Thread: Gems as holy

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gems as holy

What is the best gems to gem as a holy priest? My brother runs arround with critt gems, saying its the best. But i have a hard time beliving that.
    So, can someone either confirm or deny this?

Re: Gems as holy

the 1s i use most are 20 int gems and 34 int gems
    followed by 23 sp
    then 12 sp + 10 int
    no reason at all to use crit gems chants and gear sould get u good crit

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

SP in red, SP-int in yellow, SP-spirit in blue

Quote Originally Posted by Bossa
    What is the best gems to gem as a holy priest? My brother runs arround with critt gems, saying its the best. But i have a hard time beliving that.
    So, can someone either confirm or deny this?
    Lol, crit gems. Go with hit, so you dont miss the heals. You need 20% to be a good healer

The above was sarcasm.. I hope. :P

There are three ways to go.

First is for regen. Yellow = Int, Red = SP/Int, Blue = Spirit/Int. Int is the main gem, so it goes into any socket you don't want to bonus for once your Meta is activated.

Second two are for more healing. Your choice is Haste, or SP. Haste is the clear choice if you're under 14%, after that SP is typically better. For the Haste setup it's the same as the Int setup, but you use Haste, SP/Haste and Spirit/Haste. For the SP setup you switch it around to Red = SP, Yellow = SP/Haste and Blue = SP/Spirit. SP is the main gem now so it goes in any sockets you don't need the bonus from after meta activation.

Oh and despite the sarcasm above... Crit really is bad to gem for as Holy. It has some use as Disc, but even that's questionable at best.

Int may be the "king of regen", but it's not -that- much better than Spirit for Holy. Infact, I went from full int gems to a hybrid of Int/Spirit and I found my sustainability went up, but that fits my playstyle.

So for me, Red = SP/Spirit, Yellow = Int, Blue = Spirit when it comes to regen. Should it come down to thoroughput, Red gets SP, Yellow for SP/Haste, and of course Blue with SP/Spirit.

I personally view regen as a form of thoroughput though. Contrary to what many people say, Holy can and does still drop its blue bar when it goes full out. And going full out is higher thoroughput than holding back to a "balanced output" to sustain mana, no matter how you gem. Some guilds have druids eager to pump you full of innervates, but you can't always count on it. Druid may die before you do, or not be able to make it that serious progression night, or (like most druids) use his mana cooldown for himself maybe and gear himself as such?

Short term thoroughput is SP/Haste types, but long term thoroughput I find is actually regen and pushing yourself harder for longer.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Int may be the "king of regen", but it's not -that- much better than Spirit for Holy. Infact, I went from full int gems to a hybrid of Int/Spirit and I found my sustainability went up, but that fits my playstyle.

So for me, Red = SP/Spirit, Yellow = Int, Blue = Spirit when it comes to regen. Should it come down to thoroughput, Red gets SP, Yellow for SP/Haste, and of course Blue with SP/Spirit.

I personally view regen as a form of thoroughput though. Contrary to what many people say, Holy can and does still drop its blue bar when it goes full out. And going full out is higher thoroughput than holding back to a "balanced output" to sustain mana, no matter how you gem. Some guilds have druids eager to pump you full of innervates, but you can't always count on it. Druid may die before you do, or not be able to make it that serious progression night, or (like most druids) use his mana cooldown for himself maybe and gear himself as such?

Short term thoroughput is SP/Haste types, but long term thoroughput I find is actually regen and pushing yourself harder for longer.
    Told you spirit wasn't as bad as it was made out to be after the spirit nerf... the assumptions on EJ's are poor, one of them being a 100% inside FSR time which won't be the case. In any case Kelesti is on the ball with what he says.

10+ Year Old Account

Yellow=Int, Red=Int+SP and Blue=Int+MP5 is the best according to me and the rest of my server

My Armory
    TBH, I really like cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Runis707
    Yellow=Int, Red=Int+SP and Blue=Int+MP5 is the best according to me and the rest of my server
    The fact you and the "rest of your server" consider mp5 even a viable gem for Holy automatically points to "ur doin it rong".

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Told you spirit wasn't as bad as it was made out to be after the spirit nerf... the assumptions on EJ's are poor, one of them being a 100% inside FSR time which won't be the case. In any case Kelesti is on the ball with what he says.
    In the first place, while EJ's numbers are usually pretty spot on for DPS, I've found their resources illsuited to healing, almost as if they're trying to simcraft it too. At least, that's my impression of it anyways; pretty oddball but that's just me.

And no offense to the EJ fanboys, but even take a look at their shadow compendium.
    The third glyph is more controversial.
    - Glyph of Shadow is the only other glyph that has a decent effect on our DPS, but, it works out to be ~70 spell damage or so for maybe 80% of the time, making it quite marginal.

- Glyph of Dispersion gives you unlimited mana, but realistically speaking, you won't be needing all that mana all the time. I favor glyph of dispersion since having a very low cooldown 'oh shit' button is pretty awesome.
    Sure! For Algalon. Or Heroic Twins if you're a soaker (shouldn't be needed though). Really, though? ~70 SP 80% of the time on a glyph slot is considered lacklustre for Dispersion?!?!

Is it just me, or has their thinktank been drying up lately?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

That happens in cycles on EJ. Especially with classes deemed non-viable as Shadow in 3.2 has been. If there's no new math, then the information dries up very quickly. When something big happens somewhere then it springs back to life.

For instance that comment on glyphs is from 3.1, possibly earlier. There are similar (very outdated) comments in the OPs of a lot of threads. Most of it you have to wade threw a few dozen pages to find proper questioning of something. Some threads the OP is actually no longer posting at all and thus it's 'updated' via replies. It's part of what makes EJ difficult to read at times.

That said I've never had a situation arise that cast doubt on the Int numbers. That stems partially from my aversion to 'hybrid' gemming. If Spirit was optimal I would be using SP/Spirit, Int/Spirit (or Haste/Spirit) and Spirit. I would never gem SP/Spirit, Int and Spirit as you suggested. The reasoning is that since pure Spirit is taken in Blue and SP/Spirit taken in Red, it implied that Spirit is distinctly better than Int. As such Int/Spirit is the better gem. If 'balance' was the ideal, then I would gem Int, Spirit and then use either SP/Int, or SP/Spirit to cancel out differences in Yellow/Blue gem count to get the best mix. Int/Spirit can also be used in the gem type you have more of to balance them out. For instance if you had three yellow and two blue sockets you would put pure Spirit in blue, pure Int in two yellows and one Int/Spirit in a yellow. If you had the same, but two reds as well you could use two SP/Spirit gems to balance it instead while using pure Int in all yellows.

If that isn't the goal then that type of gemming is just stat mingling to me and I don't see any rational reason to use it. SP/Int, Int and Int/Spirit provides substantially more regen. SP, SP/Haste and SP/Spirit provides substantially more regen. If you're truly in need of both then an equal mix of SP/Int go in red/yellow and either SP/Spirit, or Int/Spirit is used to make up any gaps. You'll wind up with both more regen and more throughput.

Any Shadow Priest getting their information from EJ is a clown imo anyway, all the spriest theorycrafters are over at shadowpriest.com

I mainly heal as Disc, so i have heaps of int gems around, and they work fine for Holy Nice mana pool too!
    Spellpower
    Spellpower/Int (for Yellow)
    Spellpower/Spi (for Blue)

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Imdownhere
    Lol, crit gems. Go with hit, so you dont miss the heals. You need 20% to be a good healer
    True this i play a Resto Druid, and if you don't have enough hit (Ideally 20%-25%) Your heals will be missing alot more then it should.

for my holy priest i did it like this

red = SP
    yellow = SP/int
    blue + int/spirit

I use to have NO sp gems in any of the pieces but did a test run with nothing but sp sp/int and sp/spirit gems to see how it played out and yes my heals was bigger "not by a whole lot tbh". well when i looked though my data i realized if i shift a few things around i would be a bit better off which lead to this gemming scheme.

old gemming
    36sp 140 int 110 spirit
    new gemming scheme
    117sp 110 int 60 spirit

if you look at my armory you can tell i could easly drop that 50 spirit

but to be honest you need to gem to match your play style and your primary job.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...27s+Edge&n=Sou

Quote Originally Posted by Runis707
    So, just to do a quick IQ test on you and the rest of your server - why would you put INT/MP5 gem in blue slot if you can put a gem that gives more regen and more spellpower than ones mentioned?

If you lack mana pool or need mana regen, go for intellect or intellect/spirit, giving priority to intellect anyways.

If you have enough mana (22/23k and higher are starting to be rather good numbers) go for SP, added with some crit/haste depending of what you need.

10+ Year Old Account

*jumps on the bandwagon*

Like most people I've gone for:

Yellow - SP and Int
    Blue - Int and Spirit

Red however, I've gemmed for SP and Int, but now I'm at 23K man unbuffed, my Blue sockets I'll start to gen with SP/Spi and Red pure SP.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyra
    *jumps on the bandwagon*

Like most people I've gone for:

Yellow - SP and Int
    Blue - Int and Spirit

Red however, I've gemmed for SP and Int, but now I'm at 23K man unbuffed, my Blue sockets I'll start to gen with SP/Spi and Red pure SP.
    I'm like you on this. At first, I gemmed for regen;

Red = SP/Int
    Yellow = Int
    Blue = Int/Spi

However, as my gear is getting better, and I reach towards BiS gear, I find that the extra Int/Spi is not needed, and I can gem towards SP instead of worrying about regen stats. I also find that gemming for Haste/Crit is not needed, since there is plenty form ToC and ToGC gear alone. Of couse, as I pick up the BiS gear, it'll be gemmed towards SP (Also, a Solace of the fallen/defeated helps a lot in getting you away from regen stats :P) ;

Red = SP
    Yellow = SP/Int
    Blue = SP/Spi
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mal%27Ganis&n=Anduhrew

As Kelesti said, I've found a good balance of Intellect and Spirit to be superior regen for my playstyle compared to straight Intellect stacking. As such, I've been using almost entirely SP/Spirit and SP/Int gems. I have recently found, however, that I just haven't needed the regen and haven't even really be able to find many good opportunities to burn up extra mana, so I have been dumping some regen in favor of throughput, which probably means ultimately working toward SP, SP/Haste, and SP/Spirit.

You should never socket MP5 as Holy because Spirit is strictly superior regen (assuming a decent uptime of Holy Concentration) and adds bonus SP to boot. Crit is also a bad choice since it has highly undependable throughput such that it's really not worth considering, and Intellect and Spirit are both superior for regen. You should have little trouble getting to 25-30% Crit raid buffed though gear alone; in fact, I've been having a hard time keeping my Crit down in favor of Haste because it's all over everything.

Quote Originally Posted by anduhrew
    I'm like you on this. At first, I gemmed for regen;

Red = SP/Int
    Yellow = Int
    Blue = Int/Spi

However, as my gear is getting better, and I reach towards BiS gear, I find that the extra Int/Spi is not needed, and I can gem towards SP instead of worrying about regen stats. I also find that gemming for Haste/Crit is not needed, since there is plenty form ToC and ToGC gear alone. Of couse, as I pick up the BiS gear, it'll be gemmed towards SP (Also, a Solace of the fallen/defeated helps a lot in getting you away from regen stats :P) ;

Red = SP
    Yellow = SP/Int
    Blue = SP/Spi
    This.

At the beginning, go for all Int with Int/SP and Int/Spi for the other sockets.

After a while, if your mana is holding up, start switching over to SP instead of Int.

Add haste to flavor.

...but how do you gem if you're doing both holy and disc.

Not getting a separate set of gear, how do you deal with MP5 vs spirit, when the gear is going to be used with both specs.

Using spirit gems seems kind of a waste when you're healing as disc. Not so much as holy.. though I would prefer spirit.