Whats a good (ballpark) mp5 as holy?

Hey,

I lucked out the other in a TOC25 pug and got "Solace of the Defeated". This (at least to me) seems like a sick trinket [my warrior GM also got deaths demise so as a strict 10 man guild who normally never pug this was a real win!]

I recently re-gemmed (had a topic here about it) and went more spirit and removed MP5 (i understand the errors of my ways!) but i've got a feeling my mp5 is now well over the top (have only done 1 Ony since then and never went below 70% mana).

I'm sitting at almost 1000 buffed with trinket up, and it will most likely be up all fight. This translates to around 650 in combat MP5. With shadowfiend incase of emergencies i think i'm going to re-gem again and get rid of the spirit gems for SP.

What do people think is a good mp5? I'm going to be mainly 10 man and mostly doing renew and CoH with very few GH or PoH

85 pala (tank1); 85 DK (tank2; 85 priest (unused), 85Drood (heals); 85 lock (dps); 85 warrior (Tank3) 85 hunter ;83 Shammy (Ele/Resto);65 rogue

Re: Whats a good (ballpark) mp5 as holy?

YMMV, there is no target. If you're 3 man healing 10 man normals and never have to cast PoH then you'll need a lot less than if you're 2 man healing 10 man hard modes and spam it like a deranged monkey during key moments.

If you're comfortable with your mana you have enough. If you can't conceivably oom you have too much. It's entirely down to your experience.

15+ Year Old Account

I found a noticeable improvement when i hit 700regen. As long as Im not mindlessly spamming GH or FH for extended periods I never have mana problems.

I'm a fan of an iteration process in this case. This only works if you do the same raid with the same setup every week though.

In my case: I regulary heal ToGC10 together with a shaman and a druid, both great geared. I started with a lot of Int gems and spirit gear but found out that at the end of most fights I still had a buckload of mana left and sometimes even my shadowfied, but I was at the bottom of healing meters (if that matters or not isn't the discussion here; let's assume it does). It also was a skill/gear question, as they've been healing their entire (WotLK) life and I specced holy for the first time since WotLK just over a month ago.

Anyway, the next time I added some non-regen, high througput items and found out I still had mana to spare. The time after that I added even more throughput items and found myself in mana problems some fights, so I switched back a few items and the last time I had great throughput and the only fight I had some mana problems was faction champions, but that's because dispelling is so mana intensive. Nothing serious though, we have a feral druid and I've got pots so I never really went OOM.

It's also dependent on the gear you have access to; My mainspec is shadow so I have a lot of throughput gear. It's good to have options.

Keep in mind there are a lot of variables in this case:
    - What are you raiding? (ToC10 or ToGC10 makes quite the difference)
    - How many healers do you use.
    - Do you have replenishment in the raid.
    - Do you have access to a spare innervate?
    - Are you willing to use pots?
    - What's your playstyle? E.g. I know that because of my inexperience still, I sometimes refresh Renew on a target to soon so I probably need a little more regen than a priest who doesn't. Also, do you use PoH a lot or can you manage with CoH and a renew here and there?

Try some different gear setups and find out your own preferences. I personally want to spend my last mana at the same time the boss dies, other people rather have a buffer all the time.

Intellect makes no impact on your MP5 number, but is the best regen stat in the game. Spirit gives a meager impact on your MP5 stat, but with holy concentration, it's a powerhouse. MP5 is on a number comparison basis the best way to upgrade your MP5 stat, but in return probably gives the least return.

As a result; i'm all for saying: "gem int until you reasonably don't go oom, then gem haste until you do". Other people prefer spellpower.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Thanks for the replys - very helpful

Unfortunately, atm my preist is my 'alt' although i'm thinking of making it my main as its nearly as good geared, and is a hell of a lot more fun than an arcane mage (although it is fun to be top of the meters with not much work...:P)

Rborn's comment was very helpful - however our guild is in a bit of a transition stage at the moment so we never know who is going to be on and dont have a consistent team. Once this is sorted out and we can really start on ToGC10 i think this would help a great deal.

I think i'm going to remove my spirit gems and replace with SP. I'm currently at 6% haste but mainly cast instant spells so the only benefit would be in reducing GCD and unless i stack hugely i doubt i'd notice a difference.

85 pala (tank1); 85 DK (tank2; 85 priest (unused), 85Drood (heals); 85 lock (dps); 85 warrior (Tank3) 85 hunter ;83 Shammy (Ele/Resto);65 rogue

Quote Originally Posted by scism
    Hey,

I lucked out the other in a TOC25 pug and got "Solace of the Defeated". This (at least to me) seems like a sick trinket [my warrior GM also got deaths demise so as a strict 10 man guild who normally never pug this was a real win!]

I recently re-gemmed (had a topic here about it) and went more spirit and removed MP5 (i understand the errors of my ways!) but i've got a feeling my mp5 is now well over the top (have only done 1 Ony since then and never went below 70% mana).

I'm sitting at almost 1000 buffed with trinket up, and it will most likely be up all fight. This translates to around 650 in combat MP5. With shadowfiend incase of emergencies i think i'm going to re-gem again and get rid of the spirit gems for SP.

What do people think is a good mp5? I'm going to be mainly 10 man and mostly doing renew and CoH with very few GH or PoH
    This is too subjective to be black & white about... your required regen will changed depending on encounter, role within the encounter, healing combination, raid buffs present and the difficulty of content (normal or heroic mode?).

There are also 2 ways to handle too much regen, you can start gemming for throughput, personally I go for a balance of haste & SP as throughput stats. Or you can change your style to a more spammy type style knowing that you have the mana pool to handle it. These are 2 ways you can increase throughput, if you have 70% too much mana then cast 70% more spells, sure you'll do more overhealing but if you never go oom then who cares?

What you do really needs to be evaluated by yourself. I wouldn't be placing too much faith in information from an ony run though, ony is cake. What you really should be doing is evaluating how you go in the hardest encounters your guild attempts and if you really have too much mana make a decision to spam more spells or gem for throughput. And if you gem for throughput make a decision whether you want to do it in terms of SP, Haste or a combination.