Thread: mind control

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

mind control

I play a lvl 80 priest since wrath came out. I don't know how it was like in bc or pre bc, but i think that they should change mc so that its somewhat more fun. Jumping people off of edges, like in ab or eots. make the range longer too, im sorry but 20 yards isn't long at all. Make it like 35 or 40. people bitch all the time cause they have to pay repairs, get over it. Make a priest yourself, join the fun. All i want is for blizz to stop taking the fun moves like mc and spell steal. Sorry but for those classes, its fun. I'm not qq'ing, just want to see what other priest have to say about it, and maybe some mages for the spell steal.

Re: mind control

I realised this was a stupid post when it came to the armor repairs bit. How the hell is that relevant to mind control? please explain.

Make it instant cast perhaps with a cooldown sure would make the use of it more fun for the priests but not for every other class. It's fine how it is just open your eyes a bit before you plan to use it.
    Born under the Discipline tree.

idk i hear people bitch on a lot that they have to pay repairs when they die or fall or something like that

Have you even played eots at the middle with an elemental shamman on the other side? it sucks ages.

You dont loose armor dura in a bg even from falling. MC is fine there is nothing wrong with it.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

You do in WG though, and if you do it at the right place they're going to have to use a spirit rez or beg a friend to fly halfway up the mountain to rez them.

;D

I don't really have a problem using mind control to my advantage, not just for fun like in BGs and stuff, but it's quite handy for places like arenas if you get the chance to use it.

The only problems I have, quite a few actually now that I think about it, are the fact that the range isn't all that long, like you said, and it's quite easy to just run out of range or line of sight if you get it casted on you. Similar to this is the fact that the cast is quite long, but with a PW;S just before you get the increased casting speed so it's not that bad. But the thing I find the most annoying is when I really try to use it against teams, a simple charge or intercept, dispel or similar effect just stops the channeling.

Other than that, it's fine if used correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by trainwreck
    If they do incorporate Worgen and Goblins as playable races it will be the last straw. I've let my children play this (somewhat evil) game in my Christian household for long enough. These changes will bring a whole new level of evil and Satanism that I can't stand by and let my kids experience. I will be cancelling.

15+ Year Old Account

I want BC's MC again. When I could MC a paladin and blow their DI or LoH and all their other super long cds, then drop them off the edge of a cliff.

Seriously, be thankful they nerfed MC as much as they did in 3.0. It was the equivalent of slipping a PvP-flagged player a ruthie. You have your fun, then leave them in a pool of their own bodily fluids afterwards.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

actually mind control is very good crowd control in a situation when you outnumber the opposition. Granted, if you outnumber them you should win by default, but we all know that is not always the case depending on who you are with in BG's.

If you are fighting a highly geared DPS + Healer team for example, mind controlling one of them will make it dead easy to take down the partner who is now alone. If they waste their trinket on it, you can either recast or use fear. If they interrupt, they've wasted a lockout on your shadow school and you can now heal nicely for a bit.

15+ Year Old Account

MC as it is is fun but the only times its it usefull are very very rare. And once you MC someone there is nothing you can do other than walk then 1-2 steps out of range.

Two changes I would like to see but dont expect would be a slight range increase and access to their abilities. Let use use their heals, actually attack with more than auto, blow some CDs. Or maybe a debuff after it breaks that dazes them or something, kall it menal confusion maybe.

according to ghostcrawler, you can MC someone and use all their cds then run them off a cliff, it's one of the best spells in the game

of course he knows little obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield
    actually mind control is very good crowd control in a situation when you outnumber the opposition. Granted, if you outnumber them you should win by default, but we all know that is not always the case depending on who you are with in BG's.

If you are fighting a highly geared DPS + Healer team for example, mind controlling one of them will make it dead easy to take down the partner who is now alone. If they waste their trinket on it, you can either recast or use fear. If they interrupt, they've wasted a lockout on your shadow school and you can now heal nicely for a bit.
    Lol, really?

MC is the only CC that also CCs yourself. In fact, perhaps it really shouldn't even be considered a CC. You're not removing an opponent and turning the match briefly into a 2v1 situation like Poly/Sap/Blind/Fear/Hex/Trap/Wyvern. You are effectively turning the match into a 1v1.

You said "mind controlling one of them will make it dead easy to take down the partner who is now alone." You're forgetting that your own is alone now as well.

Really, MC is effective at securing that 1v1 situation when you know your partner has the upper hand in the 1v1. Therefore, it's uses in real PvP are quite limited, and really doesn't warrant a 3sec cast nor the short range, and it certainly is not nearly as effective nor crippling as your post made it seem.

Mind Control is good for three things, but should always be used under Borrowed Time.

One, forcing interrupts coming onto you, so you're free to heal. You think a warrior's goign to let you MC him? Yeah...

Two: Should interrupts not be going out, you get to interrupt that Holy Paladin or Resto Shaman, and run them LoS while their partner starts dying. This always leads to a trinket or a bubble though.

Three: You've just interrupted their heal from MC. They trinket. You are now free to open up with a CC combo, chaining your last MC into a Psychic Scream that they can't touch (assuming you were smart to gib tremor totem). This is a little harder with Paladins and their bubble, but after that's blown it's not hard to focus fire him down either. Their tools are already spent at that point.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

MC is really useful.

I always use it when I have a rogue at my ass, If he don"t kick, he's Mind controlled, if he kick I can heal freely (instead he stuns or blind or else)

Also useful in a chain CC as shadow priest.

For example : SP/Rogue

Sap, Fear, Psychic horror, silence, Blind, Sap, MC, Fear.

You can also MC a healer just after casting your dots so that it let them tick.

But true, a lower cast time would be really helpful. Or higher range.
    It's not because we like a steack that we want to know who's the cow.

In light of shamans/druids running in and TS'ing a whole group of people into the abyss in EOTS in 1.5secs or less when you factor haste, the cast time and range of mind control should probably be adjusted IMO since it only has one target and also CCs yourself in a way. Even a shorter cast time with a CD would be much improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Mind Control is good for three things, but should always be used under Borrowed Time.

One, forcing interrupts coming onto you, so you're free to heal. You think a warrior's goign to let you MC him? Yeah...

Two: Should interrupts not be going out, you get to interrupt that Holy Paladin or Resto Shaman, and run them LoS while their partner starts dying. This always leads to a trinket or a bubble though.

Three: You've just interrupted their heal from MC. They trinket. You are now free to open up with a CC combo, chaining your last MC into a Psychic Scream that they can't touch (assuming you were smart to gib tremor totem). This is a little harder with Paladins and their bubble, but after that's blown it's not hard to focus fire him down either. Their tools are already spent at that point.
    1: Hey look, you just got UA'd on by that Warrior who saw you casting your 4sec w/ pushback cast. Even if he pummels you at the end your heals now do 75% of its effect. Cool! As for using it to bait a kick onto your Shadow school, not only is MB more efficient at this due to you wasting less time casting, the fastest way is just the good old juke. DKs actually kick me once in a blue moon due to MF's innate lag, and sub 2.2k rogues range from fairly to very easy to predict when during your cast their kick will come. The argument that MC cast can be used to bait interrupts is silly at best and unintelligent at worst.

2: This is more in line with my post, in that MC is useful in bringing a 2v2 into a 1v1 if your partner has the upper hand. Running your MC'd out of range/LoS is common sense really. The drawback to this plot which you make sound so simple Kelesti is how easily a 3sec MC can be ranged or LoS'd. Healers who choose to stand close and away from pillars will usually either be eating burns before they learn their lesson, or get stomped on hard by my partner. I don't know what rating you play your 2s at, but sure sounds like the healers you face don't know how to play the map.

3: This is a valid point that I did not mention, in that a MC, should you actually manage to get it off with impunity, can force a trinket leading you to chain a second or third CC from which your enemy cannot get out of. I give you credit for this one, MC sometimes eats a trinket if you get it off.

Edit: And of course, the times MC does prove effective is very, very predominantly in the 2v2 bracket only. In 3s, I almost never cast MC unless its already a 3v2 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    Lol, really?

MC is the only CC that also CCs yourself. In fact, perhaps it really shouldn't even be considered a CC. You're not removing an opponent and turning the match briefly into a 2v1 situation like Poly/Sap/Blind/Fear/Hex/Trap/Wyvern. You are effectively turning the match into a 1v1.

You said "mind controlling one of them will make it dead easy to take down the partner who is now alone." You're forgetting that your own is alone now as well.

Really, MC is effective at securing that 1v1 situation when you know your partner has the upper hand in the 1v1. Therefore, it's uses in real PvP are quite limited, and really doesn't warrant a 3sec cast nor the short range, and it certainly is not nearly as effective nor crippling as your post made it seem.
    You really need to read my whole post and not just the first sentence/line/word. I don't care to repeat myself.

Also, how can you bait an interrupt with Mind Blast? No one is going to bother interrupting that. They either interrupt Mind Control allowing you to heal or trinket out of it allowing you to fear. If they succumb to Mind Control it gives all your cooldowns chance to reset and gives you the apportunity to move them to where it fits you best. As for the long cast, use it with Borrowed Time as another poster suggests.

You've never been able to use a players abilities when you MC them.

enough with this blow someones cds and run them off a cliff business

I liked to play together with an Affliction Lock with my Priest against War/Druid
    At some time the Druid went drinking, we put every DoT on the Warrior and I mindcontrolled him. Druid came back, Rejuv, Swiftmend, Instant HT, Warri dead because poor Druid healed himself all the time

I don't know how often this usually works, didn't play long with the Warlock (Better said I played with him just one week because his usual Priest didn't want to play), but Mind Control is the only CC which doesn't break on damage, so make use of it (Damage on the CCed target, I mean)

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown
    I want BC's MC again. When I could MC a paladin and blow their DI or LoH and all their other super long cds, then drop them off the edge of a cliff.

Seriously, be thankful they nerfed MC as much as they did in 3.0. It was the equivalent of slipping a PvP-flagged player a ruthie. You have your fun, then leave them in a pool of their own bodily fluids afterwards.
    MC let you cast enemy players spells in BC? O.o
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer