Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Lay on Hand messing up the tank?

Sorry if I'm ranting or anything just wanted my voice heard

but doesn't the new changes to Lay on hands mess up Holy to Prot Paladins, i mean if i use my oh-shit-button "LoH" on a pala tank id basically forcefully remove one of his own CDs, ofc I'm only looking at this from a raiding PoV, i don't play ret or prot much on my paladin but so wouldn't know how they will react to this change, But i would say put it in deep holy to not cause forbearance like what they did with sacred shield.

sorry for misspelling a few words

Re: Lay on Hand messing up the tank?

It's ok.

Yeaaa your gonna be ok

That "Oh shit button" made killing a pally impossible.

Once again, Blizzard uses the paladin band-aid Forbearance to completely fuck shit up. The OP is 100% right, this is going to screw with raiding prot paladins in a big way. Let me give you an example:

Prot paladin uses their version of Shield wall - Divine Protection - to live through boss large hit #1. Holy Paladin uses his only ohshit button(compare it to NS in a raiding environment - they even buffed it to reduce physical damage taken when specced holy) only to find out that forbearance keeps him from using it on the tank. Paladin tank dies.

I get that Blizzard doesn't want paladins dominating rated bgs with their 20 minute instafullhealth button... but they're doing it the wrong way yet again. Thanks, morons.

No one likes paladins or DKs, I am sorry.

But, in all seriousness, LOH is overpowered for PVE.

Imho, it did need the nerf bat.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Gindry

From a tanking cooldown, it can be seen as underpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by tjanson
    Once again, Blizzard uses the paladin band-aid Forbearance to completely fuck shit up. The OP is 100% right, this is going to screw with raiding prot paladins in a big way. Let me give you an example:

Prot paladin uses their version of Shield wall - Divine Protection - to live through boss large hit #1. Holy Paladin uses his only ohshit button(compare it to NS in a raiding environment - they even buffed it to reduce physical damage taken when specced holy) only to find out that forbearance keeps him from using it on the tank. Paladin tank dies.

I get that Blizzard doesn't want paladins dominating rated bgs with their 20 minute instafullhealth button... but they're doing it the wrong way yet again. Thanks, morons.
    Instead of raging, go to their forum and suggest a solution.

This can easily be fixed by changed the mechanic to "If Forbearance is active on you, you aren't allowed to use LoH on yourself. But you may still use it on someone else who has Forbearance active."

Now go, and fly, do something useful with your time instead of

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    From a tanking cooldown, it can be seen as underpowered.
    40-50k self heal as a tank is a bit much when paired with ardent defender.

Though forbearance when using tier set bonus is 1 minutes 30 seconds so its not as bad.
    Because some players aren't looking for anything logical, like loot. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some players just want to watch the group fail.

Quote Originally Posted by tjanson

Once again a player QQs without really thinking it through. Because you can self-cast again, what will happen with good players is the prot pally will LoH himself if it's off cooldown, or otherwise use bubblewall.

The holy pally will then have LoH ready to go to save the warrior offtank, who actually NEEDS an oh-shit button to heal because he doesn't have Holy Cheat Death.
    Ultralisk-Nagrand / Táne-Nagrand / Wuggles-Nagrand / Koras-Thaurrisan / Dieselsun-Thaurissan / Bezoar-Thaurissan

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Gindry

Would u mind filling this one out a bit and tell us what is OP about LoH in PvE?
    Because i really don't see any OP-ness in it...
    Blizz has now officially fucked up LoH.
    Summergale 85 Paladin - Holy/Prot dual specced.
    The Insane Progress:
    Steamweedle: Exalted (done: 999/1000)
    Bloodsail: Honored (done: 1618/12000)
    Darkmoon: Friendly (in progress: 275/6000)
    Ravenholdt: Revered (in progres: 4000/21000)

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Moshy
    40-50k self heal as a tank is a bit much when paired with ardent defender.

Though forbearance when using tier set bonus is 1 minutes 30 seconds so its not as bad.
    Yes, but it is using it that is the problem. Use it too early and you waste it, use it too late and you are dead.

10+ Year Old Account

totally waiting for this to F up a guilds run. A healer sees a prot pally going down, panics and hits the pally with a LOH, forbearance occurs. Shortly after the prot finds himself in a situaiton where he needs to blow Divine Protection and is unable to do so. Guild wipes GG.

"Stop," said a loud booming voice. And Rhonin turned around to see it was Bolvar Fordragon, but he was all burned up and shit. He took the helm from Tirion. "I can take no comfort anymore, in the world of the living, for Arthas has burned my genitals off. I shall bear the burden. I shall be the jailer of the damned." - Legendary Knaak Thread

The only thing overpowered about Lay on Hands is glyphing it for 8k Mana as Holy.

LoH as holy is the only way to give the tank the damage reduction buff all the other healers just "Get" and it seems very silly to me that it is now getting pushed even MORESO off being used for other people and saving it for the paladin themselve or other heals for the mana return.

Either way, this is still PTR and I fully expect to see more changes involved with it. Don't go crazy, just understand they change it to see how it works and peoples reactions and opinions on how it works.

The biggest problem with this is as people have noted that it turns the tank's oh-shit button into somebody else's oh-fuck button, in that after they use it you will be. Personally I'll be really sad to see LoH screwed with - it's an iconic ability of pallies - but seems like some change is coming.

They have a few obvious options that spring to mind
    • Make only self-cast LoH cause forbearance
    • Make prot able to self-target with LoH via some deep talent, but nobody else and not have LoH cause forbearance
    • Make holy able to cast LoH without causing forbearance, but nobody else
    • Make LoH only cause forbearance in BGs
    • Radically change LoH by either decreasing the amount healed, making it a HoT, etc

Which they should pick I suppose depends on exactly who they're trying to nerf or what context they consider LoH to be OP. The current PTR solution is just ugly though, truly profoundly ugly.

I've never really seen LoH as OP in PvE, in fact I find very long CD abilities like that interesting because people can be so conservative about using them and it takes a good player to really know when to pop it and when to hold back.

This part confuses me a little:

"Hand of Protection, Divine Shield, Divine Protection have been modified to include Lay on Hands."

So, if I'm reading that right, does that mean that every time I use Hand of Protection, it will cast Lay on Hands as well, if it's on cooldown? Example: Did an onyxia a couple days ago. Had a mage that did excellent DPS but didn't understand the concept of "stand in the DK tank's Death and Decay when the whelps come out". Whelps come out, head straight for him, so I HoP'd him. Problem solved. He hadn't actually taken any damage yet, though, so he certainly didn't need my LoH.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    This part confuses me a little:

"Hand of Protection, Divine Shield, Divine Protection have been modified to include Lay on Hands."

So, if I'm reading that right, does that mean that every time I use Hand of Protection, it will cast Lay on Hands as well, if it's on cooldown? Example: Did an onyxia a couple days ago. Had a mage that did excellent DPS but didn't understand the concept of "stand in the DK tank's Death and Decay when the whelps come out". Whelps come out, head straight for him, so I HoP'd him. Problem solved. He hadn't actually taken any damage yet, though, so he certainly didn't need my LoH.
    no, what it means is that if you use Hand of Protection, Divine Shield, Divine Protection you will be unable to use LoH, and vice-versa. If you use LoH you wont be able to use Hand of Protection, Divine Shield, Divine Protection until forbearance is off.. meaning you'd better hope someone else doesn't hit you with a LoH cuz you will lose the ability to use your own cds on yourself.

"Stop," said a loud booming voice. And Rhonin turned around to see it was Bolvar Fordragon, but he was all burned up and shit. He took the helm from Tirion. "I can take no comfort anymore, in the world of the living, for Arthas has burned my genitals off. I shall bear the burden. I shall be the jailer of the damned." - Legendary Knaak Thread

I understand that as the result of LoH having forbearance now, but I don't think that's what the statement in the prot section means. It says those three prot spells have been "modified".

what it means is they are fing up pally tanks yet again.

and what they mean by same cd is if i cast hop on someone i cant use loh on them.
    it doesnt give forbearance to the user but to the person it is cast on.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Rurikar
    The only thing overpowered about Lay on Hands is glyphing it for 8k Mana as Holy.
    How is that OP? Blizz obviously intended for this to be something to do in order to regain mana. Because if they didn't want it to be that way, they would: 1) never have made the glyph or 2) hotfixed it a long time ago...
    Summergale 85 Paladin - Holy/Prot dual specced.
    The Insane Progress:
    Steamweedle: Exalted (done: 999/1000)
    Bloodsail: Honored (done: 1618/12000)
    Darkmoon: Friendly (in progress: 275/6000)
    Ravenholdt: Revered (in progres: 4000/21000)