Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: Threat Problem as a Bear Tank

To the several people that have posted concerning their threat as a bear tank (especially to the one way over hit cap and with the huge expertise rating number):

With my current gear, I'm just over hit cap and just at expertise dodge cap. I can maintain 9-10k TPS relatively easily in our 25man raids, which brings every possible buff/debuff you can bring. My question is this: are you raids stacking caster DPS buffs and lacking melee DPS buffs? This is more of an issue in 10mans, but I've seen this in quite a few 25mans, also. If threat issues are not due to gear or rotation, it's generally buffs/debuffs. If you're lacking AP/Haste/Crit buffs and Armor/Crit/%Damage debuffs, those are also an essential part of a bear's TPS that get neglected more often than not. With my gear (you can armory me if you desire, I generally log in some sort of tanking gear), I'll see my crit around 47% w/o procs and AP at ~9k in bear when in a properly buffed raid. If your numbers are waaaaaaay lower than mine, then there might be a buff issue. If your numbers are very similar and your threat is really lower than mine, you're lacking debuffs or are the unluckiest tank ever. Those rascal paladins love giving me Wisdom over Might when I tank or pop a random BoP on me, just to see if I'm paying attention to my buffs and debuffs! ;D If you're missing these buffs or debuffs, especially in a 25man raid, then it would behoove you to bring it up with your raid leader since it's also a raid DPS issue. Don't let people get away with boosting their personal DPS at the expensive of lowering the entire raid's DPS if you're serious about raiding.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

I think he was referring to fights like gormok where the first tank builds up a lot of threat and the offtank has lots of threat when he taunts
    Me lazy reader. Just assumed it was the same guy that posted a threat rotation including growl before.
    Of course you can build aggro with taunt (like i said before, if you already lost it) but those situations are very boss specific and you still have to be able to keep the aggro. So while growl is nice to give you a head start on fights where someone else can do some threat for you it is by no means a part of a solid thread building strategy.

15+ Year Old Account

T9 2 piece set bonus helps a lot on threat. at least I'm experiencing that...

10+ Year Old Account

You'll see good paladins open up with Avenging Wrath and Avenger's Shield right off the bat, in situations where instant high threat is needed. Anub HM for example, is a nuke fest. Perhaps using beserk early in the rotation would help with the threat issues? mangle without any CD would I think produce alot of threat. Especially if you had maul on the same macro as mangle.

"Stop," said a loud booming voice. And Rhonin turned around to see it was Bolvar Fordragon, but he was all burned up and shit. He took the helm from Tirion. "I can take no comfort anymore, in the world of the living, for Arthas has burned my genitals off. I shall bear the burden. I shall be the jailer of the damned." - Legendary Knaak Thread

Quote Originally Posted by getefix
    If you have 48 expertise then you're either gemming for it or taking lower quality gear to get it. If you're not going to put stam in your reg sockets then put agility or agil/stam gems. If I push myself on a stationary fight I can get around 9k TPS without using Berserk.
    I'm currently at 56 expertise without gemming for it. I used to be feral MT, switched to Boomkin and my gear has been lacking upgrades. The few I got were all Expertise and thus I am now capped. It's a bit lol, but not really impossible to think of.