Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Shadow priest DPS help

Another question:

So say I'm aiming for a full duration of mind flay, but lets say mind blast comes off cooldown when im at 2.5/2.7 of a mind flay, is it worth it to clip the mind flay or just let the flay run its course?

Quote Originally Posted by Rendition
    Another question:

So say I'm aiming for a full duration of mind flay, but lets say mind blast comes off cooldown when im at 2.5/2.7 of a mind flay, is it worth it to clip the mind flay or just let the flay run its course?
    Not that late in the channel... if MF is dealing about 2.2K damage (a modest number) per tick... spending 0.2 seconds to add 2.2K damage is an effecient use of time, where it's bad is when you could have clipped MF at 2 ticks but let it do a full duration channel before clipping MF, that delays MB by 0.9 seconds and you are spending your time channeling the lowest DPS spell in your spellbook instead of your highest nuke.

I find that clipping mind flay after two ticks is almost impossible to achieve consistently. My latency averages 300 but its very spiky The red latency section of the cast bar on Quartz ranges from nothing to over a second to nothing again. It often seems like the last two mind flay ticks occur at the same time and trying to clip after two results in only one tick or sometimes the clipping spell doesn't even clip the 3rd tick and then when the spell cast bar finally appears the entire thing is red. Due to this dynamic latency I've found that my dps increases when I never clip mind flay.

I've also played around with the latency compensation on the quartz timer and found that it is not accurate. If I start casting something like mount over and over until I get a very large red "latency" section... at least 1 second, I find that I can't start moving even half way through the red section without canceling the mount. If moving cancels the mount cast time in the red then casting should also clip channeling in the red.
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer