k (tank)
    Pally 3k (tank)

These numbers of Pala (ret right?) doing 3.8k and warlocks doing 3.9k, mages 4k, these are numbers you did in Naxx on patchwerk with naxx gear only, if you know what you are doing that is, and I'd say that for most classes its just nuking for all you're worth on Gormok, sure there are adds but you can just keep nuking.

By the way, some tips here incase you keep trying:

-If you can, think about letting the guy that gets the snobald mode in melee range so melee can target the snobald, and cleave back on the boss, this does not work the other way around, if i Bladeflurry on the boss it will not go on the snobald aswell, this also means all ranged can easily target and nuke it, and ofcourse things like Living bomb still hurt the boss.

-Think about letting only ranged kill the snobalds fulltime, aslong as all your ranged targets it the boss will always get nuked down by your melee and the snobalds will not overwhelm you.

-If you really can't get through this phase, consider atleast using bloodlust on it untill you can get through it easier, its no use having tank deaths at 50% Gormok because the healing didn't keep up or you got too many snobalds, keep in mind that a bloodlust in phase one is a luxery.

I could be giving you hints about the later phases but one step at a time if you like i can give you more info later on the other phases but you really should tell your dps that they have to step up, as that is way to little dps.

Stood in the Fire DaveTheHunter's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Definitely seems like low dps. I also am currently in a strict 10 man guild and we will usually bring down gormok with at least 30 sec left on the timer. Sometimes when our top dps, a lock, gets a snobold its a little closer than that, but generally speaking we have no worries over the timer.

A few key things:
    The snobolds will interrupt ANY caster in range. Make sure you're spread out so only the one with the snobold on them has that issue.

Ignore snobolds on melee. Its a little more damage to heal through but its much easier to burn them down between phases on the worms.

If a ranged dps gets a snobold, let ranged dps kill it. However, if a healer gets one EVERYONE burn it down. I can't tell you how many times we thought "its just one healer, let ranged kill it" only to have the other healer get one right after then both healers have one.

Your guild may be like mine where we allow people to play whatever class and spec they really want, which is all fine, but at some point you may want to talk to your guildies about maximizing raid synergy as much as possible, which is important in a 10 man. We recently made some changes along those lines ourselves. We switched from a pally MT to me on a druid as MT as the massive health pool is an advantage with the large amount of damage output in heroic modes. Our dps DK went dual wield to supply the haste buff for other melee. Our paladin MT switched to ret and now supplies replenishment so our warlock doesn't have to and can spec for increased dps. Raid synergy in a 25 man is almost a non issue, but when you're trying to do hard modes in a strict 10 man guild and don't have the 25 man gear to make it easier, synergy is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldun
    Guess my guild just fails then. Just did a normal ulduar run and on XT hm(quite steady dps), we had the following dps:

Hunter 5.5k (me /flex)
    DK 4.6k
    DK 4.2k
    Mage 4k
    Warlock 3.9k
    Pally 3.8k
    Warrior 3k (tank)
    Pally 3k (tank)
    Druid (healer)
    Shaman (healer)

Oh well.. Onto more gear then.
    Unless your mage is severely under-geared, I don't understand how he/she's only pulling 4k. Even with a melee heavy raid group, a mage in 4pc Conq T9, and a decent assortment of Ulduar/ToC10 off pieces should do 5-6k easily.

We do 2 tanks (Bear/Paladin) and 2 heals (this week it was Shaman/Druid) and the rest dps. However, our dps is all over 4k. We take
    Enh Shaman: 5-6k
    Warlock: 5.5k
    Rogue: 6k
    Fury Warrior: 5k
    Hunter: 5k
    Boomkin: 5k

We got Anub last night after a couple tries and got Tribute to Skill once again : /

Really it looks like it might just be a dps issue for you. Try to get everyone some 25 ToC gear, because it is pretty essential for 10 ToGC, though it should be doable without it, it just might be a bit tougher.

You have to remember that the OP said they are '10man strict' which, to me, means they don't run 25s. Suggesting that they get 25 gear or posting 25 geared DPS isn't helpful.

I would, however, agree with the above poster that suggested buying the 245 gear with badges. That seems your best option at this point. Another suggestion would be to make sure each and every one of your DPS has absolutely perfected their spec.

To even think about attempting 10 togc and make it to 2nd phase of NB all dps should be doing 5k+. You may want to get at least full crafted and badge gear before trying it again.. As far as your raid comp goes, I'd replace one of your melee dps w/ a ranged. If you plan on getting farther than NB it makes it easier if you have three ranged, two melee, three heals and two tanks. From what I've seen that comp has been fairly solid; but then again, if your raid dps is already low, it's probably a bad idea to replace a dps w/ more heals.

Good luck to yah!

Actually, this evening we did a ToGC10 after our raid at 12, and quickly fixed some low lower gear for our raid,

Ended up with us getting
    *Tribute to Dedicaded Insanity*

Basically, as i've said earlier, the dps numbers are really all that you need, and you don't need 25 man gear for it. (If you didn't know, Tribute to Dedicaded Insanity means you cannot use any ToC25 and ToGC25 Loot and no Val'anyrs either, only everything in the ToC10 and ToGC10 (including tribute chest) items and lower.

We basically went in after just fixing the gear on our players quick, and this setup wasn't perfect, for example we had a DPS dk that never tanks for us just offtank it, dps warrior majorly under expertise capped, a Paladin that had the mace had to use a ilvl 200 weapon because his Val'anyr wasn't alowed etc, and it still went easy.

The only thing we almost wiped on was Anub'arak because the MT was the Deathknight with crap gear MT it, getting healing by a half naxx geared paladin etc, nothing was optimal, and still you can easily make it.

We ofcourse do have the experience of the 25man heroic but that doesn't mean you can't do a boss as easy as northrend beasts 10man heroic with a guild that focusses on 10 man progress.

Btw, the setup was:
    Warrior Tank
    Deathknight Tank
    Warrior Dps
    Rogue
    Rogue
    Hunter
    Warlock replenishment (lmao)
    Shaman Healing
    Paladin Healing
    Druid Healing

Yeah dispelling Jaraxus was a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleid
    I would, however, agree with the above poster that suggested buying the 245 gear with badges.
    They can't get the 245 gear without the Trophies and the only way to get them is to do 25normal (which they are not doing) or 10hard (which they can't get past the first boss). They best they can do is pick up the 232 gear.

edit: they can get the 245 non-tier pieces but that's only like 2 pieces (head and shoulders) iirc.