Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Shadowpriest resists on boss?

Heya all

I have an alt shadow priest where i get confused about now...

I have 13 % Hit chance on her and still a part
    of my mindblast and mind flay damage gets resisted on a boss

I see alot of numbers fly by like:

Mindblast : 2391 <492 Resisted>
    Mind Flay : 924 <241 Resisted>
    Mind Flay : 1123
    Mind Flay : 1236
    Mind Flay : 1043 <152 Resisted>
    Mind Flay : 984 <195 Resisted>
    Mind Flay : 928 <232 Resisted>
    Mind Blast : 5923 (Critical)

Accourding to a Guildie the bosses shouldnt get any resists in my gear.

Anyone knows whats the problem?

Re: Shadowpriest resists on boss?

Theres two types of resists, one being partial the other being full resists. When your hit capped you cant get a full resist, but you can get the partial ones your getting.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Weena2
    Theres two types of resists, one being partial the other being full resists. When your hit capped you cant get a full resist, but you can get the partial ones your getting.
    Any way to get rid of that aswell?

Thats alot of DPS lost when i see above.

Hit works to reduce the number of misses you see. These are the full resists the person above me speaks about. Your spell misses its target and does 0 dmg. The spellhit cap is 17% fyi. When you get to 17% you won't see any more full resists.

The partial resists however have nothing to do with Hit chance, misses or full resists. Because the boss is considered to be 3 levels higher than you, he has a base spellschool resistance. This is something like 12 resistance to all schools or something. Think of it like a mini druid buff just because he's higher level than you. Because of this small resistance, some of your spells will see some of their dmg resisted. This is what the person above referred to as partial resists. These can not be reduced by stacking Hit.

Just as some extra info, Spell Penetration does not work to reduce these partial resists either. Spell Penetration only works on extra spell resistance gotten through buffs such as Shadow Protection and Mark of the Wild. The spell resistance the boss has is gained through level difference, and can thus not be reduced by Spell Penetration.

If you're thinking that this is wrong compared to say melee, then know that the level difference of a boss also gives melee Glancing Blows. These are basically white hits that partially miss their target and do reduced dmg. They work almost the same as partial spell resists.

Partial resists are a normal part of boss mechanics every caster has to deal with, sort of like glancing blows for melee (I think?). Resists can be 0%, 10%, 20%, etc. up to a full resist. Bosses do not (I think) go over 20% resist and I believe resist on average 5% of overall spell damage they take.

Read through http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t44675-r...chanics_wotlk/ for a better explanation.

Beg a lock to do CoE

Quote Originally Posted by Kzasch
    Beg a lock to do CoE
    Quote Originally Posted by rohendar
    Just as some extra info, Spell Penetration does not work to reduce these partial resists either. Spell Penetration only works on extra spell resistance gotten through buffs such as Shadow Protection and Mark of the Wild. The spell resistance the boss has is gained through level difference, and can thus not be reduced by Spell Penetration.

Deleted

Strange part is...

On My Death Knight Tank i get no Glancing Blows at all..

Quote Originally Posted by Ladinn
    Strange part is...

On My Death Knight Tank i get no Glancing Blows at all..
    Glancing Blows only occur on mobs 4 levels above you, IIRC (assuming your weapon skill is capped).

Partial resists are a part of the game.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by c4tuna
    Glancing Blows only occur on mobs 4 levels above you, IIRC (assuming your weapon skill is capped).

Hmm ok then, Atleast i know now that i aint the only person having that.
    thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by c4tuna

Crushing Blows only occur 4 levels above (up from 3 in BC, when it was a tankkiller)
    Glancing Blows occur 3 levels above = bosses.

from wowwiki:

Experimentally, players using Recount have consistently seen 24% of their melee auto-attacks against Raid Boss monsters be glancing blows.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Deleted

But How come it doesnt occur to my Death Knight Tank on a Boss

Yeah, I was wrong.

You're probably just not seeing them? Show me a WWS.

you dont see "glancing" text floating. just sometimes your white attack may do less damage and you can see word "glancing" only in the combat log
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by procne
    you dont see "glancing" text floating. just sometimes your white attack may do less damage and you can see word "glancing" only in the combat log
    Im useing a Addon like Scrolling Combat Text and with my enhance shaman i see 1482 <218 Glacing>

Glancing Blows don't affect abilities and thus have no influence on Runestrike, which is probably the main-reason for you to not see those. (Not many melee-swings in general + most of them being Runestrike---> 3-4 Glancing Blows per minute or so.)

You can get rid of partial resists with "spell penetration". It's a _very_ rare stat nowdays though. (only available on the gladiator's grimoire at higher item levels as far as I can tell)
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Quote Originally Posted by zox
    You can get rid of partial resists with "spell penetration". It's a _very_ rare stat nowdays though. (only available on the gladiator's grimoire at higher item levels as far as I can tell)
    Holy crap, so much false information in this.

Partial resist is something you can't do anything about, it's based on your level and the targets level, there will be always partial resist on bosses since they are +3 level, aka "orange".

Spell penetration is lowering the targets resistance, and right now almost no bosses got resistance except a very very few (Rage winterchill got high frost resistance, Supremus fire) but these can be overridden by Curse of Elements. It's a pure pvp stat, to reduce the resistance provided by buffs (auras, Motw, shadow resistance buff from priest, etc.) has nothing to do with pve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladinn
    But How come it doesnt occur to my Death Knight Tank on a Boss
    Because only white attacks actually can have Glancing Blows. Special abilities, such as Plague Strike and Rune Strike, do not have Glancing Blows.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~