Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Am I Tanking Correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Kilevra
    Do I not have good enough gear/avoidance/health, whatever it may be, or are people just so far ahead of that content that they do not want to participate in it?
    Your gear is fine up to Uld10. My pally's roughly at the same point as you and I'm starting to look for Ulduar pugs but haven't found one yet... I think the problem is a lot of people are farming heroics for EoC gear and then jumping straight into ToC10 (which is probably also why my toc10 pugs usually fail, the people in them have been facerolling easymode heroics since they hit 80 and haven't ever actually raided something which will hurt them if they suck).
    Ultralisk-Nagrand / Táne-Nagrand / Wuggles-Nagrand / Koras-Thaurrisan / Dieselsun-Thaurissan / Bezoar-Thaurissan

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    4% Parry > 2% dodge?

Note: Im not sure how much dodge you get from Agility, Im too lazy at the moment to compute its algorithm.
    If you want the best pure avoidance enchant mongoose is still probably the best. It gives somewhere around 1.5% dodge but it doesn't disappear like blade ward.

Don't get me wrong, blade ward is a great enchant and although I have never used it, I would put it on my next tanking wep (trying to get ony sword). Blade ward is also a pretty nice little threat boost :P
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by nwo
    If you want the best pure avoidance enchant mongoose is still probably the best. It gives somewhere around 1.5% dodge but it doesn't disappear like blade ward.

Don't get me wrong, blade ward is a great enchant and although I have never used it, I would put it on my next tanking wep (trying to get ony sword). Blade ward is also a pretty nice little threat boost :P
    You get dodge, armor and critical strike chance from the Agility bonus of Mongoose. Not saying that Blade Ward isn't better, only that there are other things to consider.

Yep, if your gear is up to it and you got Bladeward, you can skip Armsman on gloves for some other nifty lil enchant. Seriously... even if I dug into theory craftign, I have a really really hard time understanding why old school enchants should in any way be as useful and new and uptodate enchants.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dunemaul&n=misazadia

Quote Originally Posted by misazadia
    you can skip Armsman on gloves for some other nifty lil enchant.
    Armsman sux anyway, the 2% threat boost is rather pointless when you have a 30%+ threat lead: 20 agi gives more Avoidance, 20 hit is better for threat and 18 stamina or 240 are better for EH ~_~

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    Armsman sux anyway, the 2% threat boost is rather pointless when you have a 30%+ threat lead: 20 agi gives more Avoidance, 20 hit is better for threat and 18 stamina or 240 are better for EH ~_~
    Armsman doesn't suck. 20 agility is not more avoidance, it's pretty much the same (less actually if you do not have kings). I would rather have the extra 2% threat so I can pop hand of salv (glyphed) on myself instead of trading it for an extra 10 armor :
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Armsman doesn't suck. 20 agility is not more avoidance, it's pretty much the same (less actually if you do not have kings). I would rather have the extra 2% threat so I can pop hand of salv (glyphed) on myself instead of trading it for an extra 10 armor :
    10 agility is roughly the same amount of avoidance as 10 parry rating, so it follows that 20 agility is considerably more avoidance than 10 parry rating. That 20 agility is also worth about 0.4% crit chance, and 40 armor (not the 10 that you seem to think). Agility vastly outweighs Armsman as a tanking enchant, needing the extra 2% threat from Armsman (even to use glyphed Hand of Salvation) either means you're vastly undergeared in comparison to your DPS or aren't tanking correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardolan
    10 agility is roughly the same amount of avoidance as 10 parry rating, so it follows that 20 agility is considerably more avoidance than 10 parry rating. That 20 agility is also worth about 0.4% crit chance, and 40 armor (not the 10 that you seem to think). Agility vastly outweighs Armsman as a tanking enchant, needing the extra 2% threat from Armsman (even to use glyphed Hand of Salvation) either means you're vastly undergeared in comparison to your DPS or aren't tanking correctly.
    Oh yeah my bad agility is 2x armor not 1/2. But anyways, 10 agility is nowhere near the same amount of avoidance as 10 parry rating. With my mongoose proc (120 agi) I get roughly 1.3% dodge without kings... Which means you need about ~92 agility for 1% dodge as opposed to needing only 45 parry rating to get 1% parry.

10+ Year Old Account

You need 33k unbuffed for Naxx10 these days!
    ...according to some lazy nubs that don't seem to realize they too were in shit gear once..

Asheowyn - Shandelzare - Anessa - Shandelzhare

No offense but I would never pick a guy who doesn't have any enchant, despite his class, his 245++ gear or spec.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

But anyways, 10 agility is nowhere near the same amount of avoidance as 10 parry rating.
    With my current gear, a 10 agility/15 stamina gem will give me about 0.12% dodge and a 10 parry/15 stamina gem will give me about 0.13% parry. Two agility gems (20 agility) would give me considerably more than 0.13% dodge.

10+ Year Old Account

*Clicks your link, checks your talents... Start laughing as hell*

The fail in that specc is HUGE. Won't help someone who isn't even clever enough to pick the correct talents in the bottoms of the trees. Dear lord.
    Vol'jin fanboy

Some talents need changing, i personally recommend seal of command for more AoE aggro. Maybe a change in glyphs would help to such as glyph of Divine plea which gives you a 3% dmg reduction while active and since your prot, divine plea refreshes whenever you get hit.

Here is my armory link: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...Millenn%C3%ADa

This is my Paladin's armory link, he hasn't been 80 for very long but he is my fourth level 80.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Shawaam
    Won't help someone who isn't even clever enough to pick the correct talents in the bottoms of the trees.
    For starters, you're a couple of pages too late. He's already been given plenty of advice.

Secondly, why not help him? It's not as if your advice is some limited commodity that you have to ration. Even if it were, you'd get more benefit from giving it to those who really need it, rather than saving it for those who don't.

I guess being a dick (and not actually proving that you know a damn thing yourself) is more satisfying.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Millennía
    Some talents need changing, i personally recommend seal of command for more AoE aggro. Maybe a change in glyphs would help to such as glyph of Divine plea which gives you a 3% dmg reduction while active and since your prot, divine plea refreshes whenever you get hit.

This is my Paladin's armory link, he hasn't been 80 for very long but he is my fourth level 80.
    This is probably all a repeat, but number one, don't listen to the quoted guy, if you need SoC for aoe threat as a pally you're doing it wrong, consencrate holy shield and hammer of rightneous is all you need (especially that hammer counts as physical melee hit on all targets therefore applying seal of vengeance on all of them) Thats more than enough.
    But as everyone said, no talents in the holy tree, you need divine stenght and touched by light, you dont need benediction, vindication+pursuit of justice is much better.
    Glyph of divine plea is mandatory as a 3% dmg reduction and it should always be up cause of guarded by light.
    The one right thing you did is not spec into reckoning which is our lowest tps talent and sucks cause of parry haste.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    -Nietzsche
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.

Quote Originally Posted by misazadia
    Yep, if your gear is up to it and you got Bladeward, you can skip Armsman on gloves for some other nifty lil enchant. Seriously... even if I dug into theory craftign, I have a really really hard time understanding why old school enchants should in any way be as useful and new and uptodate enchants.
    When you realize that a 2% increase in threat is meaningless when there's a massive threat lead between you and the next closest dps (and there will be such a threat lead unless you're doing something wrong). You compare 10 parry rating to the other available enchants.

18 stamina sticks out as a winner here. Yes, it's item budget is less then other options but if threat is really your issues there are more immediate problems then your enchants.

Since I've seen no mention of it here.

Are you using the 6-9-6 "rotation" of tanking?

Or is that outdated and I missed it?
    -----+-- [Thaddius] ++++++++

Just because you are unique, does not mean you are right.
    Ðoser of Illidan

Quote Originally Posted by Nalnik
    Since I've seen no mention of it here.

Are you using the 6-9-6 "rotation" of tanking?

Or is that outdated and I missed it?
    Again, I am really appreciative to everyone that has provided information that will help me, it goes a long way in knowing that ALOT needs fixed, and I will fix it based on all of the information given.

And yes, I have been using "9-6-9" when I tank, it just seems that I can't get groups, and I now know why

I will post a new armory link within the next couple days, just for a recheck of anything that is still wrong.

Oh yeah my bad agility is 2x armor not 1/2. But anyways, 10 agility is nowhere near the same amount of avoidance as 10 parry rating. With my mongoose proc (120 agi) I get roughly 1.3% dodge without kings... Which means you need about ~92 agility for 1% dodge as opposed to needing only 45 parry rating to get 1% parry.
    That's just wrong... you only need slightly more Agility than Dodge for 1% Dodge and you usually need less Dodge than Parry for 1% Avoidance.
    10 parry will never beat 20 agility and 2% threat is pointless...

Quote Originally Posted by Millennía

Why do you even post here if you have no clue....
    Glyph of Consecration is CRAP, because it destroys the 96969 rotation...
    No Judgements of the Just and no Vindication is just fail...
    Seal of Command will never beat Seal of Vengeance...

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    That's just wrong... you only need slightly more Agility than Dodge for 1% Dodge and you usually need less Dodge than Parry for 1% Avoidance.
    10 parry will never beat 20 agility and 2% threat is pointless...

Why do you even post here if you have no clue....
    Glyph of Consecration is CRAP, because it destroys the 96969 rotation...
    No Judgements of the Just and no Vindication is just fail...
    Seal of Command will never beat Seal of Vengeance...
    No Vindication can be dependent upon group makeup.