Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Shadowpriest resists on boss?

Quote Originally Posted by Weena2
    Theres two types of resists, one being partial the other being full resists. When your hit capped you cant get a full resist, but you can get the partial ones your getting.
    No

There are 2 types of resist... resists attributed to spell resistance and resists attributed to spells missing. While we use the same word they mean completely different things.

Resists due to spell resistence

These come in the form of partial resists and full resists. The amount of resistance determins the % chance of a partial resist or full resist. Full resists are only possible with vast amounts of spell resistence.

Resists due to spells missing

These occur when you don't have enough hit rating or perhaps caused by a debuff that reduces your % chance to hit. The word resist is a poor word, it simply means the spell missed.

Now, the reason the OP is seeing partial resists is that there is a formula which gives any mob that is superior to your level some resistance to all schools that cannot be reduced or countered in any ways, ie. spell pen or CoE. That small amount of resistance is equal to about 3% spell mitigation over the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Scort
    Partial resists are a normal part of boss mechanics every caster has to deal with, sort of like glancing blows for melee (I think?). Resists can be 0%, 10%, 20%, etc. up to a full resist. Bosses do not (I think) go over 20% resist and I believe resist on average 5% of overall spell damage they take.

Read through http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t44675-r...chanics_wotlk/ for a better explanation.
    dot classes just have more chances for more partial resists though

there is no limit to how many partial resists per minute a boss can deal to you and from what i've read, there is no set resist percentage so you don't end up with the same resist amount as a mage spamming their less frequent but more powerful spells even though you both do similar damage

you could end up with 20% more of your damage being resisted and you have more of a chance to do so considering you have lots of tiny "resist rolls" that happen on every tick of every dot

and the resist/glancing blow rate is not the same either, not a coincidence that every melee class is near the top half of the charts while the bottom is made up of all casters

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by rohendar
    When you get to 17% you won't see any more full resists.
    Please don't ever tell a shadow priest this. The hit that we need is 289 (263 if you've got a draenei with you) since no self respecting shadow priest would pass up shadow focus and misery for something else. We get 6% from talents.

As for the "resist" that you're seeing....

You will always see some amount of resistance on any spell you cast. Everyone has some sort of internal resistance to spells. Some mobs have a higher fire resistance while weaker frost resistance (IE: fire 7%, nature 6%, shadow 6%, frost 5%). Some mobs have the same resistance for all spells (more typical). This has nothing to do with your chance to hit them. A spell that fails to hit is shown as a miss, while misses caused by a target's resistance is shows as a resist.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by greysin

there is no limit to how many partial resists per minute a boss can deal to you and from what i've read, there is no set resist percentage so you don't end up with the same resist amount as a mage spamming their less frequent but more powerful spells even though you both do similar damage

you could end up with 20% more of your damage being resisted and you have more of a chance to do so considering you have lots of tiny "resist rolls" that happen on every tick of every dot
    lol...I'd like you see mathematically prove this theory of yours.

Deleted

I think partial resists work a bit like a cross between armor and glancing blows, so that magical users do not become too powerful on bosses with high armor.

Yes this is true, however the partial resist damage is percentaged based so it doesnt matter if we do lots of small damage or infrequent larget damage, a percentage is a percentage. Just to illustrate, assuming a 3% partial resist, 10 ticks of 100 damage will partially resist for the same as 1 nuke for 1000 damage.

If anything we are better off doing lots of tiny portions of damage because we are less likely to vary from the true percentage rate of partial resist. Think of it this way, if you were to flip a coin 10 times it wouldn't be out of the question to get heads 8 or 9 times which would suggest heads has an 80 or 90% chance. Flip a coin 1000 times and that result will be closer to 50%, flip a coin 10000000000 times and I guarantee it will be extremely close to 50% or so close it might as well be.

The more tests in a set of scores the more likely it will tend towards it's true probability.

and the resist/glancing blow rate is not the same either, not a coincidence that every melee class is near the top half of the charts while the bottom is made up of all casters
    This is irrelevant, melee and casters aren't balanced in a collective way that once partial resist and glancing blow mechanics are applied it seperates them. I agree that melee are higher on potential dps but I attrribute this to the fact that blizzard do not balance classes on tank n spank like the wow community does. Ie. they expect movement, they expect target switching etc. So for encounters that have movement in them they need to elevate melee dps in terms of tank n spank potential to account for the loss of dps in traveling time. Melee also have survivability issues and are expected to use GCDs on survival at times. So in the average encounter melee and ranged are similar but for encounters that melee can simply tank n spank they are way ahead. You view those encounters and simply state the 2 aren't balanced, but your definition of balance differs from blizzards.

Quote Originally Posted by Berner
    lol...I'd like you see mathematically prove this theory of yours.
    it's simple, a resist is based on a roll on every single damage application per target. it can resist from 0%-x% of the damage you deal, which is calculated based on talents, whether it's a crit or not, your buffs, etc

there is NO limit to how often it can resist, it's possible to resist 100% or 0% of your attacks

there is also no correlation between how much damage you do per attack adn how often it resists, it's just a random % of your damage that is resisted and this can happen on every attack

a pally has about 1/4 as many damage applications per minte as a dot class does. every dot tick is a damage app, every mind flay tick, every mind blast, etc

it's not uniform like procs per minute which is based on weapon speed, so that slow and fast weapons have about the same number of procs per minute.

mind blast doesn't have more of a chance to resist than one full application of SWP

each tick has the same chance as each mind blast, even though there are far more dot ticks than mind blasts every minute.

if you get unlucky, you can lose a LOT of damage. just more of a chance to resist more for dot classes. it's simple and really not that complicated

not a mathematical theory or anything, if you have dot class x which has 100 chances to resist as opposed to class X who has only 10, which is gonna have more resists? the dot class will.

why do you think aff locks do less damage than destro?

Deleted

it's simple, a resist is based on a roll on every single damage application per target. it can resist from 0%-x% of the damage you deal, which is calculated based on talents, whether it's a crit or not, your buffs, etc

there is NO limit to how often it can resist, it's possible to resist 100% or 0% of your attacks

there is also no correlation between how much damage you do per attack adn how often it resists, it's just a random % of your damage that is resisted and this can happen on every attack

a pally has about 1/4 as many damage applications per minte as a dot class does. every dot tick is a damage app, every mind flay tick, every mind blast, etc

it's not uniform like procs per minute which is based on weapon speed, so that slow and fast weapons have about the same number of procs per minute.

mind blast doesn't have more of a chance to resist than one full application of SWP

each tick has the same chance as each mind blast, even though there are far more dot ticks than mind blasts every minute.

if you get unlucky, you can lose a LOT of damage. just more of a chance to resist more for dot classes. it's simple and really not that complicated

not a mathematical theory or anything, if you have dot class x which has 100 chances to resist as opposed to class X who has only 10, which is gonna have more resists? the dot class will.

I was being sarcastic, and now I'm speechless. I thought percentage calculations were general knowledge.

You dont understand how resists work, i suggest you goto to EJ's and read up on it. They have a very good thread on how resist mechanics work.