Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Am I Tanking Correctly?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...roth&n=Kilevra

That's my gear, and I hit Def. Cap, and I've been running heroics, and only Heroics for weeks. I can't seem to get a Naxx, Maly, or OS group as a Tank. I've done all of these fights before as Ret (my Ret gear is FAR from being good) but it just seems people do not want me as a Tank. Is there any logic behind this? I keep threat on me, but I need to start getting into 25's and U-10's / ToC 10's if I want to progress, but I can't get any groups. Do I not have good enough gear/avoidance/health, whatever it may be, or are people just so far ahead of that content that they do not want to participate in it? I have been thinking about just going back to Holy, because I was raiding as Holy through OS and Naxx in the early days. I just enjoy seeing content ad bosses, gear isn't relevant to me, but I need it to progress. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Re: Am I Tanking Correctly?

First there are lots of missing enchants:
    Shoulders: PVP enchant (10000 Honor in Stormwind) or Hodir Reputation enchant (hard to get and not that much better)
    Cloak : 16 Def (Armor or 22 Agility if you're already Def crit capped)
    Chest : 22 Def (Hp if you're already Def Crit capped)
    Bracers : 40 Stamina
    Gloves: 20 Hit (Threat) or 18 Stamina (Health) or 20 Agility (Avoidance)
    Belt: Eternal Belt Buckle with a 24 or 30 stamina gem
    Legs: 55 Stamina 22 Agility Armor Kit
    Boots : 22 Stamina
    Weapon : Blade Warding (Avoidance) or Accuracy (threat) or Weapon Chain (Cheap).

Next your gems are a mess:
    Pure stamina in Blue slots
    Stamina/Def in yellow slots (if you apply the enchants as described above you ought to be Def-Crit-Softcapped so no need for pure def gems)
    Agility/Stamina in red slots

Never ever gem orange gems (like that parry/def thingie there) or pure def (unless you really can't reach the Def-Crit-Softcap in another way)

Finally your spec/glyphs fails hard:
    You need Glyph of Divine Plea
    Seals of the Pure is not that great and those 3 points you spent in holy are uber crap.
    You don't have Touched by the Light

take this one:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala..._9eYb,Hr,10676
    3rd Glyph is personal choice : Hammer of the Righteous or Righteous Defense are decent here.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

A large part of the problem is that people want people to massively outgear content when they invite them to raids; they want tier nine geared tanks for tier seven content, just because they know it will be easy. They don't want to have to work.

And while this might be reasonably stupid, it's not unsurprising. It's not difficult to outgear tier seven content from running heroics (a lot) and buying close to a full set of gear with emblems of conquest/valor/heroism. Hell, you can slowly buy your first tier nine gear just from doing the daily heroic every day.

And, while you didn't ask about it, some comments on your talents and glyphs (consider it an added bonus):

Lose the two points in Divine Intellect in the Holy tree, that 4% isn't worth it. Similarly, you don't need fear duration reduction for PvE content, so take out that point as well.

Move the five points in Divinity to Holy Strength (15% additional strength is a huge threat and sizeable mitigation increase, this talent is a required tanking talent). Put the three points you had in the Holy tree that you've now taken out into Touched by the Light (down near the bottom of the Protection tree), it's another sizeable threat increase and another required tanking talent.

Drop the five points in Benediction in the Retribution tree, and move three into Heart of the Crusader, two into Vindication. While you're respeccing, you could also move one point from Spiritual Attunement (so you're 1/2) in Protection to Pursuit of Justice in Retribution, up to you.

As for glyphs, I'd swap the Glyph of Righteous Defense for the Glyph of Divine Plea. Keep the other two as they are.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    First there are lots of missing enchants:
    Shoulders: PVP enchant (10000 Honor in Stormwind) or Hodir Reputation enchant (hard to get and not that much better)
    Cloak : 16 Def (Armor or 22 Agility if you're already Def crit capped)
    Chest : 22 Def (Hp if you're already Def Crit capped)
    Bracers : 40 Stamina
    Gloves: 20 Hit (Threat) or 18 Stamina (Health) or 20 Agility (Avoidance)
    Belt: Eternal Belt Buckle with a 24 or 30 stamina gem
    Legs: 55 Stamina 22 Agility Armor Kit
    Boots : 22 Stamina
    Weapon : Blade Warding (Avoidance) or Accuracy (threat) or Weapon Chain (Cheap).

Next your gems are a mess:
    Pure stamina in Blue slots
    Stamina/Def in yellow slots (if you apply the enchants as described above you ought to be Def-Crit-Softcapped so no need for pure def gems)
    Agility/Stamina in red slots

Never ever gem orange gems (like that parry/def thingie there) or pure def (unless you really can't reach the Def-Crit-Softcap in another way)

Finally your spec/glyphs fails hard:
    You need Glyph of Divine Plea
    Seals of the Pure is not that great and those 3 points you spent in holy are uber crap.
    You don't have Touched by the Light

take this one:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala..._9eYb,Hr,10676
    3rd Glyph is personal choice : Hammer of the Righteous or Righteous Defense are decent here.
    this, but also max out your professions. you are missing another 120 pure STAM here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardolan

Move the five points in Divinity to Holy Strength (15% additional strength is a huge threat and sizeable mitigation increase, this talent is a required tanking talent).
    Oh I didn't even see that ~

Well whatever there are enough reasons, why I would never pick the OP as a tank for any Raid higher than Naxx.

Well thanks guys! I appreciate all the criticism (some was harsh, but how would I learn, right? I didn't know there was so much that I was doing wrong. I will get working on that as soon as I get home from work tonight. I appreciate the help! If there's anything else wrong I'll let ya know

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    Oh I didn't even see that ~

Well whatever there are enough reasons, why I would never pick the OP as a tank for any Raid higher than Naxx. U : HoL
    fixed

i just hope you use SoV (SoCorr), i stopped counting the pala tank whining about their agro using seal of wisdom.. no really.. :-X

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora
    fixed

i just hope you use SoV (SoCorr), i stopped counting the pala tank whining about their agro using seal of wisdom.. no really.. :-X
    But Command is better....!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    But Command is better....!
    command better?
    single target:NO
    3 mobs:NO

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kayvas
    command better?
    single target:NO
    3 mobs:NO
    Here you dropped this.

Kayvas recieves loot: [Sarcasm Detection Hat].

Here you dropped this.

Kayvas recieves loot: [Sarcasm Detection Hat].
    fixed

Here you dropped this.

Kayvas recieves loot: [Broken Sarcasm Detection Hat].
    Actually..
    Considering he dropped it, it's his, so it's probably broken.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorg
    Actually..
    Considering he dropped it, it's his, so it's probably broken.
    Touché

Prot Pallies do not use Blade Ward btw, Mongoose would be best.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aman%27Thul&n=Vuldin

Quote Originally Posted by laur0511
    cummunism is an utopia that cannot be applied to real life. fortunately, video games aren't real life; therefore it can be applied there, making things more fair.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by dogpie
    4% Parry > 2% dodge?

Note: Im not sure how much dodge you get from Agility, Im too lazy at the moment to compute its algorithm.

Does all this 'phat lewt droppin' suggest our kind and noble paladin of justice Ronark murdered Kayvas?!1

Will Kilevra learn to properly enchant?

AND WILL HP consumer support replace my harddrive a mere 4 months after purchase? Tune in next time children, same class forums, all new trolls!
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Hohenhe%C3%ADm
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Caim
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottK15
    skill>penis/vag

15+ Year Old Account

im pretty sure since the 3.2 that mongoose isnt worth much
    and since i dont see any tank with it anymore (except druid)

4% Parry > 2% dodge?

Note: Im not sure how much dodge you get from Agility, Im too lazy at the moment to compute its algorithm.
    Well..
    The parry does disappear when you parry(though it also causes damage), while Mongoose very high uptime and doesn't disappear at random.

I'd say Mongoose is probably the avoidance enchant of choice if you want it cheaper(More efficient if you're not sporting end-game weapons, but heroic dungeon weapons instead)
    Although that might depend on whether your server has very cheap TBC mats or not.

Blade ward probably isn't that expensive anymore, either, though.. But I've seen it go for 1k or so.. Which is pretty high.

Being a Death Knight, I'm not that up to date with weapon enchants, but that's the last price I saw on blade ward scrolls. Sounds grossly overpriced, though..

Well..
    The parry does disappear when you parry(though it also causes damage), while Mongoose very high uptime and doesn't disappear at random.

I'd say Mongoose is probably the avoidance enchant of choice if you want it cheaper(More efficient if you're not sporting end-game weapons, but heroic dungeon weapons instead)
    Although that might depend on whether your server has very cheap TBC mats or not.

Blade ward probably isn't that expensive anymore, either, though.. But I've seen it go for 1k or so.. Which is pretty high.

Being a Death Knight, I'm not that up to date with weapon enchants, but that's the last price I saw on blade ward scrolls. Sounds grossly overpriced, though..
    Scrolls will be expensive in general, especially weapon enchant ones. On my server you will see the scrolls going foor 900-upwards of 1100g and the mats may cost you anywhere from 400-640g for bladeward.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Hohenhe%C3%ADm
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Caim
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottK15
    skill>penis/vag

First off, I use Blade Ward on my tanking weapon http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45076 I'd link my armory for it but I logged out in my ret offsepc gear. I love the enchant because the effect from it stacks. I've seen it get up to 3 stacks, dealing approx. 2k damage upon a successful parry (which can crit, I believe) And the proc rate for it went way up, so it's a viable enchant now.

Well..

I spent approx 600g. for the mats for mine, but that was about 4 months ago so the prices may have gone down.
    We are the internet we dont care about you. We just want to poke you with a pointy stick
    Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post
    Furthermore to hate gearscore for 'denying you access to raids' is like hating your credit score for denying you access to a loan.