Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: is it fun to tank as paladin?

Quote Originally Posted by Copain
    We lack any sort of AOE taunt (Granted one of our taunts gets three targets) and our only real AOE for agro skill does not go right off, but takes a sec to tick and build threat. But once we have the threat, we can typically hold it well.
    Just to quote and comment on that, in heroic dungeons it's a lot easier to tank as a Warrior compared to a Paladin, Warriors have a lot better initial snap agro on multiple targets. Paladins have to run in there with Holy Shield up and Hammer of the Righteous, etc. This applies to groups with great DPS/AoE who start the second combat starts, not 3k dps etc. But in the long term our AoE threat is better, just takes a few seconds to get there, like Pestilence.

Single target tanking, our threat is great. We have the best initial single target threat because, as someone said, we can use all our moves right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Xylinia
    Yeah, if you like facerolling then Pally is for you, if you like a challenge then no.
    Yeah, Warriors are a shit ton harder, no spamming heroic strike or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

I did pally tanking , pre the major super boost we got in TBC.

And tbh, it was more fun back then as you had a hard time , all the time.

Now you have an easy time, all the time.

But idd , try it out. still fun but i (have no idea but i think) its alot like warr and druid tanking now. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbull

But idd , try it out. still fun but i (have no idea but i think) its alot like warr and druid tanking now. ^^
    Uhhhhh.

The only "hard time" I had tanking back then was not going OOM constantly. Right now it might seem "easier" if only because they upped threat gen--something they did for all tanks, not just paladins.

Ive played most of wow as a holy pally then swapped to prot at the start of 3.2, i was a bit sus on it at first thinking i may have agro troubles or wouldnt pull a room the right way, or put a boss in the right spot but its not as hard as i thought. and their survivability is great.
    The first rule of Starfall is, You don't talk about Starfall!

tanking a 5man heroic in full epics can be a bit annoying, when you gear heavily on block/dodge stats and take very little damage throughout of the instance. you'll face alot of mana problems and force to drink every few pulls.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Edds
    tanking a 5man heroic in full epics can be a bit annoying, when you gear heavily on block/dodge stats and take very little damage throughout of the instance. you'll face alot of mana problems and force to drink every few pulls.
    If you're having mana problems in heroics because you're dodging, parrying or blocking too many attacks and therefore not taking much damage, you're doing it wrong.

Use Blessing of Sanctuary, if you're avoiding/mitigating as many attacks as you claim that will give you enough mana back. If that's still not enough, pull more mobs at once.

The only heroic I have mana problems in is Violet Hold, and that's only because the incredibly annoying timed portal mechanic means I can't chainpull and keep Divine Plea up, or pull groups larger than three or four at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Edds
    Never Just turn on Divine Plea and keep pulling. If you have low mana, just pull more. Each time you block you get a bit of mana, so if you have 4-5 guys bashing on you you should recharge your mana pretty quickly.

It's nice to go back to Naxx10 in ToC gear... did military pulling 3 groups at a time. Never had a problem with mana. And barely took damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    TL;DR: Protection Paladin tanking is fun, not too complicated, but as with all classes, it takes some effort to truly master it.
    this. easy to play, hard to master
    Time waits for no one.
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

O<MG DUN U NO?? PALYS R FAGS ANDD THERE OP AS HELLLLL

FFUUUUU ARGENT DEFANDER

There, now hopefully dumbshits will see that and just ignore the rest of the post and continue to rant. That being said, Paladin tanking isn't really too hard in the same way tanking in general isn't too hard. You can talk about revenge and runestrike all you want, the fact of the matter is they'll be up most of the time, if not all the time once you're geared.

And you can bitch about AD all you want, but if you can't time Last Stand before a big hit, you're just retarded. As for Death Knights, you can easily glyph to heal yourself as much as AD...any time you want. And it's on a shorter Cooldown. And you have a 15% health bonus that increases healing done to you. And a move that makes them heal you when they hit you.

I've played a warrior tank (though admittedly not for a while), and I've played a Death Knight tank...just enjoy Paladin the most.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

Quote Originally Posted by bone123
    this. easy to play, hard to master
    read some sites like EJ once is hard....

Paladin tanking is fun. AoE = Paladin. Single target = Warrior. Combination = Death Knight and Druid.

/thread
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/world-of-warcraft-lore-by-richard-knaak-(spoilers)/

We have a more static ideal rotation in comparison to warrior or DK tanks who have a more reactive rotation...
    That's about it >_> Mana managing = Divine plea managing (this is not applicable to stand still and hit boss fights, but it is with add tanking, trash tanking etc etc. Also this will be more important with the T10 bonus).

As for what for me really puts the tanking classes aside from each other is their non-tanking skills.
    And with non-tanking skills I mean stuff where you pretty much save someone else. Say HoP people at the right time to save them from a untimely death, cleanse nasty debuffs (love tanking steelbreaker ), walking 115% over ice with HoF, intervening a ally to avoid a deadly blow, interrupting casts, high charging mobility, spell reflecting, pulling mobs to a better position, easily positionable AoE field.
    The list goes on for a while.

I've played a DK, warrior and paladin tank and I just prefer paladin tanking more over the others...
    The people who say paladin tanking is boring do not use it's full potential. There's more to tanking than letting the big nasty dragon hit you...

From what i've been told by our pally tank it's pretty simple, she just zones out and goes into autopilot, kinda like me and druid healing.

Not really proof that it's fun, but it's clearly effective.

Ive actually tanked as all 4 tanks, and in terms of "difficulty" (none of them are hard, this is in terms of buttons/rotation and threat) in my personal experience, it is.
    Easiest-->Hardest.

Druid--->DK--->Pally--->Warrior

In terms of enjoyment, personally

Druid--->Warrior--->DK--->Pally

again, my opinion, and ive tanked extensively on all 4

P.S. Deathknights are by FAR better At generating AoE aggro than any other tank :< Druids are actually 2nd. Why do people still think its pallies? :<

Death and Decay does 3 if not 4x the aggro of concecration. And Druid swipe doesnt do as much as that, but in a flat out AoE aggro race the druid beats the pally to :P
    Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Darrkh
    Death and Decay does 3 if not 4x the aggro of concecration. And Druid swipe doesnt do as much as that, but in a flat out AoE aggro race the druid beats the pally to :P
    DnD does have a cd right? concecration can have close to 100% up-time.

and the rune costs to cast DnD make it less good

While what you say is true, It is a good thing that DnD has a cooldown, The whole point of both of the abilities is to get initial aggro on all the mobs. The fact is, if a DK puts it down, you simply will not overaggro him for its duration while AoE'ing, now, by the time it has actually ran out, he has all the diseases on the targets, and hes spamming his other abilities anyway, or the mobs are dead. Concecration on the other hand does little to no threat and is easily overaggroable via AoE if some dps aoe the mobs before they reach him (holy shield).

And about Rune cooldowns. Theres nothing to worry about as a DK tank, if your doing AoE threat, your 6 runes are all you need to initiate, and since most of them are blood they have 7 or 8 runes (3-4 blood). You dont ever have rune issues as a DK, and you certainly dont ever have runic power issues, thats for sure (When tanking, different as dps)
    Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison

imo, if you are a good player who likes a challenge, then go prot.

Alot of people will say it's easy, because it is, but then imo every class / spec is easy.

Tanking in general, is imo the most rewarding of all roles within a raid, and you feel a true part of the raid and crucial to it's success.

Holy you get soo caught up in lifebars that you don't actually get to see much of the content.

Ret is soo lacking in responsibility that you'll bore yourself to death, it's heaps of fun on farm content since you can compete on dps meters, but progression you have very limited impact on the success or failure of the raid, and thus you feel insignificant (because you are insignificant)

Prot however, you have huge responsibility, if you screw up the raid screws up. If you are good, you can not only control your performance but that of the raid aswell, since you are the one who is in control.

For myself, I enjoy being in control and having an impact on the raid's performance. The amount of times, while on my alts, I have raged to myself about how we'd never be wiping if I was on my pally.

Also besides that, prot as a pally is fun, you are a god of soloing, you can solo what other tanks can't even solo! It might not be quick, but you'll do it. If you goto a battleground in your pve gear, you won't just instantly fall over dead, you'll survive and smash face while you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbull

I bet you were a Blood elf in Pre-BC too right?

If you tanked Pre-BC you were a terrible player. Not only were we not designed for it. But we had no real skills for it. Hell in BC we were not supposed to even use Avengers Shield because it had a cast time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

I recently specced protection and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I've played a combination of ret and holy specs since retail, but prot gave me a world of new challenges. Gearing up, specs, glyphs, stats, positioning, learning encounters from a new perspective etc.

I genuinely enjoy my prot spec, however I've never played any of the other classes, so I'm quite inexperienced in that regard.