Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Making a new priest.

I have been thinking of making a disc priest (yes also for leveling).
    It has to be alliance and I was thinking of what race would be best, and if there is anything else I should know, like spec at different levels, gear that is good to have except for the BoA gear etc.

If you could help me with this then I would love you priesties forever and ever.

/cheers Phail.

Re: Making a new priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Phailzôr
    I have been thinking of making a disc priest (yes also for leveling).
    It has to be alliance and I was thinking of what race would be best, and if there is anything else I should know, like spec at different levels, gear that is good to have except for the BoA gear etc.

If you could help me with this then I would love you priesties forever and ever.

/cheers Phail.
    Night elf is a good choice for leveling, shadowmeld saves your life in any situation you would have been killed in without it. Example, you're soloing a grp quest, (almost every grp quest ingame are soloable now) you miss a few hits and have to start over, shadowmeld is your friend.¨You're running in stv questing, you see a horde 5 lvls above you, that you know you can't defeat, shadowmeld is your friend.

Are you asking about the best racial for levelling or endgame?

For endgame I'd say Human for the extra spirit/rep-bonus/free trinket, but none of the ally racials are really great for PvE priest since stoneform got nerfed.

As for specs at various levels etc - harky recently wrote a guide for exactly this!

http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-priest/(priest)-solo-leveling-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy-j
    You're running in stv questing, you see a horde 5 lvls above you, that you know you can't defeat, shadowmeld is your friend.
    i'm fairly positive that the horde 5 lvls above you can still see you, unless for some reason he hasnt seen you and doesnt come close.

i'm male drainei, and thats imo the best looks for priest.
    human racial of 3% spririt is nice, but its very very small (30 spirit every 1k ftw?), certainly if you are planning to go disc.

so go for looks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamless
    Heh, ahh the internet. Where the 'glass is half full' and 'glass is half empty' people are both shouted down by the heaving masses of "WAAAAH! I WANT A FULL GLASS! WAAAAAAAH!'

Why would anybody want to be a male spacegoat for looks?

But yeh - when you compare with troll racial or belf racial none of the ally racials are overwhelming for PvE.

If the OP is interested in PvP though, I'd say Human is ahead by more than the free spirit gem.

It's a good thing that you asked here since this information isn't available anywhere else on the internets.
    Personal site: http://fuh-q.com
    My Kitteh's personal site: http://kitteh.in

Human

they look good and got a nice racial.

More leveling friendly racials even. And the free PvP trinket is of course nice too.
    I registered on MMO-Champion and all I got was this lousy signature.

I'm a cynic. Deal with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kentukyfried
    It's a good thing that you asked here since this information isn't available anywhere else on the internets.
    Chill dude, forums are where people have conversations about the game. Have you never had a conversation with people that was irrelevant? Or a conversation that maybe had been had before by somebody else?

Besides - given the continuously changing nature of the game you can google around to find information about something, only to discover that the information is long out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike
    Chill dude, forums are where people have conversations about the game. Have you never had a conversation with people that was irrelevant? Or a conversation that maybe had been had before by somebody else?

Besides - given the continuously changing nature of the game you can google around to find information about something, only to discover that the information is long out of date.
    This in particular.

I might go for the human then, not for the looks because lets be frank humans are quite dull looking. But for the free pvp trinket and the rep.

Cheers. And that guide looks good but I see quite a lot of people disagree with it. I will check it out when I get home.

15+ Year Old Account

If you are making an Alliance priest & asking for advice on which race (as your post stated) I would go with human for multitudes of reasons.

1. REP REP REP!!! Every person who has made it to 60 during the first release, then 70 during BC, then 80 now will tell you how much an increase in how much rep you get helps you out greatly. Hell even people who never played a day before Lich King came out but has a lvl 80 now can say the same thing even if they don't understand how much the rep grinds have been since the game came out. Decreasing the time it takes you to get to that level of rep you desire means you get that enchant or item or learn that crafting thing 10% faster than everyone else. There's a reason why the first person to get the first Northrend Vanguard was a HUMAN Death Knight (human gave 10% rep & DK gave more starting out Ebon Blade rep).

2. SPIRIT FTW!! If you're going disc you'll benefit greatly from the extra mana regen from meditation so you have less downtime. Holy and disc priests aren't known for their sustained mana regen for offensive battles compared to the virtual endless mana that spriests have. In addition to meditation, you'll benefit from spirit tap & improved spirit tap for both extra dmg and less downtime. Granted spirit isn't as good for disc priests as it used to be but its not something bad either.

3. FREE PVP TRINKET WITHOUT EVEN TRYING!! For someone who is fresh to the game, trinkets are things you get excited over when you finally get one. I remember back in the day of being 40 with only the pvp trinket equipped and an engineer thing with my priest. My other characters didn't get their second trinket until 42 when they ran ZF and got the carrot to go along with their pvp trinket. This was the case for people even in BC. Now with heirloom trinkets, you have to decide between 2 heirloom trinkets, an heirloom trinket combined with an engineering trinket, an heirloom trinket combined with the new BOE crafted ones, or some combo of the pvp trinket with the BOEs/engineer/heirloom one. Most people go for the pvp trinket of some type (heirloom pvp trinket or standard pvp one) and an heirloom or engineering (if the pick up engineering). Simply taking a trinket out of the decision because you already get it makes the job so much easier and better. You never have to worry about not having a pvp trinket equipped simply because its always active on you.

4. WHOEVER SAID THEY GO FOR PERSONALITY JUST DOESN'T WANT TO ADMIT ITS ALL ABOUT THE LOOKS!!! Seriously of the Alliance races you have just two that aren't ugly beyond belief. Night Elf and human are the "pretty" races of the Alliance. Say what you want about all the other races but they're all just some form of defunked rejects. Don't kid yourself if you think the dwarves aren't short, fat, and just utterly disgusting. Even if you had some kind of midget fetish irl, I'm pretty sure midget fetish doesn't translate into short & pleasantly plump. Of the draenei, the females are the only ones that are somewhat bearable even if they have goat hoves and half a tail hanging out of their butt. Rtwo if you honestly think that a 1/2 man 1/2 goat with an octopus attached to his chin that is the near perfect definition of "barrel-chested" is "imo the best for priest" then you're one sick f*** who has a warped view on what looks good...then again beauty is in the eye of the beholders but when the majority feels something is "fugly" then its a safe assumption to say that.

To be quite honest, if I had to redo my priest all over again I would make a human instead of my UD and then just faction change to UD after I got exalted with everyone...or concider staying human for the perks they get at 80 still.

Quote Originally Posted by Rtwo
    i'm fairly positive that the horde 5 lvls above you can still see you, unless for some reason he hasnt seen you and doesnt come close.
    I failed to made it obvious, but that was my thought
    And still, if he see you, mount up, run away, if he follows; run behind a corner and shadowmeld

But my points was just for leveling

Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike

I google and search forums until I find up to date information. I don't ever ask questions directly in a forum, I always find the info myself, no matter how long it takes. Just gets a little frustrating to see a million threads like this.
    Personal site: http://fuh-q.com
    My Kitteh's personal site: http://kitteh.in

If you want to wait the gnome +int racial will be great for disc. Of course thats hoping they dont change the racials which they said they might

other than that female dwarf for the hotness

Since racials are set to change with Cat, I'd go with whatever you think looks best :P

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy-j
    (almost every grp quest ingame are soloable now)
    not for priests unless you wait until you're 5 levels above it

Quote Originally Posted by Kentukyfried
    Or in a sticky at the top of this forum...

Anyway since race change is in, just go with what you think looks best. You'll be happier that way and if you really like a racial, or after Cataclysm you see a new uber racial, you can switch. Dwarf is the general choice for Arena, Human is the best 'all around' choice for healing, Draenei are space-goat bastards who allow the Alliance to gear for 1% less hit, Night Elf is... okay.. Priest doesn't get as much out of the pseudo-vanish as other classes. Then switch to Gnome in Cataclysm and bite some ankles.

Thanks for the help everyone, I guess I should say that if I ever get it to 80 then it'll be my 4th lvl 80, I just don't know anything about priests.

And kentuckyfried please go somewhere else if my thread bothers you, alternatively you could just bite me.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77
    4. WHOEVER SAID THEY GO FOR PERSONALITY JUST DOESN'T WANT TO ADMIT ITS ALL ABOUT THE LOOKS!!! Seriously of the Alliance races you have just two that aren't ugly beyond belief. Night Elf and human are the "pretty" races of the Alliance. Say what you want about all the other races but they're all just some form of defunked rejects. Don't kid yourself if you think the dwarves aren't short, fat, and just utterly disgusting. Even if you had some kind of midget fetish irl, I'm pretty sure midget fetish doesn't translate into short & pleasantly plump. Of the draenei, the females are the only ones that are somewhat bearable even if they have goat hoves and half a tail hanging out of their butt. Rtwo if you honestly think that a 1/2 man 1/2 goat with an octopus attached to his chin that is the near perfect definition of "barrel-chested" is "imo the best for priest" then you're one sick f*** who has a warped view on what looks good...then again beauty is in the eye of the beholders but when the majority feels something is "fugly" then its a safe assumption to say that.
    I....wow.... there are so many quote worthy tidbits in this. My favorite is the caveat on "eye of the beholder."

...then again beauty is in the eye of the beholders but when the majority feels something is "fugly" then its a safe assumption to say that.
    Translation:
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, except when I cannot conceive that someone could think something I think is ugly is beautiful. When that happens I assume that the majority agrees with me. Because I perceive that the majority is against them, they loose their opinion on what is beautiful and should conform to my opinion. Therefore, beauty is in the eye of the beholder if the beholder agrees with me, if not they are dumb.

Priceless.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-
    ]
    I....wow.... there are so many quote worthy tidbits in this. My favorite is the caveat on "eye of the beholder."
    The point I was making in the many descriptions I put were simply to point out general observations that an average person could/would make who didn't even know anything about the game. Elves in nearly every type of lore out there are "beautiful" or "heavenly" or "pretty" creatures that typically have a high spirtuality/magical "racial" to them in addition to being excellent bowsmen and one of the closer race of creatures to the humans. You want some proof? Take a look at just about any fantasy book, fantasy movie, mytical game out there. Humans are normally portrayed as being...well human. They can be beautiful or scarred or anything you would find in any human being on this Earth. Much like the typical stereotype of dwarves in mytical/magical lores, WoW's dwarves are drunken, searching for lost/burried treasure in the world, short, fat (not slightly overweight but FAT), tempermental or angry(take a look at some of the dwarf emotes if you want examples), and their men have full beards. As for our wonderful draenei, the description I posted was a mere objective based observation that anyone could see. They are shades of blue, part man, part goat (or a goat looking animal), have horns (which feeds more into the "part goat" look to them), have tails, and the men are barrel-chested (image search it if you don't know what barrel-chested looks like or means but its pretty self-explanitory sounding) and have an octopus/squid tentacles thing coming from their chin.

Sure I made some pretty frank or blunt statements or descriptions in there but that was the point. I was exaggerating known/easily viewed details to make a point.

Translation:
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, except when I cannot conceive that someone could think something I think is ugly is beautiful. When that happens I assume that the majority agrees with me. Because I perceive that the majority is against them, they loose their opinion on what is beautiful and should conform to my opinion. Therefore, beauty is in the eye of the beholder if the beholder agrees with me, if not they are dumb.

Priceless.
    All my comment about beauty being in the eye of the beholder but even though "you" can find beauty in something that everyone else finds ugly doesn't change the simple fact that its still ugly to the majority while a minority find it beautiful or that there are valid arguements for why something could be classified/called ugly. Take a look at the definition of ugly: "very unattractive or unpleasant to look at; offensive to the sense of beauty; displeasing in appearance." and pay close attention to the underlined part. I'm not trying to be politically correct in any way, shape, or form when I say these things but I'm not one of those people who in RL feel that everything needs to be handled with kid gloves in life. While you may find beauty in that person who blew off half his face from a shotgun he was trying to clean while it was loaded then fell into a shredder and had both of his arms ripped off and while running back to the house stepped on a bear trap that ended with a result of that leg being amputated, I would find that unpleasant to look at therefor by definition I would find that person ugly...oh noes call the PC police on me. I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in finding that person "unpleasant to look at and I'm sure there are people out there who would frankly say that person was indeed ugly.

Does that make me a bad person? Nope. Does you finding that person pretty or beautiful make you a better person than me? Nope. Beauty is defined by the person looking at something hense the meaning of the phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". The norm of beauty is ever changing (norm being "standard, model, or pattern regarded as typical") as society that defines norms is ever changing and the norm of beauty changes from area to area and ethnicity to ethinicy. In the white Anglo community the norm of beauty for women is slender, some curves, medium to large breasts, long hair, and young. In the Latin and black communities that's typically not what they concider to be beautiful. Women in those communities who are more curvatious and what the white Anglo community would even concider "fat" is more desired. Larger hips and rears are to be desired over the larger breasts (again generalized statement & not always the case for either communities but we're talking about norms).

Just because you find something beautiful doesn't make that the truth fully. It could be said that its beautiful to you but when everyone else says that its not, that's what the norm has been deemed therefor that "thing" is both beautiful and ugly at the same time with the majority finding it ugly.

Now that I'm done with the wall of text, psychology, and sociology lessons, I'll end it with this last statement. I fully stand behind what I said as truth no matter how offensive you find my frankness or disagree with it because it doesn't change the facts.

Wait for the expansion and then go Gnome.