Thread: Too much Hit

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Too much Hit

Hello..

This being my first post here and all, I'll be short.
    Been trying to search for answers here, but the search system isn't exactly bulletproof.

In my current dps gear I have 462 +hit.
    But I'm not quite sure about hit again.

Is too much +hit bad for the overall dps or?
    Cause I've been trying to swap items, but dps items without hit isn't quite growing on trees

My Toon:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ul+Tiras&n=Tza

Re: Too much Hit

wowwiki says 368 is cap for SPriest with +3% from talents.

Ive never played a caster class but the stat weightings would suggest that that much hit would effect your overall dps as the points could be used elsewhere. I see that you aren't gemming for +hit so I guess its just bad luck that you cant find gear with less +hit. (best i could suggest is some healing gear(?))
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so.

hit rating is good. but the cap is 17% for spellcasters

once you have hit 17% through any combination of your talents, gear, and buffs, any more you get is literally completely worthless in any situation. i.e. completely wasted item points or talents.

right now your at 17.61% with your gear alone, so you already are gonna want to shake off some of that for other stats,

plus you have Misery, which increases your chance to hit by 3% meaning the cap for you will be 14%

meaning you have 3.61% of hit rating wasting item points on your gear. get rid of it for other important stats (SP, crit, haste, ect.) and you should notice a pretty nice increase you your dps, while still being hit capped.

(also, for the purpose of completeness, the dranei racial aura 1% +hit is also something to be considered if you are a dranei or know you will be grouped with one, but since you are horde that doesnt apply to you =) )

since your a Shadow Priest, you need 14% hit, however for people who say..

"i only need 13% cus i always get a boomkin/dranei..

well when if that person dosen't show, or dies half way through a fight, your fucked, that's why you always want hit capped before buffs. but since your a SP, you only need 14%

Actually, shadow priests only need 11% or 289 hit rating with Shadow Focus and Misery.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Frozencore
    since your a Shadow Priest, you need 14% hit, however for people who say..

"i only need 13% cus i always get a boomkin/dranei..

well when if that person dosen't show, or dies half way through a fight, your fucked, that's why you always want hit capped before buffs. but since your a SP, you only need 14%
    wtf does having a boomkin have anything to do with need 1% less hit????
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Deleted

Boomkins bring a debuff similar to misery.

In general, the shadoe hticap is 11% without a draenei, or 289 hit rating.

You gain a flat 3% from talents, and another, more dynamic 3% from misery.

You only need 14% hit if you want to be really safe. If you roll with 11%, you will have more dps, with the only drawback being that your opening spell (usually Vamp touch) has a 3% chance to miss, as that is the actualy spell that needs to hit to apply misery. Although admittedly shadow is my offspec, I have had this miss happen twice in about 4 months.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by ubergoose
    Imp FF gives extra hit
    misery is the same exact thing as imp FF except for the fact that imp FF gives 3% more crit. plus hes undead so the 1% more hit from the draenei aura is out of the question.
    the point is since you are a spriest and you are the one giving the 3% hit buff you should only be gearing for 11% hit throught gear and gems because you will never be without the buff.

so you being at 17% hit through just gear is a very big loss to you dps and you need to replace a lot of that gear that gives hit.
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

wtf does having a boomkin have anything to do with need 1% less hit?
    Nothing since Misery and Imp FF do not stack.

Quote Originally Posted by JanFrode
    Hello..

This being my first post here and all, I'll be short.
    Been trying to search for answers here, but the search system isn't exactly bulletproof.

In my current dps gear I have 462 +hit.
    But I'm not quite sure about hit again.

Is too much +hit bad for the overall dps or?
    Cause I've been trying to swap items, but dps items without hit isn't quite growing on trees

My Toon:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ul+Tiras&n=Tza
    No-one has answered your question very well so I hope this helps.

Hit is a very different DPS stat because it has a hard cap, ie. there is a point where getting more hit has 0 effect on your DPS. This is because spells have a 17% chance to miss a raid boss or a mob that is +3 your level. Once you reach 17% hit you cannot miss and therefore gaining more hit rating or hit via talents doesn't do anything.

For shadow priests we can achieve 6% hit from talents via Misery and Shadow Focus. This means you need to find 11% hit from gear which translates to 289 hit rating. A minority of people will say that it's benefical to go above 289 hit rating and remove talent points from hit talents and place them elsewhere. I would say there is very little benefit in doing that simply because you can gain all the DPS talents anyways.

What you also need to understand is how gear is itemised, it is itemised according to an items Item level (iLevel). Basically this is an arbitary number of itemisation points that are spent... so 1 hit rating might be 1 iLevel but 1 stamina might be 0.5 iLevel etc. When you analyse what % of hit you get per iLevel spent on hit rating you realise that hit is one of the most effecient stats per iLevel. It's far more effecient than haste and crit for example. Now that we have reached gear that has an iLevel of 258 there are items with massive amounts of hit rating, it's so abundant it's actually difficult not to go over the cap.

Now what some people are alluding to is if you are massively over the cap you are wasting iLevel points in a stat that provides 0 dps. Basically if you were 100 hit over the cap thats 100 iLevel points that could be spent on crit or sp or haste, even intellect or spirit... something else that would provide some sort of DPS effect. What they aren't considering is the fact that items exist with such large amounts of hit rating that there is no better itemised alternative and one can't help but be over the hit cap.

As an example Blade of Tarasque contains 51 hit, but even if equipping this item put you over the hit cap by 51 hit it's going to be a higher DPS weapon than Illumination. Obviously the idea is to rid yourself of 51 hit elsewhere but there are items in a majority of slots now that are close to the best DPS alternative that contain hit. Particularly when you restrict the gear list to attainable gear, lets face it we're all not in guilds clearing heroic 25man Anub'arak.

So try to not go stupidly over the hit cap but evaluate why you are over the cap and don't be afraid about it if it's due to items that are still your best DPS items. In a general sense if you have 462 hit rating you are very likely to be wasting itemisation points but if you end up in some iLevel 245 gear and 350 odd hit rating i'd almost suggest it's something you can't help to a degree. Best thing to do (as always) is create a gear plan in a spreadsheet that only uses gear you can attain. www.shadowpriest.com lists the BiS gear by slot, so it's quite easy to work out a plan that tries to use hit effeciently so you don't go too far over.

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    As an example Blade of Tarasque contains 51 hit, but even if equipping this item put you over the hit cap by 51 hit it's going to be a higher DPS weapon than Illumination.
    Err... Blade + heroic offhand with spirit = 980 effective spellpower and Staff = 977 Effective Spellpower.
    Atleast through my valuing of Haste and Crit, ofcourse disregarding hit that you pointed out.

Effective spellpower = pesudofailspriest.com

@ OP

Get Offhand and Wrists from Valks25.
    10 man Wand
    Tier Chest
    Boots from 10m Valks.

That should bring u closer to hit cap. if u are under get 10m Valks offhand or 25man hit offhand instead.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo
    misery is the same exact thing as imp FF except for the fact that imp FF gives 3% more crit
    Actually the 3% crit bonus from IFF only applies to boomkin who have the talent to cast it.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Ah.. Got an little more understanding of the hit rating now
    Thank you for your answers

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Abb
    You only need 14% hit if you want to be really safe. If you roll with 11%, you will have more dps, with the only drawback being that your opening spell (usually Vamp touch) has a 3% chance to miss, as that is the actualy spell that needs to hit to apply misery.
    SW:P and mind flay also apply misery...and sw is most people's opening spell
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll
    It sure as hell shouldn't be.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll
    SW:P should be pretty damn far from an opener spell.. wait? exactly 5 stacks of SW from it!

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

I'm still amazed that there is still some people who havent realised that... for how long have we been trying to tell them it now? since wotlk came out?

15+ Year Old Account

Seeing how your post is not an old post that was brought up for more discussion I'll comment on it.

The hit cap for you is simply 289 being an undead. You're severely over cap & should work on reducing it. I took the time to look at your achievements to get an idea for your level of progression so I'll go off that while making assumption no Yogg kill for 10 or 25 man and 10/25 man ToC normal mode on farm for suggestions.

Chest/Helm: Once you can get your 4p from T8 you should shoot for your chest piece to allow the helm from Ony (crit & haste without spirit is BiS currently) or pick up your helm while picking up just about any of the chest pieces that drop in ToC. You could also pick up the T9 holy chest with the T9 shadow helm which would yield the highest ranking for you while allowing for 4p shadow (the holy robes are BiS for people who only have access to non-heroic 25 man & the heroic holy robes are the BiS of all chest pieces).

Bracers: The combustion bracers are good starting out bracers for any caster since they're BOE, have a decent amount of SP on them, and have hit. Your problem is that since you're over hit cap as much as you are, the hit does you absolutely no good & are a wasted stat itemization. If you're able to push XT hardmode 25 man every week then I'd do everything possible to get those bracers since they will be your BiS until you can get the BOE crafted ones from ToC made for you (they're BiS). Quite frankly any of the bracers in Naxx, Ulduar, ToC, or even H VH (Azyre Cloth Bindings which has 59 SP but has 50 crit would still be an upgrade while losing roughly 13 SP).

Boots: Given your progression, your BiS boots would come from Flame Leviathan hard mode. Given the nerfs that have been made over & over again to the fight, it should be easier for you to get given the RNG gods blessing you with good drops. Until that happens, shoot for the ones off Anub or Faction Champs on 25 man (Anub has hit but still good upgrade), either Ulduar crafted boots, boots off Valkyrs-10, Faction Champs-10 (has hit but damn good boots), or even the boots off Auriaya which would yield slightly more SP because of the spirit while giving no hit rating.

Wand: The wand you have is basically the wand casters use that need that little extra hit for their gear. The SP on it might seem tempting over some of the ones from Naxx or any of the other wands in Ulduar but the fact that it only has SP and hit makes it poorly itemized for you. Run both 10 and 25 man Naxx for the wands that drop off in there & get ANY of the other wands from Ulduar if they drop. Your other option is picking up the badge wand. Granted it has 1 more hit but its also got 6 more SP and 4 more SP for roughly a 7 SP increase.

Belt: The belt that drop off Beasts-25 is the only upgrade you'd be able to get besides some ToC heroic drops which I'm guessing you won't see in the near future so there's not much you can do there to lower the hit that belt gives you.

Offhand: This is probably going to be your biggest upgrade for the available options out there. Ward of the Violet Citadel was probably the most hated weapon in game for casters since the itemization on it is nearly perfect while compared to the availabilty of hit gear before ToC and some of the higher end stuff in Ulduar's hard modes. There's a reason why you saw nearly every caster out there with it on; it was simply too good to replace. That being said, its now out-dated especially given your circumstance of being well over hit cap. ANY of the offhands from Naxx or Ulduar would be immediate upgrades for you. Interestingly, the 2 inscription tomes would too. While Iron-bound Tome may appear to be a better choice since its got 25 more SP than Faces of Doom, its edged out slightly from FoD because of the increased crit rate and actual int/spirit which add crit/SP when figured up. The pvp offhands (furious & deadly too) would be upgrades for you. If you want to stick with ToC gear then shoot for Valkyrs (10 or 25) or Jaraxxus-25. Granted the one from Valkyrs-25 is the only one of those that doesn't have it but the other 2 are still major upgrades for you.

I hope this helps you out some. I know that the ToC gear is just drenched in hit which makes it too poorly itemized if you ask me. They are trying to make up for screwing us over with out whopping 74 hit on ONE piece of our T8 by giving us like what 250ish on our T9. That simply means you'd have to get more or less 50 hit on the rest of your gear to be hit capped as a shadow priest depending on how you go about getting your 4 piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelol
    SW:P should be pretty damn far from an opener spell.. wait? exactly 5 stacks of SW from it!
    Eh. I recast it at 5, but still use it to open. The extra damage buff / ticks while you're getting SW stacked are worth spending one GCD.
    Wow Forum accomplishment: autobanned for using the following phrase:
    My therapist notes my intrapersonal skills suffer from love of the grape.