Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help Ret Pally Low DPS

hey guys i just think i need some help.

I have been doing so much research and i just cant figure out my dps problem. i recently bought some new expertise gems and tried thoes out and my aoe damage shot up but my single target went down. i feel so out dpsed i cant help it. i am in decent gear (around a 4600 GS) and i am only putting out around 3k single target (or less) and around 4.5 k dps to mobs. i dont know what i am doing wrong. i have tried new gems. all my gear is enchanted. i am Hit capped, not expertise capped yet, (just started getting expertise). I want to raid harder but im afraid to go into raids knowing my dps is going to be shit. i am willing to hear any comments. anytihng is appreciated.

my armory link is http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...7jin&n=Dugoars

any comments appreciated greatly. thx guys

Re: Help Ret Pally Low DPS

Ok there is a couple of things you can fix here.

1. your 2nd trinket. Horrible for pve. and your firs 1 the armor pen isnt good so if you have extra badges donwgrade them to heroism for mirror of truth.
    2. Your meta gem is wrong. You want the 21 crit rating inc crit dmg. Which is all 3 gem color required which is easy to fill with 1 20 str and a nightmare tear.
    3, Your over the hit cap so turn the enchant on your boots to AP.
    4, IMO its not worth it to gem for expertise cause it is a lot of str gone. I let my gear cover most of it then glyph for it.
    5. your talent points/glyphs are wrong. for glyphs use Seal of vengeance,JUdgement,Exorcism. FOr talent ponts you shouldnt spec into stocism and you need to max out vengeance.

Besides those upgrade ur gear. Your ap is low at this point so you wont be pulling the really good dps till you nreak 4.2k ap

and you need to pick up the triumph badge libram asap

10+ Year Old Account

Check the stickie at the top of the topic page.

Yes, there is a method to my madness

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    Check the stickie at the top of the topic page.

Yes, there is a method to my madness
    MADNESS?

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetNoata
    MADNESS?
    Yes.

I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain, yet somehow I am still here to explain.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dugoars
    (around a 4600 GS)
    sorry you cant be saved

Edit: lol at the spec.. no wonder you do bad dps

I'm probably just repeating what the first reply said but whatever.

Your professions. Don't come and complain about DPS if you aren't even going to min/max yourself. No respectable guild is going to take any class that has Skinning, because there are better professions. Replace Skinning with JC, Enchanting is okay (but BiS profession would be Blacksmithing, but the difference is only a few AP)

Your gear. Cmon. Do the heroic daily everyday, everyone and their dog and their dog's bastard puppy should have 4 piece t9 on both MS and OS just from doing the heroic dailies, VoA, Onyxia. If you do ToC 10/25 every week it's even easier to get this, but you don't have to do ToC at all. For your trinkets, please don't be cheap with your character and buy him a real darkmoon card, darkmoon card: greatness STR. Also, if you can't get any other trinkets, get the Mirror of Truth from the Emblem of Heroism vendor. Replace Libram with the Triumph one.

Enchants and gemming. NEVER NEVER NEVER gem for expertise. Never enchant for it either. You are more than 1% over the hit cap, yet you STILL get Icewalker enchants on your boots? Why? Get the AP+ enchant on your boots. You say you've done a lot of research and you even come to the forums to ask for help, so why don't you know the proper enchants? Get +10 on your chest. Get the Sons of Hodir shoulder enchants (which is easily attainable). Also, why do you have a str/stam gem in your legs? Why? Why? How does Stam boost dps at all? Replace that with a pure STR gem. There is this prismatic gem called a "Nightmare Tear", +10 to all stats. Get it, put it in a socket where you like the Socket Bonus (a +STR bonus, not a +crit bonus). Also, get the Relentless meta gem, and if you have a Nightmare Tear your meta gem will still proc.

Talents and glyphs. Again, you SAY you've done a lot of research on your class, yet you spec into 2 useless talents and 2 out of 3 of your main glyphs are wrong. Replace Exorcism and Hammer of Wrath with Judgement and Seal of Vengeance, and you won't have to worry about Expertise that much anymore. Get your ass out of Stocism and Divinity because those are useless Ret PvE talents. For raiding Rets, either you can do 5/7/59, where you spec into Guardian's Favor and then most of the Ret talents, or you can choose more utility and spec into either Aura Mastery or Divine Sacrifice.

Rotation? Most sites will tell you there is a Ret pally "rotation", usually Judge>Hammer>CS>DS>Consecrate>Exorcism. Don't let the word "rotation" mislead you, we don't actually press all those skills in order for the whole length of the fight. Think of it more as a "priority list". Whatever skills you have off of Cooldown, you go back to your priority list and you press the skill that is higher on the priority list. This also can CHANGE depending on the fight, such as a fight with a lot of mobs, you might want to do Consecrate and DS more often. When you pop your wings, a lot of scrub pallies pop their wings as soon as the fight starts, but what you should do is wait for your 5 stacks of vengeance to go up and THEN pop your wings. Positioning is also very important, if there is more than one target, position yourself so that your aoe hits as many targets as possible.

Sorry if I seem a little harsh, but do not say you've done a lot of research when it's obvious you haven't.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aman%27Thul&n=Vuldin

Quote Originally Posted by laur0511
    cummunism is an utopia that cannot be applied to real life. fortunately, video games aren't real life; therefore it can be applied there, making things more fair.

k thank you that helps. i have done research but every website is so back and forth with what is good and what isnt. thanks for the help lets see what it does

Quote Originally Posted by Dugoars
    k thank you that helps. i have done research but every website is so back and forth with what is good and what isnt. thanks for the help lets see what it does
    http://www.retpaladin.com is good, not as good as it used to be but it's still a good place to learn some basics. If you want more precise info you go to elitists jerks, or just use your own head

cummunism is an utopia that cannot be applied to real life. fortunately, video games aren't real life; therefore it can be applied there, making things more fair.

Quote Originally Posted by dogpie
    I'm probably just repeating what the first reply said but whatever.

Your professions. Don't come and complain about DPS if you aren't even going to min/max yourself. No respectable guild is going to take any class that has Skinning, because there are better professions. Replace Skinning with JC, Enchanting is okay (but BiS profession would be Blacksmithing, but the difference is only a few AP)

Your gear. Cmon. Do the heroic daily everyday, everyone and their dog and their dog's bastard puppy should have 4 piece t9 on both MS and OS just from doing the heroic dailies, VoA, Onyxia. If you do ToC 10/25 every week it's even easier to get this, but you don't have to do ToC at all. For your trinkets, please don't be cheap with your character and buy him a real darkmoon card, darkmoon card: greatness STR. Also, if you can't get any other trinkets, get the Mirror of Truth from the Emblem of Heroism vendor. Replace Libram with the Triumph one.

Enchants and gemming. NEVER NEVER NEVER gem for expertise. Never enchant for it either. You are more than 1% over the hit cap, yet you STILL get Icewalker enchants on your boots? Why? Get the AP+ enchant on your boots. You say you've done a lot of research and you even come to the forums to ask for help, so why don't you know the proper enchants? Get +10 on your chest. Get the Sons of Hodir shoulder enchants (which is easily attainable). Also, why do you have a str/stam gem in your legs? Why? Why? How does Stam boost dps at all? Replace that with a pure STR gem. There is this prismatic gem called a "Nightmare Tear", +10 to all stats. Get it, put it in a socket where you like the Socket Bonus (a +STR bonus, not a +crit bonus). Also, get the Relentless meta gem, and if you have a Nightmare Tear your meta gem will still proc.

Talents and glyphs. Again, you SAY you've done a lot of research on your class, yet you spec into 2 useless talents and 2 out of 3 of your main glyphs are wrong. Replace Exorcism and Hammer of Wrath with Judgement and Seal of Vengeance, and you won't have to worry about Expertise that much anymore. Get your ass out of Stocism and Divinity because those are useless Ret PvE talents. For raiding Rets, either you can do 5/7/59, where you spec into Guardian's Favor and then most of the Ret talents, or you can choose more utility and spec into either Aura Mastery or Divine Sacrifice.

Rotation? Most sites will tell you there is a Ret pally "rotation", usually Judge>Hammer>CS>DS>Consecrate>Exorcism. Don't let the word "rotation" mislead you, we don't actually press all those skills in order for the whole length of the fight. Think of it more as a "priority list". Whatever skills you have off of Cooldown, you go back to your priority list and you press the skill that is higher on the priority list. This also can CHANGE depending on the fight, such as a fight with a lot of mobs, you might want to do Consecrate and DS more often. When you pop your wings, a lot of scrub pallies pop their wings as soon as the fight starts, but what you should do is wait for your 5 stacks of vengeance to go up and THEN pop your wings. Positioning is also very important, if there is more than one target, position yourself so that your aoe hits as many targets as possible.

Sorry if I seem a little harsh, but do not say you've done a lot of research when it's obvious you haven't.
    You also need to look at other things b4 you comment. Did you look at his lvl 80 achieve? He just hit 80 about 3 weeks ago. So he wouldnt be all t9 yet. second he hasnt stepped foot or finished toc yet so he would be missing out on a lot of emblems/gear. Just some things to look at b4 you start flaming some guy.

and this is a question to ronark. Why do people use glyph of consecration over exorcism. Is the extra 2 secs more greater than 20% extra dmg? Even against undeads

You also need to look at other things b4 you comment. Did you look at his lvl 80 achieve? He just hit 80 about 3 weeks ago. So he wouldnt be all t9 yet. second he hasnt stepped foot or finished toc yet so he would be missing out on a lot of emblems/gear. Just some things to look at b4 you start flaming some guy.

and this is a question to ronark. Why do people use glyph of consecration over exorcism. Is the extra 2 secs more greater than 20% extra dmg? Even against undeads
    He shouldn't be expecting leet dps then, 3 weeks after he dings 80. It's crazy that people think that they should be doing good dps as soon as they hit 80. There is this thing called "progression". I'm just trying to tell him, if he's expecting to "raid harder" which I suppose means ToC and ToC 25, then he should be in ulduar 25 gear mostly. But I know most people don't do progression with gearing anymore, which is why the mindset of the average WoW player is screwed up.

And yes, Consecration glyph > Exorcism glyph, to answer the question. Makes rotation less squished, saves mana, is just overall better. Exorcism glyph isn't that good in the first place, 20% extra damage on an average damage attack every 20 seconds? (I say 20 seconds and not 15 because there will be other spells that will be cast before this, since it's on the bottom of priority)

Thus i said even versus undead. For fights like jarraxsus,twins,anub your gonna be using exorcism over consecration since its higher on the priority list on undead. And i found that i dont have and gcd clashes with consecration really. Most of my gcd clashes glyphed with exorcism come from Judgement, DS,CS. But when i do glyph it turns out that i do have more of those clashes.

Thus i said even versus undead. For fights like jarraxsus,twins,anub your gonna be using exorcism over consecration since its higher on the priority list on undead. And i found that i dont have and gcd clashes with consecration really. Most of my gcd clashes glyphed with exorcism come from Judgement, DS,CS. But when i do glyph it turns out that i do have more of those clashes.
    It has been said many times on elitist jerks and I've seen from spreadsheets that consecration, even against undead, beats exorcism by several hundred dps.

Also the examples you mentioned contradict your argument for exo > consecrate. Jaraxxus, Twins, and Anub ALL have good aoe damage, so consecration would definitely be better than exo. You should mention Patchwerk, but even then consecration > Exorcism.

Quote Originally Posted by dogpie

Also, get the Relentless meta gem, and if you have a Nightmare Tear your meta gem will still proc.
    Honestly, the T9 4-piece isn't that great of a DPS increase (averages about 0.5%~ by Elitist Jerks theorycrafters) so it's not a priority. However, the 2-piece is crucial to DPS, and arguably the best bonus thus far (Righteous Vengeance contributes to a chunk of your damage anyways). If your guild raids ToC-25 and a bit of ToGC-10, the only pieces you should have are legs, shoulders and/or helm.

Gloves are worst compared to Gauntlets of Mounting Anger [Heroic], due to the number of sockets.
    Chest is just horrible, so Chestplate of the Frostwolf Hero is far better. Rets dislike ArP, very much.
    Helm is more of an optional piece, but certainly not a piece to exclude. Judgement Hood is on par with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshy
    Im under the assumption that they forgot shamans existed so they just need to find a few minutes to draw up a few lines but just keep putting it off since they are too busy pretending to nerf paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by Tèmpést
    Honestly, the T9 4-piece isn't that great of a DPS increase (averages about 0.5%~ by Elitist Jerks theorycrafters) so it's not a priority. However, the 2-piece is crucial to DPS, and arguably the best bonus thus far (Righteous Vengeance contributes to a chunk of your damage anyways). If your guild raids ToC-25 and a bit of ToGC-10, the only pieces you should have are legs, shoulders and/or helm.

Gloves are worst compared to Gauntlets of Mounting Anger [Heroic], due to the number of sockets.
    Chest is just horrible, so Chestplate of the Frostwolf Hero is far better. Rets dislike ArP, very much.
    Helm is more of an optional piece, but certainly not a piece to exclude. Judgement Hood is on par with it.
    4pc T9 was just an easy way of saying "get better gear". If you look at my armory you should see that I don't use 4pc T9 either.

few things i can spot with your gear :

your meta is really not good - go get the agi and crit % meta
    your shoulders are not enchanted
    your trinket 2 is not a pve trinket

focus on stacking more Str imo as a ret paladin we benefit more from it then most other things

oh and your spec is trash ? why not 3 points in vengeance ?
    your glyphs are wrong for maximizing pve dps

where ever u do your research its not the right place obviously
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadow+Council&n=Divineknight
    http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/5593/divineknightsignature.jpg

your gear is crap
    Quote Originally Posted by LonezWulf
    no lol her dick was bigger than my own

Deleted

Contributing. Just summing up some stuff. Most of it has probably already been taken up, but here goes.

Change glyhps to Seal of Vengeance, Judgement, Consecration.
    Switch meta to http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41398, switch http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40129 to a http://www.wowhead.com/?item=49110.
    Enchant your shoulders, upgrade enchant on chest, upgrade enchant on wrists.
    Switch belt to: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45550, that will increase your expertise at the cost of hit, where you are already overcapped. This will leave you at 273 hit.
    Get http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47661.
    Replace your darkmoon trinket with ANY pve trinket.
    Remove points form Stoicism, max out Vengeance, move 2 points from Divinity to Guardian's Favor. Put the last point in Divine Sacrifice.

Spec examples:
    Divine Sacrifice: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sVZAM...uhdIfsu:0Gomcz
    Aura Mastery: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sVVzZ...uhdIfsu:0Gomcz

One additional advice for pve :

Specc into 30% reduced stuntime and 30% reduced feartime.
    It is a DPS increase on several encounters ( Icehowl , faction champs , onyxia etc. )

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Executia
    One additional advice for pve :

Specc into 30% reduced stuntime and 30% reduced feartime.
    It is a DPS increase on several encounters ( Icehowl , faction champs , onyxia etc. )
    No it isn't.